Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:33:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 236
Total: 236

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: It's Grindr's fault  (Read 5080 times)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
It's Grindr's fault
« on: July 23, 2012, 12:17:40 pm »
Global warming endangering the polar bears, the rainforest is being deforested and now technology is destroying the gay A-listers' "delicate social ecology".

GURL, GET OFF GRINDR!

http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/grindr-fire-island-2012-7/

Every summer weekend, a contingent of New York’s gay society escapes to Fire Island Pines, the small vacation community perched off the coast of Sayville, Long Island. The Pines has long held a special place in the American gay imagination—a resort where pretty and rich gay men go to relax, party, and get it on amid beautiful houses and pristine sand dunes. The community, and its more woman-friendly neighbor, Cherry Grove, have survived the AIDS epidemic, recessions, and, most recently, a fire that destroyed the Pines’ legendary nightclub. But now residents are worrying about a new menace, one that announces itself with a distinctive electronic chime.

“Grindr has changed everything,” says Keith Shore, a buff 38-year-old hairdresser and long-term Pines summer resident. He does not mean for the better, and he’s far from the only one to make the complaint. Critics say the popularity of the gay hookup app is ruining the island’s unique and delicate social ecology.

Log in to Grindr on Fire Island, as you would anywhere else, and you’ll see a grid of 100 smiling faces and headless muscled torsos, a catalogue of men accessible from the comfort of your summer share’s living room. (Although cell-phone service on the island can be spotty, most houses are equipped with Wi-Fi.) The app has been called a “virtual bathhouse” and been pegged by some as a reason for the decline of the gay bar, but in a place like Fire Island, it may be especially destructive. Aside from the beach, a large part of the attraction of the Pines scene is the opportunity to rub shoulders, and maybe sleep, with attractive and powerful gay men. “Not long ago, you’d walk around here and everybody would be cruising each other, not anonymously, but face to face,” said Sal Occhipinti, a tanned 43-year-old, at a recent afternoon “high tea” dance party in the Pines harbor. A few feet away, on the largely empty patio of the Blue Whale, a group of three men were busily typing on their devices next to the bar. According to Occhipinti, even the Meat Rack, the notoriously cruisy wooded area between the Pines and Cherry Grove, has been taken over by glowing iPhone screens.

As Occhipinti and others see it, Grindr is an intrusion of digital artifice into what was once an analog gay Utopia—a place free from traffic, straight people, and, to a large extent, technology, where you could meet other men with a freedom and spontaneity that were impossible almost anywhere else. Grindr, with its easy-to-use interface, robs that experience of its risk, but also much of its thrill. For Javier Muñiz, a first-time visitor from Florida, it makes him wonder whether the Pines may one day become irrelevant. “What’s the point?” he asked, before wandering off to check out the Blue Whale, “if everybody is on Grindr?”

PS. - I just checked and Windows Phone doesn't have a Grindr app. I guess gay Microsoft nerds like myself don't get laid.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: It's Grindr's fault
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 03:29:50 pm »
Don't you have an Ipad?

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 03:36:20 pm »
Don't you have an Ipad?

Ooh! I do! I didn't think of that.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 05:06:26 pm »
Heh....I read yesterday that the incoming Olympic athletes caused the Grindr network to crash from over use.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 05:48:50 pm »
I love love love Fire island.  I don't think even grindr could ruin it. 
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline Bbnb

• say Hi! I love to chat !
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 01:27:32 am »
Interesting article.  I like grinder, scruff, and other apps like it. Although , I do see the benefit to a live  area like a bathhouse.  You don't have to travel so much to others houses or  meetup places.  Less travel costs, lol.

I have to say I have enjoyed social networking sites that allow you to get together with a group for an activity that isn't always sex or alcohol involved, i.e. a bar. There is one in my local area that is about lgbt doing outdoorsy activities that I plan on joining. Hypocrite that I am though, I woulnt say no to fun with the right guy by meeting guys on these activities, lol.
Just looking to socialized with like minded people.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 09:08:27 pm »
I would NOT be a WHORE if it were taped... I'd be an ACTRESS!!

The Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter-day Saints
 8)  Have the best day
Michael

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 12:20:21 am »
I would NOT be a WHORE if it were taped... I'd be an ACTRESS!!

The Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter-day Saints
 8)  Have the best day
Michael

;D I will have to remember that one.

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 10:08:11 am »
from dark alleyways, to bars, to bathhouses, to Grindr's,  Ohhh My!!!  lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 04:18:12 pm »
This has nothing to do with Grindr or the fall of Fire Island but I think you'll forgive me.

Olympic Bodies - NSFW

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 07:32:33 pm »
This has nothing to do with Grindr or the fall of Fire Island but I think you'll forgive me.

Olympic Bodies - NSFW
Yes, The Ancient Greeks had the right idea, Keep it Naked!!!  and take pictures at different and better angles...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.