Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 04:17:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 192
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 159
Total: 159

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hi, new here & newly poz  (Read 5188 times)

Offline andy0812

Hi, new here & newly poz
« on: April 13, 2011, 03:44:48 pm »
Hi, my name is Andrew and I got diagnosed with HIV two weeks ago.  I was admitted to a hospital because I had a seizure, and they found it while I was there.  I was devastated when I heard the news.  The doctor told my parents (I'm 18), I'm not sure when I don't remember much, and then told me with my mom in the room and that made it that much harder, because I hadn't even "officially" came out to them.

Right now I just feel really frightened, and I feel huge regret knowing I could have prevented this all.  I dropped out of my second semester of college and I'm at home now and it's so frustrating.  The doctor said I had gotten the HIV around February, so it has been recent.  I contacted the people I had been with to let them know, and asked about their history and all of them said they were negative...so I don't know what's going on there.

My parents have been really good about this, they have been calm and understanding, along with my other family and friends.  I feel really sad and alone though because everyone is either at school all day or working.

They put me on three medications: Truvada, Reyataz, and Norvir.  I never knew how expensive HIV medications were.  I'm so grateful that we have good insurance to cover most of the cost.  I'm worried about the future, right now I'm under my dad's insurance and I don't know how long that's going to last, or how universal health care is going to work.  I definitely will not be able to afford it on my own.  Sorry if I sound stupid but I haven't followed any of that stuff.

I joined because I thought it would be nice to talk to other people that are in, or have been, in the same position I am.  Does anyone know about that combo of meds, and how they work?  I didn't get a lot of chance to talk to the doctor because I wasn't talking properly then.  Also, I had meningitis (that caused the seizure) and mono, would either of those have been connected to the HIV?  And my parents want me to take legal action against the person that gave it to me, but I honestly I don't know who gave it to me, and even if I did I wouldn't feel right taking legal action, because I was a part of it too.

Offline MiniPozToyota

Re: Hi, new here & newly poz
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 08:14:22 pm »
Hey man welcome to the site, there is a lot of people on this site that will help you out and a lot of info on here as well.... Do you know what your cd4 and Viral load is? any questions you have ill try to help you out just pm me or just write in your post. I just found out recently as well but I don't need meds just yet. Best of luck man and everything will be fine in a couple weeks, its a chronic virus now not a death sentence just remember that man. By the way I'm 26
April 2010- tested neg.
April 1 2011 -  CD4 346 VL 46856 22%
July 27 2011- Started Atripla
(Meds are good) needed more space to update been UD now for three years. Current down below
Jun 5 2014 - CD4 704 VL UD % 44.0

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 08:51:06 pm »
Hi Andy,

Wow, what a story. Sorry you had to go through all that.

A few things..

I dropped out of my second semester of college and I'm at home now and it's so frustrating.    - Dont let this get to you, this is just a bump in your life and you will be back on your feet in no time and be able to get right back into college.

I  and asked about their history and all of them said they were negative...so I don't know what's going on there -  sometimes people lie. Don't dwell on where you got it, or from whom. It wont do any good now. It's good you let them know though so they can go get tested.

My parents have been really good about this, they have been calm and understanding, along with my other family and friends. - This is a super good thing! Family and friends can be vital in helping you weather the new shock of all this.

And my parents want me to take legal action against the person that gave it to me, but I honestly I don't know who gave it to me, and even if I did I wouldn't feel right taking legal action, because I was a part of it too.  - I agree with you on this, it would do no good at this point. Your parents are just hurt that their son was infected and they want to lash out at the cause. Not to mention, legal action would be tough. I really admire your sense of taking responsibilty in this, and not blaming others. It's a good thing that you have completel;y bypassed the "blame game" ")

Bottom line here is you are going to be fine. If you take your meds as you are supposed to you will live a normal life, you will have friends, you will have relationships, you will have it all. Of course everyone goes through an adjustment period, just keep your chin up buddy and you'll get through this "weird" time right now. I promise.

You have plenty of friends here, so dont feel sad or lonely!

Hope to see you around.

-Will

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:48:22 pm »
welcome to the forum Andy!  you will be just fine!  recent diagnosis here myself back in november, although i'm a little older than you, or what the hell a lot older than you, but recently diagnosed. There are lots of good folks on this site, so if have any questions then just fire away.

mike
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 12:34:53 am »
Hi andy, really sorry to hear about your diagnosis but welcome to the forums.  I can tell from your post that you have the right attitude and in time, you're going to handle this just fine. We're all going through the same thing and pretty much the same emotions, so you're not alone. I also agree with you, that you were part of whatever happened, so suing someone achieves nothing and  its frankly counter productive to go down that road cos it'll just make the wound even more sore and achieve nothing cos your HIV won't go away. Btw,in the short term- just being around your family, hanging with your friends, playing sport and just generally takin it easy will help you feel much better! Hang in there!
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.