Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:18:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 351
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Are you dieting now?  (Read 81249 times)

Offline aferstilo

Re: Are you dieting now?
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2010, 01:11:55 am »
In my experience of now having the body i always wanted from being 20 pounds overweight i'll tell u that i lost it very fast by just ONLY eating when you are hungry in small portions after hunger goes away you stop eating. also there is P90x look it up on youtube, this was very painful but completly worth it.
1/13/09 CD4 1129/34.2% - VL 22,000
5/15/09 CD4 1300/33%   -  VL 35,000
11/17/09 CD4 659/ 23%  - VL 150,000
1/18/09  - STarted Atripla
2/18/10 Cd4 774- 30% - Vl 1,600
5/6/10   CD4 866 40% - VL Undetectable

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2010, 07:33:42 am »
I am saying to avoid fruit because it has sugar in it.  I am not saying that you have to avoid it forever.  You can reintroduce it to your diet once you have reached your weight goal.  Only then will you know what amount your body can handle with going over your weight goal.

I don't care why the diet says to avoid it.  If a diet says to avoid fruit to lose weight, something just ain't right.  Again, if it works for you, fine -- but I can't sit silently while you are trying to convince others of this diet.  People don't get fat eating fruit -- but MANY people lose weight by eating fruit in place of other things.

Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2010, 09:39:37 am »
I'll have to try that regimen.  Does it come with a work-out DVD?

Yes, and lots of house remixes of Mariah Scarey playing in the background.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2010, 10:08:51 am »
I don't care why the diet says to avoid it.  If a diet says to avoid fruit to lose weight, something just ain't right.  Again, if it works for you, fine -- but I can't sit silently while you are trying to convince others of this diet.  People don't get fat eating fruit -- but MANY people lose weight by eating fruit in place of other things.

Mike
k...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2010, 10:11:59 am »

Mike
Actually, I haven't had a fruit, the kind you pick off trees, in 30 days.  I am thinking that I will have a peach for Christmas.   :)

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2010, 10:16:13 am »
The thing about the atkins diet (and why I call it a fad diet) is it advises you to drop all sugar completely in order to enter the state of keytosis.  Even naturally occuring sugars, which to me are good sugars.  I'm much more a fan of moderating your eating habits and not gorging on large quantities of calories.  At the same time however I snack on a lot of low-cal foods anyway.
For example?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2010, 12:56:40 pm »
For example?

Whole pickles, Peppercinni peppers, rice cakes.  All high sodium, but sodium is not a concern in my diet.

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2010, 02:38:59 pm »
What kind of exercise do you do?  Running, walking, weights?
I was thinking that instead of big bone, you may have massive muscle. 

I have these exercises given to me at Physical Therapy. They involve stretching, kind of like Pilates. Takes about 15 minutes. They were more interested in working my legs due to the poor circulation, so I do lunges and leg lifts. Then, I garden, and do yard work.  Working those hedge clippers are great for the arms and upper body. Then, I have a pile of dirt that I am moving to fill the hole where the pool used to be. I do about four wheelbarrow loads a day.

"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline next2u

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2010, 10:44:43 pm »
when will be the pool be done? i'm sure you have it all planned out. by the time you get to your ideal weight your pool will be ready for your bikini clad body.
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2010, 04:40:28 pm »
I have some very good news to report about myself.  I am at 201lbs, and that is with pants and undies.  With this type of progress, my goal to reach under 200 lbs will be reach sooner than hoped.  All is well, except that I was up all night spring cleaning.  Now I am in a dirt free environment for at least one day.    ;D

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2010, 04:46:37 pm »
Up all night "cleaning" you say?  Sounds a bit like that diet I recommended earlier in the thread!

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2010, 04:10:57 am »
Up all night "cleaning" you say?  Sounds a bit like that diet I recommended earlier in the thread!
I know, just a natural high.  That's still legal right?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2010, 09:45:29 am »
I know, just a natural high.  That's still legal right?

I'm looking into ways to tax it for more revenue as we speak.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2010, 01:45:45 pm »
I'm looking into ways to tax it for more revenue as we speak.
Just when it was safe to walk the streets, a capitalist taxes the sidewalk.  How interesting.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2010, 02:24:19 pm »
I think I am over the hump and I am on my way to my set goal.  According to my updated schedule, I should reach my weight goal in 90 days or 3 months which is by mid October.  I have already seen a difference for my legs don't hug the thigh of my pants.  Also, my large shirts looks bigger on me.  I am a bit worried that I am losing to quickly, but I wont panic.  Today, my meals consist of for breakfast, 2 egg whites and a small salad, for lunch, Chicken Dijon and broccoli and for dinner, fried tofu with spinash and a salad.  Wow, I usually eat way more that that, but I am seriously aware of that.  I must make an effort to let my mind adjust to the new eating habit.  Right now I am still around 200 lbs and by next week I hope to be just under 200 lbs.  I will do my measurements this Friday.  Wish me luck.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:34:35 pm by red_Dragon888 »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2010, 03:06:12 pm »

On Medpage today :

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/DietNutrition/20702?utm_content=GroupCL&utm_medium=email&impressionId=1276666939690&utm_campaign=DailyHeadlines&utm_source=mSpoke&userid=73322

New Diet Guidelines Focus on Unhealthy Population
By Kristina Fiore, Staff Writer, MedPage Today
Published: June 15, 2010

The latest set of national dietary guidelines acknowledges that many Americans are unhealthy and emphasizes efforts to battle the obesity epidemic.

In addition to lower sodium and saturated and trans fat goals, the recommendations from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) also call for policymakers and the food industry to become engaged in the fight.

"The most important issue is that this set of guidelines is addressing an unhealthy American public for the first time," said Linda V. Van Horn, PhD, RD, LD, of Northwestern University, the chair of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee. "The obesity epidemic is priority number one, and every single thing in this report is focused on addressing that problem up front."

Yet in terms of intake recommendations, there are not many changes from the last guidelines update in 2005.

Fat and Salt Intake Top Changes

The changes in fat consumption are among the biggest new recommendations. The new guidance urges that saturated fat intake be cut from 10% of total daily energy consumption to just 7%, with more emphasis on calories from the more healthful mono- and polyunsaturated fats.

And the trans fat intake recommendation has been cut in half -- from 1% to 0.5%, with the idea being to eat as few of these fatty acids as possible, Van Horn told MedPage Today in an interview.

Another key change is in the sodium intake recommendation. The 2005 guidelines put it at 2,300 mg per day for the general population. However, since 70% of Americans have diabetes, heart disease, obesity, or some other risk factor, the new recommended daily allowance is 1,500 mg. That was the number set in the old guidelines only for the high-risk group.

The advisory also encourages increased potassium intake because the element helps attenuate the effects of sodium on blood pressure.

Still, there are no new recommendations in terms of cholesterol consumption, which stands at 300 mg per day for healthy adults, and less than 200 mg daily for high-risk individuals.

And recommendations for protein and carbohydrate intake have remained relatively unchanged, although the new guidelines call for a shift to a more plant-based diet that focuses on nutrient-rich rather than energy-dense foods.

"Recognizing underconsumption of key nutrients like dietary fiber will go a long way toward helping people consume the nutrients they are missing by shifting intake toward lower energy but higher nutrient-dense foods," Van Horn said.

That means eating more vegetables, fruits, whole grains, seafood, and low-fat milk and dairy products while cutting back on refined grains, added sugars, and solid fats -- particularly those found in sugar-sweetened beverages and desserts, the researchers said.

Specifically, recommended seafood intake is two, four-ounce servings per week, to accrue 250 mg per day of omega-3 fatty acids including docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA).

Van Horn says the changes in diet and nutrient intake "won't happen overnight," and expects the process to be gradual.

Skeptics Abound

Nutrition experts say one of the most challenging changes will be the sodium recommendations.

"No one made it down to only the 2005 recommended max of 2,300 mg of sodium daily," said Keith Ayoob, EdD, RD, of Albert Einstein College of Medicine, in New York City. "If people have trouble reaching [that] mark, then 1,500 mg will be even tougher."

Connie Diekman, MEd, RD, LD, of Washington University in St. Louis, said that most Americans eat 3,000 to 8,000 mg of sodium per day: "Why not develop better ways to get them to 2,300 and then see how that impacts the incidence of hypertension?"

Ayoob added that the earlier recommendations "allow people a condiment here and there, and even a bowl of soup, especially if it's a reduced sodium one. That would be more realistic for consumers, and it would still require some changes to how people eat."

Van Horn said meeting the goals will also require the cooperation of policymakers and the food industry.

The idea is to provide incentives to offer healthier products, she said. Ideally, companies should take "key products and gradually but deliberately reduce [for example] the sodium contents of those foods."

"As the American palate gradually adjusts," she said, "those food products can remain front and center in the American diet but not contribute the excessive amounts of sugar, fats, and salt."

Diekman said the key will be "helping consumers change their taste palate so that the shift in food choices is achievable."

The guidelines also recommend against a daily multivitamin and encourage moderate alcohol intake, at no more than a drink a day for women and two for men.

They also address food safety issues, outline four key steps to prevent foodborne illness: "clean, separate, cook, and chill."

In a prepared statement, Margo G. Wootan, nutrition policy director for the Center for Science in the Public Interest, applauded the committee for recognizing that "what is most needed is an unprecedented effort to help people follow the Dietary Guidelines, including changes in policy and the food environment.

"The report wisely recommends that USDA and HHS develop a national strategy to help people eat better, including ramping up nutrition education, expanding access to fruits and vegetables, and getting industry to provide more-healthful products."

National dietary guidelines were first published in 1980 and are reviewed every five years. They new set of guidelines is open for public comment until July 15.

This article was developed in collaboration with ABC News.
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2010, 07:16:44 am »

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/DietNutrition/20702?utm_content=GroupCL&utm_medium=email&impressionId=1276666939690&utm_campaign=DailyHeadlines&utm_source=mSpoke&userid=73322

New Diet Guidelines Focus on Unhealthy Population
By Kristina Fiore, Staff Writer, MedPage Today
Published: June 15, 2010

National dietary guidelines were first published in 1980 and are reviewed every five years. They new set of guidelines is open for public comment until July 15.

This article was developed in collaboration with ABC News.

So what is your comment and where do you fit in this category? 

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2010, 07:20:40 am »
The problem is growing and people need to realize that obesity, diabetes, and heart disease will cause problems for them either now or later in life. 

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2010, 07:23:31 am »

I am in the too much sodium, and just a little too much fat category !   :P      Obese, I am not though.  This is why I mentioned the Cardiac diet, That I am currently on.

EDITED , to add no further comment, Just an intereresting email I received, the other day

Ray
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 07:29:05 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2010, 09:49:08 pm »
I am in the too much sodium, and just a little too much fat category !   :P      Obese, I am not though.  This is why I mentioned the Cardiac diet, That I am currently on.

EDITED , to add no further comment, Just an intereresting email I received, the other day

Ray
I may have asked this before, and sorry if I did, but what is your meal plan?  What do you have for Breakfast, for Lunch, for Dinner and/or for snacks?

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2010, 09:56:17 pm »
Ray
I use to put salt on my eggs for breakfast, and in my cooking for lunch and dinner.  I have a blood pressure machine and it has been reading what I deem high. Last reading was June 11th and it read 133/93 heart rate 107. Since then, I don't add salt to anything.  I hope that there is enough salt in the chicken, tofu, and veggies but I haven't felt sick or anything.  I have seen Dr. Oz show on how much salt one needs daily, which about one third teaspoon.  I must be in that range since I cook my meals and don't add salt.  I will check again tonight and tomorrow to see if it dropped to normal range.   My BP machine may not be accurate for it is around a year old and these machines when old sometimes give erroneous results. 

P.S.  Canned salmon was my Friday meal or now and then meal, but I stopped that on June 9th.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:02:45 pm by red_Dragon888 »

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2010, 10:09:28 pm »
I will do my measurements tomorrow but here are my measurements from June 2nd and June 10th.

neck   15   15
chest   43   42
stomach   41   40.5
waist   42   40
butt   44   42.5
thigh   26.5   25.5
calf   16.5   16
bicep   14   14
wt   213   209

I would put a graph of my weight loss which is on Microsoft Excel, but I don't know how.  Could someone help me with this please?

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2010, 10:49:23 pm »
"The Today Show" investigated frozen diet meals and their claims of calories, fat, etc.  The results are surprising.  Some are way more than what it says and others actually lower.  This is true for all food--not just diet meals.  I never knew the gov't allows them to be off by so much.  When your food says it has 300 calories, it very well could have 500.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/37726086#37726086

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2010, 01:09:56 am »
Well, as of yesterday, I had dropped slightly more than 11 pounds, which puts me at 175 pounds. I need to lose about 10 more pounds so I can weigh in at about 165 pounds.

That will put me comfortably in the middle of the weight range for someone of my height, which is 5'11".

I also had labs done this week.  :o

I have been quite naughty recently and not watched my fat intake as I should. I am not looking forward to the doctor visit next week.

Regarding what I eat, I alternate things so I don't become bored with anything.

What really helped me is portion control. I simply cut back on what eat at each setting. I will eat more often, but usually try to keep it as healthy as I can.

Wish me luck on the next 10 pounds.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2010, 06:51:36 am »

What really helped me is portion control. I simply cut back on what eat at each setting. I will eat more often, but usually try to keep it as healthy as I can.

Wish me luck on the next 10 pounds.

HUGS,

Mark

Congratulations Mark on your ten pounds loss.  I hope you will reach your goal.  Now for my measurements:  neck is 15”; chest is 40”; stomach is 40”; butt is 42”; thigh is 25.5”; calf is 16”; bicep is 13.5”.  I am over 30 days into my new lifestyle change and it looks good; although, I feel there is a lull now, but that was to be expected.  I look forward to reaching my weight goal of 170 to 160 lbs.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 06:53:48 am by red_Dragon888 »

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2010, 01:34:51 pm »
I have read what everyone has said about diets and things. I have noticed that no one has mentioned drinking grapefruit juice. I have given up Pepsi and drink plenty of grapefruit juice which I am told burns fat. It must be working because when I went home for a visit, everyone noticed the weight loss. Even security at the airport noticed it after looking at my ID and asked what did I do to lose.

I have never had a problem with BP and maybe that is because I don't eat salt at all. My problem is that I love red meat especially steak. But I have been eating more chicken and I don't fry my food anymore. I grill all of my meat on the Foreman grill. Plus I have always loved veggies except for beans.

What I need to do is figure out what exercises to do to tighten up my core area without going to the gym.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2010, 02:02:30 pm »
I have read what everyone has said about diets and things. I have noticed that no one has mentioned drinking grapefruit juice. I have given up Pepsi and drink plenty of grapefruit juice which I am told burns fat. It must be working because when I went home for a visit, everyone noticed the weight loss. Even security at the airport noticed it after looking at my ID and asked what did I do to lose.

I have never had a problem with BP and maybe that is because I don't eat salt at all. My problem is that I love red meat especially steak. But I have been eating more chicken and I don't fry my food anymore. I grill all of my meat on the Foreman grill. Plus I have always loved veggies except for beans.

What I need to do is figure out what exercises to do to tighten up my core area without going to the gym.

A lot of HIV meds react poorly with grapefruit Queen.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2010, 04:08:50 pm »
Oh really, thanks for informing me. I am not on any meds at the moment. I should've thought of that since my sister who is neg can't drink grapefruit juice because she is on lisinopril, I think it is.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2010, 04:15:01 pm »
Oh really, thanks for informing me. I am not on any meds at the moment. I should've thought of that since my sister who is neg can't drink grapefruit juice because she is on lisinopril, I think it is.

Yeah I didn't remember you talking about meds so I wasn't sure.  I actually didn't know that until someone else pointed it out to me and I looked it up.  I don't like grapefruit anyway though :D

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2010, 06:13:56 pm »
Yeah I didn't remember you talking about meds so I wasn't sure.  I actually didn't know that until someone else pointed it out to me and I looked it up.  I don't like grapefruit anyway though :D

I know I am being lazy but do you know why grapefruit juice doesn't mix well with meds or which meds it is?
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2010, 06:30:36 pm »
I know I am being lazy but do you know why grapefruit juice doesn't mix well with meds or which meds it is?

Queen,

I'm not sure but I think it has something to do with absorption issues.  
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2010, 07:37:24 pm »
How does grapefruit interact with medicines?
Eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice affects how your body metabolizes (processes) certain medicines. Chemicals in grapefruit stop certain enzymes that normally process medicines from working correctly, which can cause higher levels of some medicines in your body. This makes it more likely that you will experience side effects from the medicine. Certain types of oranges, such as Pomelo and Seville, can also cause similar effects.

Interactions can happen up to 3 days after eating or drinking grapefruit. This means you cannot drink grapefruit juice in the morning and take your medicines later in the day to stop possible medicine interactions.

The only drug I can find that it interacts with is Saquinavir, but it is suggested that you avoid drinking grapejuice while taking Atripla as well.

"It is recommended that you avoid drinking grapefruit juice while taking this medicine, as it could alter the blood level of the medicine."

Looks like that's standard amongst all HIV meds, but once again the only thing I could find information on it interacting with is saquinavir no idea what the brand name is.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2010, 08:09:37 pm »
Actually when the first version of saquinavir came out in 1996 LaRoche recommended the opposite -- that you were to drink grapefruit juice.

http://www.thebody.com/content/treat/art30197.html

They came out with Fortovase in 1997, which was just saquinavir reformulated for better absorption boosted by Norvir, so you didn't have to drink grapefruit juice.

If it's "recommended" with Atripla, which I'd never heard, I guess it's for the Sustiva component because it's not instructed to do this with Truvada.  I've not taken Sustiva for over a decade and was only on a very short time so maybe I'm forgetting much of this.

But regardless, if you're drinking more than a glass of juice daily from grapefruits I'd run this by your doctor as it is known to effect various medications.  I find it odd that someone thinks this makes you "burn fat" when it's obvious that just halting the daily consumption of soft drinks will make you shed pounds.  I'd love to read more about this spectacular claim.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2010, 08:21:54 pm »
If it's "recommended" with Atripla, which I'd never heard, I guess it's for the Sustiva component because it's not instructed to do this with Truvada.  I've not taken Sustiva for over a decade and was only on a very short time so maybe I'm forgetting much of this.

I think you misread me, it's recommended to avoid it.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2010, 08:32:22 pm »
I think you misread me, it's recommended to avoid it.

Yeah, well you should let Ben know

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Archive/Interactions/Q187776.html

Is this on the package insert?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2010, 08:48:22 pm »
Yeah, well you should let Ben know

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Archive/Interactions/Q187776.html

Is this on the package insert?

Actually just skimmed over the package insert and couldn't find any reference to it

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2010, 08:51:23 pm »
Actually just skimmed over the package insert and couldn't find any reference to it

So basically you gave out incorrect information on two medications due to lack of links.  Got chittlins?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2010, 09:03:41 pm »
So basically you gave out incorrect information on two medications due to lack of links.  Got chittlins?

What I did was make a mistake, then I admitted to it.  I specifically stated that saquinavir was the only drug spelled out to completely avoid taking grapejuice with and followed up with it is recommended (by doctors) to potentially avoid grapefruit juice while taking hiv meds in general (PI's in specific).

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2010, 09:22:36 pm »
What I did was make a mistake, then I admitted to it.  I specifically stated that saquinavir was the only drug spelled out to completely avoid taking grapejuice with and followed up with it is recommended (by doctors) to potentially avoid grapefruit juice while taking hiv meds in general (PI's in specific).

No, you got the saquinavir thing wrong too -- read my posts and the links.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2010, 02:31:09 am »
When I started meds in March 1996,  I took Saquinavir. I fully remember being told by the doctor to drink 8 ounces of grapefruit juice with every dose, which was three times a day.

I was not happy. I have GERD.

But I do adore grapefruit. I will eat one every so often. It doesn't seem to interact with my regimen at this time.

Regarding its prohibition, here is a link to a blurb about it from 2004:

http://www.poz.com/articles/159_447.shtml

Here is a part of the article:

Grapefruit juice (GFJ to its friends), like all citrus, bursts with crucial nutrients like vitamins C and A, antioxidants and potassium. But if you’re on HIV meds, squeeze an orange, lemon, lime or tangerine instead of a grapefruit. GFJ jacks up bloodstream levels of some HIV meds—especially protease inhibitors—too quickly, increasing the potential for harmful side effects. An equal-opportunity booster, GFJ also increases levels of antihistamines and drugs for blood pressure, high cholesterol and anxiety.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2010, 07:15:06 am »

Well, I have tried grapefruit when I was in my mid to late teens and I did loose a lot of weight but I was also forced to eat three meals a day for I was in Summer College in an upstate college. It was like summer school boot camp for inner city kids.  Before then, I had free range of the refrigerator, eat anything I want at any time, and it showed.  I think with grapefruit, it acts like an appetite suppressant.   You just do not feel like eating anything else after a grapefruit drink or fruit. It could be the acidity after taste.  That and daily exercise like walking, jogging, calisthenics, swimming, etc adds to the energy/fat burning process.  Find an exercise that you feel comfortable with and like to do.  I like walking around the city so to see the sites, which adds to my daily routine.  However, weight training is the ultimate in the fat burning process for me.  One hour of lifting weights five times a week carefully monitored will, really buildup muscle mass and reduce fat tissue.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2010, 07:16:46 am »
A lot of HIV meds react poorly with grapefruit Queen.
I know that is out there but check with your doctor first. I asked my doctor and she said that with Atripla it is not a problem.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2010, 07:38:03 am »
A terrible thing happened, I have found several pictures of myself taken in June 2007 and I must have been 170 lbs.  Then I have found one picture of me in December 2007, the same year and I must of gain 50 pounds which makes my mass around 240 lbs.  In the June pictures, I was smiling, happy and slim, in the December picture, I was huge, and I hid my face.  :( Oh the shame of it all…  lol  Now its June of 2010, I am 200 lbs and have 30 more pounds to go.  Piece of cake…  (Sorry for the food reference)  I mean No Problem….
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 07:41:18 am by red_Dragon888 »

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2010, 07:24:30 am »
I have reached the 200 lbs barrier.  I just weight myself and I am 199 lbs.  Great, now only 39 lbs to go.

Offline Grinch

« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2010, 09:45:58 am »
I have reached the 200 lbs barrier.  I just weight myself and I am 199 lbs.  Great, now only 39 lbs to go.

I applaud your efforts.  Let me pose the following however.
You are losing weight at nearly double the recommended pace of 2 lbs per week.  This is the maximum that most physicians recommend.
Losing weight at a rapid pace usually involves significant muscle loss.
Muscle uses more energy measured in calories than fat to maintain its self.
This means loss of muscle actually hurts your progress after the initial water weight plateau.
The goal should be to increase your metabolism as well as reducing your intake of calories.

Is the number weight in lbs more important than your body shape and composition?
Skinny fat really is not a good look on anyone.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2010, 12:59:42 am »
I agree and a bit worried.  This happen the last time, so I am not surprise, and then I thought the Aids was the problem.  I am seeing my Doctor in 2 weeks so i will ask her if I am in danger.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2010, 12:04:05 am »
I have just went through all my pants and realize if I do get to a size 30" waist, out of the forty or so pants I still own, only one pants that is size 30".  I have like five 42", an ten 38" and ten 36" and fifteen 34".  My room for a while looked like a department store of jeans and slacks.  Well, I had my ups and downs but to see it in clothes is an eye opening-er.  I remember when I had to buy a size 50" pants.  I would not toss them for fear of the weight coming back, but maybe it is better to toss and keep to the diet.  Now my waist size is 40.  Yeah, I hate to admit but at least inches are going down.  Only 10" and 35 more pounds to go, maybe in 3 months.  I have to keep real goals.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2010, 06:08:59 am »
Well, I am down to 194 lbs, which was somewhat fast.  I have hanged on to 199 lbs so long (four or five days), that I thought that where I was going to stay.  No real hunger to talk about, as compared to before; I would be raiding the refrigerator for a sandwich or something.  

Funny, but I had not had my "vitamin sugar" in the form of a cake, candy bar or bag of chips in a long time.  Before the diet, I thought I would die without such foods. (I guess that was the addiction talking) Now my breakfast is a tofu salad mixed with celery, olive oil with salt and pepper. My lunches are late, I have chicken with sour cream spinach, and I skip dinner.  

To myself, I am like a dying elephant, but whose body is turning into a buff lion.  I still compare the pics I had when I was slim (June 2007) to the recent big pics and I am amazed in the difference.  Mostly sadden but amazed.  This is like living an episode of "The Biggest Loser" without the gunshot trainers on my ass, the embarrassments and the hype.  I have started lifting weights and swimming, which it adds to my calorie burning and general well being.

I am just eating more responsibly and simply staying away from the bad foods to reach my goals.  It was hell in the beginning, but it is easier now.  Of course, at this point to lose is on thing; to keep off is another story and the real goal.  Heck, I am fifty-one this year and I must try to keep healthy by staying within my weight limit, lower my cholesterol and having a normal blood pressure.  

Besides the HIV in my system, everything is great.  Well, measurements are tomorrow and I hope to have lost (actually I know I have lost) an inch or more on the waist.  
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 06:13:10 am by red_Dragon888 »

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2010, 11:21:15 am »
Ms. P--

Yes, I did notice the difference when I stopped drinking the Pepsi. But I was still continuing to lose when I was drinking the grapefruit juice. A gymrat told me that grapefruit juice burns fat. I tend to believe it because at the time, it was basically the only thing I was drinking with an occassional glass of water. Maybe hiking up and down the subway stairs prolly helped too. Who knows?

Now if I could lose this pouch from 3 C-sections, that would be lovely. I want to have a slim waist and a gangster booty.... ;D
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2010, 01:45:17 pm »
Ms. P--

Now if I could lose this pouch from 3 C-sections, that would be lovely. I want to have a slim waist and a gangster booty.... ;D
;)  me too...  lol

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.