Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 01:17:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37681
  • Latest: huangDi
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773466
  • Total Topics: 66368
  • Online Today: 249
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 240
Total: 240

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: watching a pos spouse not take care of himself  (Read 3843 times)

Offline 8yearsoflove

• negative in love with a positive
watching a pos spouse not take care of himself
« on: March 09, 2014, 06:51:28 pm »
So, I am really anxious about posting this because I know that the responses I'm going to get, though correct, are not going to be what I want to hear.
My long term boyfriend (common law husband) was diagnosed with aids and his levels are now undetectable. (Yay) that being said being with him is so frustrating sometimes because he is terrible about taking his meds on time (despite my constant reminders even handing them to him with a glass of water) he refuses to eat rigjt, quit smoking, or get his bad teeth fixed like his doctor repeatedly asks. He won't talk about it or exercise.
It sometimes makes me want to give up because it seems like he is slowly killing himself. I feel like I am giving up being a mother for you the least you can do is brush your damn teeth!
Is there anyone else who is forced to watch their spouse give up.
The strain he has was already immune to almost every drug so when his body becomes immune to this one unless they come out with a new drug this year is the only chance he has. Is it fair for him to expect me to watch him die in the hospital with nothing I can do?!? Sometimes we argue because I wake up and see his pills sitting there and out of anger and hurt say "why don't you just quit now!" Obviously it's not what I want,but it's how I feel. Sometimes he will also say "if you leave me I'm going to quit taking my meds" which makes me even angrier. I just want some advice,or maybe perspective. Do you think he's ready to give up? Does anyone else have this problem? Please try to be kind in your response. I'm aware this is not right.
Shan

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: watching a pos spouse not take care of himself
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 07:19:13 pm »
Hello there. Of course you and your spouse are in a difficult situation.  Try to remember to be kind to yourself.  Don’t be mean to him because you are not doing what you need for yourself, your life, your time management, your heart.   Fix yourself you don’t need to fix him.  Here are some thoughts:

So, I am really anxious about posting this because I know that the responses I'm going to get, though correct, are not going to be what I want to hear.

I’m curious what you expect the “correct” response forum members are going to give you.  Maybe you should write out the response to your own post, to see what you think is correct, and see if it holds water or if you can change your perspective and consider other responses.

My long term boyfriend (common law husband) was diagnosed with aids and his levels are now undetectable. (Yay) that being said being with him is so frustrating sometimes because he is terrible about taking his meds on time (despite my constant reminders even handing them to him with a glass of water) he refuses to eat rigjt, quit smoking, or get his bad teeth fixed like his doctor repeatedly asks. He won't talk about it or exercise.

Extremely precise timing often isn’t that important.  How precise of a timing are you aiming for? 

Lots of people, + or neg, have a challenge to eat right and quit smoking.  But yeah, quitting smoking is the second most important thing he can do for his health after the HIV medicine adherence….   Still, you can lead a horse to water, as they say…

As for the teeth – well – is expense an issue?  Just wondering. Lots of people don’t fix their teeth because they don’t really have the budget..  I've had periods like that.

It sometimes makes me want to give up because it seems like he is slowly killing himself. I feel like I am giving up being a mother for you the least you can do is brush your damn teeth!

Yes obviously he should brush at least.  Ick.  This can be a very basic divisive issue in a relation – hygiene.  You have to reach some compromise, OR, maybe you really can’t deal with him in his daily condition.  Meaning, if he can not be considerate enough to brush his teeth -- for himself AND out of respect for you... Um. Its messed up... Is he depressed?  Maybe!  Any treatment for depression or mental health?

Did he smoke when you met him?  Was he ever into exercise?  Was his diet healthy and now has gone hill?  Or was he always a bad eater?  Did he have good oral hygiene and good teeth when you met?  If he's always been like he is now, its not going to be easy to change. But its possible...

Is there anyone else who is forced to watch their spouse give up.
The strain he has was already immune to almost every drug so when his body becomes immune to this one unless they come out with a new drug this year is the only chance he has.

Are you SURE you have the right info there??  Obviously its important to stick to the medicine and prevent resistance.  But that he is on his last treatment option --- hmm. Would you mind be more specific please and saying what exactly his combo is…..

Is it fair for him to expect me to watch him die in the hospital with nothing I can do?!? Sometimes we argue because I wake up and see his pills sitting there and out of anger and hurt say "why don't you just quit now!" Obviously it's not what I want, but it's how I feel.

You have no right to say something like that, bold above. Its hurtful, mean, and is destroying your relation.  If you want out, then go...  If you love him you can still make your limits.  The limits might require radical change, maybe even that you are no longer a couple and you don’t live together, and if you want, love him as a friend but make a new life for yourself.

Sometimes he will also say "if you leave me I'm going to quit taking my meds" which makes me even angrier.

He has no right to say that. It’s a guilt trip and very manipulative. While its human, it’s poisonous. 

I think the both of you need to talk this out and find some forward movement.  Can you do that 1-1 or can you get a therapist or counsellor of some sort to help sort out these issues?  Seems like a log jam.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:49:51 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline ohwell

Re: watching a pos spouse not take care of himself
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 03:11:34 pm »
I'm not defending him or myself but we all are flawed humans. I'm undetectable and i take my meds when i have to (i have an app in my phone that reminds me when to take my pills and when they'll run out, it's really simple).
At the beginning i started smoking like crazy in my mind i was killing me faster so i could set my partner free of me. But then that changed and i regained balance. But then again i'm human i realized i couldnt quit smoking even though i was not smiking as usual, i couldnt give it up (that includes, alcohol weed and some other stuff that dont do any good), the thing is hiv doent change you, i was prone to addiction before and i am now, but i exercise take my meds etc...

What i'm trying to say if your partner didnt take care of his teeth before why whould he now?
they made me do it

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.