Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:26:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 348
Total: 349

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 2nd Dr. appt and Gilead "NAIVE" (Integrase Inhibitors) - Opinions?  (Read 9098 times)

Offline Elephant

Well, I'm back from my 2nd ID Dr. appt.

Not all the bloodwork was done in time. The CD4 was 475 (Up from my 1st test)
I'm still pending some test to determine the strain and the VL count. (my last vl was 26,000)

My Dr. said my "numbers are good". If I want to start meds it's an option right now. I don't have to if I don't want to.
     He also said I had the option of participating in Gilead "NAIVE". This is the new 'Integrase Inhibitors' meds. They would be taken twice a day.

I still have to wait on the rest of the bloodwork results, but I'm torn over if I should start the meds or not and if I should participate in Gilead "NAIVE". (Enrollment for Gilead "NAIVE" starts next week so If I choose that I would be starting meds.)

I know ultimately this is all my choice but . . . . . thoughts? Anyone?

:-/

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: 2nd Dr. appt and Gilead "NAIVE" (Integrase Inhibitors) - Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 04:11:58 pm »
The Gilead one would be Elvitegravir (GS-9137)

http://www.aidsmeds.com/archive/GS-9137_1638.shtml

The integrase inhibitor class is new, with Isentress being the first one and it was FDA approved 16 months ago.  I've been on Isentress that long with great results, and absolutely zero side effects.  I can't speak specifically to Elvitegravir, but if it's similar then it's a good option.  Also, the study you'd be in is the one with the "Norvir replacement" new med GS-9350 which hopefully I'll be going on in the next 3 months.  Supposedly it's easier on one's digestive trace.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 04:48:33 pm »
This is for Gilead's new quad pill. One thing though the study is a blind study so you will be given either the new quad regimen or Atripla. It shouldn't be too difficult to tell which one you are on though since Atripla has such distinct central nervous system side effects.

Offline Elephant

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 07:46:55 pm »
What are "distinct central nervous system side effects"?

(I'm new to all of this so forgive me if I ask dumb questions.)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 08:03:18 pm »
Go to the link (which, btw, you can access all med info at the top of this page by clicking on "treatment" and then "drugs") and read the side effects section:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/archive/Sustiva_1615.shtml

Keep in mind that most people do not experience these things, but a (vocal) minority can, especially with a pre-diagnosis mental issue whether that's been actually diagnosed or not.

Offline Elephant

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 08:16:01 pm »
Ty.

The depression does scare me. I'm considering doing this treatment but I guess I need to find out if I get depression if it's safe to stop the treatment.

(I'm holding up well all considered but I am keeping myself busy so I don't dwell on this. I'm avoiding all of this things we shouldn't say or dwell on or talk about, but it's  all in my head... I'm afraid if the medicine makes me depressed I won't be able to "back burner" what's already in my head now. I feel like a fri'ck'in Vulcan on the edge....  Getting off topic... Sorry. I'll make a different post.)

1 Month this Thursday since I found out.

Back on topic. Thank you for the info all.

I think I will try the new stuff provisional I can stop if it f'ckz with my head.

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 09:31:27 pm »
Quad should not have the same nervous system effects as Atripla but by particpating in this study you will run the chance of taking one or the other during the course. It is your right to leave the study at anytime due to side effect issues. In fact that is precisely why these trials are done, i.e to evaluate tolerances and unintended side effects. Who knows you may get lucky and get put into the Quad group. Good luck.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 01:20:37 pm »
Yeah Elephant, I wouldn't stress on it that much if you go into the trial.  Like Freaky said you can bail on it at any time.  Anyway, Atripla is what most naive'ers would be going on in the first place.  I guess I'd only shy away from enrollment if I had a pre-existing bi-polar diagnosis or something, which I'll assume you do not.  Any depression you might be feeling in your first month post-diagnosis is situational in nature and is most likely not a long-term thing.

If you want my absolute opinion I'd probably just go for it and do the study.  The Elvitegravir/quad pill is a great new development, and if you get Atripla instead it's still very effective.  I don't see much of a downside frankly.

Offline Elephant

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 10:17:50 am »
I got the Consent forms. I'm reading through the book... err I mean 23 pages now.
(It's amazing how wordy people can be.)

The medicine they would be testing on me is called elvitegravir (EVG) and GS-3950. (and there will be two FDA approved meds also. Emtriva and Viread) The full combination I'd be getting would be ... EVG/FTC/TDF/GS-9350.

I feel like I'm in an area-51 test area, it's all foreign to me.

This is a double blind study of 75 people in the US.

More when I know more . . . . (I'm still reading the papers, it's slow going since a lot of this is new to me. OK most of it's new to me.)

Offline Elephant

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 11:37:28 am »
The appt. went well.
I did all the entrance screening.

I also got my numbers from 2 weeks ago.
VL 27,000, CD4 475 (18%)

Offline ocguy79

• Grindr Sucks
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 10:53:36 am »
The appt. went well.
I did all the entrance screening.

I also got my numbers from 2 weeks ago.
VL 27,000, CD4 475 (18%)
I went on monday to complete my screening. I should know in a week or so.
3/21/09 - Tested Poz   Tcells/374   VL/109,000
9/02/09 - Tcells/290  VL/189,000
9/11/09 - Approved for ADAP
9/15/09 - Started Truvada, Isentress and Kaletra
6/15/11 - Undetectable - (On same meds as above)
7/20/11 - Started Atripla
12/10/13 - Tcells/620 - VL/0

Offline Elephant

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 09:16:04 pm »
I'm  now in week 3 and my numbers are all better and no side effects.
Since it's a double blind I won't know if I'm on the new drug or atripla but I've hadn't experienced any side effects yet so I'm glad!

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 11:17:58 pm »
Hey Elephant,

Great news,

Most people ( over 60% ) on Efavirenz ( part of Atripla ) experience some of the CNS side effects, and 25% experience these side effects so severely that there ability to funciton on a day to day basis is effected.  This is independant as to whether or not the person has an underlying Axis 1 mental illness - http://www.i-base.info/guides/side/efavirenz.html

From your report it is unlikely that you are taking this drug - great news.
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline Elephant

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 06:32:26 pm »
What I'm getting is either the placebo (what they are compairing the other drug against is Atripla). I'll be either getting Atripla or the quad drug.

The experimental drug is made up of 4 drugs.

Two experimental drugs
elvitegravir (EVG)
GS-9350

FDA approved
Emtriva (emtricitabine) [FTC]
Viread (tenofovir DF) [TDF]

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.