Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:35:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 359
Total: 359

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How long will I live?  (Read 4922 times)

Offline Andy@Sef

How long will I live?
« on: September 12, 2017, 03:18:07 am »
Hi Everyone,

I have been diagnosed with HIV last year and immediately seek medical attention when I found out. I've had a CD4 count of 324 at that time but haven't done any viral load testing.  My Doctor immediately started my ART. It's been almost a year since then and I have undergone 2 complicated  surgical operation this year, I had appendectomy last Feb 2017 and a right hemicolectomy last August 2017. The later procedure was due to the infection that occurs at the site where my appendix was removed.

I need to stop my ART for about 2 weeks for both procedures that I mentioned, 1 week before and another 1 week after the operation since that was the instruction of my surgeon.

My CD4 went down from 324 to 104 in just about 1 year and I was very worried if I'm getting drug resistance to Atripla. My Doctor ordered a viral load test and she's waiting for the result. What should I do now? I'm really depressed with my situation.. I haven't had any opportunistic infection since I was diagnosed. Please help me.

Thanks for your time
Andy

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: How long will I live?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 05:57:55 am »
Hi

So sorry to hear about the appendix issues. I had mine out in 2011.

If I understand correctly you stopped your meds for 2 weeks, you are back on treatment but you have never had a VL test done and you are concerned if the treatment is still working.

The thing is if you never had a VL done before than you have no way of knowing if the medication was working for you and if you had no resistance testing done than you have no way of knowing if your hiv was resistant to begin with.

Look best thing is to get the VL test done as that is one of the most important things to know and ask your doctor about resistance if your VL is not undetectable.

If and that is a big if, your hiv is resistant to the treatment you are on its not the end of the world, but it does mean you will need a different medication for treatment.

I wish I could write more but I'm on my way into the office, I will check back with you later.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline harleymc

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 05:43:25 pm »
Surgeons don't have any expertise in medications, they are cutters not medicators.  My Infectious disease doctor has never recommended going off medications for surgery.

Have a talk to your doctor about whether there is any issue with continuing on medications before and after surgery.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 06:56:54 pm »
My Infectious disease doctor has never recommended going off medications for surgery.
my surgeons have never, in 26 yrs of meds and through nearly a dozen surgeries, suggested I stop antiretrovirals for any reason. I can't imagine that any surgery would require such a change. However, I would point out that there are some anesthesias that should not be used with certain antiretrovirals. In these cases, the solution is to change the anesthesia.

Stopping antiretrovirals for 2 weeks is asking for the trouble of resistance....although that happening would not be a certainty. You would definitely need viral load testing (and perhaps a resistance/genotype test) done to determine that

I'm really depressed with my situation
don't get too down ;)  the solution is easy - get on another regimen of medications. There are other options available (and often, depending on your location, Atripla isn't even the preferred regimen anymore).
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 02:35:29 pm »

ojo        Hello Andy...I'm sorry for the low cd4, let's see what the viral load says...Can we know where  you are from, i
this depends if you will be able to get a resistance test )I know some countries just give you the meds and wait and see if they work)...do not be depress, if you were to be resistance to atripla, I'm sure you will get a differen treatment, so, hang in there and keep us posted...hugs                                                                                ojo

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.