Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:14:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773224
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 616
Total: 619

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Flu Shot Time !  (Read 35203 times)

Offline tednlou2

Re: Flu Shot Time !
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2015, 04:21:36 pm »
Ted ... why even post something like this unless you have links to credible sites. The two working links you provided are not credible sources and one link I could not get to work at all.

If you find a story saying John Hopkins or the Mayo Clinic said something there should be a link in the story ( or your post ) that will take you there, if not its probably not true. Getting a flu shot is important so its probably not the best idea to post junk like in this in a thread unless you do your homework first. 

Other than that love you madly  ;) .

Was the Forbes and Snopes not credible sites.  They both debunked what this guy was saying, going point by point.  The links work for me.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2015, 04:46:56 pm »
The forbes site is now working and it links to john Hopkins but not to a page that has anything to do with a flu shot . The first link is a a anti vaccine website site . I didn’t have the time to go hunting for stuff  shady sites say exist on credible ones … Im just pointing out that bringing up this could mislead people … you pretty much posted articles saying that anti flu shot advocates are spouting BS and nothing to  that you link to suggest shot is not beneficial  . I was mostly commenting because I was confused as to why you would bother to post this especially since one site links to a known HIV denialists. I was wondering if you even read it … that could explain why you would post it … lots of people repost stuff from FB and share it without knowing or vetting if its credible or even worth reading.

From your link …
First, as has already pointed out, Doshi is not a virologist or an epidemiologist, but rather an anthropologist who studies comparative effectiveness research. He never conducted influenza research at Hopkins. (He’s now an Assistant Professor at the University of Maryland’s School of Pharmacy.) Second, Doshi’s 2013 article was an opinion piece (a “feature”), not an original research article, and it did not report any new findings. Third, it is highly misleading to suggest (as the anti-vax article’s title does) that Doshi somehow represents Johns Hopkins University. At Johns Hopkins Hospital, the flu vaccine is required of all personnel who have contact with patients, as a good-practices effort to minimize the risk that a patient will catch the flu from a caregiver.

And …
Doshi uses this sleight-of-hand to suggest that the vaccine may not be beneficial at all. He never says this outright—instead, he just questions, again and again, whether the precise percentages reported in published studies are accurate. For example, he makes a big deal of a CDC announcement in 2013 that the vaccine’s effectiveness was only 62%. He casts doubt with phrases like

“the 62% reduction statistic almost certainly does not hold true for all subpopulations”
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:07:26 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2015, 05:25:54 pm »
Maybe it is because I'm currently sick myself, but I'm just not following ya, Jeff.  I've seen 4 friends and family post the junk about the flu vaccine not being effective and actually causing health problems.  We have anti-flu vaccine members here.  I posted rebuttals to this guys claims, which go point by point.  They debunk his claims and give evidence why the flu vaccine is effective and good health policy. 

I didn't understand this thing you said, "you pretty much posted articles saying that anti flu shot advocates are spouting BS and nothing to  that you link to suggest shot is not beneficial."  Did you mean to say I didn't post anything saying the flu vaccine IS beneficial?  If that's the case, the articles do say the flu vaccine is very much beneficial.

Again, maybe I'm just not following you well, because I'm currently sick.  I will say I will not be timing the flu shot from now on.  I got it early November last year and felt I would just get it again on the year anniversary.  I've thought I have had a cold, since I didn't have fever.  This began Saturday with sniffles and not feeling great, but no fever.  Today fever hit at 100.4.  I always thought flu didn't ramp up but just hit, bam, all at once.  I'm hoping this isn't the flu, 5 days after starting to get symptoms.  Anyway, I will get the flu shot as soon as it become available next time.  There are already confirmed cases here in Louisville. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2015, 05:28:54 pm »
I hope you feel better Ted … sorry you are sick. We can discuss thief if you want when you are better .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WowThatWasLifeChanging

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2015, 11:53:04 pm »
I got my flu shot! I also asked about a pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine which my ID doc thought was a good idea since random outbreaks in the states...
It was painful but glad I got them both!

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2015, 10:59:27 am »
Got my shot on the 29th last month, since then been getting night sweats but not as drastic as I've had in the past.. Feel okay in the morning following, might be something else, no idea.

Offline efox020

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2015, 11:17:12 am »
I got mine a week and a half ago I felt a bit sick for about a day or so but been ok since then.

Question, because I got my VL and CD4 count exactly one week later could the flu shot affect the numbers?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2015, 11:33:02 am »
I got mine a week and a half ago I felt a bit sick for about a day or so but been ok since then.

Question, because I got my VL and CD4 count exactly one week later could the flu shot affect the numbers?

Its doubtful it would effect your numbers in any statistically significant way ... and if it did slightly alter anything it would be short lived. 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2015, 11:34:59 am »
It's sad that we're experiencing a high rate of influenza in our area.  4 people at work are out sick and 1 is hospitalized with pneumonia. 

Fortunately, I rec'd my shot a few weeks ago.  Some were commenting that they need to go get the shot since they've been around so many people already infected.  UMM, sorry but it takes a couple of weeks for complete immunity.

I'm tired of arguing with people about the flu shot whom insist that it actually causes the flu.  But then again, they probably also believe everything Jenny McCarthy spews.

edited: what happened to my profile pic?  Does it go away if you don't log in for a certain period of time?
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2015, 01:57:40 pm »
I'm not getting the flu vaccine this year because I don't want to end up pregant:   ::)

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/texas-14-year-old-virgin-falls-pregnant-after-flu-shot/

Seriously, I am getting my flu shot this week.  While it is not guaranteed to be 100% effective, if I don't have the vaccine it is guaranteed to be 0% effective.

Cheers,

Henry

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2015, 04:15:44 pm »
I know someone who says she has the flu (not confirmed), and always says she can't get the flu vaccination, due to allergy to eggs. 

However, I don't understand who she can eat eggs and things made with eggs, but be allergic to the vaccine.  Can anyone shed light on this?  I've seen her eat potato salad with eggs and of course products made with eggs.  Maybe the cooking renders the allergy proteins unable to cause a reaction?  I have no clue.  I thought there was a vaccine, for those allergic to eggs.  Guess I could do some googling.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2015, 06:39:55 pm »
I know someone who says she has the flu (not confirmed), and always says she can't get the flu vaccination, due to allergy to eggs. 

However, I don't understand who she can eat eggs and things made with eggs, but be allergic to the vaccine.  Can anyone shed light on this?  I've seen her eat potato salad with eggs and of course products made with eggs.  Maybe the cooking renders the allergy proteins unable to cause a reaction?  I have no clue.  I thought there was a vaccine, for those allergic to eggs.  Guess I could do some googling.

All you need to know about eggs … right here in one spot .
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A0LEVzNnNhxWb1EAZStXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0OWVhazM4BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjA4MTNfMQRzZWMDcGl2cw--?p=eddie+the+egg+lady&fr=sfp&fr2=piv-web#id=1&vid=e634b21a70afa075497309a23c653874&action=view
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2015, 07:31:46 pm »
I think Edie the egg lady knows all.....
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2015, 07:22:10 pm »
Tried to get the flu shot at CVS today.  I have an Anthem Bronze plan.  The pharmacist said my plan does not cover the only brand they are authorized to stock (fluarix). 

Looks like the insurance companies are now putting up blockades to preventative procedures required by Obamacare.  I didn't have any problems getting it last year at CVS. 

I'll inflict the cost of a customer support inquiry on Anthem to determine what brands are covered. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2015, 08:22:38 pm »
Tried to get the flu shot at CVS today.  I have an Anthem Bronze plan.  The pharmacist said my plan does not cover the only brand they are authorized to stock (fluarix). 

Looks like the insurance companies are now putting up blockades to preventative procedures required by Obamacare.  I didn't have any problems getting it last year at CVS. 

I'll inflict the cost of a customer support inquiry on Anthem to determine what brands are covered. 

I got my shot at rite aide … they are owned by CVS so I don’t know whats up with that .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2015, 08:28:53 pm »
CVS does not own Rite Aid.  In fact today it was reported Walgreens will buy Rite Aid.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2015/10/27/walgreens-boots-to-buy-rite-aid-in-172-billion-deal/

Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc. agreed to buy Rite Aid Corp. for about $9.4 billion, in a move that would create a drugstore giant at a time when companies in nearly every corner of the health-care industry are seeking to gain advantage from bulking up.

Walgreens agreed to pay $9 a share in cash for Rite Aid, offering a 48% premium to Rite Aid's closing price Monday. Rite Aid's stock rose 43% to $8.67 Tuesday after The Wall Street Journal reported on the deal talks.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2015, 08:57:20 pm »
CVS does not own Rite Aid.  In fact today it was reported Walgreens will buy Rite Aid.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2015/10/27/walgreens-boots-to-buy-rite-aid-in-172-billion-deal/

Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc. agreed to buy Rite Aid Corp. for about $9.4 billion, in a move that would create a drugstore giant at a time when companies in nearly every corner of the health-care industry are seeking to gain advantage from bulking up.

Walgreens agreed to pay $9 a share in cash for Rite Aid, offering a 48% premium to Rite Aid's closing price Monday. Rite Aid's stock rose 43% to $8.67 Tuesday after The Wall Street Journal reported on the deal talks.

Right you are . I don’t why I was so sure but so wrong LOL …. I looked it up expecting to find out I was right, I wasn’t.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2015, 10:39:40 pm »
I got my Flu Shot a while back at CVS though my insurance with no problem.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2015, 11:26:05 pm »
Hi Guys,
I'm back in this thread because of a talk i had with my ID Dr. yesterday. I went in for her to look over my latest results - as i mentioned in an earlier post, my numbers came back very good and I'm UD with a CD4 over 1000 - hurray!
 I then proceeded to go over my list of questions, coming armed with the knowledge i gain on this site!
First topic on the agenda was vaccines - when where etc.
She said that since my CD4 is so high, i can, but it must be a "non-active" vaccines, and (and this is where she surprised me) she cannot guarantee the same efficacy as HIV- people, and that it may only be "50%-60% effective  - no one really knows" and so i should be aware, and also, 1 in 1 million people who get the shot get paralysis bla bla bla.
I laughed at the paralysis stat - driving a car in BKK has way worse odds than that, and i do it every day. When i asked what to do, she said i must decide...
I was pretty decided going in - you all did a great job of that here. I am pretty sure i will go ahead anyway. However, before i do, i would like to hear any comments you have, reactions etc. A bit about the doc - she is older (in her 60's), she is Thai (with all the nuances and cultural aspects), she DID study and work in the USA in the 80's, she seems very conservative (recommends to avoid sexual contact even with condoms if possible just to be safe etc - HAHAH RIGHT!), she is very nice, but sometimes i find that her polite and sweet demeanor prevent her from giving straight practical advice.
I have more to write/ask about the checkup but i will do that in a separate thread.
Sage advice will be much appreciated!

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2015, 01:00:16 am »

She said that since my CD4 is so high, i can, but it must be a "non-active" vaccines, and (and this is where she surprised me) she cannot guarantee the same efficacy as HIV- people, and that it may only be "50%-60% effective  - no one really knows" and so i should be aware,

As I understand this applies to people with severely compromised immune system; their bodies might fail to produce the desired immune response to the vaccine.....hence the less/not effective

CD4's above 1000 is not a compromised immune system; go ahead and get the vaccine  ;)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2015, 07:58:03 am »
Thanks for the quick replies gents! Ok, between you and my doc's recomendation i'm convinced! - i will see what is available here. BTW, does it matter if i am UD or not to get the vaccine? I mean, should i first wait until i am UD? Also, would it be a good idea to wait if i am soon switching meds?

So, back on Sept 23rd, you said your doc reccommended it, now you are saying your doc is non-committal (it's up to you - which, I guess, is always true).  What changed?  or are these different doctors?

At any rate - my advice -- find another doctor!!  If she is advising HIV+ people to live a sex-free life (I paraphrased there, but it's pretty much what she said), then you need a different doctor.

Onto the flu shot.  I believe that all SHOTS are inactive virus vaccines and only the FluMist is an active one - though I'm no vaccine expert.  On to efficacy - even if she were right (and I don't think she is) 50-60% efficacy is still better than no protection.  Though my sense, from reading your posts and your never-ending delays for "more information" and "more advice" tells me that you don't want and probably won't get this flu shot.

You SHOULD get it -- but your inaction speaks loudly.

Mike

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2015, 01:03:57 pm »
Grasshopper - my feeling exactly! I thought CD4 so high meant nothing to worry about (until i meet her!... :-[)
Mike - i admire and salute the attention to detail! Yes you are correct - she pulled a U-ee on me and it really surprised me. I think she just wants to make sure i know all the cons, but yes, she is suddenly non-commital.
Changing doc - it is something i consider and it has come up with my wife. There are reasons i don't yet, but i will be meeting a second doc soon (he is from France) next month to get a different view of my situation.
And regarding inaction - you are wrong about that one. I was simply awaiting this checkup - something she asked me to do - before taking the shot. In fact i was expecting the shot at the checkup - this is what she told me last time we met. She told me to go home and talk with my wife and decide - which is why i wrote here. However, the decision has been made - I will definitely get it in the coming days. And i truly regret that my "digging" for more info and advice is perceived as a reason to delay and has become a nuisance. The truth is i live in a country where there are not such great resources nor people to talk with. This forum has been invaluable for me and i thought it would be ok. My apologies.

Offline metekrop

• Is time running fast for you.
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2015, 02:18:53 pm »
I got my shot yesterday … please get your flu shots people. This years shot is supposed to be more effective than last years.

I don't beleive my firend.  I took flu shot for the first time in my life this year because I know I will be having a flu once during the year.  But your know what, it gave me a very nasty early flu disease.  I normally is having a flue between the month of December and February.  Now this year I had flu in the month of October which is unusual  and this is definitely because of the flu shot I took.  So, if if is not a very serious issue, please avoid this shot as much as possible.  This is my advise for anyone from this time on wards.
Diag.on 12/8, 2000, CD 440 VL 44K, No Meds
12/08 - 2/09 CD< 50 & VL >500k hosp'z.
St. Atripla - 7/09 CD 179, VL 197k
10/09 CD 300 VL U
3/10 468 U
8/10 460 U
12/10 492 U
3/11 636 U
8/11 530 U
1/12  616 U
7/12 640 U
12/12 669 U
5/13 711 U
11/13 663 U
4/14  797 U
10/14 810 U
4/15 671 U
10/15 694 U
3/16 768 U
8/16 459 U
2/22 780 U
8/31 940 U
2/26 809 U
8/18 882 U
3/28 718 U
8/15 778 U
2/25 920 70
8/11 793 U
2/22 690 U
6/8 834 U

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2015, 02:21:03 pm »
I don't beleive my firend.  I took flu shot for the first time in my life this year because I know I will be having a flu once during the year.  But your know what, it gave me a very nasty early flu disease.  I normally is having a flue between the month of December and February.  Now this year I had flu in the month of October which is unusual  and this is definitely because of the flu shot I took.  So, if if is not a very serious issue, please avoid this shot as much as possible.  This is my advise for anyone from this time on wards.

No You didn’t . You may have had an immune response to the flu shot or got the flu before you got the shot but you cant get the flu from a flu shot .

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 02:28:17 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2015, 05:07:46 pm »
Jeff is correct, The seasonal flu vaccine cannot give you the flu.

From the CDC:
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/misconceptions.htm
(Page updated last September 2015)

Can a flu shot give you the flu?

No, a flu shot cannot cause flu illness. Flu vaccines that are administered with a needle are currently made in two ways: the vaccine is made either with a) flu vaccine viruses that have been 'inactivated' and are therefore not infectious, or b) with no flu vaccine viruses at all (which is the case for recombinant influenza vaccine). The most common side effects from the influenza shot are soreness, redness, tenderness or swelling where the shot was given. Low-grade fever, headache and muscle aches also may occur.

In randomized, blinded studies, where some people get inactivated flu shots and others get salt-water shots, the only differences in symptoms was increased soreness in the arm and redness at the injection site among people who got the flu shot. There were no differences in terms of body aches, fever, cough, runny nose or sore throat.

Also below the links for the HSE 2015/16 Flu campaign & information for anyone based in Ireland:

(ROI - Patient & Healthcare worker FAQ's handout)

http://hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/fluvaccine/PubFluEng.pdf
http://hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/fluvaccine/FAQ.pdf
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2015, 05:19:48 pm »
I find flu shot vaccine nay sayers almost as tedious as climate change denialists.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2015, 05:27:14 pm »
I find flu shot vaccine nay sayers almost as tedious as climate change denialists.

Every year be it in the office / schools or online I hear people tell such "old wives' tales" when it comes down to the flu vaccine. I would laugh if it was not so dangerous.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2015, 05:28:12 pm »
Got mine! And by a hot male nurse no less  ;)  That was hot.

I've gotten mine faithfully each year since 2008, when I came down with a strain of the flu. NOT fun. Have made myself get vaccinated every year since!

Usually find that the higher up in the arm they give it, the less sore afterwards. Once a nurse gave it a bit too low down and that hurt! But it's so worth it compared to catching the flu!  :D
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline bocker3

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2015, 10:30:56 pm »
Grasshopper - my feeling exactly! I thought CD4 so high meant nothing to worry about (until i meet her!... :-[)
Mike - i admire and salute the attention to detail! Yes you are correct - she pulled a U-ee on me and it really surprised me. I think she just wants to make sure i know all the cons, but yes, she is suddenly non-commital.
Changing doc - it is something i consider and it has come up with my wife. There are reasons i don't yet, but i will be meeting a second doc soon (he is from France) next month to get a different view of my situation.
And regarding inaction - you are wrong about that one. I was simply awaiting this checkup - something she asked me to do - before taking the shot. In fact i was expecting the shot at the checkup - this is what she told me last time we met. She told me to go home and talk with my wife and decide - which is why i wrote here. However, the decision has been made - I will definitely get it in the coming days. And i truly regret that my "digging" for more info and advice is perceived as a reason to delay and has become a nuisance. The truth is i live in a country where there are not such great resources nor people to talk with. This forum has been invaluable for me and i thought it would be ok. My apologies.

I am very happy to hear this -- no need to apologize for asking questions here.  I was just a little frustrated because it sounded like you were ready to get one and I thought you sounded a bit unsure after your doctor visit.
My apologies if I came off a little bit harsh -- it's just that a flu shot is such an easy way to protect yourself from what can be quite debilitating and, for thousands around the world each year - a death sentence.

Looking forward to hearing you got your shot!!

Mike

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2015, 11:44:37 pm »
I posted this in Research, and then remembered we have a flu thread going.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/cold-flu/could-cholesterol-lowering-statin-drugs-hurt-flu-shots-effect-n453631

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2015, 07:28:23 am »
I got flu vaccine in one arm, and pneumonia vaccine in the other.  That evening and the next day, I could barely move either arm. Ouch!

I asked for the zona-shingles vaccine. My ID said wait 2 years because the next one is brilliant and protects for a long time.  He said this one isn't paid by insurance. 

How much?

About 250 usd equivalent. 

I said, gee, thats not much considering how awful shingles is.  He still told me to wait.

Then he said I should get the genetic test for Tivicay. He said that Tivicay is even more powerful than Isentress.  I love Isentress/Truvada - have no issues whatsoever. Neither in the way I feel nor in any of my labs.

He said there is no evidence intensification of treatment has any impact on CD4 cells.

Lastly, I asked about drug stocks. Is there any reason for me to stock drugs? I said as an American it was my instinct to feel insecure. But I stopped keeping a stock 2 years ago.  He said no, never more than a week or 2, in this country. He said supply would NEVER be an issue in Switzerland.  Hmmm.  Isn't that odd.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline bocker3

« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2015, 07:58:05 am »
I posted this in Research, and then remembered we have a flu thread going.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/cold-flu/could-cholesterol-lowering-statin-drugs-hurt-flu-shots-effect-n453631

Ugh, I knew someone would post something about this in this thread. 

To be clear - even if (and it is still an IF) this is true - being "less effective" is still better than the non-existant protection of NOT GETTING a flu shot.

As usual -- the article's headline is more about getting people to click and read the ads within it than science, as embedded in the article is this little quote:

"The researchers stress that it's far too soon to assume that the statins are directly to blame. There may be something else different about people who take statin drugs, which prevent heart attacks and stroke."

So, get your flu shot -- even if you take statins too.

Mike

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2015, 11:06:48 am »
I think the evidence is undeniable that getting your vaccines is VERY beneficial to yourself and those around you! I never had a problem with flu vaccines occasionally if they put it a certain way in it's sore but only lasts a day or so small price to pay for not getting the flu! Flu shots are easy breezy. I get mine every single fall. I've had the flu before and trust me I don't want that again! Get those shots!  :-*
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2015, 04:30:43 pm »
Ugh, I knew someone would post something about this in this thread. 

To be clear - even if (and it is still an IF) this is true - being "less effective" is still better than the non-existant protection of NOT GETTING a flu shot.

As usual -- the article's headline is more about getting people to click and read the ads within it than science, as embedded in the article is this little quote:

"The researchers stress that it's far too soon to assume that the statins are directly to blame. There may be something else different about people who take statin drugs, which prevent heart attacks and stroke."

So, get your flu shot -- even if you take statins too.

Mike

Do you think people are going to say screw it?  It isn't a story about the two being dangerous together, so it won't scare anyone off.  It is a story that made big news yesterday.  I always thought older people don't create the best response, for the same reason HIV positive people often do not.  It is likely it is still that reason, but so many older people happen to be on statins. 

In the Research post, I made it clear that much, much more research needed done.  What I left out is that many on statins should discuss the quad flu vaccine with their doc, to give them the most dose available-- just in case there is something to this.  That was the purpose of me posting it.  I get the quad vaccine.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2015, 11:42:29 pm »
Do you think people are going to say screw it?  It isn't a story about the two being dangerous together, so it won't scare anyone off.  It is a story that made big news yesterday.  I always thought older people don't create the best response, for the same reason HIV positive people often do not.  It is likely it is still that reason, but so many older people happen to be on statins. 

In the Research post, I made it clear that much, much more research needed done.  What I left out is that many on statins should discuss the quad flu vaccine with their doc, to give them the most dose available-- just in case there is something to this.  That was the purpose of me posting it.  I get the quad vaccine.

Yes, I do think some people will say "screw it" over this.  Year after year we see people post all sorts of rationalizations over why they will not or should not get the flu shot.  The media LOVE TO HYPE UP NON-STORIES if the headlines will sell whatever (papers, magazines, advert space, etc).  They want people to link to their stories so that their "click count" goes up and they can charge more for ads.
IMO - this was not a news story -- it was more akin to hypothesis creation than it was about any true causal research results.  However, the average joe isn't going to make the distinction, because they won't read any in depth information. 
The Quad vaccine is already recommended for older folks -- on statins or not. 
This thread is about reminding people to get their shots, I simply don't think it is the place to put anything that might stop someone -- which, I know was NOT your intent at all.

Mike

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2015, 01:10:34 am »
Ok guys - a quick update.
I finally got the shot yesterday. It's been 24hours, i feel fine, all is good. Im looking forward to Judo class tomorrow!
Have a nice day and stay healthy!

Offline TheNormalLife

• Rules have changed; giving up is never an option
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2015, 12:14:21 am »
On the vaccination guidelines for us with HIV the shot with live attenuated viruses is not recommended, the like of those that are nasally aspirated; others (injected) are just fine. The info is here:

https://aidsinfo.nih.gov/contentfiles/recommended_immunizations_fs_en.pdf

Will get mine tomorrow because despite my "good" numbers I'm always getting sick of the respiratory system.

Ray.
09/14 Conversion
12/14 Diagnosed
12/14 CD4-6; VL-4245 (wrong CD4 test)
01/15 CD4-530 (pheeew)
01/15 CD4-755
03/15 CD4-545; VL-14401
04/15 CD4-623; VL-4531
04/15 Truvada/Efavirenz
07/15 CD4-595; VL-UD
08/15 CD4-763; VL-UD
11/15 CD4-581; VL-UD
03/16 CD4-523; VL-UD
07/16 CD4-655; VL-UD
09/16 CD4-820; VL-UD
03/17 CD4-544; VL-UD
03/17 CD4-669; VL-UD

Offline chwhyoche

« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2015, 02:03:13 pm »
I do not get the flu shot or pneumonia shots.   The HIV meds are enough and do just fine.   I rarely get colds and I got a 3 day flu about 6 years ago.   

Vaccines have too many additives and toxic ingredients.  I already have enough pharmaceuticals running through my body.

I add more cayenne pepper in my food.  Tumeric is good too.   ;)   Rich bone broth.  Use a pressure cooker to get the most out of it.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2015, 02:31:41 pm »
I do not get the flu shot or pneumonia shots.   The HIV meds are enough and do just fine.   I rarely get colds and I got a 3 day flu about 6 years ago.   

Vaccines have too many additives and toxic ingredients.  I already have enough pharmaceuticals running through my body.

I add more cayenne pepper in my food.  Tumeric is good too.   ;)   Rich bone broth.  Use a pressure cooker to get the most out of it.

While you are welcome to your opinions, you need to be careful about making claims that are simply untrue.  HIV medication provides no protection at all, against the flu and there have been many reputable studies that have concluded that vaccines do not contain toxic ingredients.  Also, the use of Cayenne pepper, Turmeric or bone broth has not been shown to be an effective preventative against the flu.

If you wish to make such claims, we must insist on links that prove your assertions.

Joe

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2015, 03:25:08 pm »

I hope you will reconsider this.  The flu vaccine is safe.  You may still get the flu, but it is likely to not be as severe.  The pneumonia vaccine is important, because we are at much greater risk of getting it-- especially if you get the flu, but even if not.  I got a bad bacterial pneumonia and was told I would have died, if I hadn't gotten to the hospital when I did.  Flu and pneumonia are serious and I just can't understand not getting these simple and safe vaccines. 

I didn't even feel the needle going in and had no side effects.  Please reconsider getting these.  These are simple things we can do for our health and to also protect others. 

Offline chwhyoche

« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2015, 05:57:51 pm »
There's enough evidence that says they are not safe.  Like I said, if it makes any difference, I have not gotten the flu but once in years.   My t cells are high and my viral load undetectable.   I am not at risk for pneumonia.   If I get it, I will take the antibiotics.  Even my doctor says that one of the recent flu shots this past season was ineffective, though she still recommended it.  Makes no sense.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2015, 06:35:31 pm »
There's enough evidence that says they are not safe.  Like I said, if it makes any difference, I have not gotten the flu but once in years.   My t cells are high and my viral load undetectable.   I am not at risk for pneumonia.   If I get it, I will take the antibiotics.  Even my doctor says that one of the recent flu shots this past season was ineffective, though she still recommended it.  Makes no sense.

You are wrong. The flu shot is effective even though some years less so than others. Getting a flu shot is not just about you, its also to protect the community . Google herd immunity sometime.

The evidence is convincing and conclusive that the flu shot saves lives.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline chwhyoche

« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2015, 11:28:23 pm »
I know all about the idea of herd immunity.   
I will take care of my body.  But I will not take one for the team, if I feel that it is not needed or the risks outweigh the benefits. 

But I don't mind if you get the vaccine.   I totally support you.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2015, 07:56:44 am »
I know all about the idea of herd immunity.   
I will take care of my body.  But I will not take one for the team, if I feel that it is not needed or the risks outweigh the benefits. 

But I don't mind if you get the vaccine.   I totally support you.

If it were as simple as you not wanting to take the vaccine, that would be one thing.  However, you come on here and spread falsehoods about toxicity and your HIV meds protecting you from the flu. 

So -- you have a right to choose what you do -- you don't have a right to spread lies, however.

Additionally -- if you think a high T-cell count will protect you from pneumonia -- just remember that most people who get (and die from) the flu and pneumonia are HIV NEGATIVE.  So, good luck with your high t-cells keeping you safe.

Mike

Offline chwhyoche

« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2015, 12:29:01 pm »
Its not a falsehood.  A lot of the drugs have black box warnings. http://www.rightinginjustice.com/news/2015/10/11/new-black-box-warnings-added-to-hiv-drugs/

Though I will still take the drug I need, because AIDS is far deadlier.

Also, you do not know what the t-cell range is for HIV negative people.   You are assuming they are high, but HIV negative people are not normally tested for t-cells.  For all we know they could be very low. 

Funny, how there's always something more.   A person takes the HIV meds, and then they are pressured to take the vaccines, because the HIV meds aren't enough.   Hmmmm

I have only had the flu once in the last maybe 10 years.   But you know what, murphys law will have it, that since I am saying this, I will get it this year.  haha
Also, prior to the meds, I DID USED TO get mean chest colds, especially in the winter, even as a kid.  But now, prior to meds, I hardly get a cough.   

Trust the meds are working.   Have you no faith?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2015, 12:42:36 pm »
Its not a falsehood.  A lot of the drugs have black box warnings. http://www.rightinginjustice.com/news/2015/10/11/new-black-box-warnings-added-to-hiv-drugs/

Though I will still take the drug I need, because AIDS is far deadlier.

Also, you do not know what the t-cell range is for HIV negative people.   You are assuming they are high, but HIV negative people are not normally tested for t-cells.  For all we know they could be very low. 

Funny, how there's always something more.   A person takes the HIV meds, and then they are pressured to take the vaccines, because the HIV meds aren't enough.   Hmmmm

I have only had the flu once in the last maybe 10 years.   But you know what, murphys law will have it, that since I am saying this, I will get it this year.  haha
Also, prior to the meds, I DID USED TO get mean chest colds, especially in the winter, even as a kid.  But now, prior to meds, I hardly get a cough.   

No one is pressuring you to take a vaccine. We deal in peer reviewed science so when you come in and misrepresent the facts we have no choice other than point out that no matter how well intentioned you are you obviously do not understand what you are talking about.
Other people read this and can easily be mislead by your distrust of accepted science.

Im not agrguing with you or trying to convince you otherwise, my rebuttals are intended to warn people that you are only offering weak uninformed opinions based on personal bias and fear. There is absolutely no doubt that people who are living with HIV need to get the vaccinations that are recommend . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2015, 05:00:46 pm »
A person takes the HIV meds, and then they are pressured to take the vaccines, because the HIV meds aren't enough.   Hmmmm
"hmmmmm", what? you seem to be extrapolating the wrong conclusion there

Just like you are "pressured" to take HIV meds to keep the HIV in check
(although it shouldn't take too much pressure to get someone to decide on the meds, and whatever side effects if any, rather than death by AIDS)
you are "pressured" to take other meds and vaccines to either avoid other illnesses or to treat other illnesses.

one would think that the same logic for deciding to take HIV meds would be the same logic for taking other meds for other reasons. ;)

However, just like Tylenol won't cure cancer, HIV meds don't have any effect on curing pneumonia. while HIV meds may be wonder drugs for keeping us alive by fighting HIV, HIV meds are certainly no good against pneumonia, measles, or rubella because that's not what they were designed to treat.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline bocker3

« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2015, 05:45:11 pm »

Actually we DO know what the t-cell range is for HIV negative people.  It is these people on whom the reference range is based.  Reference ranges should be based on the range that ~95% of "healthy" individuals fall into.   These folks may not have been tested by their doctors, but they are the basis for every reference range.  How do I know this??  I studied laboratory medicine and worked in clinical labs for many years.

I have perfect faith that the HIV meds will help me live a full life by keeping the HIV in check.  It does not, however, make me immune to influenza or pneumonia.  No way -- no how.  A healthy immune system might help fend it off -- but not always.  That is why, in the US, more people die each year from the flu or pneumonia than die from HIV.

You are living like an ostrich, with your head stuck in the sand.  That is fine for you - but I won't let falsehoods go unchallenged.  Other people's lives may depend on knowing the truth.

Mike

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2015, 10:46:00 pm »
I read this today and thought it had some points to ponder.

A doctor’s explanation of why so many patients say no to flu shots,
http://theweek.com/articles/594217/doctors-explanation-why-many-patients-say-no-flu-shots?ref=yfp
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline NY2011

« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2015, 01:10:21 am »
Wondering if anyone had an adverse reaction to this year's flu shot. 
10/26/2011 - SEROCONVERSION (fever+rash, 104 degrees F)
10/31/2011 - CD4= 154  VL>500,000 
10/31/2011 - started on Truvada+Prezista+Norvir
12/14/2011 - CD4= 750 VL=6412 (45%)
01/27/2012 - switched to Atripla
04/23/2012 - CD4=1,221 VL= 140  (47%)
06/22/2012 - CD4=1,224 VL= ud    (49%)
12/18/2012 - CD4=1,031 VL= ud    (51%)
09/16/2013 - CD4=1,151 VL= ud   (49%)
03/26/2014 - CD4=1,050 VL= ud
11/25/2014 - CD4=1,335 VL= ud
12/01/2015 - CD4=1,115 VL= ud (55%)
11/22/2016 - CD4=1,071 VL= ud (52%)
06/01/2017 - CD4=1,014 VL= ud (53%)
switched to Biktarvy in 2018
04/23/2019 - CD4=1,072 VL= ud (52%)
01/15/2020 - CD4=  925  VL= ud (50%)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.