Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:08:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 460
Total: 461

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Started Complera and Given 30 days of valtrex  (Read 4793 times)

Offline Chitown_poz

Started Complera and Given 30 days of valtrex
« on: January 07, 2013, 12:06:57 am »
Hi and Happy 2013!!!

Took my first complera today with lunch. My doctor also gave me Valtrex to start for 30 days to prevent shingles.

Shingles scares me but so does taking another pill on top of Complera. Has anyone taken Valtrex when initiating therapy?

Also is it ok to have wine in moderation with meds? I really wanted a glass of wine today at lunch with my friends  ;)

Thanks for any advice!

Offline Newguy

Re: Started Complera and Given 30 days of valtrex
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:44:59 pm »
Also is it ok to have wine in moderation with meds? I really wanted a glass of wine today at lunch with my friends  ;)

Thanks for any advice!
[/quote]

Sometimes I take my meds with alcohol. All is working will according to my lab results. This article from poz.com might help. http://www.poz.com/articles/Skipping_Meds_401_23220.shtml

Best of 2013

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 05:23:20 pm »
So the wine won't stop the meds working...

The Valtrex, doc must have a reason, but is non-standard.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 07:11:48 am »

The Valtrex, doc must have a reason, but is non-standard.

I was thinking the same thing. If your CD4s are very low (under 200), it's standard practice to be given an antibiotic like Bactrim, but not acyclovir.

Valtrex is a "pro-drug" of acyclovir - it's formulated a little differently so a lower dose stays in the body for longer. Valtrex is a brand name - you can get acyclovir as a generic at a fraction of the cost of the name brand.

Acyclovir also works for herpes - shingles (herpes zoster) and herpes (herpes simplex) are in the same viral family. If you have herpes and have been having a lot of outbreaks, your doctor may have prescribed Valtrex for that rather than shingles.

I'd recommend you read the Lessons on both herpes and shingles.

Acyclovir is relatively side effect free (I've not heard of anyone having a problem with it) and having a few glasses of wine or any other alcohol won't be a problem. Alcohol with hiv meds isn't a problem for most either (for some it causes stomach upset) unless you regularly get drunk and miss taking your meds. The odd missed dose isn't a problem, provided you're taking them when you should at least 95% of the time.

And by the way, welcome to the forums.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 07:40:30 pm »
This reminded me of when I had shingles, it wasn't fun! Two years ago, I had what I thought was bad swimmer's ear, and went to two different doctors and one even flushed out my ear with water (ouch) and gave me ear drops. Nothing helped, it turned into the WORST ear ache I ever had! A few days later, I suddenly got VERY ill, feverish, shakes, sweats, nausea, pain on my skin, and I noticed I had a couple of blisters on my right cheek. I thought they were just fever blisters but my fever was so bad I went to the ER. The ER doc took one look at me and in my ear and said "you have shingles"! I was shocked! Never had heard of anyone having shingles in the ear canal before, but it can happen! Luckily I only had some blisters in my ear, one or two on my face, and a few on my right upper scalp (the doctor told me a hallmark of shingles is that you only get blisters on ONE side of the body).

I was sent home with Acyclovir, and this stuff was amazing! After feeling totally crappy for two weeks this stuff cleared me right up and I was well in no time! The doc explained to me that since I had a mild case of chicken pox as a child the risk of getting shingles as an adult increases. Not sure if I can get shingles again, but let me tell you, I hope to get a vaccine if they offer them. It was worse than the worst flu! But Acyclovir is amazing stuff!
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline gadawg1979

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 09:47:37 pm »
I found the first 60 days on Compera to be a roller coaster.  After that life has been great....
Diagnosed March 2012
Initial CD4- 156 VL 200K (started Complera) Genotype test no resistance
First labs on meds CD4- 246 VL 2K Taken after 30 days on Complera
90 Day labs VL 306 No CD4 Drawn
8/21/2012 CD4 474 VL Undetectable (40) %20.6
11/27/2012 CD 4 522 VL Undetectable (40)
2/14/2013 CD 4 464 VL Undetecable (30) 19.6%
6/8/3013 CD 4 528 VL Undetectable (30)
9/24/2013 CD 4 546 VL Undetectable (40)
1/30/2014 CD4 560 VL Undetectable (40) 22 %
6/19/2014 CD4 584 Vl Undetecable (30)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 08:26:03 am »

Not sure if I can get shingles again

Yes, you can.

At least now you know what it feels like and you can get treatment earlier. I'm glad you only got it on your scalp, face and ear canal - herpes can also affect the eye and it can lead to on-going, painful sight/eye problems. A mate of mine had shingles about ten years ago that went into her eye and to this day she has a lot of problems with that eye. :-\
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline folkyboy

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 05:36:17 am »
I found the first 60 days on Compera to be a roller coaster.  After that life has been great....

Hello, I am new here! I just started Complera 2 days ago & so far my only side effect (I've noticed) is diarrhea. [TMI?] I'm not a drinker nor do I have herpes [*knock on wood*] but am a little curious about this medication.

I understand it works differently for everyone, but what exactly do you mean by "roller-coaster"?

My viral load was 50k & my CD4 was 268. I tested POZ in Sept 2011. I'm grateful for meds (and yes, this is my first medication), but I'm so anal retentive I can't stop reading about it. Heh
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 05:38:53 am by folkyboy »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.