Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2017, 05:02:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 716350
  • Total Topics: 57774
  • Online Today: 280
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 AM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ pages, including our "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Interesting situation  (Read 918 times)

Offline lavarche

• Standard
Interesting situation
« on: April 07, 2017, 03:02:01 PM »
Hello everyone,
I would like to ask about my situation. I had a risky situation 3 months ago(anal sex with a guy). I was tested in a laboratory in my country. They said that HIV DUO test and plus a PCR test together can be conclusive on the 14th day and I was tested. But it sounded so early to me.I searched a lot and there are lots of different informations about that. Then I took home the test kit Autotest Sante in the 91st day.It works with blood sample. And I also saw that this test is proposed by the German Aids-Hilfe. My question is, can I say the results are conclusive or should I do other tests in the future? By the way, I did not endanger myself in 3 months after this action.
Best Regards

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: Interesting situation
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 03:26:30 PM »
The general guidelines for testing for HIV antibodies is six weeks after potential exposure then at 13 weeks past potential exposure for confirmation of the six week results.  Your Autotest Sante was taken 91 days past your potential exposure, so, presuming that test is a viable "home test kit" and that you tested according to the instructions, your could consider that test "conclusive."

If you need further guidance, consult with your healthcare provider.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline lavarche

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 08:29:40 PM »
Sorry for my bad english and thank you so much for help and the quick answer.
:)

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 10:30:29 PM »
You're welcome.

Going forward, access this link to learn more about safer-sex precautions:

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline lavarche

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 05:19:09 AM »
Hello,
I would like to ask a question about hiv tests. It sounds like a weird or nonsense question but i am asking for peace of my mind. Today I used a home hiv test.It works with blood sample.  I applied it 90th day and the result was negative. This test includes a buffer cap and a pipe that takes blood sample.I took blood sample from my hand via pipe and stuck it to buffer cap. My test run successfully.In some articles i read that the hiv rapid or homw tests includes hiv antigens inside and the buffer take my blood to this antigens.If there are antibodies in my blood they stick to those antigens. After I applied the test my result was negative. But then I wondered the system of the test and opened the buffer cap and the buffer liquid mixed with my blood dropped and contacted to injury over my hand. I am afraid if antigens for hiv inside the test contacted to my hand and make me infected.

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 07:04:52 AM »
 ::)

Oh man no,... No.

Even if HIV was present in the test kit it would not infect you, and its not!
This is a myth and is purely on the web because people simply misunderstand the science or twist it to feed peoples paranoia. 

If you read this myth than stop reading this stuff, if you read how the test works and came up with on you own with this irrational "concern" than stop overthinking things.

How to explain this, as we grow, we develop millions of different antibodies. This makes up our acquired immune system. Its like a huge reference cells or reserves for our system that generally is dormant until they are needed. The specific antibodies are triggered by our systems when antigens (protein) attached to the virus are detected. If you like you can pretend that every antibody fits a very specific antigen.   

How the test works:

Most HIV tests are based on the interaction between the antigen and antibody so  on the surface of HIV there are lots of proteins which act as antigens.

One of the most common in early infection is called protein 24 (p24)  As explained the antigens are parts of the virus that tell (trigger) your body that it's being attacked and activate or result in the antibodies being called in/released by your system. (That is a bit crude but to keep it short & simple)

The HIV p24 antigens are manufactured in the test you have and what happens is the test looks for HIV antibodies and the reaction between them for antigen reaction. It is not a viable copy of HIV and does not cause an infection to you. 

Now often the tests will have a stick with a control and the antigens for HIV are fixed on one particular strip along the rapid test stick. Towards the end of the testing stick are control antigens to show that the test worked.

The chemical, called a buffer, is simple to facilitate the testing process and does not contain HIV.  The chemical causes the antibodies in the blood to flow along the test stick. When they pass over the section with the antigens, if there are any antibodies for HIV present then they will stick to these antigens and cause a line or change colour depending on the test.

In short - You don't get HIV or had any risk whatsoever from the test!

Take it easy and stop overthinking this as you are not doing yourself any good and I mean you well but you need to move on with your life.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:48:53 AM by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Index & everything you need to know
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2017 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.