Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:54:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 331
Total: 331

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Vitamin B6 and Peripheral Neurophathy  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Amadeus

Vitamin B6 and Peripheral Neurophathy
« on: March 09, 2017, 03:40:31 am »
Hello, everyone.
My question is this: Does vitamin B6 help with peripheral neuropathy?

I had been taking Complera for one month with no overly negative symptoms. However, after that one month a new set of symptoms suddenly appeared, one of which being a tingling along my skin and loss of feeling along my extremities and later even more psrts. This started to get worse as the days passed, so I called my doctor.  In between the call and the appointment dates, I did not take the medication, and the numbness went away. However, my doctor thinks that by taking vitamin b6, I will still be able to take Complera with no other issues. Since your sense of touch is involved in typing, texting, driving, etc. this is very important to me.  Has this happened to anyone else? Has adding more vitamin B6 helped your tingling, numbness and/or peripheral neuropathy?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 03:52:39 am by Amadeus »
First test-   VL 91,709/CD4 150
02/20/17-  VL 3,086/CD4 216

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Vitamin B6 and Peripheral Neurophathy
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 04:14:46 am »
Hi

Ill be honest, if you believe your meds are making your peripheral neuropathy worse or aggravating it, I would be asking for a change in treatment. Taking too much B6 can cause or aggravate the condition.

peripheral neuropathy caused by HIV happens, peripheral neuropathy caused by HIV meds is far more rare and normally limited to older classes of drugs

Anyhow wishing you all the best.

Jim

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/peripheral-neuropathy
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 04:37:01 am »
peripheral neuropathy caused by HIV meds is far more rare and normally limited to older classes of drugs
I would also point out that along with almost all PN being associated with older meds, PN usually does not happen within a month of taking meds. Definitely talk to your doctor about other factors or perhaps a med change as you may be experiencing some odd side effect rather than actual PN.

What causes peripheral neuropathy?
There are several possible causes of peripheral neuropathy. Direct injury, such as a broken bone or a severe burn, can cause damage to peripheral nerves. Certain diseases, such as diabetes, arthritis, or lupus, can also result in nerve damage. A lack of essential vitamins and minerals, particular vitamins B12 and E, can contribute to nerve damage. Conversely, taking too much vitamin B6 (more than 200 mg a day) can actually cause this condition.

HIV itself has also been shown to cause nerve damage, usually in people with seriously suppressed immune systems. Though researchers aren't yet certain how HIV causes nerve or brain injury, many believe it is due to chronic immune system inflammation due to HIV replication.

In 2009, researchers from the CHARTER study reported that they were able to find symptoms of peripheral neuropathy in a significant percentage of older HIV-positive individuals—even in people without other risk factors. The degree of peripheral neuropathy was very mild in most people, and in fact most were unaware that they had sustained any nerve damage.

Moderate to severe peripheral neuropathy in people living with HIV is a usually side effect of certain medications, including those used to treat HIV and certain AIDS-related infection. These drugs can damage peripheral nerves and eventually lead to symptoms of neuropathy.

The most likely reason why certain HIV drugs cause peripheral neuropathy is that they can damage mitochondria—the genetic powerhouses inside cells that help convert nutrients into energy that our cells need. Too much mitochondrial damage, researchers believe, can lead to nerve damage and peripheral neuropathy.

Some of the HIV/AIDS drugs that can cause peripheral neuropathy include:

Hivid (zalcitabine) – no longer sold
Videx; Videx EC (didanosine) 
Zerit (stavudine)
Nydrazid (isoniazid) – for the prevention and treatment of tuberculosis (TB)
Oncovin (vincristine) or Velban (vincristine) – for the treatment of Kaposi's sarcoma (KS)
Myambutol (ethambutol) – for the treatment of MAC and other bacterial infections
Flagyl (metronidazole) – for the treatment of amoebas and parasitic infections
Zyvox (linezolid) – for the treatment of bacterial infections
dapsone – for the treatment of Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia (PCP) and other infections

While peripheral neuropathy is a common side effect of these drugs, this does not mean that all people who take them will experience nerve damage or develop symptoms of neuropathy. It's possible that people who combine these drugs—such as Zerit and Videx, two nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs) that are no longer routinely used together—are at a greater risk of experiencing neuropathy or developing more severe and painful symptoms. Similarly, people who use these HIV medications with other drugs known to cause peripheral neuropathy may also be at an increased risk of this side effect. The risk of peripheral neuropathy may be higher still if these medications are used in people with a history of neuropathy, diabetes, heavy alcohol consumption, poor nutrition, and/or older age.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Amadeus

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 04:49:22 am »
Thank you for the quick replies.

After reading the serious side effects list for Complera, it does say that numbness is a sign of lactic acidosis. I'm going to talk once more with my doctor, and if they try to keep me on the meds I'll switch doctors.
First test-   VL 91,709/CD4 150
02/20/17-  VL 3,086/CD4 216

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 12:11:30 pm »
Thank you for the quick replies.

After reading the serious side effects list for Complera, it does say that numbness is a sign of lactic acidosis. I'm going to talk once more with my doctor, and if they try to keep me on the meds I'll switch doctors.

For a start, don't get hung up on the side effects list of HIV drugs. One glance at a similar list of fairly mundane drugs will also contain many of the same things.

Secondly, I highly doubt that your meds are causing PN. It's just too soon for stuff like that. There may be side effects from your meds that can cause muscle pain - that is true of any med...I had horrendous problems on an common antibiotic the other year, for example. But I wouldn't just jump to the conclusion that it must be your HIV meds, and certainly if the meds are causing a side effect, it wouldn't be PN this quickly.

Thirdly, as mentioned by others PN is an incredibly common condition that can be caused by a variety of medical and physical issues. If you DO have PN, then you need to get that evaluated in case there is something else going on.

Given the timeline, my money would be on some transient side effects, but certainly discuss with your doctor.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 12:27:55 pm »
Hi,

My doctor prescribed B12 , not B6..., and that solved the issue

I still swallow one vial a month, just in case

NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.