Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:59:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773210
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 457
Total: 461

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: never felt more alone hiv+ 2 kids and husband please help  (Read 7391 times)

Offline lowgiemama

never felt more alone hiv+ 2 kids and husband please help
« on: April 16, 2013, 05:17:30 pm »
I am in seek of much needed advice and guidance and hope!.. I had strange feeling recently to get HIV tested. I was unfaithful end of last summer with a random man. Obviously the biggest mistake of my life. Anyway I went last week to get tested and got phone call from quest lab (which by the way I didn't think results could be given over the phone especially by a lab) that I tested positive for HIV and to come in for a redraw as conformation.  After oking the woman I hung up and nearly passed out. I am going to tell my husband after I get conformation even though its obvious the damage is done. I hope he comes out negative.  But my #1 fear isn't about dying from this because as I've been reading there are many meds to help one live a long life expectancy.  I am scared I will give it to my kids by them touching something of mine or using my nail clipper...can I never kiss their booboos again?? Will the state take them from me. This will kill me long before any disease does.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: never felt more alone hiv+ 2 kids and husband please help
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 05:39:08 pm »
Hi Lowgiemama and welcome to the forums . I know this may be a frightening time for you and we can only hope that your conformation test come back negative .

I want you to know that regardless of how your test turns out you do not have to worry about your children being around or attended too be HIV positive people . HIV is not spread from nail clippers or in any casual way . If you are HIV positive you can still kiss booboos too !

HIV is acquired by engaging in unprotected intercourse , sharing IV drug equipment and from mother to child during child birth or less frequently from breast milk .   

Please gives an update when you get your results .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline phillypinko

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 11:28:44 pm »
I get in trouble for being completely honest at times. There is always the possibility that your husband was unfaithful and gave it to you. The odds of you catching HIV from one encounter is pretty slim.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 12:04:37 am »
I get in trouble for being completely honest at times. There is always the possibility that your husband was unfaithful and gave it to you. The odds of you catching HIV from one encounter is pretty slim.

Many kids have been conceived from that thinking.   ???

Offline phillypinko

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 12:56:03 am »
Its probably easier to get pregnant from a one night stand then to contract HIV  ;D

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 06:19:28 am »
Its probably easier to get pregnant from a one night stand then to contract HIV  ;D

Not necessarily. I know of a few women who ended up poz from only one incident of unprotected intercourse with a poz man. It happens.

Lowgiemama, hopefully this hasn't happened to you. You need to be aware that false positive results can and do happen. Pregnancy can cause them, as can underlying autoimmune disease. Sometimes they just happen.

Please update us as soon as your confirmatory results come through. Good luck!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline pozapril2013

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 12:37:34 pm »
Lowgimama,
Hello..I am new here but was wondering what were the results?
4/13 CD4 54 -VL 500,000

Offline RiderMan

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 04:29:36 pm »
Yes it is very possible to get infected after 1 encounter, I am living proof of that...they say the odds are like winning the jackpot but there is always a winner somewhere.  Let us know what the results were.  Did you end up telling your husband and kids or refrain
08-27-2012: contracted
10-17-2012: Positive
10-17-2012: CD4 - 555  VL 7700
11-06-2012: CD4 - 595  VL 20000

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.