Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:50:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 580
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 495
Total: 495

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A-TRIP-to-LA-la Land  (Read 6788 times)

Offline lovedays08

A-TRIP-to-LA-la Land
« on: February 08, 2009, 03:16:13 pm »
Wow. Well, I managed to get my first script of Atripla. I was fortunate that I could upgrade my health insurance to include a script benefit. Having jumped that hurdle (and meeting the $1000 deductible and then some in one shot! ouch), the next one was actually starting the treatment.

I did it. It's now been a week and 2 days. The first 3 or 4 were "uncomfortable." The dreams started right away. I have no problem with them. Kinda fun. In fact, they've already gotten kind of boring. LOL. Nauseous a little. Mornings brought the equivalent of mediocre hang over. I've had worse! Other than that, it hasn't been too bad. I partied a lot "back in the day" so the sensation is not foreign to me. Not that I enjoy it at this point, but it does help to be in familiar if very different territory.

Yesterday I felt great. And the same today, EXCEPT that, like clockwork, the rash popped out. It's not severe. I'm hoping it won't be. I have to work tomorrow! I immediately scurried down to my friendly neighborhood Walgreen's and bought some Benadryl.

Anyway, my point is, I'm grateful for all the questions and answers available here. It has been a great comfort and a tremendous resource while being true to the range of experiences, good and bad. Today the reality became tactile and I knew what to do.

Offline webontheweb

Re: A-TRIP-to-LA-la Land
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 09:35:34 am »
Congrats on sticking with it.  we all go through some period of adjustment with meds, it is mellows out and now I have no reaction whatsoever to the meds,  with me, I always felt like I was pitching over to the left all day for about two weeks. 

Keep with the regimen and you will be fine!

Offline lovedays08

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:47:21 pm »
Thanks WOTW

Turns out the rash got MUCH worse. Ugh. But, that's ok. Not sure how long it will be around. I had to kind of hide for a few days, which really bothered me.

Thanks for sharing. I'm hoping a week or two and all will be well. And I go for labs in March. Fingers crossed!

LD

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 03:31:37 pm »
First Atripla pill last nite for me!!!   Thought I was all psychologically ready for HIV meds,  and with all the aches, and rashes and fatigue right now,  anything should help.   ANYWAY,  alas,  didn't have the cool dreams,  really didn't sleep that well,   only side effect so far today is just being dizzy and spaced out.  
It was hard to start last nite, but glad I did.  Time will tell about any other side effects, but no major complaints so far.  Trying to keep as busy as I can, being dizzy, but at least not nauseated.

Hugs,  Bruce
"To all within the sound of my voice, I appeal: Learn with me the lessons of history and of grace, so my children will not be afraid to say the word “AIDS” when I am gone. Then, their children and yours may not need to whisper it at all."  Mary Fisher

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 09:50:51 am »
Sounds like a good start, Bruce.  Give us another update soon.

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 11:45:01 am »
Day two:
I feel like a new person already,  go figure.   second night,  alas, STILL no fun dreams.   Woke up this morning basically feeling the best I have for months,  no aches,  no pains,  hungry.   
Is this for real,  ya alittle spacy, and still know that side effects could kick in.   

Atripla seems to be kicking butt with my little virus friend already!!  Is that possible.

Hugs, Bruce

edited to say  "Should get out and shovel the fresh snow on the driveway!!! and get some fresh air..
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:50:00 am by lonewolf »
"To all within the sound of my voice, I appeal: Learn with me the lessons of history and of grace, so my children will not be afraid to say the word “AIDS” when I am gone. Then, their children and yours may not need to whisper it at all."  Mary Fisher

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 11:42:22 pm »
Dear Lonewolf and Lovedays.
I'm glad to hear that its been cool.

Lonewolf - I shared the same amazing feeling as yours, right from starting treatment. So I hope it last for a good long time. As we know, HAART is crushing the virus and your body is thankful.  The morning after I started, I felt like I had had a fabulous massage.

Lovedays, hope the rash isnt too bad for too long.

Well, enjoy the benefits the two of you and best wishes for treatment success.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 07:19:27 pm »
Hey thanks for the encouragement.

Well today changed,  been really dizzy most of the day,  my ears are hurting, so might have them checked to see if there is an infection there. 

Other than that,  still feel better with Atripla than I did 3 days ago without it.

As far as "I am going to Disney Land",  guess not now... Will just stay home and clean the oven.
(really wasn't going to Disney Land, just kidding,)

Dizzy hugs,  Bruce

Offline lovedays08

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 08:40:46 pm »
Well, thanks for the thoughts. Good luck in the coming days Lonewolf!

Despite feeling a boost in energy and a clearing head after a few days, the rash came, as I said. Then it got REALLY bad. I saw the doc, he was somewhat alarmed but there's nothing he could do. It didn't itch or anything so I didn't need the Kenalog lotion he prescribed. Fortunately it didn't come up onto my face or too high on my neck, so I could work. My buttocks were horrible. One, or should I say two, big red whelps. It was rather frightening to see.

Then the I got the foamy urine and two evenings in a row, my urine was brown. Eek. It was only a small amount, and I drank more water and it wasn't as bad. Went in for urinalysis and the doc called with concern regarding the results. Back in for blood draw to test organ function. My reaction could have, but hopefully didn't, do any permanent damage to my organs. Kidneys in particular. No more really dark urine thus far. I do have slight hematuria on a normal day, so fingers crossed it's just exacerbated.

The rash is clearing nicely. It itched a little on the way out, but not bad. But, I'm feeling a little less energetic the last few days. Recovering I guess from the response and also I haven't slept so well due to concerns. But I remain hopeful it'll be ok. I get the blood test results on Monday.

I can say that the tiny little lymph node behind my ear that was rather "inflated" is almost flat. That I know is a good sign!

Two weeks on now. The first went well enough. The second seemed like an eternity. Such is the road of treatment!

Started meds at CD4 300, VL 40,000 (up form 4,000), CD4% 32%

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 11:33:04 am »
Thanks so much for keeping us updated with your Atripla!.   I really appreciate reading about your days.
Yes it can be different with every one.   Sounds like, tho it is affecting you and I about the same.

Day 5 here,  and  feeling pretty good,  Dr gave me a perscription of ibpropine 800 mg  3 times a day, so that has really helped with aches.

Still no exciting dreams,  they are more detailed,  hard to get to sleep, but will deal.
Still dizzy off and on during the day,   went grocery shopping, and almost laughed ,my comprehension skills are all screwed up, too forever to decide what to buy,  which ones, etc.

AND waiting for the rash.  Quite sure that will happen,  get alot of them anyway.   Gulp.

Lets keep each other updated.  Hey Love, hope your Atripla day is going well, and hope everyone else is having a good one too.

(My T4 was 368 and VL 395,000 in Dec,  dont have my latest results from Feb 9 yet, that was the day I went on meds). 
Hugs, Bruce

Offline sxybrownnicca

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 03:15:20 pm »
I just started Atripla and this medicine is driving me CRAZY!!! I  take it right before i go to bed at 9:30 and i have to be up at like 5:30am so thats usually 8 hours of sleep and when i wake up i be so DIZZY. Its almost a drunk like feeling and i can't concentrate at work because i am like that for about 3 hours. What can i do to prevent the dizziness? Any tricks? lol

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 03:51:12 pm »
Hey Sky,  Sorry,  I hear ya.
Day 6 here,  and things are changing daily with me and Atripla.  Surprising, not as bad as I thought, yet.

Dizzy, let me tell you,  usually wake up dizzy (or more hangover feeling) for an hour or so,  then do pretty good, actually feel VERY HIPER.   Then like clockwork, usually around 2-3 in the afternoon I get another very dizzy session for a couple hours.

I have no suggestions, but hopefully things will continue to  get better,  it is a great feeling that Atripla is kicking ass with this HIV tho.

Feel so sorry for you that you have to work, that sucks.   Fortunately, I am off for quite awhile.

Keep in touch,  this place is wonderful for support, even tho no one has all the answers sometimes.
Hugs,  Bruce

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 06:27:24 pm »
I just wanted to add my two cents on Atripla as I take it myself. It was not fun for the first few days but I have been able to get rid of the drunk feeling for the most part. My doctor told me to take it about 2 hours before I actually go to sleep. I also try not to eat anything fatty around pill time. These things have helped me sleep a little better and not feel so dizzy the next day. The first week though, I did feel dizzy for a couple of hours when I woke up. Give it time.

By the way, that rash and the dark urine does not sound good at all. I hope your doctor knows what he is doing by keeping you on it. Good luck and take care everyone.
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 06:59:08 pm »
Got a question,   know we shouldn't eat anything for a couple hours before we take Atripla,  (and havent been),  but wondering when it is safe to eat something AFTER taking the big ole pill.
Guess late at night sometimes, get hungry, havent tried to eat again tho till morning.

Any suggestions,  can you snack, eat, etc soon after the pill, or when is  the best??

Hugs,  Dizzy Bruce

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 08:42:03 pm »
I have gotten past most of the side-effects of the meds and have gotten more comfortable eating around pill time. If I do eat, I try to make it a low-fat snack like yogurt or juice or whatever else. It's hard for me to not eat for 4-5 hours, and I haven't had a problem with low-fat foods. High-fat foods have made the dizziness come on in the morning for me. But everyone is different.
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.