Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:32:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 650
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 595
Total: 595

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: So what benefits/good things has HIV brought into your life?  (Read 9092 times)

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
I guess this is a question for anyone and everyone who has had HIV or just got it, but I do feel the people who have had it longer may have more insight.  Let er rip. 

edit: For me, in the last 8 weeks, I feel myself grieving and wanting to forgive myself.  I know these things take time.  I've disclosed my status to everyone I know and to even multiple guys I may have infected.  I feel like I've done the right thing.  I quit smoking a pack a day. I changed my diet.  I sought out therapy and doctors immediately.  I have to remind myself of these things I've gained as the dark HIV cloud still pours rain over me...

(off topic:  Sometimes I just want to cry! Like in that movie "The Holiday" with Cameron Diaz. I laugh when I think of that scene where she is trying to induce crying by fake crying.  I can't cry. Even at funerals.  Yet there are those few people in my life that can look at me concerned and I'll just start balling. Like my parents or ex.)
Anyway you guys rock with all the good advice. I'll try to not be so needy. I start CBT tomorrow at my university by a very young and very sexy dyklicious asian female with a soothing voice. I'm amped. And good riddens throat infection...thanks to azithromycin for killing it....but no thanks as well for making me so goddamned fatigued!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 04:53:53 am by shadowfluid »
Jan 08       321/23%  VL 92,000 (very mild shingles)
Feb 1 08    Start Truvada+Viramune
March 08    470/33%  VL 320
mid-May     Start Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada
June 08      571/ 40%     VL   80
August 08   585/ 33%     VL >50
Nov  Lab error!!!!!!!!wah.
Jan 09        535      Undetectable
March 11     756

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: So what benefits/good things has HIV brought into your life?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 04:33:47 am »
I laugh when I think of that scene where she is trying to induce crying by fake crying.  I can't cry. Even at funerals.

Whack your cock with a hammer. Hard. That should do the trick.

Regards,

MtD ;)

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 04:35:33 am »
Thanks for taking my post seriously! I'll let it go cuz you seem like the class clown.:)
March 11     756

Offline indyguy

• Hoosier Boy Single Again.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 04:58:58 am »
The Atripla makes me tired sometimes but I force myself to stay awake. The dreams can be really wild if I eat fatty food before bedtime. Other then that no major problems
Meds doing well so far.

Offline indyguy

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 05:05:41 am »
Crazy as it sounds I have made allot of new friends both here and in the backwards state of Indiana. Coming out at work has given me allot of support by some and dirty looks by others. O well they never invited me to dinner before so I know they wont know. LOL
Meds doing well so far.

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 05:06:42 am »
Well that's good....maybe I should have been more specific....what have you gained mentally? What about your lifestyle?  Did you change your eating habits? Made any dramatic changes to your life?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 05:10:00 am by shadowfluid »
March 11     756

Offline indyguy

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 05:17:34 am »
Eatting habits yes. I started eatting less fat because of the side effects. I still smoke even though the doctor wants me to stop. That will be harder then eatting less fat for me though since i have smoked for over 15 years. I do party less but when I do go out I let the good times roll LOL. I end up paying for it the next day though. Sometimes I feel completely alone and have to remind myself that I need to be thankful for every healthy day.
Meds doing well so far.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 06:35:36 am »
Hello again Shadow,

I hope you'll find the CBT therapy helpful. I know I do, and others I know have.

Your question is interesting. Although living with HIV hasn't been a joy ride, there have been some beneficial developments in my life after diagnosis, and in me. Number one would be that I stopped taking things for granted. Things like good health and good friendships. Disclosing is the fastest way to weed out those who are your real friends from those who are not so much.

Also the value of time, and what I do with mine – what is important to spend time on and what isn’t. I could say the same of people – who is worth spending my time and energy on and who is not. And this is directly linked to reaching a level of honesty in me too. No more do I say yes when I really mean no, or the other way around. I don’t tolerate that which is not genuine any longer, including people.

So in many ways being HIV positive has helped me discover who I truly am. And in that sense it has brought me deeper and more meaningful experiences, and more appreciation for life than I had pre diagnosis. I cry at the silliest things now – usually in private – and I laugh at lots of life too.

Sensitivity to and compassion for the hardships others face is another benefit. I can more readily empathise with the problems of other people, and in some cases I’ll offer what I can (if anything) to help them find their way instead of brushing them off or fearing their pain. After all, kindness costs nothing.

Thank you for helping me remember these things this morning, Shadow. I was feeling a bit down coming to these forums this morning until I happened upon your post.

Daniel
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 06:37:15 am by DanielMark »
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 07:03:51 am »
it helped me have better relationships all around with old and new people in my life. also to find the best romantic relationship ever - luck and desperation combined to push me into doing things i normally wouldn't do like ask a guy out and be more open about my needs.

outwardly, initially i looked great, better than usual, because i was working out a lot and minding my food. these days, i don't look my best and have gained quite a bit of weight, but still ok, however that's good enough for me. oh who am i kidding. ok i am immensly grateful but i would like my figure back.

i am also more greedy and hungry for things that i want to do with my life and in the future so a lot of times i feel restless. i have no sense of security but not enough adventure either, but at the same time...
generally it helped me priorotize and find more satisfaction and beauty in everyday living.

i am not a better person but i have on one hand more empathy than before and understanding of other people and on the other, far less patience for BS

i know these things are somewhat contradictory but that's how it has been.

CBT is great. i wish i had some therapy. it will be good for you, it's quite handy and practical and works pretty much right away. but you have to maintain it which i don't do. if anyone has a good CBT link, please post....
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline newbernswiss

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 08:52:58 am »
I live life for today, the fullest. I don't worry about the small stuff. When you face death and survive not to much can bother you anymore. I'm thankful for each day.  I don't let the negative vibes get to me and try my best to avoid those people and situations. I keep fulfilling my goals and dreams.....

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 09:03:55 am »
I have to concur with newbernswiss.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 09:50:20 am »
Good things that HIV has brought into my life...

Um....

Greater appreciation for life?... nope, already had that...

Live in the now?... knew that already...

Take care of my health more?... but I was already a gymrat...

Let's see... HIV gave me lipoatrophy, which made me miserable, which made me go to Rio de Janeiro to get plastic injected into my face and ass. Rio was really fantastic. So I guess HIV gave me a terrific trip to Rio.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 09:52:41 am »
I laugh when I think of that scene where she is trying to induce crying by fake crying.  I can't cry. Even at funerals.

Whack your cock with a hammer. Hard. That should do the trick.

Regards,

MtD ;)

CBT= cock and ball torture  :D

Offline Sky

• Myspace
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 10:16:37 am »
My health staying ok without meds for as long as it has
Nursing school
New outlook on life
Life
Poz since 2003.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 11:22:34 am »
I can't say that it's given me much of anything positive.  I did go to Montreal last summer and met a great bunch of people.  We're going to SF  this Sept.. to do the same.  It's made me more aware of how much my family and close friends care about me and how accepting they all are.  I realize how good my insurance is.  Oh, I don't have to worry about becoming HIV+ now.  Other than those things, I don't think there are many more positive aspects from it.  I never had depression or anxiety before.  I never had fatigue - I could do 'most anything and not get tired or need much sleep.  I was just as nice and understanding a person.  I didn't feel like a shit for bringing this stress and anxiety to my family like I do now.  I'd definitely say that the few good things could have easily happened on their own without this damned virus.

David (who needs to try and be a bit more positive today)
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 12:17:27 pm »
Good things that HIV has brought into my life...

Um....

Greater appreciation for life?... nope, already had that...

Live in the now?... knew that already...

Take care of my health more?... but I was already a gymrat...

Let's see... HIV gave me lipoatrophy, which made me miserable, which made me go to Rio de Janeiro to get plastic injected into my face and ass. Rio was really fantastic. So I guess HIV gave me a terrific trip to Rio.

CBT= cock and ball torture  :D

Damn it, Ford...you already got to my best material  ;D :-*

Lemme see...

My friends started dropping like flies by 1983, so I was compelled to make new ones. This went lather, rinse, repeat for the next fifteen years, so I guess HIV got me out of the house a lot.

In 1990 I fell in love on a beach in Spain and moved to Paris to live with him. When he died two years later I came home, so HIV kept me from wasting my future in France.

Three years later I was trying to wind down a six-month fuckbud relationship with someone I knew wasn't good for me, but then a condom broke, we both tested poz and I hung on for a total of nine years out of guilt and remorse. HIV taught me how much I can punish myself over an accident.

Six months of diarrhea due to what was an "acceptable side effect" (from my doctor at the time) of a certain med regime made me lose weight. Four years of a special diet to control my lipids due to Kaletra kept up the weight loss and made me give up all the foods I loved that had any fat or cholesterol. HIV returned my body to that of my young 20s. Who needs an ass when you can sport size 28 jeans again?

Living within the income restrictions imposed by ADAP/Ryan White criteria following the cancellation of my health insurance in 2003 has left me permanently bankrupt. Who needs credit cards? My car was too expensive to maintain anyways, and taking the bus is better for the environment.

Gawd knows that if I were still active in my career that I'd never have the time to write, and writing gives me pleasure and allows me to share my experiences with thousands of people from around the world every month.

Without HIV my life would have been completely different.

Brent
(Whose arm still tingles from the shingle attack three weeks ago)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Iggy

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 01:22:11 pm »
 I guess my experiences in life and with the HIV in the past are pretty much the fodder of psychology case examples...or at least a nifty pamphlet.

I never really had that great appreciation of life.  That's not to say that I didn't enjoy life, but I doubt that in my 20's and early 30's I could be so certain to really know two fucks about healthy lifestyle and all that it takes it appreciate life - I guess I was too busy living it and being like every other idiot my age in disregarding my own mortality for the moment.

Now I won't say that HIV cause me a 180 in outlook because that ain't true - in fact there is a more realistic argument to say that it just speeded me up on the path I was already heading downwards on.  I also won't claim that my crash was a good thing either though there is always something to be said about losing everything in order to build something new (and hopefully better.)

I face fears about my job and health insurance and dealing with I already see as physical complications of just having a lowered immune system.  I gripe not for those who do fear the small stuff -because that IS the Eden of ife as we know it - no matter how Deepak Chopra  one would like to pretend they are - In other words - I love the days when I can sweat the small stuff because that means the big stuff doesn't yet have a hold on me. 

In truth "HIV" hasn't brought me diddly squat as far as good...but then again rare are the things that have a direct result as far as good and bad.

To answer your question further (and in a more "positive" way (drumroll please) via indirect results of HIV -  it is that it has brought me (after a the crash and burn period) an impetus to get my shit in order and to appreciate each day more (not "fully" - As I haven't reached a sense of Buddhist nirvana yet). 

It has also allowed me to have a greater understanding of those who are not doing well (regardless of HIV) and to be able to not assume that life needs be one way - that understanding allows me a greater appreciation of life itself as we do continue to exist even when things are bad or appear dark - and that is not an easy lesson to learn -  Sometimes we speak disparagingly of others who are not in the same enlightened place that we see ourselves in  (either directly or via observations of self on a pedestal) as it affords us a sense of distance from the truth we fear exists within ourselves - a truth that is obviously reflected in the experiences of those who are not doing well.

HIV has also (indirectly) put some perspective in my life - my looks as they fade seem to matter less (as harsh as feels at times) than the ability to function.  An example I guess is that I don't care so much if I have cut arms as I do that I can still make it to the gym.  That small battle being fought (confidence in self vs.confidence in beauty) is a huge one that I think HIV plays a significant role in.

HIV has also indirectly brought certain people into my life  - some are great friends and if nothing else than that is the good to present to you for an answer to your question.

However I am truly lucky as it goes one further -

Indirectly and through sharing my experiences of life with HIV (and that included the darkest moments of my life) I have found someone who loves me and knows me in ways that someone may never have known me before - because my coming to terms with my life with HIV was in fact me at my most vulnerable and most true and without pretense and barriers - it is that person who he has seen and fallen in love with.  I too can say the same of my love for him and known him and felt for him long before we ever spoke directly. 

This is something new for me, something amazing and dare I say for those who remember the genesis of my old screen name ...something Disney related (Insert mass moans and groans here) but damn it if I don't thank God, nature or just non-spiritual entity blind luck for me contracting HIV and being in a certain place at a certain time and meeting him.

I guess in summation - HIV hasn't really brought me dack shit - but LIFE itself which HIV has helped shaped - well - it's looking pretty damn good.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 01:23:44 pm by Iggy »

Offline allanq

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 02:53:15 pm »
I used to hear people say that becoming HIV-positive was a "blessing," because it helped turn their lives around. Over all, that has not been the case for me.

I was diagnosed in 1988. I continued working until 1995, when medical stuff started to make it very difficult for me to cope with a full-time job. At that point, i went on disability, with encouragement from my doctor.

HIV has not brought a lot of good things into my life. I hate having my life depend on a healthcare system that is geared toward profits, not the welfare of patients. I've spent untold stressful hours on the phone with my health insurer, with my doctor's office, and with my medical group trying to clear up problems. Fatigue, peripheral neuropathy and lipoatrophy are problems that I live with each day. Over the years I've had a lot of problems with side effects from the drugs. I put up with painful Fuzeon injections for 3½ years. Fortunately, my current regimen is not causing me any major problems.

One good thing that came out of HIV is that it allowed me to leave a job and career that were very unsatisfying.

Being out of work was at first very uncomfortable. I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself. Over the years, I've learned how to occupy my time, to grow more appreciative of the world around me, and to become more comfortable with myself.

For most people, going on disability means loss of income and great financial hardship. I was extremely lucky that my last employer had good benefits and that I had a long-term disability policy with them to supplement my social security benefits.

Allan

Offline mjmel

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 03:17:43 pm »
In short, my partner.  Potential new friends (September/AMG), but that's about it. Have executed a bunch of changes--decisions that lead to strenghtening my body defenses like quit smoking and staying as active as I can but I would have done those things anyway without the HIV status.
xxx,
Mike
(who really wants to simply write "Not jack shit!")

Dan J.

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 03:18:47 pm »
The best thing that HIV brought into my life is Herman, & I met him right here in this forum!

Dan J.  ;D

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 03:33:21 pm »
Hmmm, what good things has hiv brought me? It has made me more understanding towards people and things. I do appreciate life more. It has made me not tolerate people's bullshit before I would be more or less polite. But now I am more blunt and apt to call people on their shit. I guess you can say that is a good thing, right?
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 07:22:28 pm »

I quit smoking.
I run 4 miles/5 days a week...and enjoy it.
I cut back on drinking...no more hangovers.
I stopped hanging out with a bunch of loser self-centered musicians.
I got a job I don't mind getting up in the morning for.
I started reading comic books.
I bought a skateboard.

I miss sex.

Offline erasfred

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 08:39:57 am »

Also the value of time, and what I do with mine – what is important to spend time on and what isn’t. I could say the same of people – who is worth spending my time and energy on and who is not. And this is directly linked to reaching a level of honesty in me too. No more do I say yes when I really mean no, or the other way around. I don’t tolerate that which is not genuine any longer, including people.

You would not believe how many socalled freinds is not my freinds any more just because of that sentiment, But I have also learned to say to hell With them cause in a way they were never truly my freinds.

So in many ways being HIV positive has helped me discover who I truly am.

and how

And in that sense it has brought me deeper and more meaningful experiences, and more appreciation for life than I had pre diagnosis. I cry at the silliest things now – usually in private – and I laugh at lots of life too.

Sensitivity to and compassion for the hardships others face is another benefit. I can more readily empathise with the problems of other people, and in some cases I’ll offer what I can (if anything) to help them find their way instead of brushing them off or fearing their pain. After all, kindness costs nothing.

I also do not allow other peoples problems to become mine. I cannot afford that.

Daniel
[/qoute]

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 12:07:53 pm »
It may just be my nature of looking for the silver lining in any storm, but I think HIV has brought a few very good qualities into my life. Granted, I've only been positive for two years, so those that have had it longer might scoff at me, but oh well. :P They'll get over it. :P

I learned to appreciate the small things in life and that those are the elements that bring the most joy.

I learned to live in the here and now instead of missing out by always looking to the future.

I became a little less hard-hearted. I became more emotionally sensitive.

I have become a lot more mellow. Things that would have pissed me off before have no effect on me now.

I also had that idea of being untouchable - that seems to run rampant in youth - promptly shattered. Good riddance too.

I've always been a healthy eater, so that didn't change.

I haven't quite desired to give up smoking yet. That's my one vice that I may keep.

I hardly ever drink anymore. When you get drunk on a nightly basis from Atripla with no hangover in the morning, why drink? lol

The dating world kind of sucks because of stigma and ignorance.

All in all, HIV has had a lot of positive (no pun intended) effects in my life. I'm glad those changes came about.
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 05:07:47 pm »
HIV has only had a negative effect upon my life. I lost my health, my partner, my friends, my job, my house, and the life I thought I was going to live. For many years, I was so sick that I even lost the ability to see much of anything positive in life.

However I am still the same person I was before HIV, so I handled the hard times the only way you can - one day at a time. By perserving, thinking good thoughts, taking my meds, and struggling through the hardships life laid in my way, I have battled against the depression, grief and illness. Sometimes my day could be brightened by simply realizing I had gone the whole day without barfing from side effects. Staying alive and getting out of the hospital after PCP was indeed a wonderful day!

Now with another partner, a new home, even more friends and  better health, I have retrieved some of my life that HIV took away. But, no, I just can't say that HIV has brought about any good in my life.

However, I do enjoy hearing that others, when unfortunately faced with their own mortaility, have made positive changes in their lives. Life is just too short (as I can attest by having watched my partner die a month before he could turn 30 (7/9)) to NOT try to wringe all the enjoyment you can out of it. Some days it's awfully hard to see any silver linings, but that just means that you have to look harder!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 07:57:02 pm »
Anyway you guys rock with all the good advice. I'll try to not be so needy. I start CBT tomorrow at my university by a very young and very sexy dyklicious asian female with a soothing voice. I'm amped. And good riddens throat infection...thanks to azithromycin for killing it....but no thanks as well for making me so goddamned fatigued!

I think being needy is part of the process.  Just take care of yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2007, 09:25:51 pm »
My life changed because of HIV, not because I have it, but because of the people I've lost.

I loved Jimmie with all my heart, but I couldn't date a violent alcoholic.  I sent him back to California, where a few months after he got his positive diagnosis, he overdosed on GHB, probably deliberately.  He died alone.   I never felt like I got to say good-bye.

Thomas died kicking and screaming.  We used to lie on the bed together and play word games with languages.  We used to challenge each other by coming up with a word and seeing who knew that word in how many other languages.  Thomas played piano and composed a piece for me.   I tied him up once, and taught him how to count to ten in Russian, with a little assistance from a riding crop.  In return, he tied me up a few weeks later and made me learn to count to ten in a made up language.  When he was broke we used to go to the bar and play trivia, and win every time.  He never wanted to take meds.  To him it meant giving corporations money that they didn't deserve.  When he finally decided to take them, it was too late.   He died in mine and Donny's arms.    Most of the boots I own were his.    I learned from Thomas about what happens when someone's ethics blind them to the reality of life and death. 

I learned that people who suffer need to be understood and that each person's suffering is as intense to himself or herself as mine is to me.

I learned to appreciate my mother and father.   i learned to forgive them for being less than perfect.

I learned how to be a friend.

and I learned how to live for today. 
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline steps

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 05:55:49 pm »
What benefits? a good question I have been positive for over 17 years. There is an old saying .that goes something like this.
 "You never know what life is or how to live it until you know of your possible end."
To some that could be a depressing thought to others it is a valued lesson a gift of wisedom.
I have seen cared for and lost a lover to this. the death was a horrible disfiguring event. Was I next? Back in those days there were no real useful meds., Yet here I am. I thought at first way long ago "If this is to be my last days then those days I will spend being real to who I am and maybe help others by example?
I stopped viewing the TV news ( it is far to nagative a thing to watch).
i met new people who because I wanted nothing from them other to to just know them they responded by just getting to know me and wanting nothing else in return.
I have friends now I thought I would never find.
Over the past 14 years I have been to places I could only dream of being at .I do not have a lot of money I barely get by But though others and my own acceptance of myself Lfe has been the best it has ever been.
Will I life a long life? who knows but during that time I want to be remembered as a person of worth and that worth of myself comes from the long battle against my thinking I wasn't such a person.

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2007, 07:02:22 am »
HIV has done nothing for me.  I have done all the work myself and am eating my Karmic fruits.  Yum.

Medicated into happiness...

Drew

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2007, 01:51:23 pm »
I havent read any replies yet.  Just wanted to immediately chime in.

HIV has brought me more clarity in my life. 
It actually probably saved me in some ways. 
It has also brought me a wonderful wife whom I may never met had I not been diagnosed and reevaluated my life. 
It brought me closer to my family. 
It brought me closer to my best friend. 
It brought me HERE to this wonderful community and all my friends on here. 
It has expanded my view of the world and allowed me to be even MORE empathetic to others (except republicans who get what they deserve). 

All things considered (including the multitude of other bad diseases one can get) HIV has not been that bad on me as of yet.  I know I didnt live with it through the 80's and 90's witnessing the untold horrors it can unleash.  But as time changes so does the perspective.  Comparing having HIV now to having HIV then is apples and oranges I think.  Lots more options today.

So yeah.  Me and My cooties are pretty good buddies right now.  He just better not piss me off.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2007, 03:08:45 pm »
I guess my answer is "this n that" ... If it ever gets to the point where the good outweighs the shitty then I'll post again. Good thread tho. It's good to look for silver linings. I've got some and I think most of us do, we just have to be in the mood to reflect on them. What's dyklicious??? Oh goodness, pass the Geritol, I'm no longer fluent in "whippersnapperish"  :D

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2007, 05:02:40 pm »
I already answered this question to a degree in a thread started by Cliff last December. I looked at what I wrote then to see if what I said still stands and realised it does. So I’ve cut chunks of my post from there and pasted them here:

I'm not a great believer in the idea that everything happens for a reason but I do believe - when I'm not struggling too much depression-wise - in finding/creating reason from most things that happen, especially the hard horrible stuff. I think it’s a much healthier coping mechanism than wallowing in the sadness of a situation.

For over 4 years (following my HIV diagnosis) I struggled to find meaning in what happened to me. I finally realised there actually wasn't any. It just happened. And it was up to me to create the meaning, the sense, the positive swing on what happened. So far I've come up with the following:

1. I'm more health conscious than I have ever been my whole life; maintaining good health is more important to me than anything else in my life.

2. My entire health is now monitored frequently by top consultants.

3. At least I know what's wrong with me – I can't imagine how many thousands of folk float through life without a clue that they may be sick or even dying (until they do!)

4. I've met some amazing people and made some great new friends, who I wouldn't have met had it not been for my diagnosis; I do wish I could have met them under different circumstances, but chances are, I probably wouldn't have.

5. Having hiv is teaching me how to appreciate life more.

6. Having hiv has made me readdress my priorities in life.

7. Having hiv has forced me to take a really long hard look at myself and take steps towards getting to know myself and, more importantly, liking and accepting who and what I am – something I've never done before – I just used to change my personality like a chameleon to blend in with or hide behind others.

I know it's a cliché - and even I'm hard pushed to see and accept this when I'm really in the pits of despair - but, my situation could be a lot worse. I believe positive things can be found from most situations if we're in a position to look and if we choose to see them.

Do I wish I didn't have HIV? Of course! That goes without saying.
Would I undo all the stuff that's come from me being HIV+? Some yes, some definitely not.

Melia
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2007, 09:38:18 pm »
I enjoy life more today.  That constantly ending up in the hospital because of accidental overdoses, nervous breakdowns, etc. is done with.  I'm finishing getting my bachelor's in psychology (I have a year & 1/2 to go).  I truly love and accept my immediate family for who they are, not what they can give me.  I appreciate life more is what I should say, I guess.  I love spending time with my grandkids.  Even though my mom is dying, she constantly teaches me about life.  For all these things, I am grateful.  The down side, well, we all have our downsides.  It's nice to talk about something good.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline nunii

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2007, 11:10:25 pm »
made me get over me!  I was not a victim but a participator, made me realize that I already had everything I ever wanted, family, friends, life.

Got me closer to my mom but most importantly, I laugh more, tell the truth all the time wheather they like it or not and I especially don't apologize for being who I am.

I tell everyone who comes into my life immediately, those who stay deserve me, those who don't their lost.  I keep my friends very close and love with all that I am because when I am gone they will not remember that I was HIV positive but that I loved them...
every 60 secs of anger are 60 secs lost of happiness

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.