Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:08:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 505
Total: 506

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Problem with dating  (Read 8581 times)

Offline blackbeauty40

Problem with dating
« on: September 09, 2008, 08:12:41 am »
This is for all the women who have been out with negative men. Recently, I went out with a man who was negative. I always make it a point to let the men I date that I am poz, just as I did with this one. I let him know at the beginning of the date. We were together for almost a year and I just put up with his phobia of "catching aids". After a while he started asking personal questions about my 13 y.o. daughter, such as "was she still a virgin" and "would it be okay if he taught her about sex personally (he wanted to sleep with her). After I told him that he wasn't going to do anything with her, he started raping me. When I told him that I was going to report it, he stated that he could have me charged with attempted murder because "I didn't tell him that I was positive", which is a total lie because I told him on the first date before anything happened. Is there anything that I can do because this is really bothering me, I got the impression from him that he has done this before. I forgot to state that he works for the Chicago Police Department and he says that he knows all the loopholes so that I will definitely get convicted for this if he says so. Can someone please help me with this situation? P.S. I broke up with him in October.

Offline emeraldize

Re: Problem with dating
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:50:19 am »
If you want to pursue this, and believe me this would be a painful process for you, but if in your ethical heart you feel it important to do so, talk with a lawyer at length. You broke up last October. That's a long stretch to be thinking about such an undertaking, but I understand how it boils in your gut.

I disagree with his assertion that he would be believed and that he knows all the loopholes. There are ways to establish your credibility. And, truth still is truth and juries hear such trials. Your physician could testify about your adherence to meds, your self care, your conversations regarding disclosure and use of condoms. Do you have any former beau, lover or lovers, post-diagnosis, who would testify you told them you were positive before you began dating seriously or being sexually active? If so, that would aid in establishing your m.o. regarding disclosure. Any relationship you have with a case manager or ASO staff could help to bolster your credibility and attest to your knowledge of transmission, prevention, etc.

Is it your want to pursue a rape charge? Did you seek any counseling relative to this? How long did it persist? Did he use condoms when he raped you? Typically that does not occur in a rape setting, but it would prove he was aware he needed to protect himself. Did he do anything physical to your daughter? Is there any chance he did anything you're not aware of such as fondling that she may be uncomfortable discussing with you? That would be of greatest concern were I you, that he made it known he wanted to have sex with your daughter, virgin or not, he wanted to have sexual intercourse with a child. He is accustomed to delivering threats and would have no qualms delivering a threat to a child. Children often shield information about sexual molestation because they are threatened with further bodily harm or a threat is made to harm their parent(s).

Did he ever get tested for HIV in the time he dated you? Do you know anyone else whom he dated? Start to put together all of the information you know---and you know more than you think you know about him, about his habits, etc. I suggest this so that if you move forward, you bring as much to the lawyer as possible.

By talking to a lawyer, you would learn what her/his opinion is of the merits of your case, whether to pursue a criminal or civil suit and what would be involved. Being involved in a lawsuit is unlike any other experience and yours would easily get played out on a public stage. That is something else to discuss with your lawyer and how she/he would pursue the case and protect you and your child's names, etc.

It's complicated. But you alone must make such a big decision based on as much information as you can gather. It might be beneficial to speak to someone at your rape crisis center and get perspective from that angle.

Best of luck to you.
Em

tendai

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 04:57:15 am »
what an a**hole!  its his ass that should be arrested. locked up for life..

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 07:44:33 am »
Beauty, what a horrible situation.  I agree with everything Em said. If you were to pursue this, documentation would be key. If it were me, I think I would try to relocate if I was not going to press charges. To protect my daughter. This is about power and you might have more than you realize, especially if you can prove this.      Talk to your daughter and make sure he hasn't been at her, he sounds like a real slime. Also, do not blame yourself, just fix it, get some counseling, relocate, or file charges, just do something to take back your power.  Hope everything turns out okay. Cristy
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:56:48 am by cjc »

Offline blackbeauty40

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 06:36:36 pm »
I want to thank you all for your input. But for Em, yes he did use condoms each time he raped me. I am going to contact someone at a rape crisis center as well as a lawyer to find out what I can do. I did tell my case manager as soon as it happened and she, as well as others that know my status, know that I do disclose immediately when dating. Also, to let you guys know, he did not touch my daughter at all. I asked her repeatedly and she said that he never touched her. I really didn't give him the opportunity to be alone with her anyway, so I'm feeling better about that. Again, thank you guys for your input and support.

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 10:13:05 pm »
I want to thank you all for your input. But for Em, yes he did use condoms each time he raped me. I am going to contact someone at a rape crisis center as well as a lawyer to find out what I can do. I did tell my case manager as soon as it happened and she, as well as others that know my status, know that I do disclose immediately when dating. Also, to let you guys know, he did not touch my daughter at all. I asked her repeatedly and she said that he never touched her. I really didn't give him the opportunity to be alone with her anyway, so I'm feeling better about that. Again, thank you guys for your input and support.
                                                                                                              Beauty, so glad that he the opportunity to hurt your daughter and am so very sorry he was able to hurt you. I am like that with my son, he is never out of sight of me or my parents, well he goes to school and I worry then. Hope some healing and good things are coming your way. Cristy

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 07:41:10 pm »
                                                                                                              Beauty, so glad that he  DID NOT HAVE the opportunity to hurt your daughter and am so very sorry he was able to hurt you. I am like that with my son, he is never out of sight of me or my parents, well he goes to school and I worry then. Hope some healing and good things are coming your way. Cristy
                                     In the initial post I forgot to add those words. That will teach me to reread before I post. C
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 07:45:22 pm by cjc »

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 07:09:20 am »
Hey Black Beauty (one of my favorite books as a horse-crazy kid)

Thanks for letting us know the details and most important, if you're inclined, would you let us know how you fare? Whether or not you decide to pursue this, you will need someone with whom to share what's in your head---be that a sister, mother, best friend. And, if they don't exist, bring it here.

If you do pursue this, and I'll not mince words, it can be a mind fuck. However, it can also be mind-saving. It might also prevent this from happening to his next victim. I pursued my case (not rape, but intentional infection) legally because I could, as I rarely can on most issues, envision ten years from then thinking "I should have tried." because it was a defensible case. And, in fact, it was--I won.

Best of luck to you, no matter what you do. To fact gather is key.

Em

Offline charred

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 10:49:28 pm »
Hi. As former CPD I can assure you that what he says about "knowing loopholes" doesn't really hold up. In my opinion I think you should contact an attorney and explore your options. Him being an Officer should have no bearing. Good luck. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.