Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:15:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 238
Total: 238

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Swine Flu (Influenza A H1N1) and HIV  (Read 67333 times)

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
Re: Swine Flu (Influenza A H1N1) and HIV
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2009, 10:24:59 pm »
There are three confirmed cases of swine flu in an elementary school in my town. They have closed the school for a week. There are mucho Mexicans here. Not surprising since it is Texas. Hopefully people will smarten up and stay home when they or their children are sick.

It would suck big time if I got sick. With my immune system being so shitty I'd hate to find out how it feels to have this kind of flu.

I'd be concerned Positively_me. A doc on the news said simple breathing masks like the white or blue ones are inaffective in keeping the virus from being breathed in. Look into masks that can block viruses maybe. People will stare like you have some cooties but who cares?

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2009, 10:45:05 pm »
I'd like some opinions on something...

I'm scheduled to take flight in mid May to the Northwest.  I've take this specific flight once before and at least half of the people on it came from Cabo San Lucas in Baja California.  They're stop over is in my city and then they continue on up north. I'm a little hesitant and nervous to take this flight now...I'm worried that sitting in an aluminum tube breathing recycled flight for 2 hours and 10 minutes isn't the brightest idea.  Especially with people who have spent time in various parts of Mexico.

What are your thoughts?  Would you be concerned/worried if you were me?

I'll be heading to Bangkok from here in Tucson at the end of May. I fully intend on wearing a filter throughout the entire flight.
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline marc11864

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2009, 12:21:09 am »
A quote in sfgate from Laurie Garrett, a senior fellow in global health at the Council on Foreign Relations, notes that if it should mimic such a virus as the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic it, "hits people aged 14 to 35 hardest precisely because they have a robust immune system that overreacts to the virus. In the 1918 pandemic, people drowned in their own lung fluids. If this virus targets the young, then the elderly and others with weakened immune systems such as those with HIV or AIDS or undergoing chemotherapy would be less at risk."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/nov05election/detail?entry_id=39186

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2009, 07:22:42 am »
We now have suspected cases in both Aus and NZ and they are waiting for test results to be delivered.

Unfortunately, as we are also entering winter down here (and had aour first cold snap over the weekend) it is the beginning of flu season anyway the potential for swine flu is adding to people's anxieties.

I've been thinking about all you who live in the southern hemisphere and are going into your flu season. Keep washing your hands and buy some sanitizer! Don't want any of you getting this bug.

Hugs,
Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2009, 11:21:29 am »
I also just read this morning on AP that while deaths are still steady in Mexico, the amount of new cases is actually decreasing.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mjmel

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2009, 06:05:36 pm »
I also just read this morning on AP that while deaths are still steady in Mexico, the amount of new cases is actually decreasing.

That is such good news for the populous. Mexico has socialized health care. I heard a radio commentary (Rush L.) that the families of those that have died from this influenza have not been handed out any medications yet.  Hell, they are the ones most at risk.  Deplorable, if true.

Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2009, 06:42:14 pm »
Los Angeles Times

Reporting from Mexico City -- With the death toll climbing, Mexican authorities at the center of an international swine flu epidemic struggled Monday to piece together its lethal march, with attention focusing on a 4-year-old boy and a pig farm.

The boy, who survived the illness, has emerged as Mexico's earliest known case of the never-before-seen virus, Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova said Monday. It provides an important clue to the unique strain's path.

The boy lived near a pig farm run by a U.S.-Mexican company, Granjas Carroll, in the municipality of Perote, in Veracruz state on the Gulf of Mexico. He contracted the disease on April 2, Cordova said, one of a group of residents who came down with what was at the time labeled a particularly bad case of the flu.

Only one sample from the group, that belonging to the boy, was preserved. It was retested after other cases of the new strain were confirmed elsewhere in the country, Cordova said. The boy had the same disease. It is unknown how many more of the hundreds of people who fell sick in Perote also were infected by the strain.

In an ominous disclosure, officials said the first confirmed fatality of the disease, a 39-year-old woman from an impoverished state neighboring Veracruz, worked as a door-to-door census-taker and may have had contact with scores of people.

In Perote, residents of the hamlet known as La Gloria have complained since mid-March that contamination from the pig farm was tainting their water and causing respiratory infections. In one demonstration in early April, they carried signs with pictures of pigs crossed out with an X and the word "peligro" -- danger. Residents told reporters at the time that more than half the town's 3,000 inhabitants were sick and that three children under the age of 2 had died.

Local health officials mobilized when the outbreak was first reported, but they gave a different account: The infection may have started with a migrant farmer who returned from work in the U.S. and gave the disease to his wife, who in turn passed it on to other women in the community.

Granjas Carroll, which claims to be Mexico's leading pig farm at a million head a year, issued a statement Monday saying none of its employees had shown any signs of illness and noting that the sick are people who had no contact with its pigs. It is but one of numerous farms in the region.

The United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization announced Monday that it was sending a team of experts to inspect pig farms in Mexico. The agency's chief veterinary officer, Joseph Domenech, said the teams would attempt to determine whether the new strain was circulating among pigs and then trace linkage to human populations.

Offline fearless

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2009, 11:52:49 pm »
It has just been reported in our press that the WHO has stated that there have actually only been 7 known deaths from swine flu. http://www.smh.com.au/world/only-7-swine-flu-deaths-not-152-says-who-20090429-aml1.html

Sounds like a strom in a teacup that makes good news headlines, especially when you consider that the ordinary type A flu kills so many around the world each year (I think Tim noted 36,000 deaths from the ordinary flu in the US last year).

I guess it just makes sexier headlines when you can use terms like "Swine flu", and you can more easily beat up the story and induce anxiety, panic and fear into the populace.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2009, 12:56:20 am »
I might be willing to believe the reporting of the Sydney Morning Herald if Miss Allan's name even registered on Google-News at all, or show more than two blog hits.  Sounds like you're cherry picking your new articles to fit an omgevilnewsmedia agenda, Stevie.  The issue isn't the amount of people that die from known strains of influenza each year -- everyone knows this.  It's the fact that the current strain of swine flu represents an antigenic shift as opposed to the more normal antigenic drift.

But I would agree that thus far people outside of Mexico are over-reacting.  Just have to see how it plays out.  On the other hand an actual pandemic would hit a world in deep recession by a massive amount.

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2009, 01:23:41 am »
There are three confirmed cases of swine flu in an elementary school in my town. They have closed the school for a week. There are mucho Mexicans here. Not surprising since it is Texas. Hopefully people will smarten up and stay home when they or their children are sick.

It would suck big time if I got sick. With my immune system being so shitty I'd hate to find out how it feels to have this kind of flu.

I'd be concerned Positively_me. A doc on the news said simple breathing masks like the white or blue ones are inaffective in keeping the virus from being breathed in. Look into masks that can block viruses maybe. People will stare like you have some cooties but who cares?

Wendy,
I hadn't heard of this in the Metroplex Area yet. I was thinking that it was being over-hyped and trying to put it on ignore. Then, on Monday, I had to go pick up my Food Stamp card. I was there for an hour: my stifled paranoia reared it's ugly head and I found myself cowering in a far corner and trying to stay as far away as possible from everyone: especially their unruly children who were running rampant with runny noses:

...I am a magnet for children, for some reason, and I had to keep whispering in my most manly, authoratiative voice "go back to your mother and SIT down"  which: they did: for awhile.

I heard that not all masks are effective: you have to have the proper kind of mask for small particles/germs :-\
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline komnaes

« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2009, 07:06:35 am »
First death outside of Mexico has just been reported.. just heard it from the radio.

The patient was an infant girl in Texas. No detail yet...  :-\
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

smms

« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2009, 09:03:50 am »
Does anyone know if the antivirals used to treat Swine flu (Tamiflu and Relenza) would inter fear with the HIV medications?

I'm currently taking atripla.

Thanks 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2009, 09:27:56 am »
Does anyone know if the antivirals used to treat Swine flu (Tamiflu and Relenza) would inter fear with the HIV medications?

I'm currently taking atripla.

Thanks 

Didn't you read the thread? ???

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=26840.msg333314#msg333314

This question has already been asked and answered.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

smms

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2009, 09:58:30 am »
Didn't you read the thread? ???

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=26840.msg333314#msg333314

This question has already been asked and answered.

Ann

my apologies  :-[

Offline Netsurferdude

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2009, 10:51:21 am »

Don't know if this will bring some answers to everyone's questions but it is worth a read.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/29/Swine-Flu.aspx

Regards,

Paul.

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2009, 11:08:07 am »
Here is some information about masks from the CDC website, seeing as people keep mentioning them.

http://www.pandemicflu.gov/plan/community/maskguidancecommunity.html

What You Should Know about Using Facemasks and Respirators during a Flu Pandemic

This fact sheet provides information about the use of facemasks and respirators in public places during an influenza (flu) pandemic. It does not address the use of facemasks and respirators in the workplace or in healthcare settings.

Taking Protective Actions during a Flu Pandemic

A flu pandemic is an outbreak caused by a new flu virus that spreads around the world.  The virus will spread easily from person to person, mostly through coughing and sneezing. Because the virus is new to people, everyone will be at risk of getting it.

During a flu pandemic, you can use simple actions to help protect yourself and others from becoming sick with the flu. No single action protects completely. If used together, the steps below can help reduce the chances of becoming infected.

•Wash your hands often with soap and water. Use an alcohol-based hand cleaner if soap and water are not available.
•Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your arm when you cough and sneeze.
•Stay away from other people if you are ill.
•Avoid crowded places and large gatherings as much as possible.
There may be times during a pandemic when you must be in a crowded setting or in close contact (within 6 feet) with people who might be ill. During such times, the use of a facemask or a respirator might help prevent the spread of pandemic flu. 

Wearing a Facemask or a Respirator

Very little is known about the benefits of wearing facemasks and respirators to help control the spread of pandemic flu. In the absence of clear science, the steps below offer a “best estimate” to help guide decisions. They will be revised as new information becomes available.

Consider wearing a facemask if

•You are sick with the flu and think you might have close contact with other people.
•You live with someone who has the flu (you therefore might be in the early stages of infection) and need to be in a crowded place. Limit the amount of time you spend in these crowded places and wear a facemask while you are there.
•You are well and do not expect to be in close contact with a sick person but need to be in a crowded place.  Limit the amount of time you spend in these crowded places and wear a facemask while you are there.
Consider wearing a respirator if

•You are well and you expect to be in close contact with people who are known or thought to be sick with pandemic flu.  Limit the amount of time you are in close contact with these people and wear a respirator during this time. These recommendations apply if you must take care of a sick person at home.
What is a facemask?

Facemasks are loose-fitting, disposable masks that cover the nose and mouth. These include products labeled as surgical, dental, medical procedure, isolation, and laser masks.

Facemasks help stop droplets from being spread by the person wearing them. They also keep splashes or sprays from reaching the mouth and nose of the person wearing the facemask. They are not designed to protect you against breathing in very small particles. Facemasks should be used once and then thrown away in the trash.

What is a respirator?

A respirator (for example, an N95 or higher filtering facepiece respirator) is designed to protect you from breathing in very small particles, which might contain viruses. These types of respirators fit tightly to the face so that most air is inhaled through the filter material. To work the best way, N95 respirators must be specially fitted for each person who wears one (this is called “fit-testing” and is usually done in a workplace where respirators are used).  Most of the time, N95 respirators are used in construction and other jobs that involve dust and small particles. Some healthcare workers, such as nurses and doctors, use these types of respirators when taking care of patients with diseases that can be spread through the air.

If you have a heart or lung disease or other health condition, you may have trouble breathing through respirators and you should talk with your doctor before using a respirator.

Like surgical masks, N95 respirators should be worn only once and then thrown away in the trash.

Additional Information

Neither a facemask nor a respirator will give complete protection from the flu.  That is why it is important to wash your hands often, cover your coughs and sneezes with a handkerchief or your arm, and avoid crowds and gatherings during a pandemic. To learn more about these and other issues relating to pandemic influenza, visit www.pandemicflu.gov.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1]Unless otherwise specified, the term “facemasks” in this document refers to disposable masks cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use as medical devices. This includes facemasks labeled as surgical, dental, medical procedure, isolation, or laser masks.  Such facemasks have several designs.  One type is affixed to the head with two ties, conforms to the face with the aid of a flexible adjustment for the nose bridge, and may be flat/pleated or duck-billed in shape. Another type of facemask is pre-molded, adheres to the head with a single elastic band, and has a flexible adjustment for the nose bridge. A third type is flat/pleated and affixes to the head with ear loops. Facemasks cleared by FDA for use as medical devices have been determined to have specific levels of protection from penetration of blood and body fluids. 

[2]Unless otherwise specified, “respirator” in this document refers to an N95 or higher filtering facepiece respirator certified by the U.S. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).

[3]Three feet has often been used by infection control professionals to define close contact and is based on studies of respiratory infections; however, for practical purposes, this distance may range up to 6 feet. The World Health Organization defines close contact as “approximately 1 meter”; the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration uses “within 6 feet.”  For consistency with these estimates, this document defines close contact as a distance of up to approximately 6 feet.
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2009, 04:11:23 pm »
***BREAKING*** WHO just raised the threat level to 5 meaning "Pandemic Imminent"

Offline marc11864

« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2009, 04:17:29 pm »
First death outside of Mexico has just been reported.. just heard it from the radio.

The patient was an infant girl in Texas. No detail yet...  :-\

What we've heard was that it was a 22 month old boy from Mexico who traveled to the US location of Brownsville, TX.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:22:18 pm by marc11864 »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2009, 04:23:21 pm »
Well I posted this in the swine flu and masks thread but it makes just as much sense here.

Gist:

Beware of Swine Flu!

But beware of "Media Events" as well!

________
The media seems to be latching onto this as a "media event".  Tamiful works against this virus. Dont thousands and thousands of people die during influenza breaks around the world every year? The media was making this out to be ebola. Caution and science should clarify the issue soon, we hope.

You know, conspiracy theorists said Roche had a secret hand in Bird Flu hysteria.

Roche is ready to sell you it's product, just give Basel a call.

http://www.saigon-gpdaily.com.vn/International/2009/4/70365/

Still, if I had anything to do with working in close contact with epicenters of this virus, and couldn't thus avoid such contact, I would get me some TAMIFLU and keep it close and handy.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2009, 04:42:00 pm »
Sure, Roche does what it can to make the case for its products.  It would be odd if they did not.

And I agree that we shouldn't have hysteria over the potential for a pandemic.

But let's not lose sight of the fact that a true pandemic flu could cause 20 to 50 times the annual number of deaths that are due to seasonal flu.  It is a serious health hazard. And, like untreated HIV, pandemic flu often takes people in the prime of life, who otherwise would contribute many productive years to their families and communities.

Stopping a new pandemic flu in its tracks would be like stopping HIV before it spread. 

It's worth enduring a little media hype.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:39:20 pm by Assurbanipal »
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2009, 07:11:35 pm »
I just read the wiki article on "pandemic" flu. Very interesting.
Think I'll get that tamiflu pronto.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline fearless

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2009, 08:24:08 pm »
I might be willing to believe the reporting of the Sydney Morning Herald if Miss Allan's name even registered on Google-News at all, or show more than two blog hits.  Sounds like you're cherry picking your new articles to fit an omgevilnewsmedia agenda, Stevie.  The issue isn't the amount of people that die from known strains of influenza each year -- everyone knows this.  It's the fact that the current strain of swine flu represents an antigenic shift as opposed to the more normal antigenic drift.

But I would agree that thus far people outside of Mexico are over-reacting.  Just have to see how it plays out.  On the other hand an actual pandemic would hit a world in deep recession by a massive amount.

From the WHO: http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_29/en/index.html

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2009, 09:01:53 pm »
From the WHO: http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_29/en/index.html

key word: "confirmed" -- doesn't included suspected and your original link was purposely misleading and didn't state that.  Put the crack pipe down sweetie.

Also, there's something odd about referencing the WHO to validate your previous "strom in a teacup" comment when, in fact, they just raised the threat level five hours ago.  Sounds a bit like cognitive dissonance.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 09:09:30 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline marc11864

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2009, 09:34:58 pm »
I wonder if it might not be a good idea to post a locked thread near the top of the "Living With HIV" board that gives general info on HIV/Swine flu issues such as protective measures and med interactions including a link to the Check Your Meds location.

As fast as this thread seems to be rolling, many who are starting to panic (thank you media), might not have the inclination or patience to review every post in this thread and it might save redundancy in questions. We could then continue to use this thread for updated info as we get it.

Just a thought.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2009, 09:53:35 pm »
When people go to poz.com there's something on the front page at the top.  There's only so much you can do for ill informed panic-prone types.  If they're THAT panic'd I would assume that they'd have already made a call to their doctor's office.

Offline fearless

« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2009, 11:30:00 pm »
key word: "confirmed" -- doesn't included suspected and your original link was purposely misleading and didn't state that.  Put the crack pipe down sweetie.

Also, there's something odd about referencing the WHO to validate your previous "strom in a teacup" comment when, in fact, they just raised the threat level five hours ago.  Sounds a bit like cognitive dissonance.

Your just an offensive arsehole sometimes Philly. Why don't you get a life you shriveled up old queen.

I referenced WHO merely because you stated you did not believe the facts reported in the SMH. I'm sorry the facts sometimes get in the way of a good story.

Yes, WHO has raised the alert to a level 5 - and what does this mean exactly:

"Phase 5 is characterized by human-to-human spread of the virus into at least two countries in one WHO region. While most countries will not be affected at this stage, the declaration of Phase 5 is a strong signal that a pandemic is imminent and that the time to finalize the organization, communication, and implementation of the planned mitigation measures is short."

The way the media is carrying on where I live you would think that we are all in imminent danger of dying from swine flu.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2009, 11:56:59 pm »
Your just an offensive arsehole sometimes Philly. Why don't you get a life you shriveled up old queen.

I'm sorry that you feel that way.  Would you like a tissue?

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2009, 12:13:38 am »
Philly/Steve knock it off now, please don't let this go any further...you can debate and discuss without all the name calling.

Thanks
Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline marc11864

« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2009, 01:31:52 am »
When people go to poz.com there's something on the front page at the top.  There's only so much you can do for ill informed panic-prone types.  If they're THAT panic'd I would assume that they'd have already made a call to their doctor's office.

The suggestion was also in the interests of those of us who I suspect will tire quickly of having to repeat the same answer again and again. I think we are all becoming a bit on edge over the situation and I suspect that for the near future at least, it will continue to get worse.

Offline Robert

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2009, 02:04:29 am »

The US has seen 1 death.  159 deaths in Mexico. IT's spread to 9 countries. Harldy an epidemic much less a pandemic.

Sorry, I just don't understand the sense of urgency. 

Offline poz1970

« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2009, 02:44:52 am »

The US has seen 1 death.  159 deaths in Mexico. IT's spread to 9 countries. Harldy an epidemic much less a pandemic.

Sorry, I just don't understand the sense of urgency. 

agreed,

In Australia they're breaking into regular programming to report another person being tested.. Its a massive media hype, and to be honest... if it was going to really spread, they said the incubation period is 24-48 hours, so by now, the world would be flooded with cases.

Basically,  I think it comes down to paranoia and rapid response (may) have stopped this one from spreading and being a problem. 

Every hospital on the planet is at a heightened state of readiness for cases.

Only way it could be a problem now is if someone infected went to the movies and infected 1000 people...

J.
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline komnaes

« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2009, 03:22:03 am »
While I am definitely in the no-need-to-panic school of thought, I did witness first hand the devastating effect of SARS so I would rather the media be more vigilant in reporting than a complete denial, which was what the Chinese govt was doing.

In Hong Kong the government is going on an overdrive to implement old policies during SARS - cleaning the wet markets more regularly, punishing litterbugs, etc - which I am totally supporting.

And for us HIVers, it's good to keep reminding ourselves these personal hygiene essentials like washing hands, etc anyway. One less flu is always a good thing in my book, be in swine, bird, or whatever next (cat? dog?).
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline elf

« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2009, 03:54:19 am »
I'm kinda scared if this thing comes here...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 04:01:20 am by elf »

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2009, 08:08:19 am »
While it is obviously still early days, I found this piece in today's L.A. Times to be interesting in its clear-eyed efforts to contextualize what to expect from H1N1. Make no mistake, I do believe we all need to take this seriously and take necessary steps to protect ourselves -- but I do think it's necessary to be pragmatic and, well, optimistic.

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2009, 12:57:31 pm »
I'm not sweating it yet, although there have been two cases identified in my county; and one of them works at the local university medical center, where I have an appointment on Monday for lab work.   

::)
It's a complex world

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2009, 01:21:25 pm »
Well, there has been two confirmed cases of swine flu in the state next to mine, and one suspected case in my state! The person in my state tested for untypable flu, which in most other cases turns out to be swine flu. I've already bought a box of masks just in case, and will by buying extra hand sanitizer and stocking up on food and water, etc. tonight. Better safe than sorry in my opinion. My doctor wouldn't write me a script for tamiflu ahead of time though, said it was ethical suspect because if other people needed it and I had the meds but wasn't sick... I just hope someone doesn't get to decide I'm expendable if it gets really bad.
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline thinkertwo

Swine Flu...Hypersensitive imune system and Cytokine Storm.....
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2009, 01:32:26 pm »
I know getting it is a long shot.  I also know that my immune system is hypersensitive since being on HAART.  It took a month of torture and many different treatment tries to get over Poison Ivy.  Docs said my immune system would eventually get tiered of fighting...It did a month later; it was torture...
That said I'm going to assume it would be worse for me than most to get this...

I'm also hearing about the Cytokine Storm as the cause of many healthy young people dying from new viruses (immune system is so strong, the body mounts such an attack that fluids rush to the lungs and the danger increases)...Do HIV Pos people have to worry about this more and use extra caution?  Also, has there ever been a concern that another virus in a pos person can mutate HIV to an air borne virus?

Offline Cliff

« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2009, 01:56:54 pm »
I'm so fucking sick of this pig flu crap!  One day the headlines is "Flu in the tube (subway)" only to read that it's just some jerk guessing that given the number of people riding the tube everyday, someone is bound to have had it. 

Now today they are reporting that 94,000 Londoners will die from this pandemic, only to read that this is based on 50% of the 12 million people in London catching the disease.  That's a bit of a stretch considering there are only 8 confirmed cases in the entire country and they were people who went to Mexico recently.  And all of them have mild symptoms!

People don't realise that this hysteria is costing people their jobs.  The travel/food industry is already getting rid of thousands of workers, add this hysteria to the mix and thousands more will be let go soon.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2009, 02:01:25 pm »
Thinker:

While it is possible that H1N1 induces "cytokine storm" in young, otherwise healthy individuals, there's no evidence to support this theory quickly gaining traction in the press. According to a document released by the CDC -- "Interim Guidance for Clinicians on Identifying and Caring for Patients with Swin-origin Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection" -- there is "insufficient information to date about clinical complications of this variant of swine-origin influenza A (H1N1) virus infection."

All we really know about H1N1-related deaths involve Mexican patients. And we know that death rates -- and reasons for death -- can vary considerably between affected countries during pandemics. Fact is, most deaths occur in the developing world, with different healthcare infrastructures, environmental factors, etc. Only with continued research -- and it's all just starting, really -- will we learn more about who is most at risk of infection and who is most at risk of serious disease and death. Until then, please take into consideration that basic hygiene helps protect against H1N1, that pharmacies are stocking up on Relenza and Tamiflu (should you ever need it -- there's no call for preventive treatment) and, most importantly, that the vast majority of people diagnosed with 2009 H1N1 seem to be experiencing nothing more than mild, treatable symptoms.

And I don't see how coinfection with H1N1 would somehow render HIV airborne. The viruses are as different as elephants and zebras -- I haven't heard anyone suggest, even remotely, that HIV and H1N1 can "reassort" (the way the four influenza strains were "mixed" in pigs to form 2009 H1N1) to render a more easily transmitted HIV "supervirus."

Tim Horn

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:08:29 pm by Tim Horn »

Offline veritas

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2009, 10:20:54 pm »

Wendy,
I hadn't heard of this in the Metroplex Area yet. I was thinking that it was being over-hyped and trying to put it on ignore. Then, on Monday, I had to go pick up my Food Stamp card. I was there for an hour: my stifled paranoia reared it's ugly head and I found myself cowering in a far corner and trying to stay as far away as possible from everyone: especially their unruly children who were running rampant with runny noses:

...I am a magnet for children, for some reason, and I had to keep whispering in my most manly, authoratiative voice "go back to your mother and SIT down"  which: they did: for awhile.

I heard that not all masks are effective: you have to have the proper kind of mask for small particles/germs :-\

With all the schools in Fort Worth closed there will be more of those buggers around. A little too close to home huh? They canceled Mayfest too. Not that I planned on going. LOL

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2009, 11:51:42 pm »
From a Doctor in my area....

I'm not agreeing either way with what he is saying here I am merely posting this for others to see, this story just ran tonight on the late news cast here in San Antonio ...In the meantime Im hanging out with my hand sanitizer and trying to avoid coughers until we know for sure weather this piggy-flu will die out or progress.

http://www.infowars.com/texas-doctor-claims-swine-flu-cases-far-worse-than-reported/

A copy of the actual email is availbale in the link, here is how the website paraphrases it...

Dr. Marcus Gitterle, an emergency medicine physician based out of New Braunfels, Texas, sent out an internal alert which contains several stunning claims about swine flu that, if true, officials have presumably sought to keep from the public.

“After I returned from a public health meeting yesterday with community leaders and school officials in Comal County and Hays County, (name removed) suggested I send an update to my patients in the area, because what we are hearing privately from the CDC and Health Department is different from what you are hearing in the media,” writes Gitterle.

The doctor claims that the actual number of confirmed cases of swine flu is 10 to 25 times worse than has been reported, and that people are not recovering easily, as has been claimed, but that many Americans are in fact seriously ill.

“The way they fudge on reporting this is that it takes 3 days to get the confirmatory nod from the CDC on a given viral culture, but based on epidemiological grounds, we know that there are more than 10 cases for each “confirmed” case right now,” claims Gitterle.

“This has not been in the media, but a 23 month old in Houston is fighting for his life, and a pregnant woman just south of San Antonio is fighting for her life,” he writes.

Gitterle’s mention of a “23 month old in Houston” obviously refers to the Mexican toddler who died on Monday night and was announced as the first U.S. fatality on Tuesday morning.

Quick access to drugs like Tamiflu and Relenza, as well as ventilators, is preventing fatalities on the scale of Mexico, but Gitterle warns that “within a couple of weeks, regional hospitals will likely become overwhelmed”.

Gitterle warns, “ER’s south of here are becoming overwhelmed — and I mean that — already. It is coming in waves, but the waves are getting bigger.”

The doctor states that the severity of the situation has already crossed the threshold of the definition of a WHO phase 6 pandemic. “This has not happened in any of our lifetimes so far. We are in uncharted territory,” he writes.

Gitterle claims that President Obama is being advised to declare a national emergency and that this could happen within the next 48 hours.

“This may not happen, but if it doesn’t, I will be surprised. When this happens, all public gathering will be cancelled for 10 days minimum,” writes the doctor.

Gitterle advises people to avoid all public gatherings, especially those held indoors, to avoid going to their ER if they feel ill, and to take the nutritional supplements N-Acetyl-Cysteine and Oscillococinum. He recommends Relenza as a more powerful drug than Tamiflu but warns that supplies of both drugs are running out fast.

The doctor states that swine flu is infectious for about two days prior to symptom onset and that the virus can spread for more than seven days after symptom onset. The symptoms are the same as normal flu, although it has been discovered that swine flu causes a distinctive “hoarseness” in many victims.

“Since it is such a novel (new) virus, there is no “herd immunity,” so the “attack rate” is very high. This is the percentage of people who come down with a virus if exposed. Almost everyone who is exposed to this virus will become infected, though not all will be symptomatic. That is much higher than seasonal flu, which averages 10-15%. The “clinical attack rate” estimation from CDC and WHO may be around 40-50%. This is the number of people who show symptoms. This is a huge number. It is hard to convey the seriousness of this to those outside of the medical fields,” he writes.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline moratorium79

« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2009, 03:16:12 am »
I'm not generally one to get all caught up in media blitz, but I have to admit I'm genuinely concerned about this.  There was a case confirmed in the county in which I live today, and I work in a hospital, where patients are sure to gather during their sickness.  Couple that with my current CD4 count and it makes for one nervous boy.

Wah.  Let's hope this gets under control, and soon!
*these are not times for the weak of heart*

Offline randym431

« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2009, 05:16:01 am »
Not to down play the flu news, but so far I think its 25% worry and 75% news hype.
Typically some 1300 die from flu alone every year. Old, young, etc.
I think we were all suppose to die from  Legionnaires' disease some years ago, then West Nile Virus a few years ago. When you consider how many die in car crashes every day, or 1300 a year from your basic everyday flu, I wouldn’t go getting stressed about the pig flu just yet.
The press and news media are going to play this every day as if we are all doomed.
I don’t feel doomed just yet. This is how papers and tv news media rack up the ratings.
Just consider the facts. One child in the US has died. And a few hundred in Mexico.
Many that have caught this flu have recovered.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 05:17:56 am by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2009, 05:28:52 am »
Here in the SF bay area there are several confirmed cases and many others pending. Many schools are closing due to these cases.

It is hitting very close to home. My bf was fairly sick the last few weeks, with sore throat/cold/cough symptoms. OTC meds didn't work. I finally convinced him to see a doc last sunday. I called Kaiser at 6:26pm and they told us to be there at 6:30 ! Because his CD4 were under 400, the doc (not our regular doc) ordered a chest xray, which came normal, but he had a mild fever, and due to the length of his symptoms the doc gave him some antibiotics which have helped.

This tuesday it was my turn to start feeling the pain. No fever of any kind so far, but by thursday my throat was so sore that I could barely even speak. I went to see my doc and I could barely tell him my symptoms. He just told me it was a very nasty cold virus, not flu, since I didn't have fever. Because it was only my 3rd day of feeling sick he didn't want to give me antibiotics, but just told me to stay home until monday with a codeine syrup, sudafed, and lots of fluids. I hope I will be better then, but I don't see this one going away by itself, when it gets this nasty usually it doesn't. At least I'm happy it's not the H1N1/swine flu.

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2009, 06:11:45 am »
From a Doctor in my area....

I'm not agreeing either way with what he is saying here I am merely posting this for others to see, this story just ran tonight on the late news cast here in San Antonio ...In the meantime Im hanging out with my hand sanitizer and trying to avoid coughers until we know for sure weather this piggy-flu will die out or progress.

http://www.infowars.com/texas-doctor-claims-swine-flu-cases-far-worse-than-reported/

A copy of the actual email is availbale in the link, here is how the website paraphrases it...

Dr. Marcus Gitterle, an emergency medicine physician based out of New Braunfels, Texas, sent out an internal alert which contains several stunning claims about swine flu that, if true, officials have presumably sought to keep from the public.

“After I returned from a public health meeting yesterday with community leaders and school officials in Comal County and Hays County, (name removed) suggested I send an update to my patients in the area, because what we are hearing privately from the CDC and Health Department is different from what you are hearing in the media,” writes Gitterle.

The doctor claims that the actual number of confirmed cases of swine flu is 10 to 25 times worse than has been reported, and that people are not recovering easily, as has been claimed, but that many Americans are in fact seriously ill.

“The way they fudge on reporting this is that it takes 3 days to get the confirmatory nod from the CDC on a given viral culture, but based on epidemiological grounds, we know that there are more than 10 cases for each “confirmed” case right now,” claims Gitterle.

“This has not been in the media, but a 23 month old in Houston is fighting for his life, and a pregnant woman just south of San Antonio is fighting for her life,” he writes.

Gitterle’s mention of a “23 month old in Houston” obviously refers to the Mexican toddler who died on Monday night and was announced as the first U.S. fatality on Tuesday morning.

Quick access to drugs like Tamiflu and Relenza, as well as ventilators, is preventing fatalities on the scale of Mexico, but Gitterle warns that “within a couple of weeks, regional hospitals will likely become overwhelmed”.

Gitterle warns, “ER’s south of here are becoming overwhelmed — and I mean that — already. It is coming in waves, but the waves are getting bigger.”

The doctor states that the severity of the situation has already crossed the threshold of the definition of a WHO phase 6 pandemic. “This has not happened in any of our lifetimes so far. We are in uncharted territory,” he writes.

Gitterle claims that President Obama is being advised to declare a national emergency and that this could happen within the next 48 hours.

“This may not happen, but if it doesn’t, I will be surprised. When this happens, all public gathering will be cancelled for 10 days minimum,” writes the doctor.

Gitterle advises people to avoid all public gatherings, especially those held indoors, to avoid going to their ER if they feel ill, and to take the nutritional supplements N-Acetyl-Cysteine and Oscillococinum. He recommends Relenza as a more powerful drug than Tamiflu but warns that supplies of both drugs are running out fast.

The doctor states that swine flu is infectious for about two days prior to symptom onset and that the virus can spread for more than seven days after symptom onset. The symptoms are the same as normal flu, although it has been discovered that swine flu causes a distinctive “hoarseness” in many victims.

“Since it is such a novel (new) virus, there is no “herd immunity,” so the “attack rate” is very high. This is the percentage of people who come down with a virus if exposed. Almost everyone who is exposed to this virus will become infected, though not all will be symptomatic. That is much higher than seasonal flu, which averages 10-15%. The “clinical attack rate” estimation from CDC and WHO may be around 40-50%. This is the number of people who show symptoms. This is a huge number. It is hard to convey the seriousness of this to those outside of the medical fields,” he writes.

Update, 8:12 p.m.: The following is a statement from dr. Marcus Gitterle sent to KSAT 12 News:

http://www.journal-post.com/2009/04/dr-marcus-gitterles-e-mail.html

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2009, 10:24:21 am »
Swine flu has arrived in Hong Kong, Shaun -- get out your masks leftover from SARS.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2009, 11:04:05 am »
Oh yeah... and tomorrow is the annual parade of the Bun Festival on our little island of Cheung Chau, thousands of tourists are expected.

Timely though, the Festival started when my ancestors were devastated by a plague some 200 years ago and the parade was an attempt to chase away evil spirits. I should start another thread about it, as I took some really nice photos 2 nights ago when during the first night of ceremony.

As for my masks, I have some leftovers but I am sure they have well expired. Need to steal some new ones from the office.. :D

Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2009, 11:11:03 am »

And, down here in Florida, 8, suspected cases have been referred to the CDC for further testing, one from Pinellas County :

Lab checking 8 suspected swine flu cases in Florida
Friday, May 1, 2009

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2009/5/1/467510.html?title=Lab+checking+8+suspected+swine+flu+cases+in+Florida

Over 100 schools around the U.S. have been closed due to swine flu fears. TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Florida's surgeon general says the state has now referred eight suspected cases of swine flu to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta for more testing.

Dr. Ana M. Viamonte Ros said Friday that the cases included three reported Thursday as well as five others. The state could hear back about the cases late in the afternoon or on the weekend. The cases are from Alachua, Orange, Lee, Broward, and Pinellas counties.

The state is working on setting up a hotline where citizens can call for more information as well as distributing masks and antiviral medication.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.