Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:26:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 197
Total: 199

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Swine Flu (Influenza A H1N1) and HIV  (Read 67339 times)

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
Swine Flu (Influenza A H1N1) and HIV
« on: April 24, 2009, 09:02:00 pm »
Troubling news from Mexico.  Hope everyone here has had their flu shots.

"MEXICO CITY — Mexican officials, scrambling to control a swine flu outbreak that has killed as many as 61 people and infected possibly hundreds more in recent weeks, closed museums and shuttered schools for millions of students in and around the capital on Friday, and urged people with flu symptoms to stay home from work.

Most of Mexico’s dead were young, healthy adults, and none were over 60 or under 3 years old, the World Health Organization said. That alarms health officials because seasonal flus cause most of their deaths among infants and bedridden elderly people, but pandemic flus — like the 1918 Spanish flu, and the 1957 and 1968 pandemics — often strike young, healthy people the hardest.

Mexican officials promised a huge immunization campaign in the capital in the coming days, while urging people to avoid large gatherings and to refrain from shaking hands or greeting women with a kiss on the right cheek, as is common in Mexico"

Full story  http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/25/world/americas/25mexico.html?em

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 09:20:46 am by Tim Horn »
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Jody

Re: Flu virus in Mexico and US Southeast
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 10:44:45 pm »
There are concerns now here in New York as well about this potential worldwide epidemic.

I'm not sure the flu shot taken last Autumn will be effective against this odd combination type strain.

Let's hope for the best.

Jody ???
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 10:59:53 pm »
Uh, no... I'm afraid the flu shot is probably not useful against this which is a unique, never seen before, strain of swine flu (actually has genetic material from pigs, birds and humans combined in a new manner).

But yeah, considering that MC is the largest city in the Americas and the amount of travel there for business this isn't a great thing.  By now this is already incubating elsewhere all around the world frankly, or assumably so.  It's already spread around Mexico from the US border all the way to the southern state of Oaxaca.

The CDC seems to think that Tamiflu and Relenza are effective against this strain.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 11:02:21 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 03:46:25 am »

Just heard this on CNN a little while ago. Seems Serious !! Lots of hand washing folks !!

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Assurbanipal

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 07:33:49 am »
Uh, no... I'm afraid the flu shot is probably not useful against this which is a unique, never seen before, strain of swine flu (actually has genetic material from pigs, birds and humans combined in a new manner).

Actually, I don't think that is clear at this point.  The CDC has been preparing for an avian flu pandemic against which the seasonal flu vaccine would have no effect. 

Given that this is a genetic mix from other potentially more common strains, the current flu vaccine might have some effect (sometimes it will if the new flu is similar enough to the types that were in the mix).  The CDC spokesperson said they were looking into it on the 23rd and did not know yet.  ("... we don’t know yet about cross protection between this particular H1N1 strain and previous human H1N1 infections or the vaccine itself.  There are active studies going on to understand possible cross protection just as you mentioned".   http://www.cdc.gov/media/transcripts/2009/t090423.htm

There's been some speculation that the Mexican fatalities were concentrated among young adults because they were an unvaccinated population.  CDC doesn't appear to have said one way or the other yet.

It would not be 100% protective in any event.  But it may provide some limited protection.

Here's the web page that they set up a few years back to coordinate pandemic flu info:  http://www.pandemicflu.gov/index.html
And the new page on the swine flu (since they don't know whether it will be pandemic at this point) http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/investigation.htm#general
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2014 VL UD - 48

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 07:48:32 am »

There's been some speculation that the Mexican fatalities were concentrated among young adults because they were an unvaccinated population.  CDC doesn't appear to have said one way or the other yet.

I would imagine that it probably also has to do with the fact that young adults are more likely to try to shrug the flu off and continue going to work and continue partying, instead of jumping back into bed and getting some rest, so their bodies can more effectively deal with the intruder. It's easy to become quickly run-down and vulnerable when you try to ignore an illness.

Thanks for posting this, Assurbanipal. As Miss Philly points out, with global air-travel being what it is today, and with Mexico City being a popular venue for business conferences etc, this is something we're all going to have to keep an eye out for. (and I also quoted your OP in the "cure" thread in Research, where someone tried to say we all cure the flu on our own)

As Ray said earlier in this thread, regular hand-washing is your best line of defence, along with not rubbing your eyes or sticking your fingers into your mouth. This is how most flu is spread - by getting some of the flu germs on your hands then transferring them to your body - usually by touching your face.

It's also a good idea to carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer with you when out in public when there's flu about in your area. All you have to do is squirt some on and rub it in - there's no need for water. Hand sanitizer is available in most shops that also carry regular over-the-counter cold and flu remedies.

Ann
(who is stocking up on hand sanitizer, just in case this flu hits the Rock!)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Assurbanipal

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 07:56:54 am »
Ann

Thanks.  Note, in addition to the important hand sanitation suggestions, here is another preventive suggestion from the CDC flu protection page (which I just added to Vasky's thread as well)

- Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/habits.htm

A

(edited -- copy and paste from the other thread wasn't quite appropos ... :-[  )
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:01:13 am by Assurbanipal »
2014 VL UD - 48

Offline Texan38

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 08:34:38 am »
I've been hearing so much about this and even more so here in El Paso because Juarez, MX is a walk across the bridge! The only thing that separates us is the Rio Grande. Along with all the violence, murders, kidnappings that's been going on because of the drug cartel wars, now this flu virus, it's pretty scary.

In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 10:15:32 am »
Actually, I don't think that is clear at this point.  The CDC has been preparing for an avian flu pandemic against which the seasonal flu vaccine would have no effect. 

Given that this is a genetic mix from other potentially more common strains, the current flu vaccine might have some effect (sometimes it will if the new flu is similar enough to the types that were in the mix). 

I was using the wording, and note that it said "probably", from either a Reuters or AP article that went up at the time I made my post.

link

Q. Does a regular flu shot protect against swine flu?
A. The seasonal flu vaccine used in the U.S. this year won't likely provide protection against the latest swine flu virus. There is a swine flu vaccine for pigs but not for humans.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 10:21:57 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline Cliff

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 12:20:56 pm »
Oh great, this is just what we need to worry about now!

I hope this ends up being media hype.  Throwing out "pandemic" so quickly seems odd for the WHO, especially considering...
"This is an animal strain of the H1N1 virus, and it has pandemic potential because it is infecting people," Chan said.

...means that every virus meets their definition.

::)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 01:05:08 pm »

I hope this ends up being media hype.  Throwing out "pandemic" so quickly seems odd for the WHO, especially considering...

I think that the difference here is that there is human to human infections happening -- not simply animal to human as in the vast majority of the "bird flu" cases the last few years.  A pandemic isn't going to happen without human to human infection. 

While I think it is too soon to panic, it is certainly time to take precautions -- i.e. handwashing, etc.

Interesting, my brother has been in the hospital for a week now (he is in RI) with what has finally been diagnosed as pneumonia and influenza.  He's a healthy 42 year old with no history of respitory issues.  He's had a VERY hard time of it -- finally getting better, but spent a day in ICU because his blood oxygen levels were dangerously low.  I don't think he's been in Mexico lately, but he does like to vacation there......

Mike

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 01:06:10 pm »

From what I read, I don't think anyone really has much to worry about, sounds like it's all Meda Hype to me......
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 03:21:24 pm »
Yeah... how DARE the media!  Let's see -- preliminary results just showed that the strain of flu reported in up to 300 students at one private school in Queens, New York (where some had just travelled to Mexico together for spring break) is type A, the same as what is in Mexico -- more testing is being done to see if this is the exact same flu, but it's not a stretch to see it as distinctly possible.

bocker is correct about the human-to-human factor -- even the H5N1 avian virus in Asia and Egypt didn't have that so WHO never raised the threat level.  If WHO raises the level today or the next few days you'll see the media really go into overdrive.  Also, this current strain is an H1 type and that's one of the ones that have previously caused world pandemics.

Anyway, can you imagine living in a city of 20 million people and having every public event cancelled?

edit: NY Health Commissioner is live on TV right now saying that tests are showing 8 students with probable swine flu, but they have mild symptoms.

Also, they have just reported two confirmed cases in Kansas.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 04:22:52 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
Personal Response from the CDC
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 08:10:08 pm »
Attached is a response from the CDC to my inquiry regarding this outbreak and immunodeficient individuals.

I am awaiting further definitive information from them regarding this outbreak and HIV positive individuals and will post as I have information available.

In summary, currently no definitive action has been suggested by the CDC regarding immuno-compromised individuals.

Marc

Thank you for your inquiry to CDC-INFO.  In response to your request for information on the present Swine Flu outbreak, we are pleased to provide you with the following information.

A total of 8 cases of swine influenza (flu) infection in humans have been confirmed as of April 23, 2009. The cases were found in California and Texas. These strains (types) of swine flu can be treated with certain antiviral medications (drugs that kill viruses). All 8 patients have fully recovered from the illness and only 1 patient was reported to have been hospitalized.

CDC has tested samples from all 8 patients and found them to be swine influenza A (H1N1). Swine flu normally infects and causes illness in pigs. It's not known how these people were infected with these viruses. It does appear that swine flu can be spread from person to person.

CDC is working very closely with state and local officials in California and Texas as well as other health and animal officers to investigate these cases. Currently, there are no travel advisories or restrictions posted for travel to or from Mexico, California, or Texas. But, you may want to check CDC's Travelers' Health website for the most current information.

To learn more about swine flu, visit the CDC Swine Flu website. Updates about the current outbreak will be posted each day at 3 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

Questions and Answers
Can I get swine influenza from eating or preparing pork?

Swine influenza (flu) in pigs is primarily a respiratory (breathing tract) infection. Few reports exist to indicate that the virus enters the bloodstream or is found elsewhere in the pig's body. So, it's unlikely that swine influenza virus (SIV) would be found in pork/pork products.

Pigs with active SIV infection would not pass inspection and would not be allowed to be sold for human consumption. Pigs with SIV infection are known to shed virus for a short time period. But, they cease shedding within 1 week. So, a pig that has recovered from SIV infection would no longer have the virus.

If virus is present, it should be inactivated (killed) at normal cooking temperatures.

What is swine flu?
Swine flu is an economically important cause of respiratory disease in pigs throughout the world. It can occasionally cause disease in humans. The first identified swine influenza virus, H1N1, was isolated in the U.S. in 1930.

How does swine flu spread?
Influenza viruses can be directly transmitted (spread) from pigs to people as "zoonotic" disease agents, and vice versa, from people to pigs. Human infections with flu viruses from pigs are most likely to occur when people are in close proximity to infected pigs, such as in pig production barns and livestock exhibits at fairs. Human-to-human transmission of swine flu is thought to occur in the same way as seasonal flu.

What are the symptoms of swine flu?
The symptoms of swine flu in people are expected to be similar to the symptoms of regular human seasonal flu infection. They include
* fever,
* lethargy (lack of energy),
* lack of appetite, and
* coughing.

Some people with swine flu have also reported:
* runny nose,
* sore throat,
* nausea,
* vomiting, and
* diarrhea.

How can human infections with swine influenza be diagnosed?
To diagnose swine influenza A infection, a respiratory specimen (sample) would need to be collected and sent to CDC for lab testing. In most people, the specimen would need to be collected within the first 4 to 5 days of infection. This is when the infected person is most likely to be shedding virus. But some people, especially children, may shed virus for 10 days or longer.

Are there drugs to treat swine flu infections in humans?
Influenza antiviral drugs have been shown to have activity against swine influenza viruses. CDC recommends the use of oseltamivir or zanamivir for the treatment and/or prevention of infection with the swine influenza A (H1N1) viruses isolated in California and Texas.

Does the current influenza vaccination protect you from swine H1N1 flu?
It's unlikely that the seasonal flu vaccine provides protection against swine H1N1 viruses. The seasonal flu vaccine protects against 3 strains of human influenza viruses.

Is the H1N1 swine flu virus the same as human H1N1 viruses?
The H1N1 swine flu virus is very different from human H1N1 and avian H1N1 viruses. Antibodies (infection-fighting cells) made against either the human, swine, or avian H1N1 viruses are expected to provide little if any protection against an H1N1 virus from another species.

How often do people get swine H1N1 flu?
Human infection with swine flu viruses is rare. In the past several years, on average, CDC has received about 1 influenza virus isolate from a human that tests positive for swine flu each year. Most commonly, these cases have had direct exposure to pigs (workers in the pork production industry, for example).

Has human-to-human spread of swine flu viruses occurred before?
There have been some documented cases of 1 person spreading swine flu to another. For example, an outbreak of apparent swine flu infection in pigs in Wisconsin in 1988 resulted in multiple human infections. In this case, there was antibody evidence of virus transmission from a patient to healthcare personnel. (Wells D, JAMA 1991)

Are these cases of swine H1N1 flu related to the swine flu cases of 1976?
The viruses detected in California are different from the swine flu virus that caused the 1976 outbreak. Most genetic parts of these viruses are similar to swine flu viruses from the North American lineage; however, parts of the virus are similar to swine flu viruses of the Eurasian lineage.

What is being done to detect other cases of human infection with swine H1N1 influenza virus?
Epidemiological (source and cause of disease) investigations, including tracing contacts of all 7 patients, are ongoing. Enhanced surveillance (monitoring) for human swine influenza virus infection is also underway.

Could these cases signal the beginning of a pandemic?
At this time, there is no evidence of efficient and sustained human-to-human transmission or widespread infection with swine flu virus. Efficient human-to-human transmission is required for a pandemic to occur. CDC will continue to monitor the situation.

What can I do to protect myself from getting sick?
There is no vaccine available right now to protect against swine flu. There are everyday actions that can help prevent the spread of germs that cause respiratory illnesses like influenza.
Take these everyday steps to protect your health:
-Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
-Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.
-Try to avoid close contact with sick people.

If you get sick with influenza, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.

CDC Resources
Swine Influenza (Flu)
National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Division of Viral Diseases
www.cdc.gov/swineflu

Human Swine Influenza Investigation
National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Division of Viral Diseases
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/swine/investigation.htm

Seasonal Flu
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/

Travelers' Health
National Center for Preparedness, Detection, and Control of Infectious Diseases, Division of Global Migration and Quarantine
http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/contentSwineFluMexico.aspx

External Resources
United States Department of Agriculture
http://www.usda.gov/

Links provided to non-Federal organizations are provided solely as a service to our users. These links do not constitute an endorsement of these organizations or their programs by CDC or the Federal Government, and none should be inferred. The CDC is not responsible for the content of the individual organization web pages found at these links.

Thank you for contacting CDC-INFO Contact Center. Please do not hesitate to call 1-800-CDC-INFO, e-mail cdcinfo@cdc.gov or visit http://www.cdc.gov if you have any additional questions.

CDC-INFO is a service of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR).  This service is provided by Vangent, Inc. under contract to CDC and ATSDR.
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 10:03:08 pm »
2 confirmed cases in Guadalupe County, 45 miles south of Austin. One of the worse flu cases I ever had was in April.  :-\

Offline clsoca

Swine flu virus in the U.S.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 10:34:08 pm »
I just saw a breaking news story on TV here in California. They reported the Swine Flu has entered the USA. The CDC folks said on TV "We do not think we can contain the spread of this virus."

Also it was reported that no vaccine specifically protects against the swine flu.

The reporter said that vaccines are available to be given to pigs to prevent swine flu but a vaccine has not  been produced to protect humans from swine flu.

10/07 Infected
11/07 Seroconversion
07/08 Tested Poz
07/08 VL 487  CD4 658  (No Meds)
10/08 VL 286  CD4 724  (No Meds)
01/24/09 VL 30,100   CD4 329 CD4 30% (No Meds)
02/06/09 VL 44,000   CD4 367 CD4 36%  Blood Work @ UCLA (No Meds)
02/06/09 VL 44,000   CD4 317 CD4 35% Blood Work @ USC (No Meds)
02/12/09 VL 52,000   CD4 297 CD4 29%
02/12/09  Started Atripla
04/01/09 VL 60  CD4 667   CD4 48%
06-05-09  VL UD CD4 427   CD4 39%

Offline veritas

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 04:49:37 am »

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220040161429%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20040161429&RS=DN/20040161429

Patent app #20040161429 (filed 8-15-03, pub. USPO 8-19-04)
“Compositions for treating Viral Infections using Immunoconjugates to Aminophospholipids”
http://tinyurl.com/6pdny

[0919] “The therapeutics provided by the invention are valuable agents having broad-spectrum anti-viral activity. In addition to being effective against a large number of potentially lethal viruses, the agents can also be administered after exposure to the virus, even in settings where the exact nature of the virus is not known. Thus, the anti-viral therapeutics of the present invention do not require a prolonged period of time between identification of the pathogen and delivery of the therapy, in marked contrast with the time and expense entailed by the development, production or delivery of specific vaccines.”

Anti-ps could be used as a therapy if this flu should develop into an epidemic.

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 05:01:12 am »

8 New York Students Likely Have Strain of Swine Flu

“…the World Health Organization said it was considering whether to declare an international public health emergency, a move that could involve travel advisories and border closings.”

“The United States has a detailed pandemic preparedness plan that was written in 2005 during the early years of the scare over H5N1 bird flu. But one person involved in planning said that federal officials were “not pulling the trigger on any part of it yet.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/world/americas/26flu.html?pagewanted=2&hp

Offline Veritee

• Post Natal Illness Support
Swine Feaver/Flu
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 05:03:18 am »
Anyone have any knowledge or information on how people with HIV would cope with this seemingly new type of flu? i.e the one now in Mexico and US that is thought to be passed on by human contact.

Especially if it goes pandemic as it is threatening to do?

i.e are we more at risk than most ( does our lower CD4 make it harder to fight?)

Can those on HIV ARV take antiretrovirals that seem to be effective against it such as Tamiflu?

Should we be worried i.e more worried than those without HIV?
or is it a false alarm like the bird flu was or are we no more vulnerable tan anyone else to this - although it does seem to be killing even those without HIV or otherwise compromised immune systems.

I am not a health obsessive at all but I had the flu in the last huge flu pandemic that was often fatal in the 50s and as a young fit young person only just survived

So just wondered if we should start finding out now - as forewarned is always good

Thanks Veritee
I have a blog here, please do not judge me on what I say here- I need to offload and this is where I do it: http://hiv-and-us.blogspot.com/

Offline veritas

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 05:11:54 am »

Replikins, Ltd. published a FluForecast® warning in April 7th, 2008, a year before the recent Mexico and California H1N1 cases. The company was able to state the likelihood of H1N1 outbreaks based on its patented Replikin Count™ genomics technology, which examines specific regions in virus genes which have been linked with past epidemics. The April 2008 announcement, attached below as published on the Web, stated that in H1N1 the company had then detected the highest concentrations of these specific regions ever seen, except for those from the 1918 pandemic which killed millions of people. Today, the company is actively pursuing licensing partnerships to apply its groundbreaking technology not only to early warning systems, but also to the development of synthetic vaccines to prevent or slow future epidemics. A synthetic H1N1 Replikins Vaccine is available for testing, and related products are described below and on the company's website.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/04/prweb2360154.htm

(PRWEB) April 25, 2009 -- Replikins, Ltd. published a FluForecast® warning in April 7th, 2008, a year before the recent Mexico and California H1N1 cases. The company was able to state the likelihood of H1N1 outbreaks based on its patented Replikin Count™ genomics technology, which examines specific regions in virus genes which have been linked with past epidemics.

The April 2008 announcement, attached below as published on the Web, stated that in H1N1 the company had then detected the highest concentrations of these specific regions ever seen, except for those from the 1918 pandemic which killed millions of people. Today, the company is actively pursuing licensing partnerships to apply its groundbreaking technology not only to early warning systems, but also to the development of synthetic vaccines to prevent or slow future epidemics.

Replikins, Ltd. published a FluForecast® warning on April 7th, 2008, a year before the recent Mexico and California H1N1 cases. The company was able to state the likelihood of H1N1 outbreaks based on its patented Replikin Count™ genomics technology, which examines specific regions in virus genes which have been linked with past epidemics.

A synthetic H1N1 Replikins Vaccine is available for testing. A similar synthetic Replikin Vaccine has been shown to successfully block the entry of H5N1 virus into, replication in, and excretion from chickens. Another synthetic Replikin Vaccine has been shown to protect 91% of shrimp from the lethal Taura Syndrome Virus. The company is able to produce these vaccines in as little as 7 days, rather than the many months needed for traditional vaccines, because they are synthesized at the peptide level.

The following is the text of the April 2008 release in which Replikins was able to pinpoint the high risk of H1N1 outbreaks:

"H1N1 Influenza Virus with Highest Replikin Count™ Since the 1918 Pandemic Identified in the U.S. and Austria

Boston, MA (PRWeb) April 7, 2008 -- Replikins, Ltd. has found that the Replikin Count™ of the H1N1 strain of influenza virus has recently increased to 7.6 (plus/minus 1.4), its highest level since the 1918 H1N1 pandemic (p value less than 0.001). A rising Replikin Count of a particular influenza strain, indicating rapid replication of the virus, is an early warning which has been followed consistently by an outbreak of the specific strain. The current increase appears to be specific to H1N1; there was a concurrent 80% decline in the Replikin Count of H3N2, for instance.

The current H1N1 appears to be rapidly replicating simultaneously in the U.S. and Austria. It may succeed H5N1 as the leading candidate for the next expected overdue pandemic. However, the same virus replikin structures detected by FluForecast® software in all three previous pandemics, namely 1918 H1N1, 1957 H2N2, and 1968 H3N2, as well as in H5N1, have not yet been detected in the currently evolving H1N1.

There is evidence that many factors, including virus structure, host receptivity, and the environment, together with infectivity and rapid replication, need to converge for a pandemic to occur. For H5N1, the high human mortality rate, which peaked at over 80% in 2006-07 in Indonesia, as well as current low infectivity, both appear to limit H5N1's ability to produce a pandemic. Furthermore, the H5N1 rapid replication cycle which began in 1996 now appears to be over. The H5N1 virus produced less than 300 World Health Organization confirmed deaths over the past 10 years.

On the other hand, H1N1, with an estimated human mortality rate of only 2.5 to 10%, but with much higher infectivity, produced an estimated 50 million deaths in the 1918 pandemic. A number of countermeasures exist today which did not exist in 1918, however. Among these is Replikins' ability to manufacture synthetic vaccines based on current sequences, with a seven day production turnaround. (end of 4/2008 release)

In the April 2008 announcement above, as published on the Web, Replikins stated that it had detected the highest levels of its specific genome regions ever seen in any virus samples, except for those from the 1918 pandemic which killed tens of millions of people. Today, the company is actively pursuing licensing partnerships to apply its groundbreaking technology not only to early warning systems, but also to the development of synthetic vaccines to prevent or slow future epidemics.

The original release can be found at http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/103052.php and http://www.bio-medicine.org/biology-technology-1/H1N1-Influenza-Virus-With-Highest-Replikin-Count-28TM-29-Since-the-1918-Pandemic-Identified-in-the-U-S--and-Austria-4432-1/, among other sites.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 10:30:59 am »
This sure isn't very encouraging - a lot of Mexican doctors have posted that deaths are being very under-reported throughout the country:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/8018428.stm

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 11:14:37 am »
Let me preface this comment with the fact that at times I DO tend to overreact...

Im more than a little concerned, 2 of the Texas cases occured at Steele High School in Schertz Texas, I live about 15 miles from there. I am also about 10 miles from the San Antonio Intl airport which handles about 5-10 mexico city flights a day...

I'm assuming that as a Poz individual I need to be more concerned than the average person about the flu. But how much more so do I need to be concerned? If I get ithis thing am I a "Gonner" (especially based on my numbers)???

Actually as Im writing this the Sa news is reporting a 3rd case at Steele Hs and they are closing the school for a week

Im seriously considering a mask...am I overreacting again???
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:37:14 am by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline bocker3

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 01:30:25 pm »
Personally, I think it is a very good idea to be vigilant and take the "common" precautions for flu -- i.e. wash your hands, avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth, etc.  I don't think it is time to panic (in fact, I don't know that there is ever a time for panic). 

Interestingly, I have read that back in the 1918 flu pandemic, the reason most deaths were from young, healthy adults was connected to strong immune reactions -- in fact, over-reactions to the virus.  Who knows what this flu might present for HIV+ individuals -- bottomline is that we should try and avoid getting it -- so, (I'll repeat myself), wash your hands often, don't touch your eyes, nose, or mouth and avoid sick people if you can.  Also -- if you start feeling sick, don't ignore it.  It isn't usually the "flu" that kills, it is the pneumonia that comes secondary to the flu.

Mike

Offline Veritee

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 02:13:19 pm »
The questions I have are simply:

• Does Tamiflu and Relenza interact with HIV meds - can we take theses if we are on HIV ARVs?
  • Are people living with HIV of more risk to this virus than the general population?

By the way it was reported on UK TV News just now that this Flu has reached the UK. However so far it has only been reported conclusively in two UK travelers who arrived in Scotland today from Mexico.

They are in isolation in hospital.

I am in touch with women who locally have children with HIV and this is very worrying as a mum as you want to protect your children so I am keeping up to date - so will let you know the UK situation when I hear it

I have a blog here, please do not judge me on what I say here- I need to offload and this is where I do it: http://hiv-and-us.blogspot.com/

Offline Scotian

Re: Flu virus in Mexico and US Southeast/Canada
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 02:22:20 pm »
Four cases just confirmed this afternoon in Nova Scotia, Canada, in  a small town outside Halifax.
They are high school students who were in Mexico recently. They are recovering.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 02:31:08 pm by Scotian »

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 04:25:53 pm »
I also have read the same thing Mike posted... that the deaths in Mexico were NOT among those typically most affected by flu epidemics, but rather among the young and healthy.  Ann mentioned one theory was that they hadn't gotten the flu vaccine.  However, most scientists agree that is not the answer.   

Therefore, those of us that have "suppressed" immune systems may be sitting in the "sweet spot" in terms of survival rates.  Death is caused by a hyper-stimulated immune system; where the reaction is so strong, fluid builds up in the lungs and effectively suffocates the victims.

I would think all should take precautions, but the most at-risk groups among HIV+ would seem to me to be those w/normal immune systems and those on the other end of the spectrum where the immune system is so disfunctional that even the common cold could be considered serious.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 04:32:40 pm »
The questions I have are simply:

• Does Tamiflu and Relenza interact with HIV meds - can we take theses if we are on HIV ARVs?
  • Are people living with HIV of more risk to this virus than the general population?

You can check your meds here:  http://www.aidsmeds.com/cmm/

I can tell you that there are no interactions with atripla, reyataz or norvir

As for your second question.....  I don't think that there is any way to know at this point.  The good thing is that whether poz or neg you can increase your chances of avoiding the flu by doing everything people keep saying to do -- wash your hands, etc.

Mike

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 04:34:48 pm »

Ann mentioned one theory was that they hadn't gotten the flu vaccine.  However, most scientists agree that is not the answer.   

My theory was that young adults are more likely to try to ignore (shrug off) the flu and keep going to work etc instead of getting back into bed, getting some rest and taking care of themselves so their body can fight the virus. I think that could be a contributing factor - but not the only factor. Someone else mentioned the no-vaccine theory. :)

I seem to remember something about people with hiv having an easier time of the avian flu when it was going around China and the Far East. Maybe this was to do with other people ending up with a hyper-stimulated immune system - as has been mentioned about the recent flu/deaths.

Ann

edited because I wrote this last night while tired and inadvertently came off sounding a bit rude. (sorry Mitch!).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 04:31:24 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bocker3

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2009, 04:36:42 pm »
I also have read the same thing Mike posted... that the deaths in Mexico were NOT among those typically most affected by flu epidemics, but rather among the young and healthy.  Ann mentioned one theory was that they hadn't gotten the flu vaccine.  However, most scientists agree that is not the answer.   

Therefore, those of us that have "suppressed" immune systems may be sitting in the "sweet spot" in terms of survival rates.  Death is caused by a hyper-stimulated immune system; where the reaction is so strong, fluid builds up in the lungs and effectively suffocates the victims.

I would think all should take precautions, but the most at-risk groups among HIV+ would seem to me to be those w/normal immune systems and those on the other end of the spectrum where the immune system is so disfunctional that even the common cold could be considered serious.

I would not assume that this flu virus will react the same as the 1918 virus did -- I was merely sharing some history.

At any rate, it's certainly not time to panic, but rather to stay vigilant and listen for updates from the WHO and the CDC, etc (try not to let the tabloid media outlets drive us all nuts with worry).

Oh, yeah -- and wash your hands.  

Mike

Offline Veritee

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 05:35:07 pm »
Thank you for answering my questions bocker3

I am on Atripla as are my husband and many of the others I know near me in the UK

And I will take usual precautions and tell others to. i.e wash hands etc

thank you

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2009, 06:39:18 pm »
Just so everyone knows, the United States just declared a "public health emergency" related to the swine flu.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_swine_flu_emergency

WASHINGTON – The U.S. declared a public health emergency Sunday to deal with the emerging new swine flu, much like the government does to prepare for approaching hurricanes.

Officials reported 20 U.S. cases of swine flu in five states so far, with the latest in Ohio and New York. Unlike in Mexico where the same strain appears to be killing dozens of people, cases in the United State have been mild — and U.S. health authorities can't yet explain why.

"As we continue to look for cases, we are going to see a broader spectrum of disease," predicted Dr. Richard Besser, acting chief of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "We're going to see more severe disease in this country."

At a White House news conference, Besser and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano sought to assure Americans that health officials are taking all appropriate steps to minimize the impact of the outbreak.

Top among those is declaring the public health emergency. As part of that, Napolitano said roughly 12 million doses of the drug Tamiflu will be moved from a federal stockpile to places where states can quickly get their share if they decide they need it. Priority will be given to the five states with known cases so far: California, Texas, New York, Ohio and Kansas.

Napolitano called the emergency declaration standard operating procedure — one was declared recently for the inauguration and for flooding. She urged people to think of it as a "declaration of emergency preparedness."

"Really that's what we're doing right now. We're preparing in an environment where we really don't know ultimately what the size of seriousness of this outbreak is going to be."

___

On the Net:

CDC: http://www.cdc.gov
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline planonstaying

• Hiv is the FOX,tcells the rabbit, CALL the HOUNDS!
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2009, 06:57:01 pm »
  I read they are following up a bunch of pneumonia  cases in Mexico.  Pneumonia is the devil. I guess they think some  may of been swine flu related. I won't be wearing a mask  but I will be touching nothing, being mindful to keep my hands away from my face and washing them a lot.
If someone tells you  potential consequences of a behavior  it  doesn't  mean they jude you or mit    they may just give a shit about you

Offline Assurbanipal

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2009, 09:03:10 pm »
Today's CDC press briefing (unfortunately all CAPS) http://www.cdc.gov/media/transcripts/2009/t090426.htm

-- they are clearly still searching for explanations as to why the virus has caused so many deaths in Mexico and so far been relatively mild in the US and Canada.

-- they do not know whether it will be milder in older or immunosuppressed individuals

-- they have issued guidelines for treatment, but everything is subject to change. 

-- they confirmed the seasonal vaccine is unlikely to be protective; don't know yet whether exposure to regular flu in the past would be protective or not

About the interim treatment guidelines: http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/recommendations.htm

For now, immunosuppressed people like us are assumed to be at high risk for complications.  The guidelines say that prophylactic treatment with either oseltamivir or zanamivir (Tamiflu or Relenza)  is recommended for immunosuppressed individuals who are:
 -  travelers to Mexico or
 -  in close household contact with a confirmed or suspected case.
2014 VL UD - 48

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2009, 04:42:51 am »
As a news conference in Washington, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano called the emergency declaration “standard operating procedure,” and said she would rather call it a “declaration of emergency preparedness.”

“It’s like declaring one for a hurricane,” she said. “It means we can release funds and take other measures. The hurricane may not actually hit.”
From an article in today's NY Times.

So, the CDC, by declaring a "public health emergency", isn't actually saying there IS an emergency, but they are preparing for one, just in case.  That's my motto - Be Prepared. (whatever anyone tells you to the contrary, the Scouts stole that phrase from me.) ;D

Here in the UK, we're being told to be alert. Goodness knows the world, and certainly the UK, needs more lerts. ;)

It might seem as though I'm making light of the situation, and I guess to an extent I am. It's just my way of trying to remind everyone to keep this in perspective and don't panic. As has been said again and again in this thread, hand-washing and keeping your hands off your face are your best lines of defence. Be prepared, but don't panic!

Ann
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 04:50:55 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline poz1970

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2009, 04:49:04 am »
As a news conference in Washington, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano called the emergency declaration “standard operating procedure,” and said she would rather call it a “declaration of emergency preparedness.”

“It’s like declaring one for a hurricane,” she said. “It means we can release funds and take other measures. The hurricane may not actually hit.”
From an article in today's NY Times.

So, the CDC, by declaring a "public health emergency", isn't actually saying there IS an emergency, but they are preparing for one, just in case.  That's my motto - Be Prepared. (whatever anyone tells you to the contrary, the Scouts stole that phrase from me.)

Here in the UK, we're being told to be alert. Goodness knows the world, and certainly the UK, needs more lerts. ;)

Ann

The News here stated that it was declared an emergency in the US so that the stockpiles of drugs could be released... from midnight monday (6 hours from now), all international flights will be screened when arriving in Australia

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline veritas

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2009, 05:08:27 am »
BBC answers questions about swine flu:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8020125.stm

Offline veritas

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2009, 05:12:42 am »

cdc reports about swine flu:

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

Offline komnaes

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2009, 06:08:13 am »
Having lived through the bird flu in and traveling between the two epic centers (Hong Kong and Beijing..), there are several sensible things to do:

- Wash hands regularly, bring a bottle of alcohol-based hand sanitizer if your job, etc requires you to be outside, on public transportation, in public places a lot, etc

- Face mask is your BEST FRIEND, and make sure you have the right surgical type (highly recommend all fellow HIVer to wear one when visiting the clinic no matter what)

- While no need to completely lock yourself up, do avoid large enclosed public places (cinemas, etc) with poor air ventilation, especially try to avoid public toilets (if you must, wash hands thoroughly afterward)

- Avoid eating raw foods that are not prepared by yourself; if you buy fruits do wash them thoroughly

Oh, and no need to panic..

Shaun

PS - did have one surreal experience in the middle of bird flu; was on a flight from San Francisco back to Hong Kong in the middle of the SARS/bird flu panic; they already scheduled a smaller 737, there were 5, yes 5, passengers on that flight..
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline tgccme

Is anyone worried about the swine flu?
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2009, 08:12:12 am »
Having a low CD 4 count and percentage ... I am somewhat worried about this new outbreak... I was planning on a trip this coming weekend but I think I should stay home and take the normal precautions.
Is anyone else overly worried...?I assume it will be easier for those of us with low counts to get sick ...
diagnosed 1/08 pcp cd 20 percent 2 vl 358,000
started Kaletra and Truvada
2/08 cd 40   vl 2600
3/08 cd 4 116 vl 2600
4/08 cd 4 139 vl 220
5/08  cd4 166 vl <75
7/08 cd4 137 vl <75
9/08 cd4 80 vl<75
11/08 cd4 193 vl<75
2/09 cd4 254 percentage 8 vl<48
05/09 cd 4 271 percentage 9  vl<48
08/09 cd4 279 percentage 12 VL<48
Changed to Reyataz/norvir/truvada
09/09 cd4 302 percentage 15 VL <48

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2009, 08:43:06 am »
Living in one of the largest hog counties in the state we're use to it. It's just something that sometimes happens but not often. It's playing havoc on farmers that are raising hogs for medicial purposes. The red signs are up again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2009, 08:52:37 am »
Having a low CD 4 count and percentage ... I am somewhat worried about this new outbreak... I was planning on a trip this coming weekend but I think I should stay home and take the normal precautions.
Is anyone else overly worried...?I assume it will be easier for those of us with low counts to get sick ...

tg,

You don't say where you live, but unless you're in Mexico, I wouldn't necessarily cancel the trip. You don't give us many details so it's difficult to answer you. If you're going to a large gathering of people such as a sporting event, then maybe you'd be wise to stay home. If you're not going to be in contact with huge amounts of people in a confined space, I wouldn't worry too much.

As everyone keeps saying, frequent hand-washing, the use of hand sanitizer when on the go, and keeping your hands off your face (eye-rubbing is one of the worst things to do in regards catching colds and flu) are your best lines defence no matter where you are.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2009, 10:22:09 am »
tg,

As everyone keeps saying, frequent hand-washing, the use of hand sanitizer when on the go, and keeping your hands off your face (eye-rubbing is one of the worst things to do in regards catching colds and flu) are your best lines defence no matter where you are.

Ann

Good advice. This also might be a good time to resist the temptation of putting a stranger's pee-pee in one's eyes, ears, nose and throat. Oh, and pooper. ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:29:18 am by Dachshund »

Offline Miss Philicia

Re: Swine Flu (Influenza A H1N1) and HIV
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2009, 10:55:46 am »
Top EU health official is telling people not to travel to the US?  Sounds a bit overkill IMO.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2009, 05:05:23 pm »
Doubt any of this is exactly news to those who have been keeping up with the reports as they become available, but here's a basic Q&A on the subject:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_swine_flu_2042_16519.shtml

Offline marc11864

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2009, 05:28:13 pm »
WHO has now raised alert to level 4

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8021656.stm

Anyone not on Atripla have any dreams about the Dark Man yet?  ;)

Offline fearless

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2009, 07:50:25 pm »
We now have suspected cases in both Aus and NZ and they are waiting for test results to be delivered.

Unfortunately, as we are also entering winter down here (and had aour first cold snap over the weekend) it is the beginning of flu season anyway the potential for swine flu is adding to people's anxieties.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2009, 08:18:41 pm »
Death toll in Mexico went from 103 to 149 in just one day.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2009, 08:43:28 pm »
Ten people from a separate Auckland school trip to Mexico have tested positive for influenza A and are believed likely to have caught swine flu...but some swab results are still to be confirmed.

As Steve said we are heading into our flu season, I was unwell for about a week when I got back from my trip to Australia last month, had flu like symptoms but it never really got passed the head cold, runny nose and sore throat stage...had my flu jab a couple of weeks ago.

Stay safe.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2009, 09:45:39 pm »
Not that it allays fears, it's important to remember that seasonal flu results in more than 200,000 hospitalizations and 36,000 deaths annually in the U.S. -- it's not at all clear that swine flu will do any more damage than what we already see on a regular basis.

One idea that's being batted around is that young people -- at least in Mexico -- are more likely to experience serious complications stemming from H1N1 infection because their immune systems become hyperactive, causing their lungs to rapidly fill with fluid... much like what was during the 1918 flu pandemic (another human-animal hybird [H1N1] influenza infection). Those who are very young or very old might not experience such strong inflammatory response to the infection.  How people living with HIV might fit into this theory isn't clear. While it's possibly that some degree of HIV-related immune system dysfunction might blunt a hyperactive response to H1N1, I suppose it's also possible that an overabundance of immune activation -- which many researchers believe is what really drives HIV disease progression and the higher risk of non-AIDS complications we face) -- might work against us.

Personally, I take great comfort in knowing that, despite the increasing numbers of U.S. cases, virtually all reports have detailed mild-to-moderate symptoms of disease. Let's just hope the same holds true for people living with HIV, should our risk of exposure be solidified.

Tim Horn
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 09:53:34 pm by Tim Horn »

Offline positively_me

• love me...love my monkey
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2009, 10:18:39 pm »
I'd like some opinions on something...

I'm scheduled to take flight in mid May to the Northwest.  I've take this specific flight once before and at least half of the people on it came from Cabo San Lucas in Baja California.  They're stop over is in my city and then they continue on up north. I'm a little hesitant and nervous to take this flight now...I'm worried that sitting in an aluminum tube breathing recycled flight for 2 hours and 10 minutes isn't the brightest idea.  Especially with people who have spent time in various parts of Mexico.

What are your thoughts?  Would you be concerned/worried if you were me?
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2009, 10:24:59 pm »
There are three confirmed cases of swine flu in an elementary school in my town. They have closed the school for a week. There are mucho Mexicans here. Not surprising since it is Texas. Hopefully people will smarten up and stay home when they or their children are sick.

It would suck big time if I got sick. With my immune system being so shitty I'd hate to find out how it feels to have this kind of flu.

I'd be concerned Positively_me. A doc on the news said simple breathing masks like the white or blue ones are inaffective in keeping the virus from being breathed in. Look into masks that can block viruses maybe. People will stare like you have some cooties but who cares?

Offline marc11864

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2009, 10:45:05 pm »
I'd like some opinions on something...

I'm scheduled to take flight in mid May to the Northwest.  I've take this specific flight once before and at least half of the people on it came from Cabo San Lucas in Baja California.  They're stop over is in my city and then they continue on up north. I'm a little hesitant and nervous to take this flight now...I'm worried that sitting in an aluminum tube breathing recycled flight for 2 hours and 10 minutes isn't the brightest idea.  Especially with people who have spent time in various parts of Mexico.

What are your thoughts?  Would you be concerned/worried if you were me?

I'll be heading to Bangkok from here in Tucson at the end of May. I fully intend on wearing a filter throughout the entire flight.

Offline marc11864

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2009, 12:21:09 am »
A quote in sfgate from Laurie Garrett, a senior fellow in global health at the Council on Foreign Relations, notes that if it should mimic such a virus as the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic it, "hits people aged 14 to 35 hardest precisely because they have a robust immune system that overreacts to the virus. In the 1918 pandemic, people drowned in their own lung fluids. If this virus targets the young, then the elderly and others with weakened immune systems such as those with HIV or AIDS or undergoing chemotherapy would be less at risk."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/nov05election/detail?entry_id=39186

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2009, 07:22:42 am »
We now have suspected cases in both Aus and NZ and they are waiting for test results to be delivered.

Unfortunately, as we are also entering winter down here (and had aour first cold snap over the weekend) it is the beginning of flu season anyway the potential for swine flu is adding to people's anxieties.

I've been thinking about all you who live in the southern hemisphere and are going into your flu season. Keep washing your hands and buy some sanitizer! Don't want any of you getting this bug.

Hugs,
Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2009, 11:21:29 am »
I also just read this morning on AP that while deaths are still steady in Mexico, the amount of new cases is actually decreasing.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2009, 06:05:36 pm »
I also just read this morning on AP that while deaths are still steady in Mexico, the amount of new cases is actually decreasing.

That is such good news for the populous. Mexico has socialized health care. I heard a radio commentary (Rush L.) that the families of those that have died from this influenza have not been handed out any medications yet.  Hell, they are the ones most at risk.  Deplorable, if true.

Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2009, 06:42:14 pm »
Los Angeles Times

Reporting from Mexico City -- With the death toll climbing, Mexican authorities at the center of an international swine flu epidemic struggled Monday to piece together its lethal march, with attention focusing on a 4-year-old boy and a pig farm.

The boy, who survived the illness, has emerged as Mexico's earliest known case of the never-before-seen virus, Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova said Monday. It provides an important clue to the unique strain's path.

The boy lived near a pig farm run by a U.S.-Mexican company, Granjas Carroll, in the municipality of Perote, in Veracruz state on the Gulf of Mexico. He contracted the disease on April 2, Cordova said, one of a group of residents who came down with what was at the time labeled a particularly bad case of the flu.

Only one sample from the group, that belonging to the boy, was preserved. It was retested after other cases of the new strain were confirmed elsewhere in the country, Cordova said. The boy had the same disease. It is unknown how many more of the hundreds of people who fell sick in Perote also were infected by the strain.

In an ominous disclosure, officials said the first confirmed fatality of the disease, a 39-year-old woman from an impoverished state neighboring Veracruz, worked as a door-to-door census-taker and may have had contact with scores of people.

In Perote, residents of the hamlet known as La Gloria have complained since mid-March that contamination from the pig farm was tainting their water and causing respiratory infections. In one demonstration in early April, they carried signs with pictures of pigs crossed out with an X and the word "peligro" -- danger. Residents told reporters at the time that more than half the town's 3,000 inhabitants were sick and that three children under the age of 2 had died.

Local health officials mobilized when the outbreak was first reported, but they gave a different account: The infection may have started with a migrant farmer who returned from work in the U.S. and gave the disease to his wife, who in turn passed it on to other women in the community.

Granjas Carroll, which claims to be Mexico's leading pig farm at a million head a year, issued a statement Monday saying none of its employees had shown any signs of illness and noting that the sick are people who had no contact with its pigs. It is but one of numerous farms in the region.

The United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization announced Monday that it was sending a team of experts to inspect pig farms in Mexico. The agency's chief veterinary officer, Joseph Domenech, said the teams would attempt to determine whether the new strain was circulating among pigs and then trace linkage to human populations.

Offline fearless

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2009, 11:52:49 pm »
It has just been reported in our press that the WHO has stated that there have actually only been 7 known deaths from swine flu. http://www.smh.com.au/world/only-7-swine-flu-deaths-not-152-says-who-20090429-aml1.html

Sounds like a strom in a teacup that makes good news headlines, especially when you consider that the ordinary type A flu kills so many around the world each year (I think Tim noted 36,000 deaths from the ordinary flu in the US last year).

I guess it just makes sexier headlines when you can use terms like "Swine flu", and you can more easily beat up the story and induce anxiety, panic and fear into the populace.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2009, 12:56:20 am »
I might be willing to believe the reporting of the Sydney Morning Herald if Miss Allan's name even registered on Google-News at all, or show more than two blog hits.  Sounds like you're cherry picking your new articles to fit an omgevilnewsmedia agenda, Stevie.  The issue isn't the amount of people that die from known strains of influenza each year -- everyone knows this.  It's the fact that the current strain of swine flu represents an antigenic shift as opposed to the more normal antigenic drift.

But I would agree that thus far people outside of Mexico are over-reacting.  Just have to see how it plays out.  On the other hand an actual pandemic would hit a world in deep recession by a massive amount.

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2009, 01:23:41 am »
There are three confirmed cases of swine flu in an elementary school in my town. They have closed the school for a week. There are mucho Mexicans here. Not surprising since it is Texas. Hopefully people will smarten up and stay home when they or their children are sick.

It would suck big time if I got sick. With my immune system being so shitty I'd hate to find out how it feels to have this kind of flu.

I'd be concerned Positively_me. A doc on the news said simple breathing masks like the white or blue ones are inaffective in keeping the virus from being breathed in. Look into masks that can block viruses maybe. People will stare like you have some cooties but who cares?

Wendy,
I hadn't heard of this in the Metroplex Area yet. I was thinking that it was being over-hyped and trying to put it on ignore. Then, on Monday, I had to go pick up my Food Stamp card. I was there for an hour: my stifled paranoia reared it's ugly head and I found myself cowering in a far corner and trying to stay as far away as possible from everyone: especially their unruly children who were running rampant with runny noses:

...I am a magnet for children, for some reason, and I had to keep whispering in my most manly, authoratiative voice "go back to your mother and SIT down"  which: they did: for awhile.

I heard that not all masks are effective: you have to have the proper kind of mask for small particles/germs :-\
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline komnaes

« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2009, 07:06:35 am »
First death outside of Mexico has just been reported.. just heard it from the radio.

The patient was an infant girl in Texas. No detail yet...  :-\
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

smms

« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2009, 09:03:50 am »
Does anyone know if the antivirals used to treat Swine flu (Tamiflu and Relenza) would inter fear with the HIV medications?

I'm currently taking atripla.

Thanks 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2009, 09:27:56 am »
Does anyone know if the antivirals used to treat Swine flu (Tamiflu and Relenza) would inter fear with the HIV medications?

I'm currently taking atripla.

Thanks 

Didn't you read the thread? ???

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=26840.msg333314#msg333314

This question has already been asked and answered.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

smms

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2009, 09:58:30 am »
Didn't you read the thread? ???

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=26840.msg333314#msg333314

This question has already been asked and answered.

Ann

my apologies  :-[

Offline Netsurferdude

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2009, 10:51:21 am »

Don't know if this will bring some answers to everyone's questions but it is worth a read.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/29/Swine-Flu.aspx

Regards,

Paul.

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2009, 11:08:07 am »
Here is some information about masks from the CDC website, seeing as people keep mentioning them.

http://www.pandemicflu.gov/plan/community/maskguidancecommunity.html

What You Should Know about Using Facemasks and Respirators during a Flu Pandemic

This fact sheet provides information about the use of facemasks and respirators in public places during an influenza (flu) pandemic. It does not address the use of facemasks and respirators in the workplace or in healthcare settings.

Taking Protective Actions during a Flu Pandemic

A flu pandemic is an outbreak caused by a new flu virus that spreads around the world.  The virus will spread easily from person to person, mostly through coughing and sneezing. Because the virus is new to people, everyone will be at risk of getting it.

During a flu pandemic, you can use simple actions to help protect yourself and others from becoming sick with the flu. No single action protects completely. If used together, the steps below can help reduce the chances of becoming infected.

•Wash your hands often with soap and water. Use an alcohol-based hand cleaner if soap and water are not available.
•Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your arm when you cough and sneeze.
•Stay away from other people if you are ill.
•Avoid crowded places and large gatherings as much as possible.
There may be times during a pandemic when you must be in a crowded setting or in close contact (within 6 feet) with people who might be ill. During such times, the use of a facemask or a respirator might help prevent the spread of pandemic flu. 

Wearing a Facemask or a Respirator

Very little is known about the benefits of wearing facemasks and respirators to help control the spread of pandemic flu. In the absence of clear science, the steps below offer a “best estimate” to help guide decisions. They will be revised as new information becomes available.

Consider wearing a facemask if

•You are sick with the flu and think you might have close contact with other people.
•You live with someone who has the flu (you therefore might be in the early stages of infection) and need to be in a crowded place. Limit the amount of time you spend in these crowded places and wear a facemask while you are there.
•You are well and do not expect to be in close contact with a sick person but need to be in a crowded place.  Limit the amount of time you spend in these crowded places and wear a facemask while you are there.
Consider wearing a respirator if

•You are well and you expect to be in close contact with people who are known or thought to be sick with pandemic flu.  Limit the amount of time you are in close contact with these people and wear a respirator during this time. These recommendations apply if you must take care of a sick person at home.
What is a facemask?

Facemasks are loose-fitting, disposable masks that cover the nose and mouth. These include products labeled as surgical, dental, medical procedure, isolation, and laser masks.

Facemasks help stop droplets from being spread by the person wearing them. They also keep splashes or sprays from reaching the mouth and nose of the person wearing the facemask. They are not designed to protect you against breathing in very small particles. Facemasks should be used once and then thrown away in the trash.

What is a respirator?

A respirator (for example, an N95 or higher filtering facepiece respirator) is designed to protect you from breathing in very small particles, which might contain viruses. These types of respirators fit tightly to the face so that most air is inhaled through the filter material. To work the best way, N95 respirators must be specially fitted for each person who wears one (this is called “fit-testing” and is usually done in a workplace where respirators are used).  Most of the time, N95 respirators are used in construction and other jobs that involve dust and small particles. Some healthcare workers, such as nurses and doctors, use these types of respirators when taking care of patients with diseases that can be spread through the air.

If you have a heart or lung disease or other health condition, you may have trouble breathing through respirators and you should talk with your doctor before using a respirator.

Like surgical masks, N95 respirators should be worn only once and then thrown away in the trash.

Additional Information

Neither a facemask nor a respirator will give complete protection from the flu.  That is why it is important to wash your hands often, cover your coughs and sneezes with a handkerchief or your arm, and avoid crowds and gatherings during a pandemic. To learn more about these and other issues relating to pandemic influenza, visit www.pandemicflu.gov.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1]Unless otherwise specified, the term “facemasks” in this document refers to disposable masks cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use as medical devices. This includes facemasks labeled as surgical, dental, medical procedure, isolation, or laser masks.  Such facemasks have several designs.  One type is affixed to the head with two ties, conforms to the face with the aid of a flexible adjustment for the nose bridge, and may be flat/pleated or duck-billed in shape. Another type of facemask is pre-molded, adheres to the head with a single elastic band, and has a flexible adjustment for the nose bridge. A third type is flat/pleated and affixes to the head with ear loops. Facemasks cleared by FDA for use as medical devices have been determined to have specific levels of protection from penetration of blood and body fluids. 

[2]Unless otherwise specified, “respirator” in this document refers to an N95 or higher filtering facepiece respirator certified by the U.S. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).

[3]Three feet has often been used by infection control professionals to define close contact and is based on studies of respiratory infections; however, for practical purposes, this distance may range up to 6 feet. The World Health Organization defines close contact as “approximately 1 meter”; the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration uses “within 6 feet.”  For consistency with these estimates, this document defines close contact as a distance of up to approximately 6 feet.
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
03/10- stopped R/N/T
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2009, 04:11:23 pm »
***BREAKING*** WHO just raised the threat level to 5 meaning "Pandemic Imminent"

Offline marc11864

« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2009, 04:17:29 pm »
First death outside of Mexico has just been reported.. just heard it from the radio.

The patient was an infant girl in Texas. No detail yet...  :-\

What we've heard was that it was a 22 month old boy from Mexico who traveled to the US location of Brownsville, TX.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:22:18 pm by marc11864 »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2009, 04:23:21 pm »
Well I posted this in the swine flu and masks thread but it makes just as much sense here.

Gist:

Beware of Swine Flu!

But beware of "Media Events" as well!

________
The media seems to be latching onto this as a "media event".  Tamiful works against this virus. Dont thousands and thousands of people die during influenza breaks around the world every year? The media was making this out to be ebola. Caution and science should clarify the issue soon, we hope.

You know, conspiracy theorists said Roche had a secret hand in Bird Flu hysteria.

Roche is ready to sell you it's product, just give Basel a call.

http://www.saigon-gpdaily.com.vn/International/2009/4/70365/

Still, if I had anything to do with working in close contact with epicenters of this virus, and couldn't thus avoid such contact, I would get me some TAMIFLU and keep it close and handy.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Assurbanipal

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2009, 04:42:00 pm »
Sure, Roche does what it can to make the case for its products.  It would be odd if they did not.

And I agree that we shouldn't have hysteria over the potential for a pandemic.

But let's not lose sight of the fact that a true pandemic flu could cause 20 to 50 times the annual number of deaths that are due to seasonal flu.  It is a serious health hazard. And, like untreated HIV, pandemic flu often takes people in the prime of life, who otherwise would contribute many productive years to their families and communities.

Stopping a new pandemic flu in its tracks would be like stopping HIV before it spread. 

It's worth enduring a little media hype.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:39:20 pm by Assurbanipal »
2014 VL UD - 48

Offline mecch

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2009, 07:11:35 pm »
I just read the wiki article on "pandemic" flu. Very interesting.
Think I'll get that tamiflu pronto.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline fearless

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2009, 08:24:08 pm »
I might be willing to believe the reporting of the Sydney Morning Herald if Miss Allan's name even registered on Google-News at all, or show more than two blog hits.  Sounds like you're cherry picking your new articles to fit an omgevilnewsmedia agenda, Stevie.  The issue isn't the amount of people that die from known strains of influenza each year -- everyone knows this.  It's the fact that the current strain of swine flu represents an antigenic shift as opposed to the more normal antigenic drift.

But I would agree that thus far people outside of Mexico are over-reacting.  Just have to see how it plays out.  On the other hand an actual pandemic would hit a world in deep recession by a massive amount.

From the WHO: http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_29/en/index.html

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2009, 09:01:53 pm »
From the WHO: http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_29/en/index.html

key word: "confirmed" -- doesn't included suspected and your original link was purposely misleading and didn't state that.  Put the crack pipe down sweetie.

Also, there's something odd about referencing the WHO to validate your previous "strom in a teacup" comment when, in fact, they just raised the threat level five hours ago.  Sounds a bit like cognitive dissonance.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 09:09:30 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline marc11864

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2009, 09:34:58 pm »
I wonder if it might not be a good idea to post a locked thread near the top of the "Living With HIV" board that gives general info on HIV/Swine flu issues such as protective measures and med interactions including a link to the Check Your Meds location.

As fast as this thread seems to be rolling, many who are starting to panic (thank you media), might not have the inclination or patience to review every post in this thread and it might save redundancy in questions. We could then continue to use this thread for updated info as we get it.

Just a thought.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2009, 09:53:35 pm »
When people go to poz.com there's something on the front page at the top.  There's only so much you can do for ill informed panic-prone types.  If they're THAT panic'd I would assume that they'd have already made a call to their doctor's office.

Offline fearless

« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2009, 11:30:00 pm »
key word: "confirmed" -- doesn't included suspected and your original link was purposely misleading and didn't state that.  Put the crack pipe down sweetie.

Also, there's something odd about referencing the WHO to validate your previous "strom in a teacup" comment when, in fact, they just raised the threat level five hours ago.  Sounds a bit like cognitive dissonance.

Your just an offensive arsehole sometimes Philly. Why don't you get a life you shriveled up old queen.

I referenced WHO merely because you stated you did not believe the facts reported in the SMH. I'm sorry the facts sometimes get in the way of a good story.

Yes, WHO has raised the alert to a level 5 - and what does this mean exactly:

"Phase 5 is characterized by human-to-human spread of the virus into at least two countries in one WHO region. While most countries will not be affected at this stage, the declaration of Phase 5 is a strong signal that a pandemic is imminent and that the time to finalize the organization, communication, and implementation of the planned mitigation measures is short."

The way the media is carrying on where I live you would think that we are all in imminent danger of dying from swine flu.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2009, 11:56:59 pm »
Your just an offensive arsehole sometimes Philly. Why don't you get a life you shriveled up old queen.

I'm sorry that you feel that way.  Would you like a tissue?

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2009, 12:13:38 am »
Philly/Steve knock it off now, please don't let this go any further...you can debate and discuss without all the name calling.

Thanks
Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline marc11864

« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2009, 01:31:52 am »
When people go to poz.com there's something on the front page at the top.  There's only so much you can do for ill informed panic-prone types.  If they're THAT panic'd I would assume that they'd have already made a call to their doctor's office.

The suggestion was also in the interests of those of us who I suspect will tire quickly of having to repeat the same answer again and again. I think we are all becoming a bit on edge over the situation and I suspect that for the near future at least, it will continue to get worse.

Offline Robert

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2009, 02:04:29 am »

The US has seen 1 death.  159 deaths in Mexico. IT's spread to 9 countries. Harldy an epidemic much less a pandemic.

Sorry, I just don't understand the sense of urgency. 

Offline poz1970

« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2009, 02:44:52 am »

The US has seen 1 death.  159 deaths in Mexico. IT's spread to 9 countries. Harldy an epidemic much less a pandemic.

Sorry, I just don't understand the sense of urgency. 

agreed,

In Australia they're breaking into regular programming to report another person being tested.. Its a massive media hype, and to be honest... if it was going to really spread, they said the incubation period is 24-48 hours, so by now, the world would be flooded with cases.

Basically,  I think it comes down to paranoia and rapid response (may) have stopped this one from spreading and being a problem. 

Every hospital on the planet is at a heightened state of readiness for cases.

Only way it could be a problem now is if someone infected went to the movies and infected 1000 people...

J.
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline komnaes

« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2009, 03:22:03 am »
While I am definitely in the no-need-to-panic school of thought, I did witness first hand the devastating effect of SARS so I would rather the media be more vigilant in reporting than a complete denial, which was what the Chinese govt was doing.

In Hong Kong the government is going on an overdrive to implement old policies during SARS - cleaning the wet markets more regularly, punishing litterbugs, etc - which I am totally supporting.

And for us HIVers, it's good to keep reminding ourselves these personal hygiene essentials like washing hands, etc anyway. One less flu is always a good thing in my book, be in swine, bird, or whatever next (cat? dog?).
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline elf

« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2009, 03:54:19 am »
I'm kinda scared if this thing comes here...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 04:01:20 am by elf »

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2009, 08:08:19 am »
While it is obviously still early days, I found this piece in today's L.A. Times to be interesting in its clear-eyed efforts to contextualize what to expect from H1N1. Make no mistake, I do believe we all need to take this seriously and take necessary steps to protect ourselves -- but I do think it's necessary to be pragmatic and, well, optimistic.

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2009, 12:57:31 pm »
I'm not sweating it yet, although there have been two cases identified in my county; and one of them works at the local university medical center, where I have an appointment on Monday for lab work.   

It's a complex world

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2009, 01:21:25 pm »
Well, there has been two confirmed cases of swine flu in the state next to mine, and one suspected case in my state! The person in my state tested for untypable flu, which in most other cases turns out to be swine flu. I've already bought a box of masks just in case, and will by buying extra hand sanitizer and stocking up on food and water, etc. tonight. Better safe than sorry in my opinion. My doctor wouldn't write me a script for tamiflu ahead of time though, said it was ethical suspect because if other people needed it and I had the meds but wasn't sick... I just hope someone doesn't get to decide I'm expendable if it gets really bad.
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
03/10- stopped R/N/T
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

Offline thinkertwo

Swine Flu...Hypersensitive imune system and Cytokine Storm.....
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2009, 01:32:26 pm »
I know getting it is a long shot.  I also know that my immune system is hypersensitive since being on HAART.  It took a month of torture and many different treatment tries to get over Poison Ivy.  Docs said my immune system would eventually get tiered of fighting...It did a month later; it was torture...
That said I'm going to assume it would be worse for me than most to get this...

I'm also hearing about the Cytokine Storm as the cause of many healthy young people dying from new viruses (immune system is so strong, the body mounts such an attack that fluids rush to the lungs and the danger increases)...Do HIV Pos people have to worry about this more and use extra caution?  Also, has there ever been a concern that another virus in a pos person can mutate HIV to an air borne virus?

Offline Cliff

« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2009, 01:56:54 pm »
I'm so fucking sick of this pig flu crap!  One day the headlines is "Flu in the tube (subway)" only to read that it's just some jerk guessing that given the number of people riding the tube everyday, someone is bound to have had it. 

Now today they are reporting that 94,000 Londoners will die from this pandemic, only to read that this is based on 50% of the 12 million people in London catching the disease.  That's a bit of a stretch considering there are only 8 confirmed cases in the entire country and they were people who went to Mexico recently.  And all of them have mild symptoms!

People don't realise that this hysteria is costing people their jobs.  The travel/food industry is already getting rid of thousands of workers, add this hysteria to the mix and thousands more will be let go soon.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2009, 02:01:25 pm »
Thinker:

While it is possible that H1N1 induces "cytokine storm" in young, otherwise healthy individuals, there's no evidence to support this theory quickly gaining traction in the press. According to a document released by the CDC -- "Interim Guidance for Clinicians on Identifying and Caring for Patients with Swin-origin Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection" -- there is "insufficient information to date about clinical complications of this variant of swine-origin influenza A (H1N1) virus infection."

All we really know about H1N1-related deaths involve Mexican patients. And we know that death rates -- and reasons for death -- can vary considerably between affected countries during pandemics. Fact is, most deaths occur in the developing world, with different healthcare infrastructures, environmental factors, etc. Only with continued research -- and it's all just starting, really -- will we learn more about who is most at risk of infection and who is most at risk of serious disease and death. Until then, please take into consideration that basic hygiene helps protect against H1N1, that pharmacies are stocking up on Relenza and Tamiflu (should you ever need it -- there's no call for preventive treatment) and, most importantly, that the vast majority of people diagnosed with 2009 H1N1 seem to be experiencing nothing more than mild, treatable symptoms.

And I don't see how coinfection with H1N1 would somehow render HIV airborne. The viruses are as different as elephants and zebras -- I haven't heard anyone suggest, even remotely, that HIV and H1N1 can "reassort" (the way the four influenza strains were "mixed" in pigs to form 2009 H1N1) to render a more easily transmitted HIV "supervirus."

Tim Horn

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:08:29 pm by Tim Horn »

Offline veritas

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2009, 10:20:54 pm »

Wendy,
I hadn't heard of this in the Metroplex Area yet. I was thinking that it was being over-hyped and trying to put it on ignore. Then, on Monday, I had to go pick up my Food Stamp card. I was there for an hour: my stifled paranoia reared it's ugly head and I found myself cowering in a far corner and trying to stay as far away as possible from everyone: especially their unruly children who were running rampant with runny noses:

...I am a magnet for children, for some reason, and I had to keep whispering in my most manly, authoratiative voice "go back to your mother and SIT down"  which: they did: for awhile.

I heard that not all masks are effective: you have to have the proper kind of mask for small particles/germs :-\

With all the schools in Fort Worth closed there will be more of those buggers around. A little too close to home huh? They canceled Mayfest too. Not that I planned on going. LOL

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2009, 11:51:42 pm »
From a Doctor in my area....

I'm not agreeing either way with what he is saying here I am merely posting this for others to see, this story just ran tonight on the late news cast here in San Antonio ...In the meantime Im hanging out with my hand sanitizer and trying to avoid coughers until we know for sure weather this piggy-flu will die out or progress.

http://www.infowars.com/texas-doctor-claims-swine-flu-cases-far-worse-than-reported/

A copy of the actual email is availbale in the link, here is how the website paraphrases it...

Dr. Marcus Gitterle, an emergency medicine physician based out of New Braunfels, Texas, sent out an internal alert which contains several stunning claims about swine flu that, if true, officials have presumably sought to keep from the public.

“After I returned from a public health meeting yesterday with community leaders and school officials in Comal County and Hays County, (name removed) suggested I send an update to my patients in the area, because what we are hearing privately from the CDC and Health Department is different from what you are hearing in the media,” writes Gitterle.

The doctor claims that the actual number of confirmed cases of swine flu is 10 to 25 times worse than has been reported, and that people are not recovering easily, as has been claimed, but that many Americans are in fact seriously ill.

“The way they fudge on reporting this is that it takes 3 days to get the confirmatory nod from the CDC on a given viral culture, but based on epidemiological grounds, we know that there are more than 10 cases for each “confirmed” case right now,” claims Gitterle.

“This has not been in the media, but a 23 month old in Houston is fighting for his life, and a pregnant woman just south of San Antonio is fighting for her life,” he writes.

Gitterle’s mention of a “23 month old in Houston” obviously refers to the Mexican toddler who died on Monday night and was announced as the first U.S. fatality on Tuesday morning.

Quick access to drugs like Tamiflu and Relenza, as well as ventilators, is preventing fatalities on the scale of Mexico, but Gitterle warns that “within a couple of weeks, regional hospitals will likely become overwhelmed”.

Gitterle warns, “ER’s south of here are becoming overwhelmed — and I mean that — already. It is coming in waves, but the waves are getting bigger.”

The doctor states that the severity of the situation has already crossed the threshold of the definition of a WHO phase 6 pandemic. “This has not happened in any of our lifetimes so far. We are in uncharted territory,” he writes.

Gitterle claims that President Obama is being advised to declare a national emergency and that this could happen within the next 48 hours.

“This may not happen, but if it doesn’t, I will be surprised. When this happens, all public gathering will be cancelled for 10 days minimum,” writes the doctor.

Gitterle advises people to avoid all public gatherings, especially those held indoors, to avoid going to their ER if they feel ill, and to take the nutritional supplements N-Acetyl-Cysteine and Oscillococinum. He recommends Relenza as a more powerful drug than Tamiflu but warns that supplies of both drugs are running out fast.

The doctor states that swine flu is infectious for about two days prior to symptom onset and that the virus can spread for more than seven days after symptom onset. The symptoms are the same as normal flu, although it has been discovered that swine flu causes a distinctive “hoarseness” in many victims.

“Since it is such a novel (new) virus, there is no “herd immunity,” so the “attack rate” is very high. This is the percentage of people who come down with a virus if exposed. Almost everyone who is exposed to this virus will become infected, though not all will be symptomatic. That is much higher than seasonal flu, which averages 10-15%. The “clinical attack rate” estimation from CDC and WHO may be around 40-50%. This is the number of people who show symptoms. This is a huge number. It is hard to convey the seriousness of this to those outside of the medical fields,” he writes.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline moratorium79

« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2009, 03:16:12 am »
I'm not generally one to get all caught up in media blitz, but I have to admit I'm genuinely concerned about this.  There was a case confirmed in the county in which I live today, and I work in a hospital, where patients are sure to gather during their sickness.  Couple that with my current CD4 count and it makes for one nervous boy.

Wah.  Let's hope this gets under control, and soon!
*these are not times for the weak of heart*

Offline randym431

« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2009, 05:16:01 am »
Not to down play the flu news, but so far I think its 25% worry and 75% news hype.
Typically some 1300 die from flu alone every year. Old, young, etc.
I think we were all suppose to die from  Legionnaires' disease some years ago, then West Nile Virus a few years ago. When you consider how many die in car crashes every day, or 1300 a year from your basic everyday flu, I wouldn’t go getting stressed about the pig flu just yet.
The press and news media are going to play this every day as if we are all doomed.
I don’t feel doomed just yet. This is how papers and tv news media rack up the ratings.
Just consider the facts. One child in the US has died. And a few hundred in Mexico.
Many that have caught this flu have recovered.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 05:17:56 am by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2009, 05:28:52 am »
Here in the SF bay area there are several confirmed cases and many others pending. Many schools are closing due to these cases.

It is hitting very close to home. My bf was fairly sick the last few weeks, with sore throat/cold/cough symptoms. OTC meds didn't work. I finally convinced him to see a doc last sunday. I called Kaiser at 6:26pm and they told us to be there at 6:30 ! Because his CD4 were under 400, the doc (not our regular doc) ordered a chest xray, which came normal, but he had a mild fever, and due to the length of his symptoms the doc gave him some antibiotics which have helped.

This tuesday it was my turn to start feeling the pain. No fever of any kind so far, but by thursday my throat was so sore that I could barely even speak. I went to see my doc and I could barely tell him my symptoms. He just told me it was a very nasty cold virus, not flu, since I didn't have fever. Because it was only my 3rd day of feeling sick he didn't want to give me antibiotics, but just told me to stay home until monday with a codeine syrup, sudafed, and lots of fluids. I hope I will be better then, but I don't see this one going away by itself, when it gets this nasty usually it doesn't. At least I'm happy it's not the H1N1/swine flu.

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2009, 06:11:45 am »
From a Doctor in my area....

I'm not agreeing either way with what he is saying here I am merely posting this for others to see, this story just ran tonight on the late news cast here in San Antonio ...In the meantime Im hanging out with my hand sanitizer and trying to avoid coughers until we know for sure weather this piggy-flu will die out or progress.

http://www.infowars.com/texas-doctor-claims-swine-flu-cases-far-worse-than-reported/

A copy of the actual email is availbale in the link, here is how the website paraphrases it...

Dr. Marcus Gitterle, an emergency medicine physician based out of New Braunfels, Texas, sent out an internal alert which contains several stunning claims about swine flu that, if true, officials have presumably sought to keep from the public.

“After I returned from a public health meeting yesterday with community leaders and school officials in Comal County and Hays County, (name removed) suggested I send an update to my patients in the area, because what we are hearing privately from the CDC and Health Department is different from what you are hearing in the media,” writes Gitterle.

The doctor claims that the actual number of confirmed cases of swine flu is 10 to 25 times worse than has been reported, and that people are not recovering easily, as has been claimed, but that many Americans are in fact seriously ill.

“The way they fudge on reporting this is that it takes 3 days to get the confirmatory nod from the CDC on a given viral culture, but based on epidemiological grounds, we know that there are more than 10 cases for each “confirmed” case right now,” claims Gitterle.

“This has not been in the media, but a 23 month old in Houston is fighting for his life, and a pregnant woman just south of San Antonio is fighting for her life,” he writes.

Gitterle’s mention of a “23 month old in Houston” obviously refers to the Mexican toddler who died on Monday night and was announced as the first U.S. fatality on Tuesday morning.

Quick access to drugs like Tamiflu and Relenza, as well as ventilators, is preventing fatalities on the scale of Mexico, but Gitterle warns that “within a couple of weeks, regional hospitals will likely become overwhelmed”.

Gitterle warns, “ER’s south of here are becoming overwhelmed — and I mean that — already. It is coming in waves, but the waves are getting bigger.”

The doctor states that the severity of the situation has already crossed the threshold of the definition of a WHO phase 6 pandemic. “This has not happened in any of our lifetimes so far. We are in uncharted territory,” he writes.

Gitterle claims that President Obama is being advised to declare a national emergency and that this could happen within the next 48 hours.

“This may not happen, but if it doesn’t, I will be surprised. When this happens, all public gathering will be cancelled for 10 days minimum,” writes the doctor.

Gitterle advises people to avoid all public gatherings, especially those held indoors, to avoid going to their ER if they feel ill, and to take the nutritional supplements N-Acetyl-Cysteine and Oscillococinum. He recommends Relenza as a more powerful drug than Tamiflu but warns that supplies of both drugs are running out fast.

The doctor states that swine flu is infectious for about two days prior to symptom onset and that the virus can spread for more than seven days after symptom onset. The symptoms are the same as normal flu, although it has been discovered that swine flu causes a distinctive “hoarseness” in many victims.

“Since it is such a novel (new) virus, there is no “herd immunity,” so the “attack rate” is very high. This is the percentage of people who come down with a virus if exposed. Almost everyone who is exposed to this virus will become infected, though not all will be symptomatic. That is much higher than seasonal flu, which averages 10-15%. The “clinical attack rate” estimation from CDC and WHO may be around 40-50%. This is the number of people who show symptoms. This is a huge number. It is hard to convey the seriousness of this to those outside of the medical fields,” he writes.

Update, 8:12 p.m.: The following is a statement from dr. Marcus Gitterle sent to KSAT 12 News:

http://www.journal-post.com/2009/04/dr-marcus-gitterles-e-mail.html

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2009, 10:24:21 am »
Swine flu has arrived in Hong Kong, Shaun -- get out your masks leftover from SARS.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2009, 11:04:05 am »
Oh yeah... and tomorrow is the annual parade of the Bun Festival on our little island of Cheung Chau, thousands of tourists are expected.

Timely though, the Festival started when my ancestors were devastated by a plague some 200 years ago and the parade was an attempt to chase away evil spirits. I should start another thread about it, as I took some really nice photos 2 nights ago when during the first night of ceremony.

As for my masks, I have some leftovers but I am sure they have well expired. Need to steal some new ones from the office.. :D

Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2009, 11:11:03 am »

And, down here in Florida, 8, suspected cases have been referred to the CDC for further testing, one from Pinellas County :

Lab checking 8 suspected swine flu cases in Florida
Friday, May 1, 2009

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2009/5/1/467510.html?title=Lab+checking+8+suspected+swine+flu+cases+in+Florida

Over 100 schools around the U.S. have been closed due to swine flu fears. TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Florida's surgeon general says the state has now referred eight suspected cases of swine flu to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta for more testing.

Dr. Ana M. Viamonte Ros said Friday that the cases included three reported Thursday as well as five others. The state could hear back about the cases late in the afternoon or on the weekend. The cases are from Alachua, Orange, Lee, Broward, and Pinellas counties.

The state is working on setting up a hotline where citizens can call for more information as well as distributing masks and antiviral medication.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2009, 11:29:04 am »
We now have four cases just in Philadelphia, up from the first one about 24 hours ago.  Add in 10 at the University of Delaware and 5 in New Jersey and that's almost 20 in my immediate metro area. 

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2009, 04:57:13 pm »
Swine flu has arrived in Hong Kong, Shaun -- get out your masks leftover from SARS.

Wow, I feel so bad for giggling at that one Miss P :)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2009, 05:50:36 pm »

And it's official. Two cases confimed in Florida :

TALLAHASSEE (Bay News 9) -- Two cases of swine flu have been confirmed in the state of Florida through the Centers for Disease Control.

"We have our first two confirmed cases of the H1N1 virus in Florida," Gov. Charlie Crist announced at a news conference Friday afternoon. "They are located in Lee and Broward County. They involve two students."

One of the cases is an 11-year-old male who attends Spring Creek Elementary in Lee County.  The other is a 17-year-old female in Hallandale High School in Broward County.

Crist said it's up to the superintendents of those schools to decide on closures.

Florida's surgeon general says the state has now referred eight suspected cases of swine flu to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta for more testing.

Dr. Ana M. Viamonte Ros said Friday that the cases included three reported Thursday as well as five others. The state could hear back about the cases late in the afternoon or on the weekend. The suspected cases are in Alachua, Orange, Lee, Broward, Palm Beach and Pinellas counties.

Meanwhile, 20 suspected cases in Miami-Dade County were ruled out.

The state is working on setting up a hotline where citizens can call for more information as well as distributing masks and antiviral medication.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this article. 

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mjmel

« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2009, 11:48:42 pm »
Avoid this...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 11:50:20 pm by mjmel »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2009, 12:26:25 am »
... and also avoid this

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2009, 01:17:55 am »
... and also avoid this

Miss Philicia............is that you?
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Assurbanipal

2014 VL UD - 48

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2009, 03:36:38 pm »
Lower Mexico flu death toll calms nervous world

"Mexico cut its suspected death toll from the H1N1 flu to up to 101 from as many as 176, as dozens of test samples came back negative. Fewer patients with severe flu symptoms were also checking into hospitals, suggesting the infection rate of a flu that has spread to Europe and Asia was declining."

http://in.reuters.com/article/health/idINTRE5410TS20090502

Offline GuyInLA

« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2009, 04:24:02 pm »
HIV patients at higher risk from flu, WHO says 02 May 2009 11:53:21 GMT

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L2516414.htm
Infected - Early Dec 08
The "Flu" - 6 Jan 09
Diagnosed - 12 Mar 09
12 Mar 09 - VL 406,000   CD4 515 (no %)
31 Mar 09 - VL 322,520   CD4 605 (14.5%)
08 May 09 - Started Atripla
09 Jun 09  - VL 160  CD4 594 (27%)
10 Aug 09 - Switched to Prezista/Norvir/Truvada (Atripla drove me crazy)
1 Sept 09 - Undetectable
23 Dec 09 - Undetectable CD4 830 (36.1%)
17 Mar 10 - Undetectable CD4 1000+

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2009, 05:35:14 pm »
Thanks GuyinLA.

One thing I'd like to point out about the linked story:

HIV and the new flu strain could also mix together in a dangerous way, as has occurred with HIV and tuberculosis, the WHO said in guidance for health workers on its website.

This is misleading. Neither WHO nor the CDC say that H1N1 "mixes" with HIV in a dangerous way. Fact is, HIV cannot mix with an influenza virus, just like the virus can't mix with the bacteria that causes tuberculosis. What WHO and the CDC are warning is that complications of H1N1 may be worse in people living with HIV, only because they may have compromised immune systems and possibly at greater risk for secondary complications associated with the flu -- notably bacterial pneumonia. 

Truthfully, WHO could have worded its original statement a bit better. "Although there are inadequate data to predict the impact of a possible human influenza pandemic on HIV-affected populations, interactions between HIV/AIDS and A(H1N1) influenza could be significant" is, in itself, somewhat misleading.

Here's a link to the original WHO statement:

http://www.who.int/hiv/mediacentre/influenza_hiv.pdf

Offline Assurbanipal

« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2009, 06:03:54 pm »
More guidance from Washington

CDC Interim Guidelines on Swine Flu for HIV Infected Individuals

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance_HIV.htm

Most important may be the suggestion that HIV infected individuals with "... typical acute respiratory illness (e.g., cough, sore throat, rhinorrhea) and fever or feverishness, headache, and muscle aches" get tested to see if they have swine flu.  If so, they should start Tamiflu or Relenza within 48 hours of reporting symptoms. 

FDA and FTC Issue Fraud Alert

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Federal Trade Commission are alerting the public to be wary of Internet sites and other promotions for products that claim to diagnose, prevent, mitigate, treat or cure the 2009 H1N1 influenza virus.  The agencies are also advising operators of offending web sites that they must take prompt action to correct and/or remove promotions of these fraudulent products or face enforcement action.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2009/NEW02007.html
2014 VL UD - 48

Offline elf

« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2009, 04:24:32 am »
Here all Tamiflu is sold out, and I didn't get to buy my dose.  :'(

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2009, 07:12:57 am »
Live your life, this is all over blown, for now. It's next fall-winter that may be a problem!  :(
Positive since 1985

Offline mecch

« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2009, 01:25:37 pm »
Re, last poster:

Anderson Cooper had an airline AIR SAFETY specialist on the show who explained that airplane air is generally not a cesspool of germs.

Ventilation goes cross wise, not the length of the plane, so there are different zone and different filters.

Air is filters 10x an hour, but unfortunately not all airlines use the best filters or any filter at all.

Recommended to put the air blower thing on, blowing fresh air onto your face, because this stream will help prevent any droplets that might be in the air from a nearby cough or sneeze.

Wash your hands, bring hand sanitizer, do not put your hands on your face or mouth unless they are sanitized.

Otherwise, the expert said airplane travel does not necessarily spread germs.

It was a kind of unpersuasive and uncomforting report.  I think you believe what you want, common sense would say its not a great idea....

Offline mecch

« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2009, 01:30:02 pm »
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Federal Trade Commission are alerting the public to be wary of Internet sites and other promotions for products that claim to diagnose, prevent, mitigate, treat or cure the 2009 H1N1 influenza virus.  The agencies are also advising operators of offending web sites that they must take prompt action to correct and/or remove promotions of these fraudulent products or face enforcement action.

Shameless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt8pi-SE7FY
Cher & Tina Turner - Shame, Shame, Shame

Offline Assurbanipal

« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2009, 02:28:24 pm »
Mexico lowers alert level -- to reopen most businesses on Wednesday.

"MEXICO CITY — Citing an ebb in the number of swine flu cases, Mexican officials said Monday that they would lower the public alert against the virus and allow most of the nation’s businesses to reopen this week, even as the outbreak, which appears to have started in Mexico, continued its spread worldwide.

In Mexico City, where most of the nation’s 26 deaths from the virus and more than 700 infections have been recorded, restaurants and other eateries will reopen on Wednesday. Churches and museums will reopen Thursday, but bars, nightclubs, cinemas and theaters will remain closed until further notice, The Associated Press reported."

full story  http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/05/health/05flu.htm
2014 VL UD - 48

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2009, 04:12:41 am »
Otherwise, the expert said airplane travel does not necessarily spread germs.

It was a kind of unpersuasive and uncomforting report.  I think you believe what you want, common sense would say its not a great idea....

A few years ago, I had one of those really bad colds hit me towards the end of a trip to Europe. Colds tend to linger with me as they have my whole life. My return ticket to California was non-refundable. I didn't have trip insurance and the doctor wouldn't write me off for a cold anyway. Getting a new ticket for another day on short notice could have cost several thousand dollars. So, I boarded the plane and had the worst 12-hour journey of my life. I used over 100 tissues during that time and I probably didn't have 5 minutes without sneezing. The plane was full, of course. I don't think you would have wanted to be on the same one ! Now, I try to purchase trip insurance ahead of time whenever I fly.

Speaking of cold, I have now been grounded at home for one week, except for seeing the doc last thursday. I ran a fever shortly over the weekend. I still can barely speak. My doc called me at home monday night and said there was nothing else for me to do but wait more for it to go away on its own :(.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2009, 11:36:42 am »
This looks like another case of WHO not "carefully" wording their statements..

http://www.examiner.com/x-8543-SF-Health-News-Examiner~y2009m5d4-WHO-head-Chan-Swine-flu-combined-with-HIV-poses-serious-threat

If articles such as these hit the mainstream media it could create a huge backlash for those of us with HIV. As I read it it insinuates that Swine Flu could come back in the fall as an extremely virulent form and could potentially mutate and combine with the HIv virus, which implies that the HIv virus could be spread with the flu.

"The genetic building blocks of the swine flu virus come from pigs, humans and birds. Scientists believe that the virus mutated into its present version in pigs which may have been exposed to an avian version of the flu, which then mutated into its present form. Disease experts are especially concerned that the ability to mutate seen so far in the virus could eventually see it combine with the human immunodeficiency virus, which causes AIDS"

I doubt this is possible, however I wish there was a definitive answer on this, and I wish WHO and related news organizations would cease with these inflammatory statements.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mecch

« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2009, 06:11:08 pm »
So that would be communicable HIV?  From sneezing and coughing and touching your fingers to your eyes?

And would HAART protect me from this?

Geez louise, this is just a horrendous thought.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2009, 05:56:19 am »
This looks like another case of WHO not "carefully" wording their statements..

If articles such as these hit the mainstream media it could create a huge backlash for those of us with HIV. As I read it it insinuates that Swine Flu could come back in the fall as an extremely virulent form and could potentially mutate and combine with the HIv virus, which implies that the HIv virus could be spread with the flu.

Problem is, articles such as this have already hit the mainstream media. First there was the Reuters report linked above, followed by an even more alarming (and outrageous) piece by UPI -- two mainstream news agencies.  Fact is, they just don't get it and have royally misconstrued the WHO recommendations and Margaret Chan's statements.

Nobody has said that H1N1 can reassort with HIV. They are structurally different viruses, belonging to completely different virus families and infect different cells. Reuters, UPI and the Examiner simply got it wrong, period, and should be ashamed of themselves. In some ways many of these news reports are like viruses themselves, one reports and error and it is forever replicated.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_swine_flu_2042_16519.shtml

Tim Horn

Offline veritas

« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2009, 05:22:32 am »

WHO warns of severe form of swine flu.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090828/hl_nm/us_flu_pandemic

"Data continue to show that certain medical conditions increase the risk of severe and fatal illness. These include respiratory disease, notably asthma, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and immunosuppression," WHO said.

v

Offline loop78

« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2009, 06:43:41 am »
Fresh from the WHO webpage:

Co-infection with HIV

The 2009 influenza pandemic is the first to occur since the emergence of HIV/AIDS. Early data from two countries suggest that people co-infected with H1N1 and HIV are not at increased risk of severe or fatal illness, provided these patients are receiving antiretroviral therapy. In most of these patients, illness caused by H1N1 has been mild, with full recovery.

If these preliminary findings are confirmed, this will be reassuring news for countries where infection with HIV is prevalent and treatment coverage with antiretroviral drugs is good.

On current estimates, around 33 million people are living with HIV/AIDS worldwide. Of these, WHO estimates that around 4 million were receiving antiretroviral therapy at the end of 2008.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2009, 07:44:36 am »
Early data from two countries suggest that people co-infected with H1N1 and HIV are not at increased risk of severe or fatal illness, provided these patients are receiving antiretroviral therapy.

Crikey, nice of them to drop that little bomb-shell on those of us who are treatment-naive without saying anything more about it. Have people who are not on therapy been dying or becoming seriously ill? Is there any correlation with CD4 counts or VL levels? I hate it when they tell half a story.  >:(
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 07:47:31 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Assurbanipal

« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2009, 08:08:13 am »
Early data from two countries suggest that people co-infected with H1N1 and HIV are not at increased risk of severe or fatal illness, provided these patients are receiving antiretroviral therapy.

Crikey, nice of them to drop that little bomb-shell on those of us who are treatment-naive without saying anything more about it. Have people who are not on therapy been dying or becoming seriously ill? Is there any correlation with CD4 counts or VL levels? I hate it when they tell half a story.  >:(

Earlier in the press release they are more specific about groups at risk and saying that it includes people who are immunosuppressed -- so read in conjunction with the statement about people with HIV presumably the concern is largely for people with low tcell counts as opposed to those who are still pretty healthy and not yet on treatment.

And that would be consistent with the news that has been coming out all summer.

"Vulnerable groups
An increased risk during pregnancy is now consistently well-documented across countries. This risk takes on added significance for a virus, like this one, that preferentially infects younger people.

Data continue to show that certain medical conditions increase the risk of severe and fatal illness. These include respiratory disease, notably asthma, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and immunosuppression.

When anticipating the impact of the pandemic as more people become infected, health officials need to be aware that many of these predisposing conditions have become much more widespread in recent decades, thus increasing the pool of vulnerable people.

Obesity, which is frequently present in severe and fatal cases, is now a global epidemic. WHO estimates that, worldwide, more than 230 million people suffer from asthma, and more than 220 million people have diabetes.

Moreover, conditions such as asthma and diabetes are not usually considered killer diseases, especially in children and young adults. Young deaths from such conditions, precipitated by infection with the H1N1 virus, can be another dimension of the pandemic’s impact."

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/notes/h1n1_second_wave_20090828/en/index.html

edited (for bolding)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:11:50 am by Assurbanipal »
2014 VL UD - 48

Offline veritas

« Reply #124 on: August 29, 2009, 08:38:04 am »

loop78,

In the link I posted they said the same:

"The good news -- people infected with AIDS virus do not seem to be at special risk from H1N1, WHO said"

What concerns me here is not the risk per se since it makes sense that everyone living with HIV has about the same risk as everyone else in contracting the flu, but rather the severity of the strain. All of us should and must try to do all we can to minimize our threat (ie: wash your hands  often, get vaccinated etc.). I would imagine that cd4's would be hard pressed to keep up the fight which brings me to Ann's questions. Ann, I don't think they have the answers yet to those questions.
This  flu is something all of us should watch closely. If this flu hits the way they think, it may be very difficult even to get into a hospital.

v

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2009, 09:06:48 am »

Earlier in the press release they are more specific about groups at risk and saying that it includes people who are immunosuppressed -- so read in conjunction with the statement about people with HIV presumably the concern is largely for people with low tcell counts as opposed to those who are still pretty healthy and not yet on treatment.

Fair enough, but I'd still like to see some figures on what CD4 and VL levels are problematic. Probably me being paranoid and asking too much as well. ::)

l
 Ann, I don't think they have the answers yet to those questions.

This  flu is something all of us should watch closely. If this flu hits the way they think, it may be very difficult even to get into a hospital.

LOL yes, you posted while I was attaching the chart below. As I said, I'm probably asking too much.

As for getting in to a hospital, here where I live they are asking people who think they might have it to stay away from doctor's offices and hospitals as well. You have to ring a number and talk to someone who decides if you need meds or not.

A poz friend of mine had swine flu and she felt horrible for about five days, then it went. She's on ARVs has been undetectable for years and she's also got more CD4s than you could shake a stick at. Around 900 last time we compared notes.

On another note, I went to the http://www.hiv-druginteractions.org/ site to over a question in another thread and found they have a chart available for interactions between hiv meds and anti-viral flu meds - Oseltamivir (Tamiflu), Zanamivir (Relenza), Amantadine (Symmetrel) and Rimantadine (Flumadine). Might be worth checking out for those of you on meds. I've attached it below (if it works! it didn't! too large!). You'll have to visit the site yourself to see it - it's on the main page.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #126 on: August 29, 2009, 09:48:37 am »
Ann, thanks for the link to the chart.  Looks like there are a couple of flu meds I should watch out for.
It's a complex world

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #127 on: August 29, 2009, 02:43:22 pm »
I actually have 1/2 a dozen surgical masks lying around, which I'll use this Fall if needed.  I know it may sound like I'm overreacting but I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially since up to 1/2 the U.S. could theoretically become infected.  Unfortunately, I remember reading they're actually not super effective but they are the masks they gave my visitors when I was in the TB ward last April. 

I get my flu vaccine in two weeks but I hear the H1N1 vaccine won't be ready in the U.S. until mid-October.

Offline veritas

« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2009, 03:07:53 pm »
GNYC09,

Good move with the masks. However, I believe also that ordinary surgical masks won't prevent biological particles from entering one's body unless they have at least an OSHA rating of at least N95 approved. I believe masks with that high a rating can be found in Lowes stores. I'm looking for the link which I can't seem to find at the moment but if I come across it I will post.
The masks however will not stop biologics from entering your body through other means (ie: eyes, cuts etc.).

v
ps: found the link:
http://www.masksnmore.com/n95-medical-masks1.html
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 03:18:51 pm by veritas »

Offline bocker3

« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2009, 05:10:29 pm »
Masks are probably better for folks who have the flu than those that don't.  You are far more likely to catch the flu via self-innoculation (i.e. touch a contaminated surface and then touching your eyes, nose or mouth) than from breathing in the virus.  Of course, a mask would certainly help you NOT touch your mouth or nose -- it is amazing how frequently one DOES touch your face during the course of a day.

I'm not sure that anyone has yet determined why this flu virus seems to be "tougher" on the youger folks, but I do know that they think one reason the 1918 flu was so tough on the youger was due to an over-reaction by the immune system.  So in 1918, the stronger your immune system, the more risk you faced......

Mike

Offline veritas

« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2009, 06:50:05 pm »

Mike,

I think your referring to the possibility of Cytokine storm - scary stuff:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-cytokine-storm.htm

v

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2009, 08:17:14 pm »
too bad about the surgical masks not working as well as hoped :-\
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:18:55 pm by GNYC09 »

Offline havetohavefaith

« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2009, 10:29:19 pm »
Swine flu officially hit our home.

it is running pretty rampant where we live ( 20+ cases JUST in the middle school)

3 of my kids got it, as did myself and husband ( he is HIV+)
we all got pretty sick, and still feeling the effects of it ( aches and caugh)
But the Dr. told us he was more concerned for myself and daughter ( both having asthma) than he was for my husband. I'am just happy we all seemed to be on the mend.

My question is and I'am going to ask at our follow up....but what are the chances of getting it again??
with our house hold and 6 of the kids in school, it seems like whenever we get sick be it the flu,stomach bug ect....it always recycles itself I'am afraid the kids will bring it back home again come the fall months?? or once you get it you are immune from it??

Husband diagnosed 3/30/08
on Atripla
 8/07/09 Vl undetectable/ CD4 304

Offline Stone

« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2009, 03:41:36 am »
Hi all!  Not sure if I am allowed to post in here so please let me know if I am out of line.  Also don't know if this will be helpful but because I am an ER nurse I have a little inside info on this topic.  Disclaimer:  I am not functioning as nurse here nor should anything stated here be used in place of your healthcare providers advice / direction.

Here goes:

1) Last spring when media coverage was heavy, we had an major influx of the "walking worried" patients.  Two or three patients actually turned out positive for H1N1, all were discharged home, and all recovered without intervention

2) In late May / June media coverage backed off, rapid flu testing was halted (it is no longer effective that late in the season), and the threat levels were lowered.  We were SLAMMED with young patients who had high temps, coughs, congestion, etc and were presumed positive.  To give you an idea, our ER is budgeted / staffed for an average daily patient load in the 130 range.  During this period we were seeing 160 - 180.  The media did not report this and most of the general population did not know about the amount of flu that was out there thus no special precautions were taken.  Despite this, there were no deaths attributed directly to the flu.  I mention this not to say you shouldn't be cautious, but don't panic. 

3) Don't go to the ER expecting Tamiflu or Releflu just because you were exposed to someone that was positive for H1N1.  If you are having symptoms, certainly get seen right away (meds work better the sooner they are started) but if you aren't having symptoms your chances of success will be slim.    This has nothing to do with deciding that some people are expendable as has been mentioned in this thread.  The problem is that if taken when not actually needed, the meds may not work as well when they ARE needed.  Also, it is a supply issue.  There will be a shortage even with conservative use so the supplies must be used carefully to ensure that people who acquire the virus can be treated.  I have been exposed to multiple people and have yet to be treated.

4) An N95 mask is the only mask that will be effective at preventing transmission.  That being said, if not put on and removed correctly you stand a high chance of infecting yourself and actually increase your risk.  The mask should only be used once and thrown.  There is a projected shortage of these masks coming as well so if you are planning on using them, you may want to pick some up now.

Offline veritas

« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2009, 05:24:42 am »

stormynd,

Good advice!

Thanks for posting.

v

Offline GodSon83

• El hijo del capitán Trueno tenía pinta de raro
« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2009, 07:45:28 am »
I think that the difference here is that there is human to human infections happening -- not simply animal to human as in the vast majority of the "bird flu" cases the last few years.  A pandemic isn't going to happen without human to human infection. 

While I think it is too soon to panic, it is certainly time to take precautions -- i.e. handwashing, etc.

Interesting, my brother has been in the hospital for a week now (he is in RI) with what has finally been diagnosed as pneumonia and influenza.  He's a healthy 42 year old with no history of respitory issues.  He's had a VERY hard time of it -- finally getting better, but spent a day in ICU because his blood oxygen levels were dangerously low.  I don't think he's been in Mexico lately, but he does like to vacation there......

Mike

I don´t think the problem is to vacation in Mexico,
i think the problem is the virus,
it could starts in which ever other country like Sri Lanka or why not, the Us,
the certain thing here, is to keep us safe,
be intelligent like in others virus cases,
just because HIV starts in Africa, you will not travel to Africa???  ???

well, hugs,
hope im not hearing mad- :P
Xo-Xo
Jun 08  - (-)
Jul 08   - (+)
Dic 08 - CD4:921
May 09- CD4: 1,025   CV: 8,233
Dic 09 - CD4:    911   CV: 5,160
May 10- CD4: 1,054  CV: 6,510
Sep 10- CD4:     923  CV: 1,832
Mar 11- CD4:     508  CV:  1,489
Jul   11- CD4:  1,064  CV:    558
Nov 11- CD4:  1,945  CV:    795
Abr  12- CD4:    859  CV:    401  ´Still no meds´

I like i feel! :)

Offline bocker3

« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2009, 09:29:17 am »
I don´t think the problem is to vacation in Mexico,
i think the problem is the virus,
it could starts in which ever other country like Sri Lanka or why not, the Us,
the certain thing here, is to keep us safe,
be intelligent like in others virus cases,
just because HIV starts in Africa, you will not travel to Africa???  ???

well, hugs,
hope im not hearing mad- :P

I agree with you -- but take a look at the date of the post that you quoted -- it was back in April.  At that time, the epicenter of this outbreak SEEMED to be Mexico.  It was not yet widely reported in the US and the fact that my brother had NOT been to Mexico seemed noteworthy.  I was NOT trying say the problem was Mexico.  My education is in healthcare, so I don't need to told that it is a virus and not a country that causes the flu.  You really ought to be less sensitive.
To give you more context -- in another thread, I point out that, in fact, my brother was subsequently diagnosed with PCP and through this discovered that he too is HIV positive.

Mike
(who will be in Mexico in October -- I am not afraid to travel to Mexico)

Offline veritas

« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2009, 04:51:05 am »

Offline veritas

« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2009, 08:28:20 am »

Offline Assurbanipal

« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2009, 10:38:08 am »
Fair enough, but I'd still like to see some figures on what CD4 and VL levels are problematic. Probably me being paranoid and asking too much as well. ::)

Ann

For what it is worth, The Body just updated their interview with Joel Gallant (not sure about the effectiveness of updating an interview that refers to current events and leaving in old stuff, but ...   ???)

He didn't quote any hard numbers but had this to say about CD4 levels:
"I think that the people who should be most concerned are people with very low CD4 counts. People with higher CD4 counts should probably have the same level of concern that anyone else would have."

and, talking about what level of immunosuppression mattered

"... we can treat the immunodeficiency of HIV. If people are on treatment and have a decent CD4 count, they are probably not at significantly greater risk, in comparison with somebody who has a chronic immunodeficiency that is not treatable."

http://www.thebody.com/content/treat/art53187.html?ic=700100

A

2014 VL UD - 48

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.