Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:15:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 304
Total: 307

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Advice Help please?! young mother in DISTRESS!  (Read 2034 times)

Offline ebaby125

Advice Help please?! young mother in DISTRESS!
« on: January 20, 2012, 07:59:58 pm »
Okay... so basically i am just going to get to the point... I am 22 years old and im female... in the past year i have been fighting addiction to opiates... i did use IV... and i also have unprotected sex.... i was tested about 6 months ago and i was negative but after that i just went crazy again on drugs and i did somethings i am not proud of... okay i know i could have contracted HIV in those ways. but one of my questions is could i get HIV from giving head and swallowing someones semen who has HIV!? and my second question is maybe getting some info on how a lot people felt with their first symtoms?! i think i am super paranoid about having it... I have been super tired but i am also on medication that could be causing it? i havent have swollen lymph nodes or a sore throat... i havent had a rash.. or any yeast infections but i have been getting like hot flashes.. but no night sweats... and i have had sum headaches here and there. i think i worry so i dont really feel good ever and it is always on my mind.. i mean i know there is a possibility i have it because of my past. i have two small children and i am scared to death of a positive result.. my children dont have a father and im scared i will be here for their lifes... If i am HIV positive.. i wanted to kno how the medications work? do they make u feel better? less symptoms!? i would have had to contract HIV about 2 1/2 months ago when i went on another drug run for a week. thats the only time i could have contracted it.. so how i been having symptoms still!? IM TOTALLY A MESS I THINK ABOUT IT ALL THE TIME AND I KNO I NEED TO BE TESTED BUT I FEEL LIKE IF I KNOW THAT I JUST DIE!? please someone just tell me something?!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Advice Help please?! young mother in DISTRESS!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 07:24:17 am »
ebaby,

For a start, forget about worrying about symptoms or even the lack of symptoms. Neither will tell you a single thing about your hiv status - ONLY testing at the appropriate time will.

Sexually speaking, the only proven risks are unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. Unless you have horrible oral health (think meth-mouth), stop worrying about oral.

The other risk adults need to worry about is sharing needles. You need to know that if you have ever shared drug injecting equipment, you have also been at risk for hep C infection. Hep C is much more easily transmitted than hiv and can be transmitted even if you're only sharing filters, spoons, a water source and/or tie-offs.

If you've shared any drug injecting equipment - even if it was only once - you need to test for BOTH hiv and hep C. You are far more likely to have been infected with hep C than hiv if you've been sharing injecting equipment.

You do need to test at three months past your last incident of unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse or incident of sharing drug injecting equipment for a conclusive result. This goes for both hiv and hep C.

The earliest you should test for hiv is at six weeks past your last risky incident. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point, but is highly unlikely to change. 

If you are hiv positive, you need to know sooner rather than later if you want to be here and be healthy for your children. People who have been recently infected and diagnosed today are expected to live a normal life-span. The treatment of hiv has vastly improved in the past ten years and many of the modern meds have little or even NO side-effects. Hiv is no longer a death sentence - particularly when diagnosis is made in a timely fashion.

If you wait to test until hiv has been present for years, you may have a very rocky road back to health. If you test before hiv has had much of a chance to damage your immune system, you will be in a position to preserve your health and live a full life. Early diagnosis will enable you to applaud at your children's graduations and dance at their weddings. If you wait until you're very ill, all bets are off.

Early testing and diagnosis of hep C will also put you in a position to preserve your heath. Late diagnosis of hep C also has a much poorer prognosis, just like hiv.

Yes, it's as stark and simple as that. Early testing saves lives and it will save yours too should you test positive.

Go test. It's the smart thing to do.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ebaby125

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 02:47:42 pm »
Thanks Ann, i know i just need to go ahead and get testing done. I am going to go this coming week.. how long does it usually take for results?!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 05:43:41 am »
ebaby,

Rapid tests can give you a result in a half hour or less. While there is now a rapid hep C test available, it is not yet in use everywhere. You will simply have to ask at the clinic where you have your testing done about their turn-around time and what type of tests they have available.

Non-rapid hiv testing can take anywhere from 24 hours to two weeks for the results to come back and the same goes for non-rapid hep C testing. Again, you'll have to ask at the place you go to about their usual time-frame for results.

You can find a testing center near you by putting your zip code into POZ.com's Health Services Directory.

Please do not forget to also test for hep C if you have ever shared any items of drug injecting equipment, even if it was only a spoon, or filter, or a cup or cap of water.

Good luck.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.