Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:14:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 348
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dry mouth  (Read 5776 times)

Offline bobik

• My worksite
Dry mouth
« on: September 27, 2006, 03:33:43 am »
Hello everyone,

could a very dry mouth be medicationrelated? I am on Reyataz/Norvir; Videx; Viread; Epivir.

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Dry mouth
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 04:49:50 am »
Yep, any or all of the meds possibly.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 06:39:40 am »
I think I recall having dry mouth when I was taking Videx.  Just remember to hydrate yourself properly (with water... not soda, tea, etc... ).
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline Just John

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 10:15:44 am »
Hi Coen, like you I'm on Viread and Epivir, but also with Viramune and have a constantly dry mouth and throat which my Doc says is down to the medication. The only advice he gave me was to take lots of water throughout the day and use a general mouthwash twice a day. I find mine is much worse at night for some reason, it seems like just one of those things we have to put up with but it may be worth mentioning it to your Doc on your next visit to see if he can suggest anything else which might help.

John.
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 10:24:06 am »
I wish I could figure out which medication it is: I am a singer and with a dry mouth and throat it is not nice singing. I remember being completely dried out from Crixivan, dry skin etc. But that did not affect my mouth. Really annoying, and it is new for me, I am on these meds for 2 years already!

Thanks for your reactions everybody?

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 11:57:14 am »
My dentist gave me a gum specifically for a dry mouth problem. It is amazing how easily chewing the gum creates sufficient amounts of saliva.
Dry mouth is a serious problem because it helps to promote tooth decay and gum disease.

Any drug store/pharmacy carries it.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 01:15:44 pm »
Coen, despite I drink two large glasses of water with my meds (almost one litre of water) I wake up really thirsty.
My father suffers from dry mouth after his radiotherapy for his tongue and throat cancer. He uses "xerostom" or "biotene". Both brands have mouthwash, bioadhesive gels and toothpaste. They contain all the enzymes in the saliva.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 03:11:29 pm »
Hello Coen,

Some medications can cause dry mouth. Does not necessarily have to be HIV meds either. I am on Viramune, Epzicom, and  Viread, and I did have a little problem in the very begginning, after starting HAART. I do not have that problem now.

Just a suggestion, if you use mouth wash regularly, try to avoid those mouthwashes that have alcohol content !! This was also recommended by my dentist a long time ago. Stick with those mouthwashes, that use natural enzymes, and are alcohol free.

Take care------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Eldon

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 10:31:06 pm »
Hi Coen,

Here is a write-up on "Dry Mouth" I thought that this may be useful to you:

http://www.umanitoba.ca/outreach/wisdomtooth/drymouth.htm

Also, yes meds to have some sort of relation to this.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 05:46:21 pm »
Again, thanks all of you for the information. I'll talk about it with my doc, see what he thinks. The problem with chewing gum is that I can't use it while singing. The funny thing is it isn't all the time. In the morning it is worst and late in the evening. Strange.

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 05:50:33 pm »
Coen,

Just a reminder; you should be drinking at least 3 to 4 liters a day of pure, unadulterated water.  If you think you mouth is dry, you should see your inside glands.  We must drink loads of water, as the medications and the virus itself cause the body to not retain liquid very well. 

Please drink more water, it is simple, and very effective. 

In Love.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 06:00:29 pm »

The strange thing about the gum is that it gets your saliva going then you spit it out. It’s not something you have to use 24/7. It is practically tasteless also. I have permanent bridgework in my mouth, which my dentist thought of before suggesting my using it.

;D

Offline whizzer

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 06:19:51 pm »
Chewing gum for dry mouth:

http://www.laclede.com/products/gum.asp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.