Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:53:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 519
Total: 521

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: April 28th - US - Webinar on Social Isolation Among LTS.  (Read 5959 times)

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
April 28th - US - Webinar on Social Isolation Among LTS.
« on: April 21, 2022, 04:48:11 pm »
https://www.poz.com/blog/join-webinar-social-isolation

The Reunion Project, a national network of long-term HIV/AIDS survivors, is producing a webinar, “Making the Connection: Long-Term Survivors Discuss Loneliness and Isolation,” set for 7pm ET on Thursday, April 28th. You can register for free right here. https://www.poz.com/blog/join-webinar-social-isolation

The one-hour webinar will feature two long-term survivors, Gina Brown and Arriana Lint, discussing their lived experience with social isolation, and therapist David Fawcett, Ph.D., offering clinical perspective and advice.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: April 28th - US - Webinar on Social Isolation Among LTS.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 01:08:44 pm »
Dump.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 06:38:26 pm »
ugh. I haven't let my husband see this because he would make me sit in on this webinar.

We just got back from visiting his mom and family way over in Arizona (2061 miles from our house!). By all the teasing I got from the in-laws I had to assume that my snitch of a spouse had been telling tales about my stay-at-home-itis. But it wasn't even just them. Some of our best friends back home in South Carolina replied on some of my Facebook pix about how surprised they were that I was somewhere else besides home. I swear I really do get out all the time (the gym, stores, friends, family, etc) but even I do have to fess up that I stay at home whenever I can.

sigh. people just don't get how sick I was for how long and how that screwed with my psyche ... and let's not forget the PTSD I got from three burglaries and a house fire. Every time I pull up to my home, I still glance at the front door, hoping not to see it busted open, and it's always quite gratifying not seeing a fire engine outside my home. I like to think that I'm just a homebody now and not a hermit like I was in the past; but experience has simply taught me that staying home doesn't get me sick, burglarized or my stuff burned up. In other words Isolation = Safety (even if it results in boredom and loneliness).

social isolation doesn't just come from PTSD though, but simply from circumstances in general. As many LTSes on Social Security Disability know, not having a job isn't all it's cracked up to be. For a while I was too sick to work, but years later when I had recovered more, I couldn't afford to work - I'd lose all my medical care, prescription coverage, etc. For a while I filled my days with advocacy and social work, along with a LOT of gardening. These days it's me and the doggo puttering about the lawn and house until my husband comes home from work. Not working is lonely. Not only do you not have co-workers/customers to interact with; but you don't have the funds, or transportation, to go places where other people are. Oh yeah, then there's also living without all those friends who died a long time ago; aging without family around; discrimination, or the closet, because of homophobia in neighborhoods and/or retirement and nursing facilities.

Like poverty, social isolation is easy to fall into and hard to get out of - even when trying to improve the situation. I don't want to go places but I don't want to be lonely either, so it's something I'm always working to improve.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline delilah07

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 11:03:02 pm »
ugh. I haven't let my husband see this because he would make me sit in on this webinar.

We just got back from visiting his mom and family way over in Arizona (2061 miles from our house!). By all the teasing I got from the in-laws I had to assume that my snitch of a spouse had been telling tales about my stay-at-home-itis. But it wasn't even just them. Some of our best friends back home in South Carolina replied on some of my Facebook pix about how surprised they were that I was somewhere else besides home. I swear I really do get out all the time (the gym, stores, friends, family, etc) but even I do have to fess up that I stay at home whenever I can.

sigh. people just don't get how sick I was for how long and how that screwed with my psyche ... and let's not forget the PTSD I got from three burglaries and a house fire. Every time I pull up to my home, I still glance at the front door, hoping not to see it busted open, and it's always quite gratifying not seeing a fire engine outside my home. I like to think that I'm just a homebody now and not a hermit like I was in the past; but experience has simply taught me that staying home doesn't get me sick, burglarized or my stuff burned up. In other words Isolation = Safety (even if it results in boredom and loneliness).

social isolation doesn't just come from PTSD though, but simply from circumstances in general. As many LTSes on Social Security Disability know, not having a job isn't all it's cracked up to be. For a while I was too sick to work, but years later when I had recovered more, I couldn't afford to work - I'd lose all my medical care, prescription coverage, etc. For a while I filled my days with advocacy and social work, along with a LOT of gardening. These days it's me and the doggo puttering about the lawn and house until my husband comes home from work. Not working is lonely. Not only do you not have co-workers/customers to interact with; but you don't have the funds, or transportation, to go places where other people are. Oh yeah, then there's also living without all those friends who died a long time ago; aging without family around; discrimination, or the closet, because of homophobia in neighborhoods and/or retirement and nursing facilities.

Like poverty, social isolation is easy to fall into and hard to get out of - even when trying to improve the situation. I don't want to go places but I don't want to be lonely either, so it's something I'm always working to improve.

I hurt my shoulder at work so I’ve been home since April 21. It is boring and lonely. But, I hate work. Socializing is difficult because I just don’t trust or like people. I also fear I have enough reasons not to be liked.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 07:36:39 pm »
Socializing is difficult
you said a mouthful, sister :D

leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.