Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:21:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 348
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Descovy Sleep  (Read 4668 times)

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
Descovy Sleep
« on: April 17, 2017, 03:23:34 pm »
I started a Descovy  about six weeks ago and my sleep has not been the same for most of that time.  I realized that sleep can be a complicated issue, but nothing in my life has changed appreciable since I started the drug and the sleep issue began.  It's not horrible (I've been on MUCH worse drugs) but I can't seem to sleep for more than 5 hours.  I can still function, but I don't feel like I'm getting enough sleep.

I must say that I feel pretty good physically, even though I did't think I was having any side effects from Truvada.  I feel, in a very general way, better.  It's hard to describe.  If the sleep issue would resolve I'd be golden.

So, I'm just curious, has anyone else noticed a change in sleep since starting Descovy (or one of the all in one pills containing it).

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline eric48

• Standard
Re: Descovy Sleep
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 04:51:43 pm »
Hi,

How are you doing? So you kept the Viramune (after a short (bad) trip into Tivicay) and are now changing Truvada for Descovy...Is this correct?

Do you still do the FOTO-like strategy pf skipping the Sunday ? Are you doing the same with Descovy ?

BTW, did you know that French guidelines have just made it possible for a Doctor to consider the FOTO schedule, as long as it is done under the same procedure as the original trial ? The original trial was done with Truvada, not Discvy, too new...

Take care

Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 10:28:13 pm »
Doing well, for the most part, thanks for asking.

Yeah, I'm still taking Viramune but now with Descovy rather than Truvada. No complaints about the Descovy except that my sleep is off.  It's nowhere near as bad as it was with Tivicay - that was dreadful.

FWIW, Viramune has been the easiest HIV med I've ever taken - zero side effects ever.

I still skip my meds in Sundays.  Still undetectable, no blips.  However, I have never felt comfortable going full on FOTO by skipping two days.

I just wish I could put this sleeping situation behind me.  It seems to correlate directly with the timing of the med change.  This doesn't proove cause and effect, but I'd like to hear if anyone else might also be experiencing this.

I'm hoping it resolves on its own soon.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline sillyrabbit

• Let's learn how to live again!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 11:11:15 am »
hi...do you have more information regarding this 'FOTO' study? what did it prove?
Also...for how long have you been skipping doses on Sunday? i have been on meds for 6 months and they really tire me a lot... thanks!

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 12:24:14 pm »
change in sleep since starting Descovy (or one of the all in one pills containing it).

We do not have Descovy here yet, but the lack of sleep discussion has emerged in our local group since the herd move from Stribild to Genvoya...

@ Sillyrabbit: the FOTO study and its long term follow up is reported here:
http://crine.org/our-research/research-network/foto/

This group is in Boston... It has a very long follow up (10y.? ), now... It was done with the 'older' Truvada, obviously...
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 01:13:52 pm »
hi...do you have more information regarding this 'FOTO' study? what did it prove?
Also...for how long have you been skipping doses on Sunday? i have been on meds for 6 months and they really tire me a lot... thanks!

Hi  Sillyrabbit,

I just add as a word of caution that you do need to talk and work with your doctor on this, don't play doctor yourself with this one is what i am saying. Its really not suited for everybody.

I also know you have been having a really hard time and switched meds a few times already in a short time-span and could have underlining concerns, so discus this with your doctor before any changes to your routine.

Jim

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 01:18:48 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 07:38:39 am »
Seriously? People are using interruption strategies with modern HIV meds???

Anyone who isn't, and is considering it....don't. At least not before discussing with your doctor. With the half-life of drugs you are not really likely to reduce any side-effects significantly and anything which breaks the routine of taking meds could potentially lead to adherence problems and subsequent drug resistance etc. I could understand it in the 'old days' with the really nasty effects of the meds, but in 2017?

My own personal view obviously.

bmancanfly - Perhaps a good idea is to keep a sleep journal, listing the times you sleep and anything you were doing immediately before - be that an activity or food/drink. It may help narrow down if anything else is having an effect (or is even interacting with the new meds). There are also some smart-devices which monitor sleep by fitting a sensor under the sheet...not particularly cheap but may also provide info about how many times you are waking during the night or if sleep apnea is a problem. If it is Descovy causing the problem, then you will also be armed with more detailed analysis when you discuss with your doctor. Just a thought.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline sillyrabbit

• Let's learn how to live again!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 05:24:13 am »
Hi Jim, Cavey, thanks for your input!

I just wanted to read more about it .... I wouldn't want to adventure myself in skipping 2 doses per week... as I am freaked our right now, I wouldnt miss not even one. Ever since I started therapy (in august 2016) I missed only two doses.(and that with the consent of the doctor). I am still having trouble with my regimen, but I am sticking to it..I just hope these side effects will eventually wear off...

bmancanfly, I have been on Tivicay for a while and indeed...it does give some sleep disorder - I don't know about Descovy as it is not available in my country. However, for sleeping disorder I would recommend melatonin and also anti anxiety meds (that need to be prescribed by your doctor)..they seem to work for me. (I am sleeping around 7 hours per night which I believe it is good)

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 06:36:20 pm »
Indeed, FOTO, is not for everyone (as you can see in the eligibility conditions here below), by far, and, on top of this, Isentress (as well as other INIs) is not listed as an eligible regimen in this trial:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311

Descovy was not tested, as not available at time of trial, but we hear, everywhere that Descovy is virologically equivalent to Truvada, so this should be a minor concern.

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 11:44:49 am »
Well, the sleep issue still hasn't resolved and it's been two months.  I seem to be sleeping a little more than before but still not a normal amount - really not able to function normally.  I'm going for a DEXA scan on Monday to see if the Truvada had done any significant or lasting bone density damage.  If the scan looks good, I may go back on Truvada.  Not being able to sleep, unless I drug myself beyond recognition, is not something I care to do indefinitely.

@ Eric, since no one else has weighed in with similar experience (there may still be too few people taking this drug so far to get much of a response) what if anything have you heard about sleep issues re Descovy?

Seriously? People are using interruption strategies with modern HIV meds???
Yes, seriously.  This has been discussed here quite extensively and can be found by doing a search of this website and google.  Some people are using a lower than standard dose of a drug (like Sustiva 400mg) and some are using some form of FOTO.  It's more common than you are obviously aware.  I don't know what you mean by "modern" meds but this is something that has been explored recently.  It's not just about immediate side effect relief, but reducing the possibly long term effects from decades of drug exposure.  I simply leave the Sunday compartment in my pillbox empty each week.  I don't see how that would lead to adherence issues. I've never accidently missed a scheduled dose in over a decade.

This is not for everyone and should only be considered after discussing it with your doctor - no exceptions.  And even then, for most people, it would not be a good idea.  I'm on an NNRTI based regime.  NNRTI drugs have an unusually long half life which works well with this type of strategy.  It may not(and probably won't) work as well with some Integrase Inhibitor and P.I. based regimens because of their shorter half life.

@sillyrabbit, there is nothing noble about sticking with a regimen that is causing you significant side effects.  If you have been having significant side effects since August of last year and they still have not resolved, they probably are not going to.  With the number of options available there is no reason to be "sticking to it" hoping that the side effects will "eventually wear off".  The rub is, how do you define "significant"?  ;)

I'm NOT advocating FOTO and please don't make this a thread about it.  Thanks.
If anyone wants to discuss FOTO feel free to start a thread regarding that subject and I will share what my experience has been in that thread.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 11:48:49 am by bmancanfly »

Bertrand Russell

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.