Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:50:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773291
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 697
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 689
Total: 691

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: TURMERIC / RESVERATROL / PANAX GINSENG / GINKGO BILOBA  (Read 7714 times)

Offline almar68

TURMERIC / RESVERATROL / PANAX GINSENG / GINKGO BILOBA
« on: October 17, 2014, 07:38:18 am »
Hallo everyone,

Pre-testing Poz ( a few months ago ) I was taking turmeric & resveratrol for their anti-inflammatory properties.  Also, Panax Ginseng for alertners and Ginkgo Biloba for my Tinittus.

Now I read a lot that these supplements (and a LOT of others) are inducers/inhibitors of CYP3A4 - the enzyme that is metablozing a lot of the HIV meds - I am currently on a Prezista, Truvada, Norvir regimen.

Any feedback on the above supplements?

Best Regards
Alex

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: TURMERIC / RESVERATROL / PANAX GINSENG / GINKGO BILOBA
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 08:14:04 am »
My advice is to go gingerly - until you get the OK from a very knowledgeable expert. In my experience if you ask an HIV treating doctor you will get a flat-out "no" for most supplements, and this no is either based on science that it is counter-indicated, or based on a practitioner's wisdom that these are not helpful (to fight HIV) and might be harmful. 

So that leaves a consultation with a very experienced herbalist who is willing to understand the type of interactions in your particular combo, that you have already started to pick up such as - "now I read a lot that these supplements (and a LOT of others) are inducers/inhibitors of CYP3A4"

In the absence of expertise, this is why the answer is usually no.

Its a pity to get a flat no so I hope you find some expert guidance here.  I am sure there are ways to cut inflammation with diet and herbs and lifestyle but yeah we don't want to be sabotaging our anti-vitals.  ;D

For alertness I avoided the whole issue and went to western pharma and got ADD drugs and it has been brilliant.   

Tinittus I had when I went on antivirals and then it calmed during the first year.  You had it before you were poz, or do you think its from the HIV infection, and or the antivirals??

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:23:00 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 08:19:41 am »
 CATIE had an exhaustive guide to supplements and HIV but Im not sure how current it is:

http://www.catie.ca/en/practical-guides/herbal-therapies

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 08:21:34 am »
What country?

Do you have ASO in your area? Might be a place for a referral to a very qualified "alternative" health practitioner who is up to date on HIV+ people...

Do you have certified herbalists?

http://www.catie.ca/en/practical-guides/herbal-therapies/4-decisions/4-1

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 08:23:43 am »
Eat a well balanced diet and take a multivitamin if you want . If ever your doctor finds that you are deficient in a mineral then they can prescribe something for you in in the proper dose. Its pretty much been established that supplements for the most part give you an expensive pee in the least and at most do harm .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 08:26:44 am »
I agree.  I think we are all on the same page for that and the OP knows these won't fight HIV and is anxious to avoid a conflict with anti-vitals.  But do we have to throw all "alternative" ways to address other issues away, because we take anti-vitals?  That is the question, I think.

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 08:33:58 am »
I just received my quarterly shipment of green tea, and dandelion root, and some other stuff.  Lemon balm tea calms at night and might be active against herpes. But I've got a pharma anti-viral for the herpes if I need it, so there you go. Maybe the large quantities of dandelion root tea helped my liver through recent battles, maybe its just genetic. 

I do believe in very large cities one can find an ayurvedic practitioner and a traditional chinese medicine practitioner who will work with HIV+ people on antivirals, and knows what he/she is doing, but one would have to look hard and choose carefully.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.