Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:55:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 663
Total: 663

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: SUSTIVA GOING CRAZY  (Read 5422 times)

Offline SASA39

SUSTIVA GOING CRAZY
« on: February 22, 2007, 02:21:50 pm »
Has anyone had problems with Sustiva..............
Me , on therapy for the 4,5 months seesms like going crazy................
Crying out of a blue , ..........................feeling very sad....................
Hard to switch drug due to a fact that it is a shortage of drugs overhere in Serbia..............
Please help....................
                                                                             Al
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
Re: SUSTIVA GOING CRAZY
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 06:34:04 pm »
try to see if you can add a antidepressant like zoloft or paxil, prozac. i was taking 125 mg of zoloft daily. i recently went down to 100mg a day and still feeling my depression is under control.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 05:01:47 am »
I had to stop Sustiva because of the long term depression.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline jimw

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 01:24:55 pm »
I started on Sustiva when I was first diagnosed last year.  I tried to make it work for almost 7 months before I gave up because of the side effects (depression, etc.).  I took Xanax (1mg 3 times a day) and Lexapro (20 mg at night).  Most people respond to these medications, maybe you can ask your doc - I was just one of the unlucky ones who could not tolerate Sustiva, no matter what I took and finally switched regimens.  Good luck. 

Offline Ant

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 04:20:12 am »
I had problems taking Sustiva, took it for three years with Combivir and couldn't touch a beer without feeling terrible the next day. Also had sleep problems and anxiousness and lipo.

In the end I changed to Reyataz/Norvir with Truvada and feel better mentally but not so good with the diarrhoea and now I am quite jaundiced so might need to change again.
'Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.' Soren Kierkegaard

donnahornby

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 01:15:40 am »
So sorry SASA39 - Been on it for 3 weeks now with hallucinations the first week. No alcohol. No fatty food. And I take it on its own at 9.30 at night as I go to sleep. I don't sleep well so feel a bit tired in the day but it's better than the other stuff. Also feel a bit down but maybe that's just starting this roller coaster ride. I hope it gets better for you.
Donna

Offline nick2046

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 07:33:00 am »
I've been on it 5 years but it seems ok with me...  I'm depressed but i always did in the past so nth is new.  I still drink beer now & then & eat sensibly; however, i don't believe in taking antidepressant as it won't sort the root of the problem.  You always get side-effects with drugs... so i take as few as possible, surely your doctor would know your conditions better.
And so it has been, and so it is written
    On the doorway to paradise
    That those who falter and those who fall
    Must pay the price

Offline Cseanr

Re: DEPRESSED IN FLORIDA - Sustiva / Epzicom
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 09:18:40 pm »
sustiva for me is too extreme.  i cry aloft.  i feel like i want to hit someone.  terrible nightmares.  tired when i wake up in the mornings.  always feeling on edge and depressed.  i want to talk with my doctor about changing meds, but the thing is, I was in the hospital 8 months ago at 120 pounds basically left for dead.  i started my first regimen *epzicom and sustiva*.  ive gained the weight back and then some.  I'm only 8 months Ive gained 65 pounds.  i eat healthy, i exercise, but then i look at water and i gain more weight.  Has anyone else been having this issue with the regimen I'm on????  signed:  Depressed in Florida.

Offline hoper

« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:05:21 pm by hoper »

Offline Cseanr

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 08:16:13 pm »
Gosh, I read that journal and I thought I was ready about myself.  I have always been a very optimistic person, and I can't seem to pull myself out of the rutt I'm stuck in all the time.  I even get sarcastic with people that are my great friends and we have never had any issues.  I'm going to chat with my doctor about changing regimens. 

Thanks again!!!

Offline suzieque

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 05:30:57 am »
 Hi,
   SASA39 and Cseanr, I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I had a lot of trouble with Sustiva, felt like I was living in a nightmare. I have never regretted changing. SASA39, is there any possibility for changing your meds where you live? Cseanr, I hear your concern about having been very ill and changing meds, I was in a similar situation when I began Sustiva, however as you are doing well I would think that you could change successfully ( is your viral load undetectable?). I began my meds in Florida too where they are very keen on Sustiva, however I now live in England and my doctor is really against this med unless absolutely necessary due to the amount of mental disturbances ( including psychotic behaviour in some) and suffering he has seen with it. I do know that it works well for some people.
                    Best wishes to you both,
                                Suzie

Offline Cseanr

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 12:20:41 am »
I really appreciate your feedback.  Previously, I felt like I was the only one dealing with this depression issue and thought it was part of the process.  But now that I see there are other alternatives, it makes me want to change.  I am now undetectable, but my tcells are just now about 200.  I was down to 57; not a fun time I might add.  I try to be as optimistic as possible, but it's hard when you always feel like there's an edge covering your and the thoughts I've been having.  It scares me to death, no pun intended.  Thanks again!

Offline suzieque

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 07:40:01 am »

Dear Cseanr,
         With your viral load undetectable, in my opinion, you should have no trouble changing meds, even with a CD4 around 200. I have done so successfully before, even after having come up from a CD4 count of 40 and hospitalised with PCP! There are plenty of other strong options available. Find what is right for you, we are all unique :) Hang in there!!
               Best wishes,
                     Suzie

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.