Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:13:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 597
Total: 597

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Low Testosterone  (Read 3982 times)

Offline Corey Bryant

• Corey Bryant
Low Testosterone
« on: December 31, 2007, 09:02:30 am »
I think I have actually had low testosterone all my life - it explains a lot (depression, hair growth, pain).  Right now, my number is 187 and apparently that is low.  Depending on the site, etc it should be (on the lowest end between 200 / 300).  They gave me a shot and I was put on Testim.  My levels stayed the same. 

So reading a bit more, I tend to see that my body might be having a problem processing a few vitamins etc.  The doctors suggested I take Caltrate as well.  But I am wondering if these low testosterone levels might also contribute to my body not able to process calcium properly?

Right now, I am on no medications for HIV.  I was hoping that maybe someone else has gone through this process already and knew a bit more
Corey
My Blog

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Low Testosterone
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 10:28:58 am »
Testim is the same as Androgel, I think.  I took Androgel for a while, and it did get my "t" levels up to an acceptable amount, however it is not an instant fix.  You don't mention how long you've been on the Testim.

Previous to Androgel, as I don't think at the time it was yet on the market, they gave me shots every other week, and that's more like the stuff bodybuilders abuse (i.e. nandrolone decanoate).  That works MUCH quicker, so you could look into if that is an option -- however I first began this more for wasting issues than for simple low t-levels.  I know recently they've restricted the use of this, but someone here made a thread about how you can still get it at certain pharmacies, but they must take a couple of components and mix it on location.  I guess that means you'd have to administer the shots yourself, and as they go in the buttocks it's not a particularly easy thing to do.

Also, I think some doctors now shy away from this as you can develop higher blood pressure if used long-term.  I was on all of this crap for a good 5 years and I indeed must now take blood pressure medication, though that began after I'd stopped all of the testosterone supplementation, so I'm not sure what conclusion to draw.  Could just be coincidental in my case.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Corey Bryant

• Corey Bryant
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 11:08:44 am »
Sorry I thought I did say (I meant to) :)

I started on Testim about 15 Oct.  Since my testosterone was low, they gave me a shot and had me come back (31 Oct) in two weeks for another test.  I had been on Testim then for two weeks (same results).  I went back in the middle of November for another draw and then one in the middle of December (two months by then).  The results were the same. 

A doctor did a bone density test (osteopenia) there.  High cholesterol (not on anything because my liver function are abnormal). 

For giving myself injections, I don't think I would ever be able to.  Drawing blood is a nightmare for me unfortunately. 

I have a few teeth problems as well and I am wondering if they could be attributed to this?  Never did any drugs (except marijuana in high school) so no other contributing factors for this.
Corey
My Blog

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 11:29:02 am »
Corey, it took me several injections to increase my testosterone levels. I too am now on Testim 1% 50mg a day. It finally upped my levels and now I have trouble with waking up with a woody in the mornings. I'm to old for that shit. Give it time to work. You'll notice that a lot of other things that happens too, such as, your moods will level and you won't be up and down with the mood swings as much. It also helps if you are taking antidepressants or anti-anxiety meds.

Offline Corey Bryant

• Corey Bryant
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 03:47:00 pm »
In the beginning, I did notice a few things but I think that it was mind over matter more than anything. 

I have an appointment with some of the docs next month to discuss a few other options as well.   Luckily, I have two brain MRIs actually so they will be going back through them to review a few other things also.
Corey
My Blog

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 04:57:05 pm »
Corey, it took me several injections to increase my testosterone levels. I too am now on Testim 1% 50mg a day. It finally upped my levels and now I have trouble with waking up with a woody in the mornings. I'm to old for that shit. 

Well it will stop you from rolling out of the bed in the middle of the night

Lucas

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 06:14:46 pm »
... It finally upped my levels and now I have trouble with waking up with a woody in the mornings. I'm to old for that shit...

Nonsense! You're never too old to wake with your best friend  ;D
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 03:00:27 pm »
You know I ask my Doctor to check for low testosterone but he said my levels were normal, but I feel that he either was evasive or did not think it was important.  You think I should get a second opinion?  I am just asking because I feel a direct difference between myself now and ten years ago.  It is like a lost of energy or something. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 03:51:48 pm »
Why don't you ask for a copy of the test?  It shows up (if tested) along with my other lab numbers in the print out.  There's no "opinion" in interpreting the numbers, either your doctor took the test or he didn't.  It will show if they are in or out of normal range.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 05:11:33 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 08:26:07 pm »
Why don't you ask for a copy of the test?  It shows up (if tested) along with my other lab numbers in the print out.  There's no "opinion" in interpreting the numbers, either your doctor took the test or he didn't.  It will show if they are in or out of normal range.

i dont think my doc did the test.  when i see him next week i will request it.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 12:09:38 am »
I have requested it.  Now I'm waiting for the result.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.