Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:50:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 389
Total: 392

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Oldest known person living with hiv  (Read 57541 times)

Offline worriedfriend

Oldest known person living with hiv
« on: April 20, 2007, 04:28:16 pm »
Does anyone know the oldest person who lived with hiv, I have heard stories of 20, 25 years or so. If anyone knows, I would really like to know, if perhaps one of you have been living with it for several several years or know of someone else who had it for 30 years or so before they left us.

Thanks so much

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
Re: Oldest known person living with hiv
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 04:31:54 pm »
Hi Worried,

with the new medications there are many many people who live longer now and there is a lot of work done to minimize the side effects of the medications. You might want to read the stories from the Long-Term Survivors forum and this thread: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=11342.0

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline SASA39

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 05:44:28 pm »
Just one word : "wishihadacat"  28 years .Oops that makes 3
 :P
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=10559.msg130714#msg130714
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline worriedfriend

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 03:26:13 pm »
You know, I have been thinking how hard this is, for those that have to live with this and for those who don't' have it, but have loved ones and very close friends. Certainly it's not has hard, but man I sure have my days. I wanted to say that all these nice responses and all the stuff I have learned, I'm feeling much better about my best Friend. If he can stay around for like 20 some years like many of you, who knows what advances we will have by then. I would like to think that in 20 years, we'll have a cure, or if we don't have a cure, we have medicines with little to NO side effects and people can still live a normal life expectancy, sorry for spelling.
Words of encouragement from the many stories and I just need to keep thinking positive that my friend can live a good 20 plus years, maybe longer. My problem is, I went directly to the end of his life thinking, oh my god I can't loose this friend, how would I go on without him and I need to stop thinking that way and live in the NOW.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 03:57:23 pm »
I do not believe it matters what your age is, how long you have been infected, because the real issue is not how long you live with HIV, it is HOW WELL YOU LIVE WITH HIV.  Often perspective can be everything.

Offline worriedfriend

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 04:31:43 pm »
From what I read, this disease is so strange as one person may need to be on heavy medication for YEARS, then Joe Smo, who has had it from 20yrs doesn't need any meds and is doing great.  that must make this disease so hard as there isn't a SET group of steps to do, not everyone takes the same meds and does the same stuff.  It sure would be easier if this disease wasn't so damn smart.  Who knows, just a thought you know.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 05:20:46 pm »
Newly diagnosed people are very lucky to have access to medication that is a lot less heavy . Our LTS friends have had to endure much more than we newbies will have to go through. But the fight is not over.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 07:18:28 pm »
A wonderful artist I know in SF, who was one of the panelists on a LTS panel which I chaired back in the early 90s, has been HIV+ for over 30 years. He's also one who has been a longtime non-progressor. No adverse changes in his health and he's not on meds and I still hear from him regularly.

He's not the only one. When I was doing research on the subject at that time, it was amazing how many people got in touch who were then well into a second decade of good health. I think Dr. Susan Buchbinder in SF Health is still following up on many of them and continues to study the various factors which may make a difference in maintaining good health.

With the continuing development of effective new medications and knowledge about other factors which maintain good health I see every likelihood of lifespans with HIV continuing to expand. That's why I get mad when I hear someone say their doctor has tossed off some shortterm prediction when I continue to see so much evidence which points to the contrary. Of course if someone is newly diagnosed and has apparently been HIV+ for an extended period before being diagnosed, that can make a big difference in prognosis. That doesn't mean there aren't problems as we well know. But as a general matter I am increasingly hopeful about longevity numbers for those living with HIV.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 07:25:00 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 01:41:23 am »
As has been suggested, you might want to take a look at the Long Term Survivors forum. There are many folks with courageous and interesting stories of having lived a long lives while being HIV positive.

I'm one of several AM Forum members here who are termed Long Term Non Progressors (LTNP). It is estimated that LTNP's make up about .3 % of HIV positive people. I've been positive since 1981. I'm now 48 years old.

It seems to me that taking each day as it comes and living life to it's fullest will at least in the short term help give one a more optimistic outlook and possibly enjoy life 'in the now'.

Cheers
Paul

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 01:48:00 am »
A wonderful artist I know in SF, who was one of the panelists on a LTS panel which I chaired back in the early 90s, has been HIV+ for over 30 years. He's also one who has been a longtime non-progressor.

Just out of curiosity, how does one actually figure this out with any degree of certainty?  The virus has only been scientifically identifiable for 23 years.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 01:12:36 pm »
Just out of curiosity, how does one actually figure this out with any degree of certainty?  The virus has only been scientifically identifiable for 23 years.

In some cases, folks have had various blood and tissue samples taken for other
reasons / diseases which had been frozen and stored, many years before HIV
could be detected.  These have been used in some cases to detect just how
far back someone has been HIV+.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline LT

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 03:10:18 am »
The virus has been genetically traced back to it roots in Africa.  It appears to have crossed the simian/human species barrier in the late 1920's to early 1930's.  Though it may well have emerged and died out several times before that.

The earliest cases, proven from frozen plasma samples, date to 1959.  They are from a Dutch sailor, who worked in Africa for a while, his wife, and their newborn child.

While a test did not become available until 1984, many of us LTS folks recognize that we experienced classic seroconversion symptoms years before we were clinically diagnosed.  In my own case, I was diagnosed just before Christmas 1985.  I am quite sure I was infected in the Fall of 82 or Spring of 83, a period where I had long on/off bout with flu like symptoms, night sweats, etc.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 07:34:23 am by LT »

Offline grainfreequeen

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 08:36:48 pm »
I have heard that the longest lived HIV+ person in Canada was miss diagonosed as being a Celiac and put on a grain free diet.  He did so well on the grain free diet that he stayed on it with good results even after getting a poz diagnosis.

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 02:57:45 pm »
Dear Worried -
        Based on risk behavior I can say with absolute certainty that I had to have become infected sometime between mid to late 1979 and the early spring of 1980, which makes it around 28 years, as SASA noted above. I am now 56 years old and I've never had any of the usual opportunistic infections, and I'd have to say that I'm in astonishingly good condition for anyone my age - poz or neg. (Of course, now that I've said that I will probably come down with some bizarre medical condition, and if I do, I will blame you! lol.) For what its worth, I also became coinfected with Hep C back then. I have no idea how many more years I have left on earth in this body, but I've lived an amazing life for the last 28 years, and but for the difficulty of finding appropriate women to snuggle up with, I really can't complain. Other than some generally tolerable mild peripheral neuropathy that began when I started taking DDI way back when, and the emotional isolation that was problematic for many years, I've probably been very fortunate, and when I read the posts of others here who have suffered terribly, it touches me very deeply.
       Needless to say, everyone is different. In my case, my doctor and I are reasonably certain that I am lucky enough to have at least one genetic receptor mutation that has kept the monster at bay, and the only real side effects that I experience from taking Atripla are very vivid dreams (which I kind of enjoy in a strange way) and some sensitivity to foods that sometimes induce mild gastrointestinal discomfort.
       On the plus side, I believe that having HIV has actually made me more empathetic towards others, and I try to lead my life with meaning and conscience. I've been a practicing attorney for 25 years, and because I  am constantly reminded of the frailty of human existence, I like to think that the virus has made me a better person and a more conscientious lawyer (and no, the two are not mutually exclusive, you wiseasses out there!)
        The best advice I can give you is that you try to maintain a healthy diet and take care of your body and your spirit, avoid unneccessary stress, and be as conscious an individual as you can. It may not work for you, but it seems to do the trick for me.

Hang in there.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 06:29:40 pm by wishihadacat »
Your name here  X_______________

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.