Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:37:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 442
Total: 443

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Boyfriend diagnosed last week  (Read 5216 times)

Offline D30

Boyfriend diagnosed last week
« on: January 16, 2013, 06:38:52 pm »
Having recently got over a phobia of HIV and meeting the most fantastic man ever, he told me last week, on the same day that he got his results, that he was HIV positive.

Our story started in August 2012. We met whilst we were both abroad for work and I knew from the very beginning that he was a very special man. Things between us moved fairly quickly but we never lost ourselves in the 'high school romance' feelings, instead staying honest with each other and realising that our feelings were mutual.

Now, we're in love. What you could describe as a perfect relationship between two guys.

The day he told me the results of his diagnosis, I felt numb. A numbness quickly followed by anger and then feelings of how the world could be such an unfair place. I'd be lying if I said I'm over these feelings, but I must admit that after a week my priorities have turned from my feelings into only wanting the best for him.

He quickly told me that he'd understand if I wanted to leave the relationship given his diagnosis. This is NOT an option for me, and I'm not going to let some shitty virus destroy a relationship and love which has so much potential.

Having had a phobia of HIV and getting over it be researching as much as I could regarding transmission routes etc, I'm surprised that this phobia has not resurfaced. In fact, I feel confident about staying free of this virus myself. I took a HIV test right after his diagnosis which came back negative, and according to all of the advice on this website, we never had a risk factor.

My only priority right now is making sure he stays healthy.

To cut a long story short, my boyfriend lost his father to AIDS and theorises that it was in fact the drugs used to treat the AIDS infections that contributed to his death. As a result, he's intensively researching non-traditional treatment methods but I think he realises that at some point he may have to take traditional ARVs.

My only desire is that he stays healthy, both physically and mentally. Our relationship is strong enough to survive this and I'm 100% behind him.

I wanted to be able to write my thoughts down here. If anybody has any input, I'd love to read it.

My final words for tonight - This online community helped me so much as somebody who never really had anything to worry about. Now, I want to help somebody who needs care and love.

To all of those affected by HIV, either directly or indirectly, I pray for us all and hope that we can overcome this awful thing which isn't worth giving up on.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Boyfriend diagnosed last week
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 07:12:10 pm »
To cut a long story short, my boyfriend lost his father to AIDS and theorises that it was in fact the drugs used to treat the AIDS infections that contributed to his death. As a result, he's intensively researching non-traditional treatment methods but I think he realises that at some point he may have to take traditional ARVs.

When did his father die of AIDS?  In the 80s and into the 90's, there was some pretty heavy medicine.  People were going to die of HIV, then, as now.  Back then, they took what was available.  They got sick from HIV, AIDS infections, and sometimes the heavy drugs made people feel even more ill. Though, those drugs did help some survive to take advantage of the new, good drugs.   

Now we would all still be dying of AIDS, eventually, but for the medicine. Which works very well indeed.

News flash for your bf.  HIV kills.  2nd flash - HAART works, and its not poison. 3rd flash - "alternative therapies alternative medicines" never saved anyone from HIV.

The most important thing for your bf and anyone to realise, to live well with HIV, is to live in the present. It is 2013.  Medicine for HIV does not kill. Quite the contrary.  In your bf's case, when his body reaches the time to start medicine, it will stop HIV dead in its track and your BF is looking at normal life expectancy and probably not all that much trouble from HIV.  I guess you know that so your job is to help him know that....

Encourage him to join this forum. Encourage him to talk to real doctors, and people at HIV/AIDS service organisations.  And people living with HIV and being treated in the standard Western medicine.   Encourage him to ask about alternative medicine to all these people.

He must learn the facts and that should make him stop with this alternative nonsense.  All that stuff is VERY dangerous and people still die believing such crap, and not taking advantage of standard Western Medicine. They believe it, they get sick. They die. Sometimes they have last minute changes of mind and try HAART, and maybe they pull through. But they've been ravaged by HIV.  In this day in age. What a shame. A scandal. Criminal.  All for nothing.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:48:30 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Rockin

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 05:04:30 am »
D30, Mecch is right....the medicine these days don't kill, HIV untreated does. And so far there has been no proof, NO PROOF, that "alternative" treatment works. Trust me, a lot of people tried and they are no longer here to tell the story.

I started taking meds 1 year and 6 months ago and I'm feeling fine, my health is great. There is no reason whatsoever your boyfriend should feel afraid of it.

I have one question though, regarding you and overcoming your phobia: how is the sex life between you two? Is it ok, no paranoias? It's just that I'm seeing a guy and I'm about to tell him as well and he also had a phobia of HIV so I'm hoping our story turns out the same as yours.

Offline D30

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:48:49 am »
I have one question though, regarding you and overcoming your phobia: how is the sex life between you two? Is it ok, no paranoias? It's just that I'm seeing a guy and I'm about to tell him as well and he also had a phobia of HIV so I'm hoping our story turns out the same as yours.

Considering we had a lot of sex before he had the confirmation of his diagnosis, which was always safe, I see no reason to worry. I tested negative last week which means we're doing something right! And sex is still fine.

I think that my phobia hasn't resurfaced simply because I love the man and realise that everybody has something.

I think that if you feel that the bond you share with this guy is strong, then your HIV status will not destroy the relationship nor the sex.

Offline Rockin

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 09:41:04 am »
Considering we had a lot of sex before he had the confirmation of his diagnosis, which was always safe, I see no reason to worry. I tested negative last week which means we're doing something right! And sex is still fine.

I think that my phobia hasn't resurfaced simply because I love the man and realise that everybody has something.

I think that if you feel that the bond you share with this guy is strong, then your HIV status will not destroy the relationship nor the sex.

That's how I feel as well. Thanks for sharing your story man, it gives hope to a lot of people.

Offline Whitneyluva

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 11:06:19 am »
I hope my story turns out like yours. The guy i've been dating is having a hard time dealing with his positive status and is ending things with me because he's afraid he's going to give it to me. He just found out back in October.

Offline thomi

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 05:50:33 pm »
Hi all,
I just want to share with you my recent experience. I just recently met great guy, before decide to do not protected sex, we go together tested. My test was negative, unfortunately he got positive.
I was prepared for getting positive result myself, not that I wanted but I know that could happen especially that I did few times unprotected sex, I was tested every 6 months just in case, because of my active sex life. That was his first test ever.
I was sad but it didn't changed anything in our relationship. I am ready to support him, because I waited all my life to meet such great guy.
I want him to feel comfortable, and sure that I will never leave him because he is hiv positive.
I am ready to support him. I am even ready to heard some day that I am also hiv positive. Of course we will use protection.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.