Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:12:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 323
Total: 324

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: insertive anal assesment  (Read 11191 times)

Offline Bello

insertive anal assesment
« on: December 09, 2010, 05:43:19 pm »
Hello all

I am in the UK and have had a brief insertive anal without protection with a guy status unknown. I am a healthy fit guy and my insertion was very brief 2 mins with no ejaculation. I tested with a  DUO/Combi p24 & antibody test at 28 days post risk and again at 8 weeks both negative I also had a full STI screen that came back also negative. I have worries a great deal over the whole thing and had anxiety over it all.

i am aware that in the US the window for conclusive testing is 12/13 weeks , I am also aware that the UK has the same but the HIV governance identify with the new 4 th Generation tests.

I really wanted to know with my risk would a 8 week test turn, as I am really worried about the next test for some reason.

I also wanted to no does Acyclovir muck up any test that I had , as I had just finished a course as i had suspected shingles.

many thanks

Offline RapidRod

Re: insertive anal assesment
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 05:58:53 pm »
Post-test discussion (UK Testing Guideline)

The need for a repeat HIV test if still within the window period after a specific exposure should be discussed. Although fourth generation tests shorten the time from exposure to seroconversion a repeat test at three months is still recommended to definitively exclude HIV infection.

http://www.bhiva.org/documents/Guidelines/Testing/GlinesHIVTest08.pdf

Offline Bello

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 06:05:18 pm »
Thank you for your reply.

I read that 99% of people will have detectable antibodies at 6 weeks is this not correct?

Do you know if the meds would have mucked up the test?

Do 8 week negative combi test ever turn + as they also test for p24 prior. ?

Wow your profile pic is just like my dog... lovely breed

Thanks again :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 06:08:53 pm by Bello »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 06:39:03 pm »
Bello, given that you had a single risky exposure, that it was as the insertive partner and that you have tested negative at 6 weeks, the great likelihood is that you will continue to test negative at 13 weeks.

Get busy with other things during the waiting time. It will help it to pass much more easily and at the end of the day I do expect you will come out of this ok.

You do need to learn from this experience. You can have as many partners as you like as either insertive or receptive. You just need to do it the safer way everytime, which means the insertive partner must always be wearing a condom. No exceptions. Condoms provide very effective protection against HIV transmission.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Bello

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 06:58:05 pm »
thank you Andy

I actually tested at 8 weeks. so nearly there

Was interested if you could help with my previous questions if you can

many thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 08:31:07 am »
Bello,

It is true that the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks. I do not expect your eight week negative to change.

Acyclovir will not have any effect on your hiv antibody test.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Bello

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 01:28:17 pm »
hello Ann

thank you very much for your response, I popped along to the GUM UK clinci for a test and they said that I could test but it was really not needed as they thought in doing so would make me worse with the anxiety.
They confirmed that yes the 12 weeks conclusive is set ,
 but its a guideline set at that point to catch everyone mostly those who have autoimmune problems ect or those who have date with exposure problems as cant remember when.
I see now why, but they say the two tests I had both being Duo combi were acturate at 99.8% at 28 days and after. ( one at 4 weeks second at 8.5 weeks)

oh well i have to move on.... I hope everyone would soon sing out of the same song sheet, I suppose not everywhere has the same standard of test most are mainly antiboby test , even those are 99% accurate at 6 weeks on wards.  Oh well is there a real need to have so much stress with this new testing process.
I had abbott test and they clearly say 28 day accurate at 99.8% so if this was wrong this product would surely not be licenced

Happy holidays  :)

Bello
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:31:04 pm by Bello »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 05:14:00 pm »
hello Ann

thank you very much for your response, I popped along to the GUM UK clinci for a test and they said that I could test but it was really not needed as they thought in doing so would make me worse with the anxiety.
They confirmed that yes the 12 weeks conclusive is set ,
 but its a guideline set at that point to catch everyone mostly those who have autoimmune problems ect or those who have date with exposure problems as cant remember when.
I see now why, but they say the two tests I had both being Duo combi were acturate at 99.8% at 28 days and after. ( one at 4 weeks second at 8.5 weeks)

oh well i have to move on.... I hope everyone would soon sing out of the same song sheet, I suppose not everywhere has the same standard of test most are mainly antiboby test , even those are 99% accurate at 6 weeks on wards.  Oh well is there a real need to have so much stress with this new testing process.
I had abbott test and they clearly say 28 day accurate at 99.8% so if this was wrong this product would surely not be licenced

Happy holidays  :)

Bello
That is not what the manufacture states.
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/BloodBloodProducts/ApprovedProducts/LicensedProductsBLAs/BloodDonorScreening/InfectiousDisease/UCM216314.pdf

Page 27
Current methods for the detection of HIV may not detect all infected individuals. An ARCHITECT HIV Ag/Ab Combo test result that is nonreactive does not exclude the possibility of exposure to or infection with HIV-1 and/or HIV-2. Nonreactive results in this assay for individuals with prior exposure to HIV-1 and/or HIV-2 may be due to antigen and antibody levels below the limit of detection of this assay.

Offline Bello

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 08:25:32 am »
Thanks

Interesting the thought of this study, but i have looked at the data and the test shows a very high detection rate within the scope of the test being an early test assay.

I noted that the opening line of the paragraph you shown gives a standard get out clause " basically saying current testing will not detect all HIV infected individuals.... well this would be true as No testing in 100% in science ,,I have read this everywhere !.

The labs in the Uk seem to be happy with a 99.89% acturacy level at 28 days, i note also in the study that the testing was done with the 0 to 20 days early detection window. I can't see if any of the tests were done in this study a 8, 9, 10 weeks etc.

Your thoughts

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 05:53:14 pm by Bello »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 08:30:20 am »
Thanks

Interesting the thought of this study, but i have looked at the data and the test shows a very high detection rate within the scope of the test being an early test asssy.

I noted that the opening line of the paragraph you shown gives a standard get out clause " basically saying curret testing will not detect all HIV infected individuals.... well this would be true as No testing in 100% in science ,,i have read this everywhere.

The labs in the Uk seem to be happy with a 99.89% acturacy level at 28 days, i note also in gthe study that the testing was done with the 0 to 20 days eary detection window. I cant see if any of the tests were done in this study a 8, 9, 10 weeks etc.

Your thoughts

Early detection and a concluse test result are not the same.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 08:41:55 am »
Although sensitivity of tests in use continues to improve, we follow the CDC guideline that recommends testing at 13 weeks for a conclusive result. In many countries 12 weeks is equally acceptable. At 13 weeks all generations of tests currently in use wil yield a conclusive result.

It may well be that at some point the testing date will be shortened but for now we go with the CDC's recommendation.
Andy Velez

Offline Bello

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 05:44:45 pm »
Thanks for your response, i didnt know that you followed your cdc  guidelines of the 13 weeks. It would appear that as andy said that in time the govening bodies will recognise the results of the newer tests.

I am in the Uk and although the BAASH guildlines still say 12 weeks , it also recognised the new tests and the accuracy they provide. I have approached a number of clinics and they say that 8week tests are very very accurate and no one I spoke to said they had seen a negative test turn positive without further exposure risk.
I was looking at the data RR gave and I also looked at the Abbott testing results and I must say they are very very sensitive and show over 99.89% testing accuracy at 28 days onwards. I also see that France, Italy and spain have reuduced thier window periods with the newer tests below the 12 weeks mark. France now use 6 weeks with Combi/Duo testing and 3 rd Gen Antibody test. This country test more then most european countries, so this must come from clinic experience and evidence that there is really no need to wait 12/13 weeks to be conclusive.  I also cant understand why then have early testing for HIV when the conclusive is 12 weeks.... this makes no sense whatso ever to me, giving a person a neg test at 28 days and then say " ell it doesnt mean anything as you need a test in two month time... Also companies, Registerd doctors would not put thier jobs on the line saying that the tests where not conclusive prior to the 12/13 weeks...  you guys are very informed could you respond on this please:-\

I have a 2nd question though in the US there are states that say 8 weeks are conclusive why is that the case when you have CDC, would this be the same as in the UK.?   :)

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 06:00:36 pm by Bello »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 05:53:20 pm »
The CDC guidelines are a suggestion and not a law. In Massachusetts for instance 6 weeks is used. As with many things in the world of HIV, things aren't as simple as they might be.
Andy Velez

Offline Bello

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 06:05:25 pm »
Hi andy

Thanks, I am begining to see a trend here, perhaps there will be changes in the wind, I suppose it was if you compared the early 1st Gen tests six to a year for a result at best.

science is forever getting better and it takes time for all to share in this and get a grip of the changes.

i suppose these brilliant forums help to share views around the world.

Thanks for your support, I really appreciate it

Happy Hols  ;)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 09:34:58 am »
Bello, you're welcome.
Andy Velez

Offline Bello

Happy New Year & Thank You
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 06:08:19 pm »
Happy New years to all for 2011, and especially a thank you to Andy V, Ann, RapidRod etc for your support that you not only have given me , but to others on this forum.

Best wishes

Bello  :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 10:25:06 pm »
Thanks for the good wishes Bello and the same to you for the New Year.

I have merged your latest thread with your previous one because our rule is that all entries should go into the same thread. So if you have occasion to write again make sure you always use this one thread. 

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 04:45:46 am »
Bello,

If you plan on further participation in this forum, you need to read our Welcome Thread and familiarise yourself with our posting rules.

Not only did Andy have to merge your threads, but I also had to delete the incorrect response you left in someone else's thread. Make sure you read and abide by the rules in future or you risk being banned.

Thank you for your cooperation - and Happy New Year to you too.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Bello

rude admin and so called moderators on this forum do not use
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 11:58:15 am »
I am disgusted at the way I have been spoken to by Ann on this forum please see below
 who the hell do you think you are speaking like that....... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( Also for anyone getting to read this before its deleted Radip rod is Teak from Medhelp who is on a HIV power trip all over the HIv forums , The info that is given id outdated especially re testing 4 th generation tests are 28 day conclucive and 3 rd generation tests are 99% conclusive at 6 weeks so its time that these people are put i n there place the best sites to go to on HIV testing ect is Freedom health Uk site up to date and very accurate the Dr's are international HIV experts no jumped up power hungry folls that have nothing else in their lives than to bully and have a go at.

The USA is behind in HIV testing and research ... my god they say CDC say this what a joke MAss at least has the balls to apply the proper window periods, the Admin and Mods even go against experts Doctors on their own site as you will see.

my heart goes out to anyone going through what I have , but please stay away for here and Medhelp go to UK sites and or european  australian sites for upto date information

I hope you get to read this

Bello,

As someone who is not hiv positive, what and where you are permitted to post in the forums is very limited, as you would know if you read the Welcome thread I asked you to and took time to familiarise yourself with our posting rules.

If you had, you would have read the following:

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban, at the discretion of the Moderator Team.

Please read the Welcome thread and abide by our rules in future. If you do not, you run the risk of being permanently banned.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 12:47:23 pm »
Bello,

You don't have to like the way this forum is run, but you do have to abide by our rules. As you have demonstrated that you cannot or will not abide by our rules, I have no choice but to permanently ban you.

Freedom Health wants your money. They do not actually care about you or your health nor do they wish to ensure you have a conclusive negative result.

The window period we advise people about is the one which not only the CDC go by, but BHIVA (British HIV Association) as well.

Bye!

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 12:53:54 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.