Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:27:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 449
Total: 449

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bad American? Good American? or just a human being?  (Read 2846 times)

Offline Ronald1958

• My website
Bad American? Good American? or just a human being?
« on: July 20, 2006, 03:50:05 pm »
I was recently blasted on my view regarding our soldiers in Iraq.

I do not agree with Bush or any attempt at a rational reason of why we should even be in Iraq.  I never agreed with any of the reasons that were given to us and now as time passes, the more vocal my disagreements are.  It seems nothing is revelent to our actions.

I am heartsick that our military is obligated to follow orders, but that is the law and it must be obeyed.  Laws are made for a reason even though I disagree with some, hell, for us to be civil - the majority of them must be followed.  I forwarded an e-mail that asked for people to pray for soldiers' safety and I got an angry tyraid against Bush.  Well, I agree that we should have never been in Iraq, but the soldiers.....  Should I also view them as heartless too because they are doing what they are told?  It took many lives and years to turn the country's view on Vietnam and I pray that it doesn't take that long for Iraq.  My oldest brother served a year in Vietnam and returned with stress disorders that just now they legally acknowledge.  We have talked about his "traumas" and I can only wish these do not happen to the men and women in Iraq.  So, even though I do not agree with the reasons for them being in Iraq, I still pray for the soldiers and I hate that people see this as supporting this war, police action, or whatever it is called these days.

It breaks my heart to hear of a 20 year-old that died or a 30 year-old father that was killed in an AMBUSH!

I do not see where our presence is making a difference with all these stories coming at us.  Oh, I notice how they do manage to find Iraqis that "love" the US, but even they tend to want the eventual self-governing that allows THEM to choose.  So, why are we in Iraq?  Can someone explain this to me without using "weapons of mass  destruction" or "terrorism"? 

And since when is the entire world "our problem"?  I think everyone needs to participate in any known and proven transgression. I am very tired of being part of the very few nations willing to police the world.  If we aren't asked to help - then don't I say.  I am not so naive to believe the world is a "fairyland" (pardon the pun) but I think everyone needs to recognize the bad elements and help too.

I really think the money spent on Iraq and Afganistan would be better spent here on:

Katrina relief - rebuild New Orleans - fix the damned levees!
Education - we are slipping, why?  Art and music being cut?
Fossil fuel alternatives - we should have been working on this since 1975!
Medical research for AIDS, Alzheimer's, Parkinsen's, etc.  The list is endless 

Oh, and I pray too!  Because even though I was raised in the harsh environment of the Catholic Church, my family had the decency to teach all of us moderation with all the regulations given to us by the Church.  I was taught that God made all things for a reason and most of religious doctrine makes good human beings.  So when any one religion through its churches, temples or synagogues attempts to devalue my worth because of my sexual orientation, I shut them out and turn to my own spirituality that celebrates humanity - no matter what shape or form. 

I think I am a decent and good gay human being and I do hope that God/dess answers my prayers.  If I am wrong on any of my beliefs, please feel free to prove another venue for me to follow.  But, these are some of my OWN beliefs.
 :-\
diagnosed PML Nov 1999

was t-cells 10 and VL 500,000+

as of 11/15/06  - t-cells 789; VL undetectable again and has been since July '01

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Bad American? Good American? or just a human being?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 04:22:11 pm »
I am sorry that someone blasted you for speaking your mind. Whether or not someone agrees with your assessment, it is obvious that you put a great deal of thought into forming your opinions. They ought to be respected as the end result of a great deal of contemplation.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
Re: Bad American? Good American? or just a human being?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 09:46:57 pm »
Like Viet Nam as far as I can see the people going into this war are not from the most privileged parts of America. In fact most of the problems  seem to be dumped on the schleps of this war.
Interesting no high command taking any responsibility so we are seeing badly trained, badly educated people running around in America's name  and yet the president isn't holding the military leaders accountable.
Not to be argumentative ...but
  I was taught that God made all things for a reason
Can you tell me what the purpose of the AIDS virus is?
I was going to say tits on a nun but that's another joke!
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.