Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:59:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 321
Total: 321

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Virulence of HIV has increased since first reports of AIDS  (Read 10225 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Virulence of HIV has increased since first reports of AIDS
« on: November 22, 2011, 01:04:47 pm »
click for full story

Virulence of HIV has increased since first reports of AIDS

HIV may have evolved to become more virulent over the course of the epidemic, according to the results of a meta-analysis published in the online edition of AIDS.

The study estimates that six months after infection, the CD4 cell count of a person infected with HIV in 2010 was likely to stabliise at a level approximately 150 cells below that of a  person infected in the early 1980s. This implies that HIV transmitted in recent years is likely to lead to more rapid development of illness compared with HIV transmitted 30 years ago.

US investigators analysed the results of studies conducted between 1984 and 2010 to see if two key prognostic markers - CD4 cell set point and viral load set-points (the level of CD4 cells and viral load immediately after primary infection) - had changed. All the studies involved patients from North America and Europe and most individuals were therefore infected with HIV-1 subtype B.

Increasing virulence of the virus was suggested by an annual fall in CD4 cell count of approximately 5 cells/mm3 and an increase in viral load set point of 0.013 log10 copies/ml.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline buginme2

Re: Virulence of HIV has increased since first reports of AIDS
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 01:41:04 pm »
My AIDS is stronger than your AIDS  ;D
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 02:03:09 pm »
My AIDS is stronger than your AIDS  ;D

I have uberaids. :P
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 02:07:06 pm »
I have uberaids. :P

Your AIDS is getting on in age, sweetie.

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 02:07:28 pm »
Eeeh. I don't believe this. And this can go tip for tap considering people were getting tested like crazy during the 80's vs. now people aren't getting tested much at all. The media doesn't cover AIDS/HIV much anymore. So the "scare tactics" are no longer there.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 02:08:17 pm »
So you don't believe it or you don't want to believe it?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 02:11:29 pm »
Your AIDS is getting on in age, sweetie.

Yup, it's as old as them thar hills. Conversely, I'm getting younger every day. Oh wait, no, I'm just reverting to my second childhood. Big difference I 'spose.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wolfter

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 02:30:11 pm »
Eeeh. I don't believe this. And this can go tip for tap considering people were getting tested like crazy during the 80's vs. now people aren't getting tested much at all. The media doesn't cover AIDS/HIV much anymore. So the "scare tactics" are no longer there.

What exactly were we geting tested for like crazy for in the 80's?
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 02:31:33 pm »
My AIDS is getting old and tired and don't pack the punch they once had.  Probably too worn out to even infect anyone. ;D
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 03:44:16 pm »
My  HIV/AIDS is only 1 part of my SSDI Disability, the other parts or my mind (cognitive dysfunction) and my failing health issues associated with all of this, so YES Miss P the next time you make fun of me, and tell me I have a learning disability, you aren't really correct, my cognitive dysfunction & short-term memory are very much a part of my SSDI Disability since 1997  :-*
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline elf

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 03:08:45 pm »
My CD4 was down to 353, 6 months after seroconversion and I decided to start taking medicine.
My doctor told me that most people came with CD4 < 200.  :o
Sexually active HIV- people should get tested every 6-8 weeks.

An HIV counselor told me people here don't test at all.
(They had to pay people to get tested in order to get 1000 people for a survey, otherwise
the results wouldn't be statistically significant).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 03:19:31 pm by elf »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 05:37:48 pm »

Sexually active HIV- people should get tested every 6-8 weeks.

6-8 weeks? A bit excessive don't you think? Unless you're taking raw loads up your ass 5 times a night.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 05:55:19 pm »
I would have been offed easily by the wimpiest and feyest of aids.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline james3000

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 06:05:31 pm »
The sensitive nature of tests has evolved over the years = under 50 used to be undetectable now under 20 so really cannot compare tests 20 years apart or even 5 years ( I am NOT a DR) in my opinion.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 06:11:10 pm »
6-8 weeks? A bit excessive don't you think? Unless you're taking raw loads up your ass 5 times a night.

It is. If a person is using condoms consistently, once or twice a year would suffice. You'd only need testing more often if you don't always use condoms.

People who don't get diagnosed until their numbers are in the 200s (or end up in hospital with PCP or similar) usually have either never tested before that point, or haven't tested in years.

edited because I said tested when I meant diagnosed. Slight difference in nuance, ya know.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 06:17:24 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 06:16:45 pm »
The sensitive nature of tests has evolved over the years = under 50 used to be undetectable now under 20 so really cannot compare tests 20 years apart or even 5 years ( I am NOT a DR) in my opinion.
This observation does not have anything to do with the virulence of the HIV virus.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline surf18

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 09:00:02 pm »
i was about 2 years past my last neg test when i was dx'd. had cd 4 of around 224. i was surprised it was so low s o soon so maybe there is something to this .

Offline AlexMerida

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 12:05:27 pm »
The behavior of the virus is not new.
Recently I participate in a study where patients were investigated  (who do not have begun with treatment)  to see that type of ARV is better for the HIV (resistant test). The HIV becomes resistant; this is something that is known for 15 years.

The Dr. Fauci comes fighting to eradicate the HIV and recognizes as they are the problems since it does in an article published in 1999.
Chun TW, Fauci AS. Latent reservoirs of HIV: obstacles to the eradication of virus :o. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999  :o Sep 28;96(20):10958-61. doi:10.1073/pnas.96.20.10958 PMID 10500107o

In other words,  ARV are  better than nothing
Nevertheless according to the Dr. Fauci there is a great success with the “New” treatment of the HIV… clearly taking into account that before ARV people died,

It surprises the declarations of the Dr. Fauci to put money and time in curing other diseases that do not have good treatment to cure, since for the HIV very good treatments exist.

Offline boi2kwik4u

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 10:50:51 pm »
I dunno if I buy it or not.  I could have gone 7+ years w/o getting tested and my VL was still under 50k and CD4 avg 450-600, as it was when I first getting my labs done, while a friend of mine was under 350 after getting first infected.   Everyone's different.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 01:00:14 am »
Do you people realize the difference between statistics and anecdotal formation?

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 02:09:35 am »
Why do researchers believe this is happening so quickly?  Just the natural course of the virus or due to environmental factors--being exposed to hard-hitting meds that are causing it to react by becoming more virulent? 

This may sound like a stupid question and it may be--- Could the immune systems of the older generation be stronger, because they were exposed to more illnesses?  When I talk to my mom, aunts and uncles, I hear how they had the measles, mumps, and even polio.  All of them had hepatitis A at one point growing up.  I believe all my grandparents had TB.  The worst thing most of the younger generation has been sick with is the flu.  Or, would that have no bearing on how well ones immune system is primed for a fight against something like HIV?

Offline buginme2

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 11:42:39 am »
Evolution!!

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.