Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:33:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 802
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 787
Total: 788

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just tested positive 23years old  (Read 5577 times)

Offline newbie123

Just tested positive 23years old
« on: June 13, 2016, 01:57:55 pm »
Hello. I tested positive last Friday. I had risky sex in March and this month I test positive. So I am positive 3 months. My mood is changing all the time. From sad to anger and whatever else... But most of the time I feel good I am surrounded by friends all the time. I can sleep good. The first 2 days were hard. 3rd day I was happy all day and did lots of stuff... Today is the 4th day and I feel a little bit angry and I feel that I don't want to start taking the medication because I feel good. My doctor told me that I can start the treatment right away. But I feel like I don't want to start the treatment. I've read that WHO and many other organizations suggest starting of treatment right away. But I just feel that I don't want to. :/ Do you guys have any recommendation or advises for me? Thank you very much! 

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Just tested positive 23years old
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 03:16:59 pm »
Hi

Welcome to the forum.

If you tested positive 4 days ago have you had confirmation testing done?
Also has your doctor booked you back in for CD4 and Viral load testing ?

If you start treatment or not is up to you, now it is indeed recommend like your Doctor said to start sooner, I mean why wait for damage to occur or to become sick. Your healthy so staying that way would be a smart move from my point of view.

Anyhow welcome to the forum.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline LukasAtlPZ

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 04:04:50 pm »
One of the members of this forum recomends getting your prescription filled, but waiting a couple or three weeks to actually start taking meds. This is so that, once you begin taking meds, you do not get into a situation where you run out.

Offline zach

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 04:37:14 pm »
i'm the guy that recommends stalling a few days to build a stockpile... but three weeks is too long to wait if your doctor thinks you've started and doesn't know you're waiting. doctor will do follow up labs after starting to measure the efficacy of the meds about a month after you start, and if you haven't started, they will interpret your labs incorrectly if you aren't honest with them.

whether or not to start? why would you wait? what would you for? AIDS? AIDS sucks.

every day you're not on meds, HIV is replicating in your body, spreading to new cells and organs, attacking your immune system, and doing unchecked damage. nothing in this world will stop that, except for meds. no prayer, no herbs, nothing.

every day you're not on meds, is one day closer to you getting sick and dying

treatment as prevention is also a concept to consider. with an unchecked viral load, you are infectious. with a suppressed undetectable viral load, you stand next to no chance of passing virus.

it is a big commitment to make, to decide to fight for your life. take that anger out on the bug, hit it as hard as you can. don't get sick and die.

but hey, if you just don't feel like it.

edit: if you'd like some tips on how to build a stockpile. ask when you've got your first bottle of meds in hand. we'll help you lay out the strategy. and go into more detail about the reasons a stockpile can be helpful
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 04:41:39 pm by zach »

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 06:09:51 pm »
My answer about when to start would be a stock : straight away. You may not feel like it is warranted if it is such a new infection but the latest thinking amongst researchers (not proven yet) is that if people start treatment very soon after infection then it will stop HIV getting into 'reservoirs' around the body. Modern HIV treatment is great but these reservoirs are still the reason many people have low-level inflammation which *could* cause some age-related health problems in the future. Starting meds super-early may be huge beneficial in this regard.

I know all the research hasn't been finalised on this, but as there is little down-side with modern meds, and huge potential up-side I would say start as soon as you can.

Of course, all this assumes it really is a very recent infection. I have no reason to doubt you at all, but I would get your numbers (such as CD4 and VL) first and factor this into your decision.

Best of luck
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline newbie123

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 06:11:42 pm »
Thank you for advises guys. Yeah I've got the confirmation today and it is positive. On Wednesday I have appointment to make lab tests about my VL and CD4 count. Regardless of the result they will start treatment on me right away cause they've told me it is a practice now in my country to start right away. And Yeah I've become infected on 10th march 100%. My last negative test was on 20th January.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 06:14:46 pm by newbie123 »

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 06:26:36 pm »
Well you are in good-shape then! As odd as that sounds in the circumstances!
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 01:53:16 pm »

ojo        Hello newbie...welcome...please keep us posted...best of luck       ojo

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.