Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:44:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 652
Total: 652

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cass man talking about Hiv and sex for gay men  (Read 4781 times)

Offline JUSTIN327

Cass man talking about Hiv and sex for gay men
« on: November 23, 2016, 01:43:11 pm »
Please check out the video the late great Cass man a great man and just as awesome fighter for the rights of people in the lgbt and hiv positive communities may he rest in peace please like and or subscribe and feel free to check out my other videos will be posting weekly so stay tuned and stay positive (Pun Intended)  http://youtu.be/X47TYuDorG8

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Cass man talking about Hiv and sex for gay men
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 02:37:22 pm »
Hi Justin,

Don't take my feedback to heart and its not against forum rules to post links to videos unless your getting paid for them or for the views.

I wish you well with your project however a big part of me feels it would be a shame if you are here just to channel traffic to your videos. This is a community and we can offer you and I am sure you us a lot more to offer than just the videos, anyhow I hope you continue to be part of this community.

Like I said don't take my comment to heart and its not meant in a negative way however I felt it needed to be said and I hope you understand my slight concern.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline harleymc

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 04:41:25 am »
The late gentleman's name is "Cass Mann" not "Cass man."

It is good form to spell a person's name correctly.

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 06:30:41 pm »
I've not come across this guy before but watched the video and read a little about him.

Considering the man died in 2009 and I have no idea when this video was made, titling the video 'A gay man speaks out on HIV and AIDS today' is not correct. Lots of things have changed since then.

I actually found some of the stuff he said startling, even taking into account it was 'back then' (although don't know exactly when 'then' was)....

"All gay man getting infected today are getting infected deliberately"

"When the countries leading AIDS charity [must mean Terrence Higgins Trust] says 'we will hallmark a venue where unsafe sex takes place knowing it takes place and allow new infections to occur" indicating that they are encouraging transmission to boost business...

Implies that gay men who get to about 40 don't worry about protection because '40 is the age that gay men start to feel like life isn't worth living'.

States that HIV charities (obviously not his) 'don't care' about people staying safe

"Intelligence is in short supply in the gay community"

Says that you should 'check out' your sexual partner for any signs of being sick before having sex.

Suggests health funding should be refused for people positive who 'go out and get re-infected, co-infected, super-infected'

Now I know things have moved on but for surprisingly someone who ran an HIV/AIDS charity, then he sounds incredibly bitter and wouldn't be someone I would have turned to for support. I would imagine 10 minutes in a room with him and I'd leave thoroughly depressed.

He was described by the OP as a 'great man' and I've no doubt he did good things for the cause back in the day, but this video isn't a great example IMO.

I think knowing an exact date for when his comments were made would be helpful.

EDIT: Found the original video on YouTube. It was in 2008.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 06:55:21 pm by CaveyUK »
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 05:29:35 am »
Now I know things have moved on but for surprisingly someone who ran an HIV/AIDS charity, then he sounds incredibly bitter and wouldn't be someone I would have turned to for support.
I quit watching the video very near the first (although I did jump around in the video, and was turned off by his negative views of gay men, sex, and HIV) when he started with the assumption that gay men (instinctively? magically?) just know about HIV transmission and prevention.

As we approach World AIDS Day (I'm about to speak about the "tools in the HIV prevention toolbox" tonight at a local university for our local WAD event), what I know is that because of poor sex ed in high school, most people (gay and straight) are woefully ignorant about sex, diseases, pregnancy prevention and STD protection. Assuming that people in 2016 (or 2008) just "know" about HIV and how to prevent it is a bad assumption and goes against the wisdom of most modern intervention models and programs.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 06:03:56 am »
I felt depressed seeing the video.
Not the guy l would turn to for help, either.
Japanese National.
Language:  Japanese and English

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.