Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:08:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 371
Total: 371

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Buying overseas in Asia....Truvada or Isentress (or foreign generic equivalent)  (Read 14906 times)

Offline clibro

I travel all over Asia. I was diagnosed positive in December so this will be first time as HIV positive. I go to Philippines alot but also Cambodia,Thailand,India,Nepal, Burma,Laos,Malaysia,Indonesia. Anotherwords,I move around alot and I worry about being somewhere where there are no Aids meds or they are too expensive. Then I would have to leave or wait out the gap without meds! One post said Aids meds are free in Philippines.  Can I get SEVERAL months supply CHEAPLY in a certain Asian country? How much? How many months at a time? Can anyone provide details if that is true? Like where to buy? If its not Truvada or Isentress,do you know foreign name? Any details would be very much appreciated.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
There are generic HIV meds available for cheaper in the developing world. They do have different names. You should probably make sure that they are manufactured by a reputable company. Many of them are made by Cipla, a pharmaceutical company in India which is reputable so if they are made by Cipla it should be fine.

Generic Atripla is called Viraday. I believe Truvada manufactured by Cipla is known as Tenvir EM

I don't think they are making generic Isentress yet, maybe I'm wrong.

Another way to buy these is through reputable mail order pharmacies.

If you search on here for "generic" several threads come up with more info.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Welcome.
It's not clear if you are taking HAART already.
If so, what is your current source and why isnt it enough for your travels.

If not, what makes you think during your travel that you will suddenly need HAART.  It you don't need HAART now, then usually there will be no sudden, instant need for it.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline clibro

I plan to travel for over a year and the best Truvada can do here is 3 months if you tell them you are going overseas. Otherwise,its a month in the states. Please forgive my ignorance but I do not know what HAART means.  When I get to Thailand (since along with India),it has best hospitals so I will check levels there. Basically, I am hoping to buy 6 months supply in some southeastern asian country (which?) cheaply and with little hassle.  Is Isentress sold under that name if there is no generic?

Offline Boze

I plan to travel for over a year and the best Truvada can do here is 3 months if you tell them you are going overseas. Otherwise,its a month in the states. Please forgive my ignorance but I do not know what HAART means.  When I get to Thailand (since along with India),it has best hospitals so I will check levels there. Basically, I am hoping to buy 6 months supply in some southeastern asian country (which?) cheaply and with little hassle.  Is Isentress sold under that name if there is no generic?

Haart is the term for HIV treatment - the cocktails.

Isentress is a new drug and is very, very expensive. As far as I know there are no generic alternatives. Therefore I would advise you to take Atripla. There is a generic variant available at a reasonable cost from online pharmacies. I've read some people on the forums buying it. I personally would be very cautious - just because if the pill is not legit you would have no way of knowing if it's working without a Viral Load test.

Have you considered getting someone to ship you the drugs from the States?
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Mar10 - Diagnosis; cd4 690 - VL 19,000
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jun10 - started Atripla ; VL 113
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Aug 10 - UD, CD4 810, 52%
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline mecch

HAART = Highly Active Anti Retroviral Therapy - tritherapy.

Just so the members in this forum from the east can perhaps give you more information - maybe you could clarify - so you are taking tri-therapy already???  And what drugs?  Are you living in the US now.  So name the drugs you currently take and what you think you will need.

Truvada and Isentress?  I don't think Isentress is produced yet in India. They make generic "atripla".

There are a couple of members from Thailand and also from India.  I guess they will come in this thread eventually.  How urgent is your need?  When will you travel and when will you run out of your medicine?  

By the way, welcome, again, and usually new members introduce themselves a bit so we can orient a bit our reponses to you.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

Therefore I would advise you to take Atripla. There is a generic variant available at a reasonable cost from online pharmacies. I've read some people on the forums buying it. I personally would be very cautious - just because if the pill is not legit you would have no way of knowing if it's working without a Viral Load test.

Borzel, don't go making recommendations like this to a newbie - we don't know ANYTHING about his medication needs and efavirenz is NOT an automatic replacement for isentress.  And we don't even know if he is on Isentress.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 09:46:06 pm by mecch »

Offline Boze

Makes sense, I assumed a few things that should be checked.
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Mar10 - Diagnosis; cd4 690 - VL 19,000
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jun10 - started Atripla ; VL 113
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Aug 10 - UD, CD4 810, 52%
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline clibro

I was diagnosed positive in December. Before my Travada and Isentress meds, my CD-4 count was 48. Its been climbing ever since and is now 650. I was also diagnosed with CMV,(relatively rare disease). For last 2 months,I finally got my appetite back and now I eat more than usual going from 148 lbs. to 172 in that time. My only complaints now from the Truvada,I assume is soft stools (not diarrhea) and an urge to make 4 or 5 trips to bathroom within a 30 minute period--thats it for the day. Also,periodic gas.

I am still hoping that I can hear from a souheastern Asian traveler who can say something like...go to this country,this city,this pharmacy,etc. and pay this for X amount of Truvada (new names) and Isentress. Sometimes, I stay in one place but alot of the time, I backpack to where it can be difficult to have it mailed to me.

Offline clibro

Also my viral load is currently undetectable.

Offline mecch

OK that clarifies.  I am not a really long term member of this forum but I will private message people who are and ask them how to identify people from the countries.  Get back to you shortly.

It would also help if you post an intro in "I JUST TESTED POZ" to get attention for your questions.

Also, sounds like a great reponse!  Congratuations.  And are you already strong enough to go backpacking around the world. Or is that part of your job so you must?  Bravo to you.  And by the way, there is no generic isentress so you will really have to discuss this travel and your medicine needs with your doctor, so you can be sure that, for instance, you know if you have any resistances to certain medicine. 

You will need a list of drugs that might be available and that will ALSO be effective against your HIV, cause you dont want to screw up your great undetectable result - you have to keep taking a tritherapy combination that works on your virus - not any old drug on the market.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:33:58 am by mecch »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Hi clibro, welcome to the forums.

I really rather doubt that you will be able to obtain Isentress in SE Asia as it is one of the newer drugs.

As Borzel says, there is another combo that is widely available in Asia. In its one-pill form, it is called Atripla in the West. The Asian equivalent is called Viraday and is manufactured by Cipla - a reputable Indian pharmaceutical company.

Atripla/Viraday is a combination of three drugs, two of which you are already taking. The one different drug is called Sustiva - its generic name is efavirenz and its brand name in Asia is Stocrin.

You may want to discuss with your doctor the possibility of switching to the Atripla/Viraday combo as it readily available (and fairly cheap, by Western standards) in Asia. If you suffer from depression, the Sustiva/Stocrin/efavirenz element of this combo might not be for you, but many people take Sustiva (Atripla) with no problems. Also, it's a once-a-day dosing combo and that might be easier for you while travelling.

If you want to read more about Sustiva/Atripla, have a look at the Treatments for hiv pages found elsewhere on this website.

You may get more responses to your questions if this thread were in the Living section of the forums. I can move it there for you if you want - let me know.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
The link below allows you to do searches based on countries and cities for HIV services throughout the world:

http://aidsmap.com/cms1038779.asp

Offline joeyg624

hi guys:

i was om atripla during my first month of being diagnosed as HIV+ (April 2010) and i was really happy with the results (CD4 went up from 60 to 130; VL went down from 256,000 to 724)... but i have to switch to viraday because of limited insurance coverage and i am still waiting for my adap to push through... if there are other guys here on viraday, i would appreciate knowing what this drug from cipla has done for them...

thanks!
Apr 10 CD4 60 VL 256,000
May 10 CD4 130 VL 724
Aug 10 CD4 188  VL <75
Nov 10 CD4 170  VL <75
Mar 11 CD4 272 VL <48
Aug 11 CD4 272 VL <20
Nov 11 CD4 267 VL <20
Mar 12 CD4 297 VL <20
Nov 12 CD4 312 VL <20

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
hi guys:

i was om atripla during my first month of being diagnosed as HIV+ (April 2010) and i was really happy with the results (CD4 went up from 60 to 130; VL went down from 256,000 to 724)... but i have to switch to viraday because of limited insurance coverage and i am still waiting for my adap to push through... if there are other guys here on viraday, i would appreciate knowing what this drug from cipla has done for them...

thanks!

They might not see this post from you. You might want to start a new thread and/or you can do searches for "Viraday" and "generic Atripla" and several previous threads will come up.

Viraday is basically the same thing as Atripla so there's no reason to believe it won't work. I personally would have no hesitation going on it.

The important thing is that you just don't stop Atripla now that you have started since that could lead to resistance due to the varying half lives of the drugs.

Will you be able to continue treatment uninterrupted?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:31:27 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline joeyg624

thanks for the advice... right now, i am continuing my medication with viraday, which i buy using money from my own pocket
Apr 10 CD4 60 VL 256,000
May 10 CD4 130 VL 724
Aug 10 CD4 188  VL <75
Nov 10 CD4 170  VL <75
Mar 11 CD4 272 VL <48
Aug 11 CD4 272 VL <20
Nov 11 CD4 267 VL <20
Mar 12 CD4 297 VL <20
Nov 12 CD4 312 VL <20

Offline mecch

Cool. and great results.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.