Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:28:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 465
Total: 465

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Loss of job, loss of insurance, loss of ny area  (Read 2733 times)

Offline motherinneed

Loss of job, loss of insurance, loss of ny area
« on: March 20, 2007, 09:48:26 am »
My son was fired this past week. That is not my major concern. Please advise me...  HOW does one maintain his medication regimen when one no longer has health insurance? I think in NY that may be less difficult, but he may no longer be able to live in NY so I need some advice from NJ people please.

Just as a point so there is no misunderstanding.. It is me, the mother, asking these questions. My son is not aware of my need to search out this information. It is me that needs to know from you all that there is hope for certain situations. This is the best place I have found to find hope.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Loss of job, loss of insurance, loss of ny area
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 10:03:00 am »
http://www.atdn.org/access/states/nj/nj.html

This summarizes NJ's ADAP program and provides a link to the actual state web site.

However, if he's not yet moved to NJ I'd advise going ahead and enrolling in New York's ADAP program immediately anyway, and dealing with terminating IF he actually moves as there is a 30-day wait to prove your residency in New Jersey.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 10:10:29 am »
Hey Mom (that sounds odd doesn't it?)

Anyway, first things first. Your son should have received or will receive a packet for COBRA, which is an acronym for something, but means he can continue his insurance as long as he pays the premiums.

Next, contact his ASO. Many agencies have insurance assistance programs that will pay the COBRA premiums for the client. In the long run, it is cost effective for them and the state.

This should work whether your son stays in New York or moves to New Jersey. I know the ASO here will pay COBRA for clients who moved back here from out-of-state.

There are some caveats though. Your son will have only a certain length of time to complete the COBRA paperwork. He must meet that timetable and may have to prod his former employer if he doesn't receive the paperwork in a reasonable time.

This happened to me. Because the former employer was delayed, I had to pay two months premiums myself because the insurance assistance program wouldn't pay the past-due premiums that resulted from my employers tardiness. If memory serves, that was nearly $1,000 at that time.

Your son should already have been in contact with his ASO to see what is available. If he hasn't, he should do so post haste.

Before he relocates, he also should check out the services in New Jersey or wherever, and make sure there are no residency requirements such as "must have lived in the state for six months."

I hope this helps.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 10:19:29 am »
Next, contact his ASO. Many agencies have insurance assistance programs that will pay the COBRA premiums for the client. In the long run, it is cost effective for them and the state.

I agree with the advice from philly267 and aztecan. In addition I would gather information from the ASO about Medicaid for HIV-positive people in New Jersey and New York

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 11:19:47 am »
Yes, I know New York state pays for COBRA as I had to have that done at one point.  Have no clue though about New Jersey.  And I'm not sure how much information about NJ an ASO in NY is going to know or even be willing to give you.  You can always try going to a NJ based ASO even though he doesn't yet live there and just trying to find out some preliminary information.  I did that here in Pennsylvania about three months before I actually moved here.  It helped slightly as the ASO let me go ahead and get enough info so that when I moved things were enough in place that there was not much delay in approval.  The way the NYC/NJ are is incredibly intertwined, unlike many metropolitan areas that are just in one state, I'm sure they are quite used to this issue and will be helpful.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline purplerain

• finally figured out the pic thing
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 09:51:39 pm »
Mom I don't have any advice on your current situation but I couldn't resist taking a moment and saying that I find it extremely touching (got me a little teary) 2 see your unconditional support 4 your son.  I am fortunate enough 2 have that same support from my mother and maybe it's being the only child 2 a single mother or that mother son bond whatever it is reading your post warmed me from head 2 toe even though it was a cry 4 help.  I just want 2 say that no matter what happens with your son's situation having a mother like U on his side takes away part of his struggle and 4 that I applaud U.  We are always quick 2 point out when people walk away from us today I want 2 embrace those that stay close..... Here's 2 U and I wish your son nothing but the best.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 12:51:09 pm »
When speaking to an ASO, the first meeting will most likely be required to be in person and bring proof of HIV status. In person is best anyway because you can ask for printed materials you can take home with you. I would add go with a spiral notebook to jot down things they tell you, especially if what they say (1) doesn't sit well with you, (2) is confusing or (3) said too fast, etc. Share with us here as you see fit, and we might be able to make things easier for you to understand
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 01:17:31 pm by allopathicholistic »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.