Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:47:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 177
Total: 179

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 21 Years Positive and Somehow Still Alive!  (Read 7142 times)

Offline iPOZ

• HIV + since 1/1988
21 Years Positive and Somehow Still Alive!
« on: March 08, 2009, 02:16:06 pm »
Well, I made it another year. I have now been HIV positive for 21 years. I either have really good genes or I'm just the luckiest bastard on earth! My first partner of 8 years passed away on April 19, 1995 from AIDS and I figured I wouldn't be far behind him. Now I have been with my 2nd partner for nearly 9 years (he is negative, thanks goodness) and it looks like I'm still going strong. My CD4 counts are low (142) but my viral load is undetectable. I'm only on Atripla right now. I really like Atripla since I only have to take 1 pill, 1 time a day. It's excellent! No side affects at all! I have a great job and I'm in school working on my MBA. One of these days I'll be really smart.  ;D Perhaps I will get lucky and live to see the day when they figure out how to cure AIDS, but I'm not holding my breath. I just hope I can make it another 21 years without getting sick. I have found that eating right, exercising 4 times a week, and not drinking alcohol at all, and a constant positive attitude seem to be helping me stay in pretty good shape. At the ripe age of 44 I think I feel better than I ever have. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bragging because I really do feel so fortunate that I made it this far, and I know that at any moment I could get sick and it will all be over. I'm just happy that I can sit here and write this and I hope the best for all of you who read this. Take care.

Jim

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: 21 Years Positive and Somehow Still Alive!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 02:22:18 pm »
Congrats, iPoz.  We must be soul sisters because I'm in my 21st year too, and we're both the exact same age :)

Here's to 21 more years for you.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mjmel

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 02:44:47 pm »
Congrats in reaching the hallmark and revelling it and welcome to the forum.

I sometimes consider the way things have worked out too.....that I've also continued to endure and enjoy life well beyond expectations. Tested hiv+ in '89.

Mike

Offline jayjax

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 05:21:31 pm »
Congrats and thanks  for sharing this IPoz.  It's very encouraging to read stories, comments and suggestions from all the LTS.
08 Oct 08:  Diagnosed
18 Oct 08:  1st Lab Work: CD4 - 268, VL 7,000
18 Nov 08:  Started Atripla
28 Jan 09:   CD4 - 195, VL 70
05 May 09:  CD4 - 201, VL = Undetectable
16 Aug 09: CD4 - 235, VL = Undetectable
30 Nov 09 CD4 - 300, VL = Undetectable
30 Mar 10 CD4 - 305, VL = Undetectable
27 Jul 10 CD4 -  301, VL = 100
13 Aug 10 -- Switched to Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
30 Sep 10 --  CD4 598, VL = Undetectable

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 06:33:25 pm »
I have found that eating right, exercising 4 times a week, and not drinking alcohol at all, and a constant positive attitude seem to be helping me stay in pretty good shape..

Jim

Hello Jim,

I couldn't agree with you more.  Welcome !!  This October will mark my 24th year, There are good days and bad days, but overall things are going pretty well, and I am always looking toward the future !!

Take care----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline lforsyth

• Standard
  • Instaurator Ruinae
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 09:13:54 am »
Glad you are doing well.

Anonymous testing wasn't available in Long Beach until 1986 when I found out. Every guy I had relationships with from 1980 forward were all positive also. I've survived all of my family that thought they would be taking care of me.
Tested POZ in 1986, knew there was something wrong in 1985. 04/2010 CD4: 975 Viral Load undetectable. Prezista, Norvir, Truvada, Acyclovir, Plavix, Lisinopril, Metoprolol and a bedtime snack of Lipitor (YUM)

Offline PRMike

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 11:27:10 am »
Hi iPOZ, welcome and I too have wondered how I have survived for these past 29 years, to be honest I should be dead because i had been using Drugs for a very long time and I even tried to take my life but I guess GOD has a purpose for me to live, Or at least that's what I've been told,, my health is great my T-cells are in the 521 to upper 400's and I have been Undectable ever since I quit using Drugs and I only got sick once and that was because I went back to using Drugs which made my t-cells drop to 6 and Viral load 400,000 +
so it's not bragging but we hace to be grateful that we're still here..
I have seen many come and Go..
so please hang in there We can Make it...
ok bye for now always your friend PRMike
PRMike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.