Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:20:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773211
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 452
Total: 455

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Aussie Scientists Make Important Discovery About HIV Latency  (Read 7847 times)

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Aussie Scientists Make Important Discovery About HIV Latency
« on: September 20, 2010, 11:13:24 am »
HIV discovery brings new way to finding a cure

Melbourne researchers have made a major discovery in the fight against HIV leading to the possibility of an eventual cure.

In research published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science (PNAS) this week, scientists at Monash University, the Burnet Institute and The Alfred have identified the mechanism of how HIV enters resting cells -- the main cell that persists in patients on anti-HIV treatment.

Monash University Professor and Co-Head of the Burnet Institute's Centre for Virology and Director of The Alfred's Infectious Diseases Unit, Sharon Lewin said one of the major barriers to curing HIV has been the mystery of how resting cells are infected and how the virus can lie hidden for years in these cells, despite prolonged treatment with anti-HIV drugs.

"Our team of researchers has now identified the path by which the virus can infect resting CD4-T cells and establish latency," Professor Lewin said.

Latency is the ability of HIV to integrate its genetic material into the genome of resting memory CD4-T-cells where it remains dormant but able to reactivate at some point causing the virus to start replicating.

"We have shown that a family of proteins, called chemokines, that guide resting cells through the blood and into lymph node tissue can 'unlock the door' and allow HIV to enter and set up a silent or "latent" infection.

"Once HIV gets into these cells, the virus can then go to sleep. These "silently" infected cells are not cleared by anti-HIV drugs or the immune system. Once a patient stops the anti-HIV drugs, the virus can then wake up and gets going again".

"Understanding this mechanism will enable new treatment options to be developed which could block latent infection. This new laboratory model of latent HIV infection can also be used to screen drugs that may one day eliminate latent infection," co-author and Monash clinical immunologist Dr Paul Cameron said.

The research was a collaborative effort involving scientists from the Burnet Institute, The Alfred, Monash University, University of Montreal, Canada and the Westmead Millennium Research Institute in Sydney.

LINK:

http://www.healthcanal.com/medical-breakthroughs/10840-HIV-discovery-brings-new-way-finding-cure.html

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: Aussie Scientists Make Important Discovery About HIV Latency
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 12:01:41 pm »
Very interesting indeed, and quite good news.

... will enable new treatment options to be developed which could block latent infection. - However isn't latency achieved in the first few days/weeks of infection? Also, isnt the turnover of these latent celll so slow that blocking further infection after the original infection would have minimal effect?

However, This I love..

This new laboratory model of latent HIV infection can also be used to screen drugs that may one day eliminate latent infection," - meaning it could clear an already Latent infection?

Always good to see progress on these things.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline LPinUK

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 12:41:14 pm »
Wish I had a pound for everytime I read a story like this, I could retire from my job.
Diagnosed Poz September 2003, Current Regimen Truvada & Sustiva.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 02:39:54 pm »
My similar reaction:

"Prof Lewin said understanding how the virus achieved this should speed up the development of new and more potent treatments for HIV, that could possibly block the virus from establishing latency while also targeting its more active presence in the body."

PEP stops the virus from establishing latency. 
Current HAART targets its active presence in the body.

All news is good news but lets hear how this discovery leads to treatment that clears reservoirs.  Snooze
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline lmdo

• 35 years old
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 07:54:08 pm »
It's sad how cynical some people are - if there are dedicated people who are working hard to make lives better for so many, and these scientists themselves are optimistic about finding a cure, then we should be encouraged, not disparaging.
I understand some people might have had their hopes dashed in the past but some people, myself included need HOPE.
 :)

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 10:44:35 pm »
It's sad how cynical some people are - if there are dedicated people who are working hard to make lives better for so many, and these scientists themselves are optimistic about finding a cure, then we should be encouraged, not disparaging.
I understand some people might have had their hopes dashed in the past but some people, myself included need HOPE.
 :)

You are a new member here.  So welcome.
Start off on the right food foot and don't judge people for being cynical.  
Willy and I both said all good news is welcome but also explained how this news isn't some fantastic discovery.  You insisted in the other thread we all need to be cheering it.  
There is a certain kind of "public relationy" research announcement that scientists put out - reporting progress, discoveries, hope for the future research, etc.  
OF COURSE buidling hope and always adding to the research is good.
Some people with long experience reading such "announcements" or the articles in newspapers that report on the announcements - can quickly figure out if the PR discourse is worthy.  They aren't knocking the research, dear.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 08:19:44 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline lmdo

• 35 years old
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 06:44:08 pm »
Hi,
Thanks Mecch.
Point taken - I suppose I just jump at this sort of news and talk of a cure and hope that it is achievable.
I am struggling with things recently and frightened of facing a life of sickness.
My partner is getting treatment for throat cancer HPV related at the age of 37 so right now I suppose I needed to be positive about things.
If only more $ could go into research I'm sure advances could help us all.
Thanks

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 08:23:48 am »

I am struggling with things recently and frightened of facing a life of sickness.

Thats awful news about your partner!  
Try not to extrapolate from some people's sicknesses to yourself.
How long have you been HIV+?
Do you live in a situation in which you will have access to doctors and drugs for the future?  If you do, then you shouldn't be "facing a life of sickness".   Really HAART works quite well.  HIV+ people have a lot to deal with but a lot of HIV+ people who have health care and follow it are not sick, and feeling quite well.  Really.

Offline lmdo

• 35 years old
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 07:46:38 am »
I have been positive for 4 years and started HAART in June this year when my Tcells dropped to 220.
My partner has been positive for 9 years and is on HAART. His T cells are 500 now but his cancer diagnosis is such a shock and frightens me.
We live in Australia and have access to medications and doctors.
My recent bloods were 310. I worry about cancer. My partner should be OK but the doctors cannot tell us much about HPV and the risks of future cancers. His success rate with radiotherapy is over 90% and he has 1 more week to go.
I am really clinging to the belief that 1 day there will be a cure. I know that people might find it hard to believe that this might be possible given the fact that medicine has not been able to cure a virus yet, but I am reading some hopeful opinions of researchers.
I am 36 and he is 37. I want to spend many many years with him enjoying a healthy life without being frightened.
Part of the problem is not being able to discuss this (my or his status) with anyone.
Starting meds for me was difficult. But it is good to find this site where there are so many people in the same situation.

Offline pozoz

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 12:27:43 am »
Go Aussies!!!!

I believe they are trying very hard. But understand Mecch"s view also.

I'm also in Australia, and have seen the dedication of the Professors and others at the Immunology Clinics in the major cities public hospitals.

They are passionate and must believe they will get somewhere with this, or they would not even be trying...

Imdo, best of luck with your situation, and again I agree with Mecch, and agree the meds WILL keep you healthy..... I also hope and try to believe there is a cure coming. In my lifetime? Maybe not, but we'll see...

Peace ...
Seroconverted Aug 2008
Tested Pos      May 2009
Verimune XR / Descovy
 576  34%. U/D

Offline jay195

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 06:49:17 pm »
Imdo,sorry to hear about your situation and I hope things work get better for you as I'm sure they will.

I really do believe that a cure is in the pipeline.I have said this before and I say it again.I firmly believe that a cure for HIV is close at hand.

Have faith.

Jay xx

Offline lmdo

• 35 years old
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 07:59:45 pm »
Thanks guys.
About the cure - if it is close - within the next 5 years - 10 years - 15 years, there is a big difference there!
We need strong advocates that push for this work to proceed - the current meds are not ideal. Sure they might expect a full life expectancy if you can keep your cd4 count above 500 - but does that include the risk of dying of cancer / heart disease / other things that are not considered to be AIDS but are proven risk factors from HIV or the meds??
Let's keep pushing for a HIV cure - I want more $ going towards cure research and am trying to find out where I can direct donations best for cure research - prevention / vaccine research etc. gets plenty of funding already...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.