Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:23:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 457
Total: 458

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ADAP Watch List Updates November 2012  (Read 4615 times)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
ADAP Watch List Updates November 2012
« on: November 20, 2012, 01:26:03 pm »
New Information from NASTAD:
(National Alliance of State and Territoral AIDS Directors)

As of November 15, 2012, there are 87 individuals on ADAP waiting lists in five (5) states.  North Carolina eliminated their waiting list as of November 2 and Georgia and Florida are currently enrolling new clients into their programs and do not have any individuals on their waiting lists. However, they remain listed as they have not formally closed their waiting lists. Idaho has eight individuals on their waiting list which was reestablished in October. Louisiana and South Dakota have added 28 and five individuals, respectively, to their waiting lists.

The receipt of $75 million in ADAP Emergency Relief Funding (ERF) has allowed many states to make significant reductions in their waiting list numbers, but the potential for new waiting lists developing this fiscal year (ending March 31, 2013) continues.  Two states currently report having capped enrollments, and another anticipates opening a wait list in 2013.

ADAP enrollment is not static and ADAPs continue to experience increased strain on their programs due to continued enrollment of individuals based on increased efforts to identify new individuals living with HIV or re-engagement of individuals lost to care as part the National HIV/AIDS Strategy. Even with the recent receipt of ERF, some states are not able to eliminate their waiting lists entirely.

House and Senate leaders passed and the President signed a six month Continuing Resolution (CR) that funds the government through March 2013 at the Budget Control Act level.  This CR does have a minimal increase of 0.6 percent from FY2012 which may provide a slight increase to overall ADAP funding.  However, formula calculations associated with the Ryan White Program may result in fluctuations in ADAP funding for various jurisdictions.

In an effort to streamline and assist clients in need of medications, The Common Patient Assistance Program Application (CPAPA) was launched on September 12 and is now available on the NASTAD website or at http://hab.hrsa.gov/patientassistance/index.html. This single common application allows uninsured individuals living with HIV and/or their providers/caregivers to use one application to apply for multiple patient assistance programs (PAPs) that together provide an entire course of antiretroviral therapy. To see additional information on pharmaceutical company patient assistance or co-payment assistance programs, please visit the Positively Aware website or the Fair Pricing Coalition’s website.

ADAPs with Waiting Lists as of November 15, 2012
87 individuals in 5 states

STATEAMOUNTCHANGE
Florida0-58
Georgia00
Idaho8+8
Louisiana**58+28
South Dakota21+5
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline jimbalaya

Re: ADAP Watch List Updates November 2012
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 09:33:59 am »
Thanks for always posting these updates....i'm especially intrigued as i live in Florida and this is the first time that we've had 0 on the waiting list, since I was dxd.  As someone who has really good group insurance through work, the only thing I pay out of pocket is the $1K a year deductible (for bloodwork, etc), my meds are covered through insurance and co-pay cards....and of course I pay all of the Dr.'s co-pays.....is there benefit for me to apply for ADAP?  I am not sure if they would cover the $1200 or so per year that I have for deductibles and co-pays....I wouldn't want to apply if i would 'take money away' from someone else that really needs it, but money is always tight so if I could eliminate that little bit of extra cost, that would be great too.......thanks,

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 11:29:27 am »
is there benefit for me to apply for ADAP?  I am not sure if they would cover the $1200 or so per year that I have for deductibles and co-pays....I wouldn't want to apply if i would 'take money away' from someone else that really needs it, but money is always tight so if I could eliminate that little bit of extra cost, that would be great too
according to the Florida website (http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Disease_ctrl/aids/care/adap.html) making under 400% FPL ($3170 a month) is the eligibility requirement. If you meet that requirement then you aren't taking money away from someone else, you are receiving a benefit for which you are eligible. Matter of fact if ADAP only has to cover sort part of your insurance costs (deductible, copay, premium), instead of purchasing your meds outright, then you actually use less ADAP funding than other people and allow someone else to get some ADAP coverage also.

Besides your situation seems like one of the prime reasons ADAP was created. By helping you to have easy, comprehension, regular access to your medications, not only will that result in your remaining UD and less likely to transmit HIV, but you will remain healthier, continue working, continue paying your taxes - which in turn pays for your ADAP coverage.  ;)

by the way those are all the arguments I have used for several years when speaking with State Legislators about why they need to properly fund ADAP in each year's budget. IF you do go on ADAP, I would suggest that after a while you write, call or visit your State Legislators and use your story to help educate them about why ADAP funding is necessary and useful in your state.  ;) Maybe even do like we (the state HIV task force in SC) and send your Legislators a thank you card encouraging them to keep funding ADAP because of how it has helped you remain a productive citizen pay taxes. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 07:37:53 pm »
send your Legislators a thank you card encouraging them to keep funding ADAP because of how it has helped you remain a productive citizen pay taxes. ;)

You pay taxes, Mikie?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 09:20:09 pm »
You pay taxes, Mikie?
sure. Everyone pays some sort of taxes.

However what I was referring to were the federal taxes that a working HIV+ person (such as the OP) would pay. Those taxes go back in the federal budget contributing to the federal Ryan White Act that funds state ADAP allowing the OP (and others like him) to continue to be healthy, to continue working and to be able to pay federal taxes.

does that help you understand now?
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.