Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:16:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773216
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 534
Total: 537

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Quick awnswer please  (Read 5000 times)

Offline tommy246

• Standard
Quick awnswer please
« on: December 08, 2009, 05:40:13 pm »
Its bedtime here in spain and im travelling in the early hours i left a pill by the side of my bed and packed my pill box about 10 pm , its now 11pm my pill has gone but i cant remember taking it . im 90 % i must of and its not on the floor i think i took it subconciously watching the football.Im taking atripla for 28 days now, what should be done in these circumstances , thanks
jan 06 neg
dec 08 pos cd4 505 ,16%, 1,500vl
april 09 cd4 635 ,16%,60,000
july 09 ,cd4 545,17%,80,000
aug 09,hosptal 18days pneumonia cd190,225,000,15%
1 week later cd4 415 20%
nov 09 cd4 591 ,vl 59,000,14%,started atripla
dec 09  cd4 787, vl 266, 16%
march 2010  cd4 720 vl non detectable -20  20%
june 2010  cd4  680, 21%, ND

Offline RapidRod

Re: Quick awnswer please
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 06:14:28 pm »
Skip it and start again tomorrow.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 06:47:31 pm »
If you were already undetectable and had been on meds for a while then missing a dose would not be a huge concern.

If I were in your shoes and I really was not sure if I took it, I would probably not take another one tonight but I would take one in the morning tomorrow and then continue tomorrow night with my regular dose.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 06:49:25 pm »
If you were already undetectable and had been on meds for a while then missing a dose would not be a huge concern.

If I were in your shoes and I really was not sure if I took it, I would probably not take another one tonight but I would take one in the morning tomorrow and then continue tomorrow night with my regular dose.
Atripla is only taken once a day.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 06:51:05 pm »
Atripla is only taken once a day.

I know. I'd rather err on the side of having a little more in my system as opposed to not having enough.

I agree with skipping it till tomorrow as you suggested if the person is undetectable but tommy started taking meds recently and he may not yet be undetectable.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 06:53:20 pm »
Not so. Atripla has a long half life.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 07:03:31 pm »
Not so. Atripla has a long half life.

I am saying what I would do, if I absolutely was not sure I had taken it and if I was  not yet undetectable. As I mentioned before, if I was undetectable then I would skip it till tomorrow night.

It's a whole different ballgame when a person has a viral load as opposed to when a person is undetectable.

Even though Atripla has a decent half life you need a certain level of it in your system for it to be able to work and the big question here in tommy's particular case is that he might not yet be undetectable since he started recently.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 07:05:08 pm »
What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the medicine at the next regularly scheduled time. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.

What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine. Overdose can cause uncontrolled muscle movements.

http://www.drugs.com/atripla.html

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 07:10:58 pm »
What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the medicine at the next regularly scheduled time. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.

http://www.drugs.com/atripla.html

"What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember."

My suggestion to take it tomorrow morning is perfectly in line with this recommendation, since he's not sure if he missed the dose.  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:17:59 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 07:15:49 pm »
"What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember."[/b]

My suggestion to take it tomorrow morning is perfectly in line with this recommendation.
That is not what you stated. You stated
which is incorrect.

Do not double the next dose. Carry on with your regular dosing schedule.  http://packageinserts.bms.com/ppi/ppi_atripla.pdf

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 07:20:25 pm »
So, it seems to me that the OP isn't sure that he did miss a dose.  He doesn't remember taking it, but the pill wasn't were he left it.  In all probability, he did take it.  It seems most reasonable to me, to assume that it's been taken and take your next dose tomorrow.  Even if a dose was missed, it is not likely to have an impact -- regardless of viral load.

What this DOES show you Tommy, is that a pill box is your best friend.  However, you should swallow the pill(s) as soon as you remove it from the box.  This way you will never have a doubt.  It's a very good habit to get into.

Mike

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 07:25:40 pm »
What this DOES show you Tommy, is that a pill box is your best friend.  However, you should swallow the pill(s) as soon as you remove it from the box.  This way you will never have a doubt.  It's a very good habit to get into.

Very true. In all likelihood he did take it, as you say, so this is all kinda moot. It's a good lesson for having a better system in place.

Offline StacheBC

• Hello
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 10:35:14 pm »
Take it... don't take it... not really sure what I would do. Since Tommy has recently started Atripla... if he is like me, after an hour of taking the pill... I get a slight dizziness... nothing major but after an hour I can tell if I took the pill or not.

But agree with Inchlingblue... I would get a better system in place, since we're all human and mistakes can happen. I know that leaving pills on the side table would increase my chances of missing doses.
I have a 7 day pill box... that I fill up every Sunday. Pill only comes out when I have a glass of water ready to take it. 
Low tech, but seems to work great.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 10:37:39 pm »
If you are sure you put the pill on the table, and you have looked around on the floor, in the bed, etc..and you dont have a dog or other animal that might have swallowed it then I would say you could safely assume you took it. Just keep on with your regular dosing schedule. Also, if you count your pills, then go ahead and count what you packed in your pill box, maybe you just "thought" that you laid it out on the table.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 11:37:44 pm »
I've heard the same thing about Atripla--it has long half life.  I've actually heard of some docs allowing their patients to take the weekends off.  I got resistant to the Sustiva in it because the hospital gave me 4 days of it without my knowledge.  Because I didn't need meds yet, there was no plan to continue. 

I've thought when I do start meds, I'd take them at night before bed.  Now, I'm thinking what if ya fall asleep on the couch watching TV.  Or, what if you're tired and can't remember whether you've taken it already.  I run into this a lot with other meds--did I already take that?  When I had back surgery, I would sometimes find a pain pill in my hand in the morning.  I must have gotten up in pain and got a pill, but just never took it.  I swear--I was not high on pills.  Very strange.

Anyway, I think you probably took it.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 12:01:47 am »
I run into this a lot with other meds--did I already take that? 
dude, definitely get yourself a pill box ;), then you won't have to worry about any of those hypotheticals. You'll sleep easier. ;D Or if worse comes to worse, do what we did in the old days and set an alarm to go off and take your meds then. And be thankful you won't have to be resetting that alarm for every four hours 24/7. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.