Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:53:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773195
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 425
Total: 428

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Very Concerned about HIV infection  (Read 3782 times)

Offline pliskinss

• Standard
Very Concerned about HIV infection
« on: May 10, 2019, 10:50:08 am »
I'm a bi-sexual man who recently had anal sex with another man (giving not taking). It didn't last that long. Roughly around 2 mins before I realized this was a mistake since I did not have protection. Also I do not know this person and do not know how to contact them again. At any rate the interaction was quite brief.

Though a couple of hours afterwards upon thinking about it. I felt that what I did was way too risky. I went to the hospital where I was able to ask for PREP and also got a shot and some medicine for some other possible STDs. I wasn't able to get PREP till a day and a half later, but I've been on it. I made it in the 72 hour period.

Though, I have been very concerned lately as just days after the incident (2/3 days really) it seems like I'm already showing signs. I have a persistent sore throat and my legs have been feel quite sore since (heavy might be better way to describe them). I know I've read that symptoms should not be showing up this soon, but I can't help but wonder what else could it be?

The sore throat is still on going and I definitely have a cough going. Like I said it's only been 4 days since the incident, and I've been on PREP since a day and a half after the incident.

Right now I just feel like everything is a mess. I don't know what to think of it. I'm trying to just stay optimistic and live a day at a day, but it's rough.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated during this time.

Thanks.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Very Concerned about HIV infection
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 11:10:51 am »
Hiya,

Relax already.

You started PEP its highly effective and, if what you posted is true and your only sexual exposure then I fully expect when you do test, to test negative.  So relax, continue to take the PEP for the 28/30 days its been prescribed and simply test at 6 weeks post finishing PEP to confirm your HIV negative status with an approved antibodies test, if you want a conclusive result than also test to confirm at 3 months post PEP.

Your symptoms well, it simply they have nothing to do with HIV from this encounter. Stop focusing on it instead see your GP if you feel unwell.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection going forward

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as safe in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for acquiring far easier to transmit STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted

P.S.
You mentioned PrEP. I think your mean PEP

To explain PEP vs PrEP: PEP stands for post-exposure prophylaxis, (In Case of Emergency). So if you have a risk like unprotected intercourse as example, this is your emergency medication that you start taking no later than 48-72 hours post exposure for about 30 days to prevent a possible HIV infection from taking hold. PEP is highly effective however should not be counted on and safer sex options like correct condom usage & PrEP are preferred

PrEP on the other-hand is Pre-exposure prophylaxis, (Prevention) it a way for people who do not have HIV but who are sexually active to add an additional layer of prevention against acquiring HIV. It means taking a pill every day that contains two medicines (tenofovir and emtricitabine) .

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline pliskinss

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 06:10:52 pm »
Now I'm a little concerned. What would Truvada and Tivicay be consider? My doctor seemed like he understood what I should be taking. He's a good doctor in my opinion, but now I'm wondering if I'm taking the wrong medicine. I am currently going to take this for 30 days as you said. So that's a little reassuring because that's how long I'm prescribe this.

Right now the plan is to continue taking my medicine for 30 days and then finally get tested afterwards.

Regarding my symptoms I have to accept that they are not due to HIV. Just real bad timing. I feel like some sort of sinus infection.  I have a pretty deep cough and constant sinus pressure on my forehead as of today.

Well hope you can help explain things to me. I'm trying to get into a better mindset. Just taking it a day at a time.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 06:23:58 pm »
Hiya,

Basically PEP normally is a combination of three anti-HIV drugs, from at least two of the different classes, in your case the doctor has given you that; Truvada that contains two drugs (tenofovir disoproxil fumarate + emtricitabine) & Tivicay as the third drug (dolutegravir)

Best, Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline pliskinss

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 06:35:24 pm »
Awesome. Great to hear. Just have to say Jim thanks so much for replying back to me. You’re an amazing person. I’ll try to focus on other things and just deal with my current sinus issue as that.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 09:14:03 pm »
You're welcome.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline pliskinss

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 08:14:35 pm »
Just wanted to give an update. I've been feeling better. Both mentally and physically.  Just been having sinus congestion really. Though, I think the medicine is what caused it. I do tend to have issue with allergies as it is already.

I'm in a better mindset like I said. Again, appreciate your words Jim. I'm just going to take my medicine everyday till I finish it and hope that this will all work out when I test in 6 weeks. 1 week pretty much down now. 5 more to go from here.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 08:27:08 pm »
Hiya,

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Best, Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline pliskinss

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 06:37:57 pm »
Well this is an interesting time.

I got my results back from my STD test I took with my doctor the day I had the incident which was May 7th. It came back positive for syphilis. Which would mean that I got this from my last sexual partner from almost a month and half ago. I'm going tomorrow to take a shot to treat this, but now I'm a wreck. Good news is that the HIV result was negative meaning my last partner was clean so I still just have this incident to worry about.

I never had this before, so I just don't know what to think. Also I'm still on PEP so I hope this doesn't interfere with it. I'm trying to hold on that the medicine will work if anything was currently happening to me with HIV. I also wondering if this would make it easier for me to catch it? What a difficult time.

Either way I'm a bit of a wreck. I didn't need this news, but I'm just hoping all this will work out. I know that PEP is effective and I took it very soon afterwards. Just hard not to focus on all of this. I was starting to feel so well about everything as well. Today my sinus issues are getting a little worst as well, but yeah I'm not going to tie this to HIV just because how soon this started to happen.

Man. What a time.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 06:51:40 pm »
Hiya

Look the negative HIV test means for sure you did not have HIV 3 months beforehand and highly unlikely 6 weeks before this incident 

meaning my last partner was clean

Not really. I'll spare you the speech and just go with, I'm clean, shower at least once a day sometimes twice, I just happen to be living with HIV. Side effect of HIV is not becoming dirty neither does the government take away soap & water privileges  from people living with HIV. - Understand  ;)

In addition from a transmission point of view even when all the conditions are perfect HIV is not very infectious meaning transmission odds are relatively small to start with per act. So you testing negative does not mean your past partners are not living with HIV or were not living with HIV during the time you met.

I know that PEP is effective and I took it very soon afterwards. Just hard not to focus on all of this. I was starting to feel so well about everything as well.

PEP is highly effective and even with now understanding you had some risks 6 weeks before this event I would still say odds are in your favor to test negative at 6 weeks post finishing the PEP you are taking for this more recent encounter.

Try to relax, try to focus on your life as normal. Odds are you will go onto confirm your negative HIV status. Do start practicing safer sex, no exceptions going forward.

Best, Jim 

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline pliskinss

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 07:59:43 pm »
Not really. I'll spare you the speech and just go with, I'm clean, shower at least once a day sometimes twice, I just happen to be living with HIV. Side effect of HIV is not becoming dirty neither does the government take away soap & water privileges  from people living with HIV. - Understand  ;)

lol my bad! Sorry. Really poor word choice on my on part, but like you mentioned I wrote some very naïve things in my last post. Thanks for pointing it all out. Yeah I hadn't put that much thought in my last sexual encounter and I should have before writing this.

I'm relaxing now. Tomorrow I'll go take my shot and just stay on track with my PEP medication.

Absolutely safe sex from now on. Currently, sex is something that is not even remotely on my mind, but yeah you're 100% right about that.

Thanks again Jim. You have been so much help for me during this time.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 04:00:38 am »
You're welcome.

Also I'm still on PEP so I hope this doesn't interfere with it

Good luck with the treatment for the syphilis and, no this will not effect the working of PEP.

Best, Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline pliskinss

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 07:12:32 pm »
Thanks for the info.

I had shot today. Still just have sinus congestion and the headaches as well, but other than that I feel fine. Now just need to take a day at a time. Nothing to do now except take my medicine and finish it then test. I'm really hoping this all works out.

Offline pliskinss

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 10:01:39 pm »
Well it's been a little over six weeks. I finished taking my medication a couple of weeks ago. It definitely felt strange when I finished them after taking them so long and getting use to them.

I got tested yesterday. I should know the results by the end of the week. Physically I've been feeling fine. The only time I wasn't feeling well was when I first started taking the medicine - as I've previously wrote about. Other than that I've been great.

This has been a pretty interesting period of time in my life, but I feel things are all going to work out. Been thinking through a lot things, staying busy, and focusing on my job and family/friends.

I'll give another update when I get my results back. Thanks again Jim for your replays they truly helped me out in staying calm and rational.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 02:20:18 am »
You're welcome and, glad to hear things are going okay.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline pliskinss

• Standard
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 02:05:16 pm »
I got my results back and tested negative on everything except for syphilis, but was told that it will show up as positive as I had recently been infected even though I already got treatment for it.

It's has been an interesting time. Jim, I want to sincerely thank you for getting me back to a rational mindset. I think the stigma and and fear of being mostly a straight man really made me try to convince myself worst about my outcomes of my life. I've already sought out some counseling. Seeing how much you reply to people like me you are doing amazing work.

I've learned a lot about myself and what I want in life. From now on I'm going to be safe about sex. I never want to think the things I was when I was first going through everything.

Hopefully for anyone that sees my post can read this fully. I still am glad I was able to take Pep and hope that this is something that is made more accessible for people as I'm glad I live in a major city and feel I wouldn't have been able to get this as quick if I wasn't.

Overall, I'm thankful for these forums.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 02:53:06 pm »
Hiya

You're welcome, happy we could help. Sounds like you had a lot of learnings & I'm glad to hear you have reached out for some counselling to assist you.

Take it easy.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.