Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:02:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 356
Total: 357

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tired  (Read 9331 times)

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
Tired
« on: July 26, 2006, 11:28:33 pm »
Just wanted to see if I could get some suggestions. I am on Sustiva and Truvada. i am a 34 Yo female, if that makes any difference. what i am concerned with is the fact that I have been so tired lately. I don't know if it's the meds that are making me tired or just life in general. Has anyone else on this combo experienced this and do you have any suggestions on what I can do to improve it. I eat fairly well and get at least 8 hours of sleep at night but I am still just exhausted especially lately. If anyone has any suggestions, I wold love to hear them .. Thanks,   Cristy

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Tired
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 03:41:32 pm »
Fatigue is one of the most difficult things to deal with, sep. since docs don't givie it much credence often.

These pages may help:

Feeling Tired (Fatigue & Anemia) - AIDSMEDS pages

Fatigue – feeling tired - i-Base pages

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 08:10:29 pm »
SUSTIVA DOES HAVE THAT KIND OF EFFECT ON PEOPLE.I WAS ALWAYS VERY TIRED EVEN THOUGH I GOT A GOOD NIGHTS REST.I EVENTUALLY GOT OFF THE SUSTIVA AND SWITCHED TO NORVIR WITH LEXIVA.ALONG WITH TRUVADA.THIS COMBO HAS BEEN AMAZING,THE FIRST TIME IN A SPAN OF 15 YRS THAT I HAVE BEEN UNDECTABLE WITH NO SIDE EFFECTS!!!

Offline jordan

• What I want is a celebration
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 08:17:30 pm »

I was really tired the first month then it seemed to level out.

Now I just feel exhausted and fatigued.

Here's another post regarding my concerns with fatigue:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=2059.msg22325#msg22325
If you think your lonely now, wait until tonight.

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 10:14:40 pm »
Thank you for your responses.    I did check out the link that were provided and also called my doctor's office and left a message.  Cristy

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 09:45:17 am »
Hello, I have a doctor's appointment for Wed to check this out. Thanks for your suggestions and I will update after my appointment.  Cristy

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
Re: Tired/update
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 11:06:59 pm »
Went to my doc apt. He went ahead and drew blood for my lab work and said they if my fatigue is caused by anemia or something else. I do feel a little better especially since they took my concerns seriously. He gave me some 800mg Motrin for my aches and that helps some. I'll post a update when I get my labs back.    Thanks, Cristy

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 02:24:36 am »
HI CRISTY... Here's a past thread concerning fatigue. Response #23 (from Jena) is interesting in my opinion  

CLICK HERE

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 01:23:46 pm »
Hello, Thanks for putting up that link to the tired thread, allopathicolistic. I do take prenatal vitamins but maybe adding a b-12 supplement would help. I called my doctor's office today but the results for my bloodwork haven't come back yet. i am grateful my doctor took my complaints seriously instead of blowing them off., seems like several of you got that response. I will post an update after I get my bloodwork back .  Thanks again,   Cristy

Offline indenu

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 12:42:20 pm »
i was tired all the time and my Dr put me on PROVIGIL , it works great

Offline c69

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 04:49:32 pm »
I am also always tired, before meds it was worse, but now it is still terrible.
I could sleep all day, and sometimes I do.
My way of managing it is to just ignore it when I can and feel like it.
Just get out of bed, take a shower and get busy doing something.
Also exercise energizes me a little.
I also would like to add that my better hours are after 6 PM.
I don't know but I just have more energy in the evening.
But in general it is a pain, I miss the energy I used to have before.

Anyway that's my take on it.

C69
Meds since May 2006, Abacavir, Tenofovir, Reyataz & Norvir.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 05:48:26 pm »
I was on sustiva/truvada for about 1.5 years and it started fine with virtually no side effects.   After reaching the 1 year point on this combo, I starting becoming noticeably fatigued all the time.  I also got enough sleep but it was never good sleep.  I always woke up feeling like I hadn't slept a wink.   I started lexapro in part because of this thinking it might just be old fashioned depression but it wasn't.

Sustiva/truvada worked great for me, but the fatigue and subsequent exhaustion peaked in June and I missed 68 hours of work that month... after that... enough was enough and I dumped sustiva for viramune and I feel much better energy wise.

the sustiva/truvada combo worked well for me but the side effects crept up on me after a year, almost too slowly to even recognize (who gets side effects that only start a year later) , but it is an all too often occurance in some to develop side effects on sustiva that never manifested themselves when the meds were begun.

I'd seriously dump it in favor of something else.

Offline randym431

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 03:10:32 am »
I was going to start a thread with the same subject. Glad you did.
I'm on sustiva and epzicom 1 year now and feel tired or worn out from time to time.
I was worried the meds were not working well, but my labs are great, so I can say the meds are working, but this is the cost?

Strange, but if I force myself to do things like take long bike rides or mow my 1/2 acre lawn, I actually then feel better days afterwards. If I am working and not getting much exercise, the tired effects hit me harder.

So as long as my labs are so good, I just have to live with the sides, I guess, unless they get really bad (???). I wonder about that.

I also like reading in the "NEWS" section that it may be possible (in testing phase) that once you become undetectable one might be able to keep undetectable on fewer meds, like maybe one med/drug.
I asked my doc about this and he said it looked VERY promissing and if I was really interested I could get on a trial test on this issue. I dont think I want to go that far, myself. But if they find reducing the meds will still deliver undetectable, wow to that! But I can see, after it being one year for me, that putting up long term with the sides and effects can really get to you. I wonder what I will be like in 2-3-4 years?
But then again, I do know a few people, on meds since 1995, that just keep getting better and better (all undetectable long term on meds), and really have no tired issues.
But too, they are on disability and do not have to do the 9-5 thing working. When they are tired, they nap and dont push themselves. That seems to keep them very chipper. So I look to that as hope...

I still work, and nights to boot, long 12 hour shifts. So I have to figure that in to the tired issue.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline TimHere

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 12:26:44 pm »
Hi everyone. I'm new here and have a few comments to share. These are the first hiv meds I've taken and I have been on Sustiva/Truvada for 2 weeks. What concerns me is the way it interferes with my sleep cycle and the resulting fatigue and inability to think clear headed during the day. Surface level sleep will not cut it for my body and mind.  Plus... I don't like having to wake up and use the bathroom 2-3 times a night.

I personally would not be willing to stay married to Sustiva/Truvada because I felt great before starting this combo. Now, I have lost about 40% of my energy and feel drugged out and dizzy most of the time. Granted it's only been 2 weeks, but my intuition tells me that it will probably cause me lesser quality of life both mentally and physically. My intuition has never failed me so far. Maybe it's cause I am starting with 70 cd4's and also have hep. c. Who knows? I would like to say I have a friend who is doing well on this combo. Any suggestions as to another combo to consider? Thanks. Tim

Offline Suntropic98

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 01:30:05 pm »
Just wanted to see if I could get some suggestions. I am on Sustiva and Truvada. i am a 34 Yo female, if that makes any difference. what i am concerned with is the fact that I have been so tired lately. I don't know if it's the meds that are making me tired or just life in general. Has anyone else on this combo experienced this and do you have any suggestions on what I can do to improve it. I eat fairly well and get at least 8 hours of sleep at night but I am still just exhausted especially lately. If anyone has any suggestions, I wold love to hear them .. Thanks,   Cristy

Hey Christy-

check your private message box...i sent you something you might be interested in to solve the problem.

Offline ManISOMan

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 11:31:42 pm »
I got a warning that I may not want to reply here, as there haven't been any postings in 60 days.  Doesn't matter, as I just wanted to say that I can really relate to C69 about being at my best after 6pm.  But, I'm pretty sure I've always been this way.  Someone really should start an after hours club for Hiv/Aids people.  They we could speak directly to one another as opposed to sitting alone in the dark and typing.  Okay, in a sense you're not completely alone. 

I guess, I'll find out how many people continue to look at this topic.  C69, are you out there?

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 08:23:15 am »
i relooked at it, Maniso. I am now on Altripla and Still tired but feeling better. I have been trying to get up and do more stuff when I am not working.  Love Ya'll   Cristy

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007, 04:39:18 pm »
Cristy - hope things are continuing to improve.   I am on Combivir / Sustiva - been about 9 months now.  I find a little bit of exercise combats that fatigued feeling in my case.  Just some light cardio at the gym in the AM or after work seems to give me more energy for the rest of the week. 

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 10:13:32 pm »
There are probalby to major lines of thought to consider.

1) sustiva seems to impact ones sleep cycles.

if this persists and no other ready anser or obvious explanation such as anemia, you might want to get a sleep study done. If if fact your sleep cycle is impacted, it can cause fatigue. (I have apnea myself, an although I'm not on meds yet, my sleep cycle was so impacted that I never got much deep level 3 and 4 sleep.

2) Toxicity of Meds.

we need the meds to supress the hiv, but the meds have some toxicity associated with them. So we need to optimize our health.

Exercise and Nutrition are pretty important.

If you get a good multi like added protection without iron, which newyorkbuyersclub.org sells, that may be a good foundation in which you can build. Additionally, there are some interesting antioxidents, Alpha lopaic acid, Acetyl-l-Carnintine and NAC, which may help your system process the meds.

Its not easy to learn how to exercise if your not used to it. while we would all like to be able to run a marathon or lift wieghts for hours, I suggest that you start walking 30 mins a day. You might be amazed at the results. Of course you need enough energy to do the work, so I really happy you are going to a doctor to check your blood work. If it is treatable, great, if not, or you might need to change treatment, so you can feel better.
risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.