Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:40:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 344
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AMG Southwest!!! (The Cowboy Way)  (Read 16558 times)

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
AMG Southwest!!! (The Cowboy Way)
« on: December 04, 2008, 10:57:28 am »
A discussion has been started in Off Topic, that it is now time for those of us living WEST of the Mississippi, to plan a get together sometime in March.  For those of you living in easily commutable distance from our area; it seems appropriate to plan to meet somewhere in Arizona.  Since this state is somewhat about the size of Italy or (114,006 sq. miles), please make sure you give yourself enough travel time, and understand the difference between Phoenix and Tucson. 

I want to ask all who are interested, (Lis this is your idea) to consider the Gayest little hick town in the west,  Bisbee.  This is a very gay friendly environment, in the heart of Mormon land.  http://www.copperqueen.com/ http://www.bisbeepride.com/ which is within easy driving distance of Tombstone, a center for Gay Cowboys also. 
http://www.cityoftombstone.com/ This small town, "The Town Too Tough To Die", is consistently the most popular tourist destination in Arizona, second only to the Grand Canyon. 

I have already had discussions about getting discounts with the Copper Queen Hotel, in the heart of Bisbee, where you can take a tour of the "Lavender Pit Mine", "Queen Mine", or any of the many local nicknames for the copper mine that this town grew up around.  The Copper Queen is the heart of this community, and has a bar with open patio on the street where you can cruise the many interesting cars and people that make up this community.  They also have a really good restaurant, where you can also dine on the same patio. 

This town is about 8 miles from the Mexico border where you will be able to "Walk" across the border and purchase any number of medications that might not be available at your local pharmacy without a prescription.  The store clerks are very adept at writing you a prescription to reenter the country and to get through Customs without any problems.  I have done this for years.

We are all located in Cochise County,  http://cochise.az.gov/ where our main city is actually Sierra Vista, http://www.ci.sierra-vista.az.us/cms1/ which is forty miles from Bisbee across a beautiful high desert valley, where the San Pedro river flows north into the United States from Mexico, and ends up emptying into the Gulf of Baja, and the Colorado river.   We even have a $5million dollar swim center with a wave pool and beach, plus two water slides.  Wheeeeee.

Anyway, this is all up to those interested, and if you decide to make this your location for this gathering; I will be glad to take up the challenge and organize this thing.  I am madly excited about this and meeting all of you from around here, and those interested from across the country and Canada.  Yes Lis, Brian, Ric and Thom, and Joe and Stephen and any others interested; this is your opportunity to see the southwest with friends.  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:04:18 pm by Moffie65 »
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: AMG Southwest!!! (The Cowboy Way)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 11:21:04 am »
Hey Tim, I was just reading about the Copper Queen Hotel yesterday! Allegedly, it's haunted.

;D

http://www.carpenoctem.tv/haunt/az/

Looks like a fabulous place though.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 11:33:13 am »
Yes it is Ann, and the manager of the hotel is a very hot Gay Cowboy, and will certainly give you a personal tour and introduce you to the ghosts.  :)*
Lynn Lavne

Offline a2z

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 05:56:10 pm »
Since this state is somewhat about the size of half of Europe, please make sure you give yourself enough travel time, and understand the difference between Phoenix and Tucson. 

Off-topic: I never realized our state was that big.  Or rather that Europe was that small in comparison.  1/2 day to get from anywhere to anywhere in Europe?

And from Phoenix to Tucson is 2 hours (90 minutes if you drive really fast and they haven't put the photo radar up) -- but from Tucson to Bisbee is what...another 90 minutes?
Dates are blood draw dates:
3/12/15: CD4 941, 36.4%, VL UD
9/4/14: CD4 948, 37.9%, VL 150
5/23/14: CD4 895 --.-% VL UD - Truvada/Isentress
09/21/09: CD4 898 27.0% VL 120 - back on track, same meds.High level enzymes, but less so
06/15/09: CD4 478 21.8% VL 1150 - high liver enzymes... looks like I may not be resistant
05/22/09: Fixed insurance, resumed medicine
04/17/09: Ran out of medicine, could not resolve insurance problems
04/01/09: CD4 773 28% VL 120 - high liver enzymes
12/01/08: CD4 514 23% VL 630
10/17/08 started Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. -- possibly minor neuropathy, but otherwise okay.
9/10/08: CD4 345 17%, VL > 78K
8/18/08: CD4 312 18%, VL > 60K (considering meds)
12/19/07: CD4 550 28% VL > 100K (no meds yet)
Diagnosed 10/23/07

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 06:44:46 pm »
From my house in Huachuca City, it is 186 miles to the Department of Health on 18th st in Phoenix.  From here to Bisbee is about 42 miles.  Time it takes depends totally on the size of your balls.  My truck's cruise control is very familiar with 82, as that takes into consideration of the 7mph over the speed limit that is common in Arizona.  Either way, I have changed the original post to say "about the size of Italy".  OK a2z?  I didn't mean to come off glib, or anything like that, this is just an idea and if you are interested in coming, please let us all know. Otherwise,  I am an old man and I sometimes say things that are not completely accurate but close.

It takes me most of the day to get to Las Vegas, and two if I want to see the sights of the White Mountains.  For those that might arrive by flying, Tucson would be a better place to come into, instead of Phoenix, but like said above, it is all a drive away to get from there to here.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:08:14 pm by Moffie65 »
Lynn Lavne

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 07:08:26 pm »
Off-topic: I never realized our state was that big.  Or rather that Europe was that small in comparison.  1/2 day to get from anywhere to anywhere in Europe?

Hehehehe... that's just Tim being a size queen again. ;D

The straight-line distance from Land's End to John o'Groats, is approximately 603 miles (970 km); it passes just east of Glasgow, leaves the Scottish coast near the Isle of Whithorn, crosses the sea and passes across the Isle of Man, passes a few miles to seaward of Holyhead on Anglesey, crosses the St David's peninsula of Pembrokeshire, and makes landfall again near St Just in Cornwall.

The distance by road is 874 miles (1406 km), according to the much-photographed signposts at each end. (info knicked from Wikipedia)

The UK is nowhere as big as mainland Europe. sounds like Arizona isn't either. ;)

Edited to say...

This made me curious so I decided to go for a direct comparison...

Arizona - 113,998 sq mi (295,254 km²)

Europe - 3,930,000 sq mi (10,180,000 km²)

Sorry guys, I've always been a bit of a geography nerd. ;D

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:20:53 pm by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 07:25:19 pm »
Moffie,
   I would be very interested in attending if this goes off as hoped. I have been to Bisbee on several occasions and love the place. At one time I had thought about moving there, but was put off by the out of control real estate prices at the time. Another interesting option for accomodations is the Shady Dell Trailer Park. It has been there for awhile now, and has a whole slew of restored antique travel trailers as well as an old Chris-Craft. They are all available to rent out nightly. They were very reasonably priced at one time, but they may have gone up when they became a bit trendy a few years ago. By the way, is Dot's Diner still open? Dot made the best food ever. She was older than dirt last time I was there, about 12 years ago. If she's still alive and kicking it would be fun to go there again. The Copper Queen is a gorgeous old Hotel, and the added attraction of ghosts makes it irresistable....

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline a2z

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 08:47:13 pm »
From my house in Huachuca City, it is 186 miles to the Department of Health on 18th st in Phoenix.  From here to Bisbee is about 42 miles.  Time it takes depends totally on the size of your balls.  My truck's cruise control is very familiar with 82, as that takes into consideration of the 7mph over the speed limit that is common in Arizona.  Either way, I have changed the original post to say "about the size of Italy".  OK a2z?  I didn't mean to come off glib, or anything like that, this is just an idea and if you are interested in coming, please let us all know. Otherwise,  I am an old man and I sometimes say things that are not completely accurate but close.

It takes me most of the day to get to Las Vegas, and two if I want to see the sights of the White Mountains.  For those that might arrive by flying, Tucson would be a better place to come into, instead of Phoenix, but like said above, it is all a drive away to get from there to here.

Sorry I wasn't trying to poke at you, I *really* don't know the size of Europe.  Or I didn't until Ann posted it.
Dates are blood draw dates:
3/12/15: CD4 941, 36.4%, VL UD
9/4/14: CD4 948, 37.9%, VL 150
5/23/14: CD4 895 --.-% VL UD - Truvada/Isentress
09/21/09: CD4 898 27.0% VL 120 - back on track, same meds.High level enzymes, but less so
06/15/09: CD4 478 21.8% VL 1150 - high liver enzymes... looks like I may not be resistant
05/22/09: Fixed insurance, resumed medicine
04/17/09: Ran out of medicine, could not resolve insurance problems
04/01/09: CD4 773 28% VL 120 - high liver enzymes
12/01/08: CD4 514 23% VL 630
10/17/08 started Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. -- possibly minor neuropathy, but otherwise okay.
9/10/08: CD4 345 17%, VL > 78K
8/18/08: CD4 312 18%, VL > 60K (considering meds)
12/19/07: CD4 550 28% VL > 100K (no meds yet)
Diagnosed 10/23/07

Offline Jody

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 09:12:30 pm »
Hi Tim...I'd love to visit beautiful Arizona, money and time may be a problem this year however...It's on my list and of course I would never go without seeing Mayor Moff !!!

P.S...Ann is correct...Spain alone is 195,000 square miles, almost twice as large as Arizona.
Oh well...Size isn't everything, is it?  ;)

Jody :)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 08:48:37 am »
Good Carl and Jody.  Let's see how things work out, and then make some plans.  Obviously the other guys who have spoken of an interest to join up with this possibility should also weigh in for now.  March is still a few months away, so we have time.
Lynn Lavne

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 12:15:26 pm »
Well, of course I will attend.  ;D

It is just a scant 8 or 9 hour drive for me, and if I kick the Miata in the butt, maybe less time.

OOOOOOOH! I can drive down Salt River Canyon! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I love that drive.

Sounds like a done deal to me. Bisbee, eh? Hmmmn, could the Handsome Cowboy introduce me to ...  er ...um ... ghosts? Yes, that is what I meant, ghosts.

I stay at the El Rancho in Gallup all the time. Also reputed to be haunted, but as of yet, no luck.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 12:46:46 pm »
Yes Mark, his name is Adam and he is hot in my opinion.  Fuzzy also.  I am sure he can accomidate you staying in one of the "shared ghost rooms". 

Lynn Lavne

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 02:06:00 pm »
OOOOOOOH! I can drive down Salt River Canyon! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Me too!! That is one of the most awesome roads ever! I've done it several times on a motorcycle, and once in a Datsun 240Z that had a motor that was "slighty" tweaked. Another fun route to get there from here is Route 666. The fundie christians got it re-named, but it will always be the Devils Road to me. Pick it up in Show Low and ride it all the way down to I-10. It's like a roller coaster for your car. The first time I rode it was in a snowstorm. On a motorcycle :-\ 60 miles of sheer terror, that lasted for almost 6 hours it was so bad.

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 09:48:30 pm »

Me too!! That is one of the most awesome roads ever! I've done it several times on a motorcycle, and once in a Datsun 240Z that had a motor that was "slighty" tweaked. Another fun route to get there from here is Route 666. The fundie christians got it re-named, but it will always be the Devils Road to me. Pick it up in Show Low and ride it all the way down to I-10. It's like a roller coaster for your car. The first time I rode it was in a snowstorm. On a motorcycle :-\ 60 miles of sheer terror, that lasted for almost 6 hours it was so bad.

CaptCarl

Hey Carl,

I take 666 all the time - from Shiprock to Gallup. Love that road. It is scenic, goes through the heart of the Navajo Nation and some of the most wonderful scenery in Northwest New Mexico and goes right by Toadlena, the Navajo Rug capital of the world.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 12:07:29 pm »
Tim,

The idea sounds wonderful and I would love for Stephen to see Arizona, so you can count us in, with the only caveat being if we can find reasonable flights.  I have a friend who lives in Phoenix and I spent a few weeks with her, traveling across the state and my favorites by far were Sedona and the Grand Canyon.  I also drove from Detroit to Phoenix and was mesmerized by the scenery once I entered New Mexico.  I also found the option of driving up mountains in a 4x4, where the stars were my canopy and for one of the few times in my life, I was in total darkness and silence.

We haven't been anywhere in years and I can't think of a better place to restart our traveling.  Mostly though, I long to see you again and to hug Bob, who has taken such wonderful care of my dear friend.  As of now, we are planning it, so I will watch this thread for developments.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 10:15:51 am »
Hey Count ME IN!   ;D

March will be an excellent time for me to get away!!!

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 08:38:50 am »
So, as I see it now, we have a confirmation from Mark, Carl, Joe and Stephen, and now Sharkie.  This is shaping up well for the time being, and hopefully some of those from Arizona will also confirm.  I know some might commute in from Tucson for the day, as it isn't a terribly long drive from there.

If it is possible for those of you flying in; I would suggest making your arrival at the Tucson International Airport, even if you have to come through Phoenix.  The drive from Phoenix to Tucson is only 90 miles, but usually not a very pleasant 90 miles.

As the time gets closer, I will be asking you guys just how much sightseeing you would like to plan, so until then we will just accumulate the number of visitors.

So glad this is happening, and we (my sweetie and I) look forward to being able to facilitate this AMG.

Lynn Lavne

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 10:42:47 am »
Had a nice chat yesterday with Adam, and his schedule is most open the last weekend of the month.  Thursday March 26 through Monday the 30th.  So based on that one, I confirmed this would be the weekend we target.   The local difference between the first part of March and the last part can be several degrees of temperature. 

This will help some of you with scheduling dates, and you can move ahead with plans.

A message from him to the group will follow this week, when he forwards it to me. 

If you all don't mind, I will create a bit of a schedule for sightseeing, and then pass it by all of you.  Whatever the weekend brings; mostly it will be a time of rest and relaxation, which is something I know some of you really need.  It is a good town for that, so you can all look forward to a relaxing, western flavor get-away.  There are some nice stores in Sierra Vista and Tombstone, where you can suit up with cowboy boots and hats if you feel so inclined.  We buy most of our stuff in Tombstone, because of a few stores there that support HIV work.

I can't wait to see and meet all of you, and Jody, please try to make it.  I won't complain about your "speed walking" this time, due to the fact I've seen it all, so you will be on your own to rush about the West at your own pace.  :)*
Lynn Lavne

Offline Jody

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 12:37:43 pm »
Hi Tim...Thanks for the invite, I don't think I can get away in March or April this year.  Hope you all have a great time.  Hope to see you in Boston if you can make it in August.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 03:05:23 pm »
Hi all,

Talked with Adam this week and if you will call the hotel and ask for him, he has decided to give us a markdown in the very peak of his high season.  I think that is pretty nice, and if you want to split the cost for your room, please do so from the list of people wanting to attend in this thread. 

He has also decided to give us all a personal "Ghost Tour" so all of you will certainly enjoy this.  He has also blocked out 11 rooms, so please contact him as soon as possible at this number, and ask for Adam specifically, and tell him you are with Tim, and AIDSmeds.  He will know who you are.

(520)432-2216

The people at the front desk might know about our visit, but not necessarily the discount structure.

Can't wait for all of you to arrive and enjoy the fine desert weather in March. 

Please post here if you would like me to plan anything, outside of a day at Tombstone.  We have wineries, lakes, mountains and all kinds of sights to see here, so if you would like planned activities, please let me know and I'll surely plan some for you.

There is also Mexico so you can buy those drugs that are difficult to get from just any Walgreens without a prescription.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 04:43:43 pm »
This event has been cancelled.
Lynn Lavne

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 04:49:14 pm »
Hi Tim

I'm sorry to hear this, I have been keeping up with the thread, I think a lot of people are feeling the pinch this year..hopefully things will better, sooner rather than later.

Thinking of you
Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline jampdx

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 07:46:36 am »
Arizona would have been great for me here in the NW also... I have family down there and it's a fairly cheap flight.  Let me know if you plan this again.

Darn it!
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Infected 1/6/2009
Positive 2/9/2009
3/8/2009:  CD4 603  VL f\'d up by lab and having to redraw
4/7/2009 CD4 650 VL 348
6/24/2009 cd4 964 VL 850
9/26/2009 CD4 546 VL 822
7/22/13 CD4 1080 VL 2,220
6/30:2018 CD4 780 VL Undetectable

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.