Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:06:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 503
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 501
Total: 503

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Med Combo Atripla  (Read 6045 times)

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
New Med Combo Atripla
« on: November 01, 2006, 03:48:56 pm »
OK recently this week I started a new Combo called Atripla. At first no side effects. Last night was sick as a dog throwing up and sleeping many hours and now right arm is numb and hard to type. Hopefully this combo will eventually be OK it just taking it for the first week that is going to have to get use to it.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: New Med Combo Atripla
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 04:00:03 pm »
Jerry, hopefully things will settle down. But if you don't feel better by tomorrow how about calling your doctor and letting him know what's going on?

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 04:15:26 pm »
What Andy said

Plus yr doc can give you an anti-nausea/vomiting tab for a few days perhaps

- matt

Now playing: Lloyd Williams, Turpentine
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 04:26:14 pm »
Let's hope your post finds the others on this combination.  I posted a bit earlier about the Sustiva part of it, why he may have felt hot then cold, felt dizzy as in drunk, could feel very depressed.  You may also have the literature they throw in which could point out initial side effects.  Just make sure that you don't self-medicate, treat the side effects without checking first with either your pharmacist or hcp lest you cause an interaction between the over-the-counter and prescribed drug.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Jerry71

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 05:27:09 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone and yes I called the doc today and it is just one of those side effects.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 08:55:52 pm »
Hey Jerry,

Just as Andy has indicated things should settle down for you, it is your first week. Take care of yourself!

Make the BEST of each and every Day!

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 11:28:34 pm »
Yeah, the first week was strange with dizzy, groggy mornings.  Few times recently that I felt slightly nauseous after the Atripla.  One time this week (perhaps ate too late) where I felt drunk and messed up...  I seem to pass out, then wake up.  Some of this is due to recent stress as well I have been having to cope with messin with sleep.  Been on Atripla since October 4th and overall I feel I am handling it well...  I really hope things get better for you soon!  Hang in there!

Bests,
Drew

Offline Jerry71

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 04:09:56 am »
Update Doc called and told me to go back on my old meds since the new med was causing me problems. Oh well back too Viread, Combivir. ::)

Offline poet

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 05:59:28 am »
To Ndrew, your symptoms are those I get from the Sustiva part of atripla.  I hope that you are taking it once a day at night to lessen the side effects, the sleepy/drunken feeling.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Jerry71

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 07:03:38 am »
Found out that Atripla had sulfer in it and it does not agree well with my system. >:(

Offline poet

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 08:59:34 am »
I was on an early drug which had sulfur until I read that adverse reactions were dangerous because when and if your body got one, you couldn't rid your body fast enough of the sulfur.  Let's all hope that anyone thinking about Atripla looks into side effects and issues, with his/her health care provider and anyone else medicine savvy.  Win

Offline newt

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 09:34:04 am »
Well blow me over if I'm wrong but...

Atripla is not a sulfa-containing drug - Lexiva is.

Something not quite right...

- matt

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 09:46:17 am »
I had posted my dealings with said drug:
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=3982.0
Thanks for the replies everyone and yes I called the doc today and it is just one of those side effects.
Gee don't you hate when it is said so matter of factly, like hey the sky is blue!
Well blow me over
- matt

Is that an offer  :o  ?
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline poet

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 01:53:35 pm »
Matt, I checked out the website and Atripla contains: sodium lauryl sulfate.  There was also a warning about possible rashes, the cause of which I don't remember.  A pharmacist or hcp would be able to help anyone with the question of sulfur, side effects, etc. (I comment for readers who might be alarmed about our thread).  Win

Offline newt

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 05:40:00 pm »
sodium lauryl sulfate...yes in the flim coating, but not as an active ingredient.   

FTC (in Atripla) and 3TC (Epivir, also in Combivir) both contain a sulphur molecule, so am surprised at a reaction on Atripla but not Combivir.  Maybe to do with the Atripla formulation perhaps.

The biggie sulfa drug here is still Lexiva ("A protease inhibitor for our time") - from the prescribing info:

"Sulfa Allergy: LEXIVA should be used with caution in patients with a known sulfonamide allergy. Fosamprenavir contains a sulfonamide moiety."

Allergy to sulfa meds increases the chance of a bad reaction to NNRTIs (can't find the study off-hand, sure I have posted a link beforehand), so maybe it was the Lexiva/Atripla (well, Sustiva) pairing that pushed stuff over the top.

Still think Lexiva, Combivir, Viread is a bit weird, sure there's a gd reason for choosing this combo though which was posted earlier and I have now forgoten

- matt

Now playing: a cheese molecule or two

PS - re: bad reaction to Sustiva and sulfa allergy, a reference etc in this thread in Treatment Questions forum
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 08:00:33 pm by newt »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.