Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:40:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 593
Total: 594

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Flu shots....lol  (Read 3176 times)

Offline bluelove

Flu shots....lol
« on: October 11, 2006, 04:26:50 pm »
How To Avoid Flu Season
Eat right!
Make sure you get your daily dose of

fruits and veggies.
    Take your vitamins and bump up your vitamin C.
Get plenty of exercise because
exercise helps build your immune system.
Walk for at least an hour a day, and
go for a swim. Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
Wash your hands often.
If you can't wash them,
keep a bottle of antibacterial stuff around.
Get lots of fresh air.
Open doors & windows whenever possible. Try to eliminate as much stress
from your life as you can.
Get plenty of rest.
OR
Take your doctor's approach.
Think about it...
When you go for a shot,
what do they do first? They clean your arm with alcohol...
Why?
Because Alcohol KILLS GERMS.
So.......
I walk to the liquor store. (exercise)
I put lime in my Corona...(fruit)
Celery in my Bloody Mary  (veggies) Drink outdoors on the bar patio..(fresh air)
Tell jokes, laugh....(eliminate stress)
Then pass out.  (rest)
The way I see it...
If you keep your alcohol levels up,
flu germs  can't get you! My grandmother always said,
"A shot in the glass
beats one in the arm

Live Well - Laugh Often - Love Much 

On a serious note do have your flu shot l am getting mine in two weeks.

And Eric does this count as getting better or worse?

Offline Basquo

Re: Flu shots....lol
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 05:46:03 pm »
I am usually the first on campus to get my flu shot.  This year when I came in the OHS nurse said he was just telling a coworker how two years ago he sent out the email announcement, and I was there 3 minutes later to get my shot!  Yes, I have had the flu even after getting the shot, but it's always in April or so, very late, and only keeps me down for three days or so.  Ten years ago was the last time in the past 14 that I haven't gotten the shot, and I got it pretty bad--living by myself with a 103.5F fever!!! I was hallucinating, but was lucid enough to remeber that I didn't have health insurance, and didn't want to die alone except for my cat. I crawled to the bathroom and put myself into a cold tub of water. If you've ever had to do that, then you understand why I take a flu shot every year. And yes, usually I get a little sick a day or two after getting the shot, but it gets less every year.

Now here's a Texas remedy for the common cold!  When you feel one coming on, just follow these easy steps.

1) Hang your hat on the bed post.

2) Climb into bed with a bottle of whisky.

3) Take sips of the whisky until you can see 2 hats.

4) Sleep off the cold!

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 05:58:56 pm »
I get my flu shot every year faithfully. The only time I got sick from it was when I got my first shot, I developed a migrane headache and then threw up, that was it. I am also diabetic so it's a must that I get one but has heard that the first batch sent here (Erie,Pa) was tainted. Am going to call my doc tomorrow to see when it's safe to get one.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Teresa

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 07:56:29 pm »
Me and Hubby got our flu shots today.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 08:37:10 pm »
swell!  Another needle this month!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 08:44:52 pm »
Hello Blue,

Hope everything is going well with you !! I signed up for my flu shot at work Monday night. Will be getting it as soon as it becomes available to the employees.

All the best-----Ray 8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 08:47:36 pm »
awww eric!

I'm getting mine next week!
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 01:17:52 am »
I got mine last Monday. It always makes me feel icky (that's a technical term) for about a day.

Odd thing though, they took my temperature first. I don't remember them doing that last year. Maybe they did and I just forgot.

They used one of those new fangled gadgets that they rub across your forehead. No more holding someting under your tongue. (Lwood?)

Apparently it was invented by NASA. It said my temperature was 99.5. The nurse gave me a queer look, but gave me my shot anyway.

It didn't matter, I spent Monday night driving to Albuquerque in heavy rain. Sheets and sheets of water.

Now I remember why I like living in a desert - no rain.

UGH!

HUGS,

Mark

(Who no longer feels icky, just worn out)
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline ewjok

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 10:08:45 am »
I had my first flu shot last year and ended up with pneumonia but my doc reassured me this was not related to the shot, hmmm. recovered well but earlier this week I thought I was having a heart attack ended up bacik in hospital, it was pericarditis a `minor` heart infection, well im back at home now and feeling ok, a bit shaken but ok.You just have to laugh or go insane. ;D

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 11:58:12 am »
Blue,
   Thanks for the early morning laugh, always a great way to start my busy day. I totally agree with all of it. I have cirrhosis due to 19 years of Hep B. I never did get into drinking, but am thinking that at this point, why the Hell not? Maybe instead I'll eat my morning smoke instead, and that can be my veggie intake for the day?
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.