Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:00:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 226
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 202
Total: 204

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: cjdog100  (Read 8414 times)

Offline cjdog100

• Standard
cjdog100
« on: August 07, 2019, 05:41:57 pm »
Sry for my late reply ( working and studies) well I'm not really asking for myself if you get what I'm saying....trying to understand somethings on my side with her but its gonna be hard when there no trust...i already know what your answer was going to be but I hoped you said yes for atleast one of them

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: cjdog100
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 04:42:55 am »
Hiya,

Oh boy.

So I am gathering you have been asking how she acquired HIV and, that was her answer? Somehow you think her past has something to do with trust now?

Let me ask you this if she had cancer would you ask how she got it?  Lung cancer perhaps if she ever smoked or cervical cancer about sex?  Or if she had been diabetic about what sugar products she did or did not eat?

I presume not.

Now the answer to your question is a fairly simple one; "At some point, she found herself in a situation whereby all the biological & environmental conditions required for acquiring HIV were met and, transmission took place"

The details of that situation are not your concern, neither does not telling you reflect trust concerns.

Now if she said she acquired HIV from the Loch Ness Monster or the next-door neighbour's cat, it's totally up to her,  it's also very much possible she does not know or like many is simply dismissing real-world risks as no risks and incorrectly linking the infections to past events that are unrelated.

Stop asking or expecting an answer it's got nothing to do with you. She is your GF in the here and now and is living with HIV a manageable condition. That's all you need to know.

Try to appreciate that next to all the other worries that come with managing any manageable condition, HIV diagnosis can be a time of struggling with deep emotions and fear regarding things like, HIV stigma, social judgment & self-stigma, feelings of regret but also concern of the future like fear of rejection, own sexuality, religion, family etc can this can all weigh heavy on the mind. 

;) Hope you understand.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:11:39 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 08:09:39 pm »
Hiya

Moved your thread here as this has little to nothing to do with HIV prevention or your own risks and far more related to your relationship with your HIV positive partner.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline cjdog100

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 04:36:41 am »
I understand where you coming from but I don't come out of nowhere and ask her where did you did it from as far as my concern it's none of my business and if I accept her for her that's me. Also she just brought it up casually via facetime.What I'm getting at is when she tells me her "stories" about how she think she got it. I'm like so your gonna just give me bs about how you got it.....i would just prefer you tell me you don't know how you got it plus her mom is a retired RN. Another thing to add somehow I rounded having unprotected with her again so I told how uncomfortable im starting to get around her. Asked her are you just going on the fact your undetectable instead of talking to you team just to make sure it's ok and she like I'll call my CS , I'm just mind blown at this point.Really by the end of this year Jim I don't really know how this will fan out between me and her. I know she has feeling for me and I have feeling for her but im debating on calling quits

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 06:46:24 am »
Hiya

I hear you on the other hand as I said before if she said she acquired HIV from the Loch Ness Monster or the next-door neighbour's cat, it's not about you, does not take away from you or effect you (I am missing how it would). It's her story and totally up to her, accept it and move on would be my advice. Truth is she might truly believe it, might not know or might need time and this story to cope & digest whatever happened, this could take years.

On the sex part, I can preach and tell you the U=U message again but i don't think that is what this is about.

End of the day, if you are uncomfortable sexually with her and ultimately unable to trust her as I get the sense it's partly a trust issue that it's a problem for the relationship and if you want to use condoms or PrEP to reach a comfort level you are happy with to accept that is your choice, but you need to talk to her about it as she is your partner if you can't reach an acceptable understanding between you it's going to hard to fix the relationship 

That's my two cents on this
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline cjdog100

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 05:02:34 pm »
Me and her had a long talk yesterday. As for the the U=U, my stuides deal with science so i understand it and the case studies around it which is why I asked certain questions in the "am i infected" pertaining to my risk. It's just she has a air head personality that I love about her but for something like this I feel she should talk to her team just to have her bases covered and take things more serious. I did told her we could wait for intercourse and just oral until I'm a little bit more relaxed. Also with that recent unprotected she pressured the crap out of me for 30min till I gave in so it's not like I'm not trying to meet her halfway with her situation.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 06:01:45 pm »
for something like this I feel she should talk to her team just to have her bases covered and take things more serious.

Just to clarify what are you looking for her to discuss with her team & why? I mean U=U there is not much to discuss with them or do you mean confirming her UD lab results? It's pretty standard to share that with the patient on visits.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline cjdog100

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 08:23:26 pm »
Hmm.....where I'm getting at is it ok now instead of waiting for 6 months...with her being fairly new to this granted its 4? Really I'm going on what you told in the other form and what someone at ID told me. I dont want to sound rude to anyone on this post but I just assume that said + person would ask about unprotected sex to protect their partner's health. I'm only talking from a - person's point of view so it might be more tunnel vision bias. In not in her shoes but I would understand if that something she wouldn't really want to talk about to others.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:26:57 pm by cjdog100 »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 12:13:10 am »
Hiya,

It's 6 months, that's the assessment

I dont want to sound rude to anyone on this post but I just assume that said + person would ask about unprotected sex to protect their partner's health.

I'll be honest it's never been a topic for me. I was once asked about my understanding of TaSP and I explained the concept to the doc, that was about it. I can imagen that newbies might ask if they have questions or the ID doctor might ask if they have any questions.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline cjdog100

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 03:04:02 am »
Ok so treatment before 6 months Of UD isn't 100 percent safe but its a low risk because of said person is UD? She is telling me one thing, her mind is stuck on condomless sex but she been on treat for 4 months and gaining healthy weight back so I think that's what she going off....so what would you suggest?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 04:51:28 am »
Hiya

The assessment is not going to change and if you want to use condoms and/or PrEP in relation to HIV prevention it's your choice/right to do so

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline cjdog100

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 09:12:37 pm »
Ok cool.....as for the recent sex I'll just wait till January for my regular testing routine...ill check back in later to tell you how things are going
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 09:16:53 pm by cjdog100 »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 06:47:31 am »
but I just assume that said + person would ask about unprotected sex to protect their partner's health. I'm only talking from a - person's point of view so it might be more tunnel vision bias.
and that's why so many HIV transmissions have happened by people who don't know their status. It's not up to anyone to "protect their partner's health"; it's up to YOU and you alone to protect YOUR own health. Whether someone is +, or -, or unknown, or on prep, etc. it's up to each partner to be responsible for and protect their own health.

You agreeing to condomless sex (also accepting her word that she's barely been UD for a few months, and allowing her to pressure you into something you didn't feel ready for) is YOU taking whatever risk there might be.

And speaking of risks, while your partner may be UD which would be "safer sex" for you, that still doesn't protect YOU from any number of STIs (syphilis and gonorrhea are HUGE problems) or from pregnancy.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.