Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:21:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 642
Total: 645

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Will space save the race?  (Read 3186 times)

Offline AldousOrwell

Will space save the race?
« on: July 22, 2006, 11:42:46 am »
Will space save the race?
Physicist Hawking sparks debate on humans' future on Earth.

The always interesting British physicist Stephen Hawking has been especially provocative lately and, at age 64, more than a bit pensive.

In mid-June, Hawking let it drop that Pope John II had told scholars at some unspecified meeting that the beginning of the universe was the work of God and therefore shouldn't be taken up as a scientific question.

A few weeks later, Hawking told journalists in Hong Kong, "It is important for the human species to spread out into space for the survival of the species ... Life on Earth is at the ever-increasing risk of being wiped out by disaster, such as sudden global warming, nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus, or other dangers we have not yet thought of."

He took things further on Yahoo.com, posing a question to the public: "How can the human race survive the next hundred years?"

I'm not surprised by the first bit of news; there have always been sources of tension between religion and science. I am surprised by the rest.

Hawking's remark that humans should "spread out into space for the survival of the species" is particularly curious. He's basically saying that we're smart enough to colonize other worlds but not smart enough to solve the problems we face on Earth. I disagree.

At the moment, we can't even "colonize" the International Space Station let alone other worlds. And within Hawking's lifetime, we've seen some seemingly intractable problems ease or virtually disappear.

The end of the Cold War comes to mind. The threat of nuclear war between the United States and Soviet Union was palpable in the late 1970s and early 1980s. It isn't today.

The AIDS pandemic has not crested; close to 40 million people worldwide have HIV, and the disease continues to spread unabated in parts of sub-Saharan Africa. But this is primarily a social and political problem that can be eased, if not solved. Medical researchers have made extraordinary progress treating HIV/AIDS, a disease identified only 25 years ago.

By the end of the year, many people in the U.S. with HIV will be able to fight the disease by taking just one pill a day. I refuse to believe that the world can't muster the political and financial will to make these pills widely available outside the U.S., especially in Third World countries.

As for Hawking's question about whether the human race can survive 100 more years, I believe the answer is yes. Others disagree, as reflected by the disturbingly shallow and ungrammatical debate Hawking's question set off on Yahoo.com.

One person, identified only as David, posted a message that said, simply: "WE WON'T."

Another reader, using the name XO TJ(heart)78, wrote, "dont matter to me cuz i wont be alive that long. "

Then there was this from YahooGuru2:

"The human race will survive through adaptation. Humans are remarkably resourceful and use their brains to engineer whatever they need to adapt for survival in an ever changing environment. Humans can now live at the bottom of the ocean and in outer space. There is no doubt that we are headed for cataclysmic troubles, but there is also no doubt that what ever it will take to sustain life, we (or at least a few of us) will soldier on.

"Doctor, I think your own life is testament to the will power of humans to adapt in the face of adversity. I am sure that the path your life has taken has not always been what you would choose for yourself, but instead the best possible choice given your unique circumstances.

"I do not think humankind will miraculously change and become an all loving peaceful society. I do however believe our stubborn clinging to life will keep us from becoming extinct within the next 100 years. Society and political systems may indeed crumble, but man as a species will endure. "

Source: http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/healthscience/homepage/article_1212539.php

--
Omid Zamani MD, MPH
Health Communication Advisor, eHealth Freelance Researcher
Founder of eCommunity of HIV/AIDS activists in Iran
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/iranhivaids
Founder of eCommunity of Iranian Public Health Professionals

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.