Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:02:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 343
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Handjob w. secretions, not a risk, but why?  (Read 31928 times)

Offline greenman92

Handjob w. secretions, not a risk, but why?
« on: September 14, 2007, 09:03:47 am »
Hello and thank you for this board. 

Early July I received an BJ from a female stripper.  She also licked my scrotum.  The entire incident was about 30 seconds... (no I didn't ejaculate! - just stopped her :P).  I shaved entirely a few hours before the incident.   I know that in reality, receiving a BJ is considered zero risk, I am unsure if the shaving has potential gateways.  I tested 5 weeks 2 days after and tested negative for everything including HIV. 

My concern resurfaced as I was prepared to donate blood.  I do not want to be irresponsible yet I do want to donate.  Is it my moral obligation to retest at 12 weeks or am I good to donate now. 

Thoughts please. 

Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 09:58:31 am by greenman92 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Received BJ, still feel unsure about blood donation
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 09:33:17 am »
green,

You need to know that refering to the state of one's sexual health as being "clean" implies that someone who is living with hiv is "dirty". Please think about the language you use.

Getting a blowjob is not a risk, regardless whether or not you shave. Saliva is not infectious.

Read our Welcome Thread and posting guidelines; click on and read the Lessons.

As long as you hadn't had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse three months before you tested, then your negative test was reliable. The blowjob wastn't a risk and you didn't need to test over it.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline greenman92

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 09:38:51 am »
OH MY GOSH!  YOU ARE RIGHT AND I AM VERY SORRY!!!! Can I retract and reword?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 09:47:05 am »
green,

All I ask is that you learn from your mistake and avoid making it in future. Thanks.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline greenman92

Handjob w. secretions, not a risk, but why?
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:48:25 pm »
Based on everything I've read on here and MedHelp, I've learned that a handjob, even with vaginal secretions as a lubricant is not a risk at all. 

I wish my body and mind understood that- the sides of my neck ache, my neck under the back of my head hurts... body aches, headaches, loss of appetite... which set in a three weeks after the incident and remain at week five.

I and others may again benefit from your expertise:  Why is it that the secretions do not pose an HIV risk?  If the secretions were infected and they went immediately from her vagina to my penis (including the head/urethral opening) why is it uncommon to become infected?

Why is vaginal sex a risk?  Same premesis isn't it?

I need to close thanking you for the patience and experience you lend at no charge to the world. Many doctors in rural areas charge plenty to treat the scared and uniformed unkindly, leaving them still uninformed!  Thank you.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Handjob w. secretions, not a risk, but why?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 01:23:17 pm »
Green,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

The infectious sexual fluid a woman produces is the cervicovaginal fluid, which is actually a thick mucus which covers and protectes the cervix. When a person has unprotected vaginal intercourse, the head of the penis - which is the bit vulnerable to infection - repeatedly bangs up against the cervix, deep in the vagina.

The lubricating fluid a woman produces when sexually excited comes from the Bartholin's glands, located on either side of the vaginal opening. I have not found one shred of evidence that this lubricating fluid is any more infectious than sweat or tears, which are NOT infectious.

So, not only is this lubricating fluid not one to worry about, but when it is used as lube for masturbation, this takes place OUTSIDE the body. Hiv is very fragile and quickly becomes damaged and unable to infect when outside the body. So even if there were some virus present, it would not be viable and able to infect.

Getting a handjob is NOT a risk for hiv infection, regardless of using bodily secretions as lube.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline greenman92

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 02:47:49 pm »
 ???

Wow that was fast and detailed- thank you so much for the well explained information!

Maybe a last question... for now anyway:  I've read that, "Hiv is very fragile and doesn't last very long outside the body.  This is why it must be passed vaginally or anally." 

How long can it last outside the body?  Seconds?  Minutes? 

If it can't last long outside the body, how is it passed by IV drug users?

Great info.  Your board is a service to many of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??? ???

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 04:54:04 pm »
green,

When IV drug users inject, they first pull back on the plunger until they see blood in the barrel of the syringe. This is to ensure they have a vein. Some of this blood will remain behind in the needle. When this syringe is passed on IMMEDIATELY to someone else, they repeat the process but this time they are also injecting the other person's blood DIRECTLY into their bloodstream. The enclosed nature of the needle and the fast turn-over to the next user are why this SOMETIMES results in hiv infection. That, and the fact that hiv is directly injected into the bloodstream.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline greenman92

Re: Handjob w. secretions, not a risk, or POSSIBLE?
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 03:07:48 pm »
Hello again and sorry for the bother.  My question now is probably much more stupid than my last, but nonethe less, something that's been bothering me of late and important to me.

For the record, I'm a 34 y.o. circumcized,  non drug using, heterosexual male.  I generally am not promiscuous, but hit an adult strip club in rural, NY, USA. A private dance from a stripper:  she fingered herself with several fingers for a while then stroked me for a few minutes.   She was willing to let me do her w.o. a condom, but somehow I was sober enough to decline.  She's not a CSW and would guess she may not get tested... could be wrong.

At about 4+ weeks after my "incident" I began to experience a stiff neck.  Within a few days after that I began to feel sore upper, lower arm pains inn my muscles, and calf muscle pains as well as occasional left groin pain. The joints in my fingers fingers also hurt.  Nothing that stops me from doing what I want to do, just bothersome. 

The groin pain has gone away, the pains in my arms and legs and fingers come and go, the neck pain is not bad, but still present. 

*  Never vomited, no rashes that I know of,   
     * No rapid weight loss
    *  No dry cough
    *  No recurring fever or profuse night sweats
    *  No profound and unexplained fatigue
    *  No swollen lymyph glands in the armpits, groin, or neck
    *  No diarrhea that lasts for more than a week
    *  No white spots or unusual blemishes on the tongue, in the mouth, or in the throat
    *  No pneumonia

I am approaching week 7 and still have muscle and joint discomfort. 

The joint and muscle thing is bothering me.  Is one symptom common in ARS or is it always multiple?

I will likely get tested for HIV  soon, but am scared of a false positive...  I understand that they have a finger ***** test at my local clinic that answers in 20 minutes... any thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 03:16:37 pm by greenman92 »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 03:22:04 pm »
Symptoms are so all over the place with ARS that discussion of them is meaningless.  That's why we stick to simply assessing risk based on behavior involved with the scenarios presented.  One can have any, all or none of the supposed "symptoms" of ARS. 

As for your risk...there isn't one.  Handjobs are not a risk for HIV transmission.

Still, if you are a sexually active adult, having an HIV test as part of an overall sexual health screening is a good idea.

A finger ***** test?  You mean a finger stick test?  Any reason you **** out those letters?  If it's because ya hate needles with a passion (as I do), I'd ask for the oral swab test.  It can give you results in 20 minutes as well. 

If you are having health issues right now, you should consult your regular doctor.  This is not an HIV situation.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 03:24:29 pm »
You need to discuss your symptoms with your doctor. Absolutely nothing you are reporting in terms of sexual activities would have put you at risk for HIV transmission. So HIV is absolutely not an issue for you.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline greenman92

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 03:53:01 pm »
I want to first of all add that there was a lot of her vaginal fluid during the handjob.  I noticed I implied, but didn't state that.  Secondly, thank you for your past and future responses...  Also, how can I contribute to this forum? 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 03:59:29 pm »
green,

Her hand could have been absolutely dripping with vaginal juices and you still wouldn't have been at risk for hiv during a handjob. Hiv is transmitted INSIDE the body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

If you mean financial contributions, we no longer accept them. We'd rather you donate to your local Aids Service Organisation. If you mean contribute as in answering people's questions, thanks, but you're not qualified.

You haven't had a risk. Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you won't have one in future either.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline backontrack

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 05:36:40 pm »
Hi Green,

I've been reading your thread with a great degree of interest, as your exposure is identical to the one I had in July 2004.

The only reason I'm posting this is to say that, in spite of having all your symptoms, as well as the ones you mentioned you didn't have, I have tested negative out to 3.5 years. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I tested again due to ongoing symptoms. Even though my health hasn't been the same since that day in 2004, I know that it's not HIV.

Trust Ann when she says you couldn't have HIV. She told me the same back then  ;)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 06:19:30 pm »
Back, however well intentioned, you are not authorized to respond to questioners here. Read our rules in the opening threads. Please don't do it again.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Andy Velez

Offline backontrack

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 07:04:30 pm »
Point taken, Andy.

I've been observing the changing trends in this forum with a certain amount of trepidation. I don't want to make an issue of it, but it does seem sad that it's no longer a peer-group forum. The fact that people in similar situations are not allowed to comfort or reassure one another, doesn't make sense. I understand though that this rule was made mainly to prevent thread hijacking.

The other thing that concerns me is who is regarded as experts, qualified to answer questions. It seems to me that anyone who is positive is by default regarded as an expert. Considering this forum discusses the science of HIV transmission, I would think that only suitably qualified professionals should contribute. Over the last 4 years I have seen many regular contributors come and go, including many who, simply through sheer post volume, became regarded as experts.

In closing, and then I'll leave you to it, I would like to add that the best reassurance is empathy. If I come to this forum because I'm concerned about HIV, I would much prefer to have someone who's had a similar exposure tell me that it's OK. It's all about credibility I suppose.

Keep up the good work.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 07:21:18 pm »
Point taken, Andy.

I've been observing the changing trends in this forum with a certain amount of trepidation. I don't want to make an issue of it, but it does seem sad that it's no longer a peer-group forum. The fact that people in similar situations are not allowed to comfort or reassure one another, doesn't make sense. I understand though that this rule was made mainly to prevent thread hijacking.

The other thing that concerns me is who is regarded as experts, qualified to answer questions. It seems to me that anyone who is positive is by default regarded as an expert. Considering this forum discusses the science of HIV transmission, I would think that only suitably qualified professionals should contribute. Over the last 4 years I have seen many regular contributors come and go, including many who, simply through sheer post volume, became regarded as experts.

In closing, and then I'll leave you to it, I would like to add that the best reassurance is empathy. If I come to this forum because I'm concerned about HIV, I would much prefer to have someone who's had a similar exposure tell me that it's OK. It's all about credibility I suppose.

Keep up the good work.

Back,

It's simply untrue that anyone who is positive can post in this forum. We only allow people who have a good understanding of the science of transmission to answer questions here.

Also, this particular section of these forums is not meant for peer support - its purpose is to disseminate transmission and testing information and risk asssessment ONLY. When we used to allow the worried to answer the worried, it was like the blind leading the blind. UTTER CHAOS.

And you're right about thread hijacking - which is exactly what we are doing right now. If you wish to discuss this further, PM me. DO NOT post in this thread again.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.