Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:38:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 161
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 156
Total: 157

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Depression - emotional, physical and behavioral symptoms  (Read 11016 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Depression - emotional, physical and behavioral symptoms
« on: October 03, 2017, 08:45:19 am »
Remember all to take care of your mental health with as much if not more care than your physical health.

Depression is serious and can also cause physical complains! Common but not exhaustive:

Aches and pain, chronic joint pain, limb pain, back pain, gastrointestinal problems, tiredness, sleep disturbances, psychomotor activity changes, and appetite changes

So do look after yourself.

https://www.poz.com/article/interested-much-lately-clinically-depressed

Depression is a cluster of emotional, physical and behavioral symptoms characterized by sadness, low self-esteem, loss of pleasure and, sometimes, difficulty functioning. We all experience occasional periods of feeling down.

If these problems persist over time, cause real suffering and interfere with the business and pleasure of daily life, you may have a clinical depression.

Depression affects more than 15 million U.S. adults and is one of America’s costliest illnesses. If you think you may be depressed, it’s best to talk to your doctor.
Depression Screening Day is observed the first week in October; a screening tool is available on the Screening for Mental Health website at helpyourselfhelpothers.org.

If you or someone you love is suicidal, seek help immediately. You can call the national suicide prevention hotline at 1.800.273.TALK (1.800.273.8255) or go to your local emergency room.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:48:56 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: Depression - emotional, physical and behavioral symptoms
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 10:43:27 am »
Thanks, Jim.  It's really good to post this type of thing from time to time.  Sometimes this issue gets lost in the storm of pills, pills, pills.  But depression can be as much of a threat to HIV positive people as opportunistic infections--if also left untreated.

Let us not forget that it was two years ago at the end of this month (October 31/November 1, 2015) that one of our most vibrant, witty, and intelligent members--David Sowards (Aka, Miss Philicia)--succumbed to a dark night of the soul.

May he continue to rest in peace.  Those of us on these forums moved and entertained by him will remember him always:

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=64553.0
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 05:31:28 pm »

I thought about the importance of Mental Health when remembering
several Family Members and Friends who have passed and the
Melancholy it brings in addition to one's own daily survival.

I truly appreciate your posts Jim and Ptrk.

Love and Best to Everyone,

OT
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 10:27:06 am »
Having had first hand experience of this,unrelated to Hiv,it can be utterly debilitating.

For the 2 years before i was Dx`d i had a very bad depression,so much so that my Hiv diagnosis paled in comparison.The Doctor said he would prefer to have his leg amputated rather than go through it.

I`m not trying to scare anyone with dramatics,just warn people to respect how you feel and be careful of the slippery slope.It is not unmanly,unwomanly or weak to address how you feel with a professional or share it with a true friend.Be mindful of self isolation.

Also don`t underestimate the power of exercise in the preventative fight against depressive feelings.It is a potent biological agent for well being.

P.
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 01:38:34 am »
@paintedroom

Just wanted to really thank you for sharing that, I really appreciate it, its deeply personal and I know its not easiest thing to share. I do hope you are doing well and have continue to have the support you need. I fully agree with you that people should not face this health concern alone and should not be ashamed to ask for support.

Jim

Personally Ill add that I am fortunate not to have experienced depression myself, however I have sadly been in the position that it affected loved ones, and next to their own lives, it had a profound impact on my life and the other people who loved them. Particularly so when facing the aftermath of what it can lead to.

Talking about depression, people in our community should know it can happen (regardless of HIV or HIV treatment) and it can simply be absolutely devastating however it is not something to be ashamed about and people should not face it alone. There is support and help.

Also sometimes its often missed or not recognized early, particularly when people have other medical needs. Symptoms, including many physical ones can mistakenly be put down to the treatment of and/or other health issues, when in fact the truth is the cause / symptoms are actually from depression setting in.

So it is really important for people to be aware of this, and to be open and clear about what they are experiencing and how they are feeling.

Jim   

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 01:50:56 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 09:59:53 am »
Thank you Jim.

Yes i think the keyword for me to learn in the last years was mindfulness.It`s so important to stay on track and continue to do positive things every day.I understand in Sociological terms they characterise the position today as that of the beleaguered individual - no jobs for life,little job security,family instability,pandemic narcissism,sexual politics,neo-liberalism(nothing new or liberal) reducing us all to vulgar utility,the crisis of authority etc. etc. - this all reduces us to a defensive core of nervous impulses and anxious states,expecting the worst.The flip side of anxiety is depression..they are always related in differing degrees.Many people turn to alcohol,drugs,food etc and make things even worse for themselves.So it is in this shadow that people must learn to have compassion for themselves,allow themselves to feel vulnerable.The culture at large actively fosters competition,meanness,cynicism and paranoia..make sure you have good and trustworthy friends.Stay away from toxic social environments/groups.

The going is pretty dam tough today.Sequester time for yourself and keep the old love alive.

P.
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline den2542

• Life is what you make it, so make it good
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 11:30:53 pm »
In fact because I was feeling extremely extremely sad and found my self spiraling down mentally, and triggered I inadvertently got on this site... and well I read and read so many posts, and realized I have more to be thankful and grateful for. And I found courage and genuine caring. And so if ur a lurker ... post, bc you just don't know if what you got to say or share will help someone, will lift up someone, cheer up someone... it did for me. this dam disease is hell to face all by urself.

Offline den2542

• Life is what you make it, so make it good
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 08:59:41 pm »
Jim et al thank you for posting this. I did take the survey at helpyourselfhelpothers.org I answered as truthfully as I knew I felt at the time. It said I didn't meet the definition of depression but hell I feel bad. And please don't tell me to talk to someone. I'd prolly lose my clearance and I don't feel like telling someone my sob story bc we all have them but at thxgiving and Xmas I always get very very depressed. Nov was when I found out I was poz.  I go from "extreme sadness" to somewhat "ok I got this" to "why me" to "I hate myself for what I did" to "I knew better and still I did it" to "no one will forgive me not even God" to "see everyone hates me, my mom, my ex" to "no one wants an HIV victim to love" to  "why are they changing my meds, bet they are lying to me, I'm failing my regimen and they aren't telling me bc they don't want me to know the truth" so y'all it goes like this... a complete spiral downward of thoughts that have no basis in fact.  It never stops. So it's easier telling a stranger how you feel instead of someone face to face because I find it hard to trust someone. This all stems from childhood abuse so bad it was of the nature of the book called "A Child Called It." So there are things that others post that help me to see how they coped. Like how they felt or thought. Like for example someone said to another poster, "you will love who you will love" when someone asked the same question I asked tonight "who wants me" and with that I am trying to take small steps to love me bc it starts with me, but it's not easy being me. I appreciate everyone who shares about their struggle with depression bc the little things you say might be the big thing in my life that day that helps. Please don't think I'm weird for posting how depressed I get. Like my HIV counselor always told me, it's ok to feel sad... just don't stay there too long... there's a huge time between now and new years eve... I got to get thru the holidays in one piece.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:03:44 pm by den2542 »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 06:46:44 am »
It's terrible to hear about the past abuse and I can only wish you strength in coping with that past in your life.   

I did take the survey at helpyourselfhelpothers.org I answered as truthfully as I knew I felt at the time. It said I didn't meet the definition of depression but hell I feel bad.

An online survey is not going to diagnose you, its a good intro tool to get people thinking but not meeting the definition on an online survey does not mean your are or are not depressed or need support.

And please don't tell me to talk to someone.
So it's easier telling a stranger how you feel instead of someone face to face because I find it hard to trust someone.

As for the HIV and depression, well look we all feel down at times, you can't have highs without lows. I'm concerned to hear that you think the rest of the world see you as "HIV victim" and that nobody wants you because of that. I hope this is not a continued thought process. Therapy can and does help people, sometimes we all need someone to talk to and I get that you don't want to talk to someone face to face and a stranger may make things easier, personally i think the same. Have you considered perhaps at least talking to someone over the phone?

Look maybe i am way off base, but to me it sounds like you have a lot on your plate between being sick and also coping with a past and current thoughts. I do think you should talk to someone even if its by phone, depression and mood problems can cause so many physical problems and long term mental health problems is something to be taken very seriously.

I am glad to hear that reading the forum helps, I hope you continue to use it.   

Jim
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:06:42 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 04:46:37 pm »
I am bumping this thread.

The reason is its truly worth reading and it goes into the wide range of symptoms including physical ones. A few weeks post starting this thread the mod team re-wrote the welcome thread to this section as we felt so strongly about this as a topic  and still do. Treating (suppressing) HIV is fine and dandy but once that is the case the emotional and mental well-being of people is absolutely critical.

Updated welcome thread: https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=69487.0

I can not stress enough that if you are at all suffering from any mental or emotional well-being challenges, no matter what the perceived cause please do speak to someone. There is no need to face this alone and no shame in seeking support.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline MarkintheDark

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 08:44:29 pm »
I hadn't run across this thread previously.  My case may be a little different than some.   I was diagnosed with clinical depression a few years prior to my HIV dx.  Yeah, the HIV exacerbated it, but I'm on treatment.

Speaking from my own experience, clinical depression is more than "the blues."  It's not a matter of, "oh, snap out of it."  The comparison I often use is whether you'd demand of someone in a wheelchair that they just get over it, get up and walk.  That's how crippling it is for those saddled.  Clinical depression is an ongoing biochemical issue affecting thinking, mood and behavior.  Therapy is just one tool used to treat it in addition to meds.  Again from my own experience, it's crucial the therapist chosen understands the difference between just being down and clinical depression.  Unbelievably, some do not.

A particularly good online resource I've found is DepressionForums.org (https://www.depressionforums.org/forums/forum/12-depression-central/).  It's been online for nearly 15 years and has been a particularly safe, welcoming place for me to be out in every sense of the word.  I can be completely out as a gay man with HIV.

Format is similar to here.  Site loads quickly and the mods, imo, rock.
HIV dx - 02/93
AIDS dx - 07/01
Rilpivirine/Cabotegravir guinea pig since 01/17

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 08:55:30 pm »
Speaking from my own experience, clinical depression is more than "the blues."  It's not a matter of, "oh, snap out of it."  The comparison I often use is whether you'd demand of someone in a wheelchair that they just get over it, get up and walk.

Exactly.

The real health mag also has a lot on this and a forum as well.
 https://www.realhealthmag.com/basics/health-basics#_health-basics_mental-health

Ill be honest one of the reasons (not the only one) for bumping this thread (selfishly) was I lost a 6th person in my own Family to suicide last night (aged 35) ... Route cause if you ask me and my training was untreated depression , prehaps bi-polar as it runs on that side of the family and I also had to attended (yet) another funeral in the last week of someone living with HIV who medically (HIV wise) was fine but could not cope with the depression and stigma

Half the people living with HIV are medically treated as in suppressing the virus through medication but far too many of that group are lost due to mental well-being issues.

I tend to see us jumping to concussions on physical issues being side effects from meds and concerns, when it might as well someone totally unrelated or even mental or emotional well-being issues paying a hand causing them and as I think we all know or understand i hope deterioration can be sudden as the outside world may not see  it.

Jim 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:09:37 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 11:31:37 pm »
My thoughts are with you, Jim, on your recent and breathtakingly sad loss.

Depression among those living with the HIV is as dangerous, often, if not more, than the virus.

The practice of mindfulness and gratitude can stave off and control the illness of depression, as can professional mental-health support and appropriate medication (when applicable and appropriate): untreated depression is  as deleterious to one's health as untreated HIV-infection.

Long term treatment of the HIV-positive population must attend to body, mind, and, for those of a spiritual nature, soul.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 05:14:46 am »
My thoughts are with you, Jim, on your recent and breathtakingly sad loss.

Thanks for the thought, appreciate it.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline blackbeauty40

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 02:46:40 pm »
I don’t want to write my entire life story here but, I was diagnosed with depression in my teens, been through all kinds of treatment that wasn’t really effective. Because of this, I just learned to live with it. When I was told I was positive in 1992, my family immediately wanted nothing to do with me. All this time, I’ve tried to deal with having no emotional support. Admittedly, it has been hard. I ended up putting up a wall that stops me from feeling anything. The surprising thing is that once I was put on meds, I was able to take them pretty much as I should have. However, in January 2018, I was faced with a health issue that required attention – a brain tumor. Fortunately, it was a benign tumor but it caused severe physical problems and impacted my ability to work and forced me to go on medical leave. I had surgery in March to remove it but since I have no support, depression has now gotten the best of me. I adhered to my regimen until April and just completely stopped taking my medications. Feeling the way I do, I don’t see the point of taking meds. I’ve tried to find someone to talk to but due to state budget cuts, not much is available. I have noticed that in the almost 6 months since I’ve stopped my meds, I’m physically feeling horrible. Almost daily chest pressure/pain and for the past two weeks, I feel like I have the flu although it’s too early for flu season. Sadly, if these physical things are related to not being on a drug regimen, I’m not sure they would be enough to restart meds. The depression is like a big, bad, rude roommate that just takes over everything in my life. I feel trapped, unheard and not understood at all.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2018, 03:03:52 pm »
Just a short note as I'm on my phone.

Damn very sorry to hear about the brain tumor, benign as it turned out to be I can't begin to imagine how stressful or scary of i time it must have been for you besides the physical aspect.

Feeling the way I do, I don’t see the point of taking meds. I’ve tried to find someone to talk to but due to state budget cuts, not much is available. I have noticed that in the almost 6 months since I’ve stopped my meds, I’m physically feeling horrible. Almost daily chest pressure/pain and for the past two weeks, I feel like I have the flu although it’s too early for flu season. Sadly, if these physical things are related to not being on a drug regimen, I’m not sure they would be enough to restart meds. The depression is like a big, bad, rude roommate that just takes over everything in my life. I feel trapped, unheard and not understood at all.

Truly sorry to hear about how much pain you are in now, and im not just talking about the physical feelings. The feeling trapped, alone really sounds terrible and I do hope this changes.

You mentioned not having people to talk to and state funding being cut. Just wondering if have you considered or looked at any peer support networks ?

Anyhow wishing you well

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline blackbeauty40

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 07:04:41 am »
Thanks for your reply. As far as looking at support groups, there are none in my area. The nearest group is about 2 hours away - and that's driving. That makes things even more difficult.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.