Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:03:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 340
Total: 340

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: subsidize Atripla side effects  (Read 16926 times)

Offline azprince

subsidize Atripla side effects
« on: May 23, 2009, 12:54:54 am »
I read about Atripla side effects such as nightmares and dizzy feeling and aches, are there any medications that could help in dealing with such side effects , any experience in dealing with such side effects through other medications?
I have to admit : the good thing is that from now on;  I have no option but to succeed , still its ok to worry :))

Offline OneMoreGuy

Re: subsidize Atripla side effects
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 03:34:57 am »
Hi. I have been on Atripla for since January 2008. I did experience the dreams and dizziness effects for the first 30 days, but nothing else. I am a psychologist and have HIV patients who are also on Atripla. The dreams seem to depend on one of two things: what you watch on TV before you go to sleep and your mental state. You can control what you watch on TV. So, if you want to avoid the nightmares, watch something non-violent. As far as your mental state, only you can change that. To take care of the dizziness, I took my med as night, just before going to bed.

There have been quite a few threads written in this Forum about people taking Atripla. As you will find out, it affects people differently. The majority can cope with it, a few cannot. Side effects normally will not last longer than 30 days, but if you start taking Atripla and you still have side effects after 30 days (except for the nightmares), you might have to go on a different combo.

Because of my busy schedule, I have been taking Atripla in the morning when I wake up (otherwise, I forget to take it at night) and I can get along with my day without any problems and without the need of taking any other kind of meds.

Good luck with your treatment and let us know how you are coming along.

Cheers.
Psychologist, PhD
Counseling patients with HIV since Jan 1991
HIV since Dec 2005
There are three parts to any successful relationship (platonic or romantic): trust, honesty and communication

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 05:02:22 am »
Its more accurate to say that the sustiva causes SOME people to have "wild dreams".  That is, you often hear or read the word "nightmares" about these dreams - but some people who DO dream don't get nightmares -- they just have wild extravagant dreams. 

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline azprince

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 02:30:14 pm »
That is encouraging, thanks
I have to admit : the good thing is that from now on;  I have no option but to succeed , still its ok to worry :))

tjtxtj

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 10:38:32 pm »
I've been taking Atripla for 4 months. At first I thought, "Oh good, I love to dream anyways!!" I can now say that after 4 months the dreaming has become, at times, torture. It's like I do not have any down time mentall...and also the dreams are usually quite emotionally draining.
I couldn't understand why someone would stop taking a med just because of vivid dreams, but I can now relate.
The dizziness has subsided and really isn't a bother, so like the psychologist mentioned above, I might consider taking the Atripla in the morning. I've inadvertently had to do that a few times when I realized I forgot to take my pill before I went to bed....and I was able to function normally throughout the day.

Offline azprince

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 11:25:15 am »
I read somewhere that you can split the tablet into 2 pieces and take half on the night and half in the morning , how ok that would be?

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 12:58:42 pm »
Splitting a tablet sounds like a bad idea. 
Are you actually on Atripla (sustiva?) ?

There are ways to experiment with timing and meals etc, etc. to find the minimum possible side effects. If you aren't on this combo yet, you don't know how your body will deal, or not.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline azprince

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 03:40:04 pm »
I am due to start Atripla next week, I am only concerned about facial wasting and fatigue, everything else could be dealt with, I wish there is a way to avoid facial wasting, do u have any statistics about Atripla and wasting percentage? how long does it take to develop it?

Offline mecch

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 04:32:51 pm »
You are jumping the gun by years and years.  Atripla is not a combination that is linked to facial wasting.

This is information you can find most reputable places on the net - here, at Thebody, etc etc.

However, I am guessing the best source would be someone who KNOWS you and your health - so you can talk to your doctor - he/she should set your mind at ease about some of these concerns. Make a list of everything possible and discuss.

You are obsessing a bit much about the future.

First you say you are worried about dreams, dizzy feelings and aches.  Now you are worried about facial wasting and fatigue.  You see?

I bet you are just worried, in general, about going on HAART. 

Don't worry about a lot of this side effect stuff - you might very well just feel fine!  Cross the bridge when you come to it. 

Don't sit there expecting and preparing for the worst, OK.

Concentrate on what's good.  Job? Family? Friends? If you are going to be treated with HAART, that's actually a good thing! It's going to stop HIV in your body.  That's great - so accentuate "the positive"

Offline hivsweden

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 05:00:54 pm »
Hi azprince,

I was on Sustiva (the component in Atripla that is most common to give side effects) for almost 9 years. After experimenting I found that it worked best for me if I made sure to not eat (especially fatty food) within 2 hours of taking the meds and making sure to take them at least 9-10 hours before getting up in the morning.

Eating too close to taking the meds increased the dizzyness/numbness and taking them too close before bedtime made me feel groggy in the morning.

But, as other posters point out - all people are different and will experience side effects differently.  Try Atripla for a couple of months, try experimenting with the time that suits you best to take it and if you feel that the side effects are other than mild after the test time, then I strongly suggest you try a different combo.

It is an effective combo and easy to take and chances are that you won't experience any annoying side effects so don't knock it before trying.

Good luck!

Offline azprince

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 05:41:20 pm »
Thank you HIV Sweden, I know I am extremely worried, dont we all at a certain point, I know that side effects are different, yet I was wondering in my original post that if I witnessed any, should I be armed with any medication that could help, in addition I read that Facial wasting is the most depressing side effect that usually causes problems to people, knowing that I already have excessive anxiety , I wanted to put my mind at ease by trying to prepare before it happens or even avoid it.
I know that I might not have it, I pray for that , but if I had it, then is it because of the Sustiva that is in Atripla? is switching to another combo a solution to avoid Facial wasting?
I understand that the point is to control HIV, I understand this but I am trying to make the cost less, by trying to avoid facial wasting which as I read is considered an important issue that faces HIV+ pepole, yet I am not sure how is it connected to Atripla, in the side effects of Atripla it is mentioned, but I wanted some factual facts to what percent experience it when on Atripla...
Wishing that people here dont get frustrated, we all have our concerns bout things that might seem silly to others

Offline mecch

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 07:42:47 pm »
Read a basic lesson about Facial Wasting - lipoatrophy - on this site:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Lipoatrophy_4796.shtml

Do you have an HIV doctor?  He/She can explain to you that you will be on very safe, very effective HAART, and that you cannot focus on the LONG LONG lists of side effects that are in the little book that comes with the medicine. Or LONG LONG lists of possible side effects that you can read on the net.

You doctor will monitor your body and face for changes.  Body shape changes, if any, depends on A LOT of factors and your doctor can explain which factors apply and do not apply to you. 

If your numbers never went very low for long, and you are starting on today's combinations, such as Aripla, you are not in the high risk for facial wasting. 

If for some unfortunate reason you had signs of facial wasting, the doctor will change your combinations to see if it can stop it. The combination change will depend on a lot of factors, which you cannot anticipate now.

Offline newbie05

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 09:41:17 pm »
I have been on Atripla since April 8. I have never had a side effect. I take it around 9 each evening. One thing I do notice is that I have EXTREME hunger pains all the time. I can eat lunch and immediately become severely hungry. Sometimes in the mornings, I can't tell if it is hunger or nausea. When I take a nausea pill it helps, but other times it is just hunger. Does anyone else have this issue?

Offline azprince

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 11:48:46 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, I guess since Atripla is a new drug not much is known about it.
body changes are the nightmare for many... I guess because its associated with social stigma...anyway let me discuss it with my doctor, the problem is that she is more worried about the mental side effects only in my case, since I have already severe depression

Offline mecch

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 03:45:22 am »
Good idea - discuss with the doctor.

Also, ATRIPLA is NOT a new HAART medication.  It is three anti-virals in one pill. Two different companies joined to put their drugs in this pill. Its just the one-pill form that is new.

The Atripla pill has been on the market for 3 years.  The drugs in it have been around longer - up to 10 years -- and are very well known.

A LOT is known about it, a lot of research, a lot of treatment experience. 

Please talk to both your Doctor and your mental health counselor, they will help you fight your fears with information. 

Offline hivsweden

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 03:25:08 pm »
Azprince: As meech says, don't worry about side effects in advance. Atripla is not a high risk medicin with regards to wasting. And if you should get wasting symptoms it won't happen overnight so there will be lots of time to notice it and change to a different combo if/when it becomes a problem.

It is very probable you will experience some or many side effects to start with and they will probably diminish or completely disappear within the first month and then you will find the best time for you to take the meds. For most it would be before going to sleep while a few prefer taking them during the morning.

If you experience side effects that aren't tolerable, then try a different combo. And by the time any long term effects show themselves (if ever) there will be new treatments on the market you can switch to.

It sucks starting with meds, but it will get better and it will be something you don't think about, just another daily routine.

Offline azprince

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 10:53:02 pm »
I am trying to hope for new and more tolerant meds, some how it seems that news about new meds are not coming a lot !
I hope they will bring us new meds that are more tolerant and easier to take, it has been such a revolution in the last 10 years, so I hope within the coming two years there will be a less toxic medication....just hoping

Offline TigNYC

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 02:41:14 pm »
I started Atripla exactly two weeks ago......I took my pill the first night, expecting all hell to break loose.....but it wasn't so bad....dizzy the entire following day and a loss of appetite for a couple of days......but I have to say, two weeks in...I FEEL GREAT!  It is the first med I am taking after being poz for 5 years and I was scared....but honestly.....I actually feel better now than I did before I was taking the Atripla! The first ten days of dizzy was well worth it to feel so good now!!

Stick with it, and even tho everyone has different experiences with their meds...I can't say enough about how good I feel!!!

Offline hivsweden

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 03:57:22 pm »
azprince: It can't get much easier than today with several once daily regimens available. Less side effects is something we can hope for, but already today many people can find combos which are essentially side effect free. Today I think the biggest challenge is to provide better alternatives for people who have resistent hiv.

My current regimen with Kivexa/Reyataz/Norvir is a once daily 3 tablet combo. I'm not suffering of any side effects that I notice.

In contrast the first combos had lots of tablets which had to be taken 3-4 times a day and some had to be taken with food and others had to be taken without so one had to be really organised to be able to juggle meds, food, work and life. Or even worse, one could have been on liquid Norvir which is one of the most foul tasting meds ever made.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 10:19:27 pm »
I occasionally take a sleeping pill (ambien) with my Atripla to sleep through the dizziness+dreams and to get a good night's sleep.  It helps a lot.  I did have major LSD-like dreams the first night I took Atripla (they were actually really cool) but these "trips" faded out within two weeks.  The dizziness, which used to last all night, now only lasts about two hours.  Good luck with the Atripla-some call it a "miracle pill" : )

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 09:49:58 pm »
yeah i had to take Restoril to get to sleep while taking Acripla
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline mecch

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 07:09:02 am »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 10:20:54 am »
I am trying to hope for new and more tolerant meds, some how it seems that news about new meds are not coming a lot !
I hope they will bring us new meds that are more tolerant and easier to take, it has been such a revolution in the last 10 years, so I hope within the coming two years there will be a less toxic medication....just hoping

Huh?  Actually there were plenty of new HIV meds that are entirely tolerable that were FDA approved in the past three years: Prezista, Isentress, Selzentry and Intelence.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline AboutToStart

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2009, 09:56:30 pm »
I occasionally take a sleeping pill (ambien) with my Atripla to sleep through the dizziness+dreams and to get a good night's sleep.  It helps a lot.  I did have major LSD-like dreams the first night I took Atripla (they were actually really cool) but these "trips" faded out within two weeks.  The dizziness, which used to last all night, now only lasts about two hours.  Good luck with the Atripla-some call it a "miracle pill" : )

Hey GNYC09,

So does the Ambien work well for you with the Atripla? I'm not taking any HIV meds yet but I do take  Ambien CR to help me sleep better at nights.. I will start Atripla soon so I was wondering if those two are work out together well..  You say you still take it occasionally to help with dizziness and dreams.. how far into usage of Atripla are you still having those side effects??

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 11:09:49 pm »
Hi, yes, the Ambien is just as fantastic with the Atripla as it was without.  I took Ambien every night the first two weeks I was on Atripla but try to take Ambien as little as possible now. I'm 7 weeks into using the Atripla and don't feel the dizzingess anymore but do remember my dreams every morning, which I really like (rarely remembered them pre-Atripla).  I take 5mg of the Ambien btw.   

Offline AboutToStart

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 10:35:28 pm »
Well sure looks like the Atripla is working nicely with improving your numbers that quick GNYC... good luck and thanx for the info/input..

Offline mecch

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 11:10:24 am »
I am on Intelence.  Its supposed to be kind of a new improved sustiva type drug. I had wild dream on sustiva.  Lately, it seems like they are returning on a regular basis with the Intelence. 
They seem, I dunno, more psychologically insightful then I ever remember in my life. Maybe they are just more vivid and I remember them better than I used to before HAART. 

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 05:38:36 pm »
AboutToStart, thank you for your comment.  It may be that the Atripla contributed to most of the drop in my VL but I personally think it's also do to the daily visualizations/meditations I did.  I don't mean to get all "New Agey" but each time I take my Atripla pill, I imagine it shooting all the HIV viruses and my bone marrow producing more T-cells.  Hey, it can't hurt ; )

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 09:27:49 pm »
funny typo
that was no typo. I lovingly refer to that combo as Acripla the CRipla! :-\
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline planonstaying

• Hiv is the FOX,tcells the rabbit, CALL the HOUNDS!
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 07:21:52 am »
I am on day three. I have had nausea  all morning and that  drunken stupid feeling right before bed. I  kind of feel like I am  hungover in the morning  w/o the headache stuff is s little spinny. I have been taking off work but tomorrow I'll return. This isn't so bad at all. Before  bed when dozing  I have had  "wakeful" dreams? It's weird it's like I  dream part of the tv show and watch part but, that's the Que. to sleep. All in all I am thrilled it's very tolerable.
If someone tells you  potential consequences of a behavior  it  doesn't  mean they jude you or mit    they may just give a shit about you

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.