Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:03:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 581
Total: 583

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Living with HIV and Herpes  (Read 14941 times)

Offline spicy1

Living with HIV and Herpes
« on: July 20, 2006, 02:16:06 pm »
Hey

I want to hear from anyone thats living with HIV and Herpes how they have coped with the 2 and whether there is any link to Herpes increasing the rapid progression of HIV? ive run several searches on the net and there isnt much information on effects of living with both apart from the fact that pple who have Herpes stand higher chances of contracting HIV as well as chances of having a bad attack of herpes are higher when your immune system is down. what are the effects of taking Herpes repressive medication when on HIV meds?

Offline fearless

Re: Living with HIV and Herpes
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 12:46:27 am »
hey Spicy1,

I have both. For me, herpes is a pain in the butt, literally :o. I only get the occassional attack and I cope just fine most of the time. When I'm having an attack, well, that's a different story - I'm about as much fun as a piece of shit on a stick.
I take Kaletra and Truvada as my HIV meds and Valtrex for the herpes. There are no negative side effects that I am aware. I tend to only take Valtrex when I feel an attack coming on, but I also used it as suppressive therapy for about 6 months, and again no problemo.

All the best

Steve
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Cliff

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 04:52:14 am »
I'm in the same boat as Lil Steve.  Actually a lot of folks are dual infected, at least from previous discussions we've had in the forums.  So you're not alone.  I think in the past, HSV2 led to a faster progression to AIDS, (because of constant immune activation in battling the herpes virus).  But I don't think this is such a big issue anymore because of HAART.

After being diagnosed, I was put on Valtrex for suppressive therapy.  I was on it, (off and on), from 03 to Dec. 05.  My doctor here in the UK wanted me to try not being on suppressive therapy.  I didn't have outbreaks when I was on suppressive therapy.  I've had a couple since, (all but one were small and uneventful).  The big one was bad.

I do not have any side effects from Valtrex (even when I was on HIV meds).

You just have to know the warning signs and have a stash of Valtrex (or the other option they give folks) available.  If you're having multiple outbreaks, you should speak to your doctor about getting on suppressive therapy.

Take care,

Cliff

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 05:44:25 am »
Hey Spicy, yes, I have them both too. I always have medication (tablets) at home to take immediately when I feel it start. My cd4 count going up, I get fewer outbreaks that I used too.

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline spicy1

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 01:17:43 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys. Ive been having small outbeaks but the last one which was 2 weeks ago was nasty and scared me out of my brains. Im planning to go on supressive medication now but i keep asking myself when these viruses will ever come to an end........................... i guess thats a million dollar question that nobody has an answer to. :)

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 06:15:14 pm »
I have HIV, HPV and HSV. My new doc put me on suppressive therapy for the herpes and it is all I'm taking so far. I was having pretty frequent outbreaks. Small but still bothersome. I'm taking Acyclovir 400mg twice a day. The HPV was pretty active too. I've had two procedures (one to remove part of my cervix) for it and haven't had problems since the last one. I've only been on the Acyclovir for a week or so and haven't had any trouble or outbreaks.
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline General

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 07:58:38 pm »
I was diagnosed in March and had a horrible outbreak shortly after starting on Sustiva and Truvada.  A week after the outbreak began, my doc put me on Valtrex.  By then my bottom lip looked like a science project and it still took an additional 2 weeks for it to totally clear up.  I took the Valtrex for a few more weeks, but stopped when I ran out.  I got a refill, but didn't take it because I thought I was ok for the moment.  A few days ago I started feeling that all too familiar and today I see the beginnings of the sore.  Have started taking Valtrex again, but think I should have been taking it all along.  After reading the responses here, I think I'll just take the Valtrex consistently...whether there's an outbreak or not.  I can't go through another 3 plus weeks of what I experienced a few months ago.

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 10:15:02 pm »
Hi General,

I would talk to your doctor before you just start taking the Valtrex all the time. Herpes can be treated when you feel the outbreak coming on or there is suppressive therapy. I'm not sure but there might also be different dosages for the suppressive therapy and more or less pills to take each day. I would definitely talk to your doc before doing this on your own. Also your first outbreak is usually the worst. I hope things heal quickly for you.
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 06:48:32 am »
Spicy,

I've had herpes for 25 years now... sheesh, that makes me feel old! Anyway, while herpes won't necessarily accelerate your hiv infection, if you are having regular outbreaks it is wise to go on suppressive therapy. Your body doesn't need to be dealing with herpes all the time if it can be helped. Your body needs that energy to keep hiv in check.

I'd like to offer a tip for any of you who get herpes on your bottom. It can make having a bowel movement painful - especially when it comes time to wipe. I keep a packet of unscented baby wipes in my bathroom for just such an occasion - it really makes a difference where the pain is concerned. The baby wipes will also keep the area cleaner which is a big consideration. An open herpes lesion is a place where bacteria can take hold, giving you a secondary bacterial infection. Not nice. Double ouch! After using a baby wipe, be sure to pat the area dry with some regular toilet paper. Always keep herpes lesions as dry as possible.

I also take travel packets of baby wipes out with me at all times, because not only do they make dealing with herpes easier, they are also much kinder to a diarrhea-sore bottom.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bimazek

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 12:32:18 am »
http://www.herpes.org.uk/

i trust the england and canada health sites because they are rational and not overly religious moral insanity here in usa... 

Dr George Kinghorn, "What I am suggesting is that to be infected with a herpes simplex virus is a state of normality. We tend to make this into a big deal instead of to say that to be infected with herpes virus is something that happens to all adults, some with symptoms and some of us without."

What other 'herpes' sites don't tell you

1. Most people have herpes simplex - 70% have facial herpes (cold sores) and 10% have genital herpes in the UK. These figures are even higher in other countries including the USA and the developing world.
   2. Three quarters don't know they have it: 1 in 4 will have no symptoms; 2 in 4 will have only mild symptoms and are unlikely to be diagnosed; 1 in 4 will have more noticeable symptoms and will be diagnosed.
   3. Herpes simplex is seldom of any medical importance - some people are quite ill when they catch it but so are some people who catch flu.
   4. It is not incurable - your immune system cures it very well and stops recurrences for most people.
   5. There are good treatment methods for the unlucky few - medication or herbal treatments and improved lifestyle management.
   6. It's not the only infection that stays with us once we catch it - chickenpox and glandular fever also hide in the body but no one makes a fuss about them.

Other web sites may exaggerate the worst cases and seek to make you believe herpes is a big deal. Don't be fooled

Dr George Kinghorn, GU consultant in Sheffield told us: "What I am suggesting to you is that to be infected with a herpes simplex virus is a state of normality. We tend to make this into a big deal instead of to say that to be infected with herpes virus is something that happens to all adults, some with symptoms and some of us without." Read the full text of Dr Kinghorn's talk here

There are eight human herpesviruses. (Medical texts refer to herpesvirus as one word.) Also, every animal species that has been investigated also has its own herpesvirus. What these viruses all have in common is the ability to hide out in the body without causing symptoms, and then reappear at a later date. The human herpesvirus family includes:

1. herpes simplex virus type 1 (cold sores and whitlows on fingers and hands, also half new cases of genital herpes)
2. herpes simplex virus type 2 (genital sores, also sometimes cold sores and whitlows)

The other viruses caught quite different illnesses. These are:

3. varicella-zoster virus (also called herpes varicella/chickenpox and herpes zoster/shingles)
4. Epstein Barr virus (often abbreviated to EBV)
5. cytomegalovirus (CMV)
6. human herpesvirus 6 (HHV6)
7. human herpesvirus 7 (HHV7)
8. human herpesvirus 8 (HHV8 or it can be called KSHV - see below)

1 - Herpes simplex virus type 1 (short version - see also cold sores):
How common? By age 15 around 25% of UK population, by age 30 around 50%. The rates are much higher in other countries.

Herpes simplex virus type 2  (short version - see also our Frequently asked questions):
How common? Around 25% of the sexually active UK population. Over the whole country between 3% and 10%. The rates are much higher in other countries.
How is it caught? By direct skin contact with the affected part, when the virus is active.
How long before it appears (incubation period)? 4 or 5 days is usual, but it could be as soon as 2 days or as long as two weeks - or even longer.
What does it cause? Often nothing, at its most obvious it causes a flu-like illness followed by blisters or ulcers on the affected skin. If it recurs, there are likely to be fewer blisters.

3. Varicella-zoster virus (short version - see also our shingles and post-herpetic neuralgia pages):
How common? Almost 100% of UK population by adulthood. However in tropical countries the rates are much lower.

4. Epstein Barr virus (EBV, also called glandular fever, mononucleosis, mono, kissing disease):
How common? Virtually everybody worldwide.

5. Cytomegalovirus  (CMV)
How common? Half the population has CMV by a young age, with higher rates of infection in poorer areas.

8. Human herpesvirus 8 (also called Karposi's sarcoma herpes virus or KSHV) How common? This virus is quite common in some parts of the world. In Europe and the US it is not very common - under 10% have it.

Offline BKNYLivin

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 01:28:16 am »
I'm on suppressive therapy Acyclovir 400mg twice a day and hadn't had an outbreak for ages until I started Atripla 3 weeks ago and it was the longest I've ever had.
Recent studies are suggesting Valtrex/Valacyclovir might be helpful in suppressing/fighting the HIV virus, but the study was done on women and their viral loads were reduced(more in the genital tract I believe). Might be helpful in reducing the risk of HIV infection for serodiscordant couples etc etc
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=79541

Diagnosed 9/18/06
10/13/06 - CD4:449, 33%,  VL:>500,000
11/20/06 - CD4: 392  VL:425,000
02/08/07 - CD4: 361, 16.9% VL:133,000
02/13/07 - Started HAART: Atripla
03/08/07 - CD4:401, 23.8% VL:643
06/05/07 - CD4:614, 33.6% VL:225
09/14/07 - CD4:612, 37%  VL: <50
12/14/07 - CD4:582, 38.5% VL:<50
4/11/08 - CD4: 658, VL: <50
3/5/09 - CD4: 847, 49% VL: <50
7/29/09 - CD4: 965, 50.1% VL: <50
12/28/09 - CD4: 925, 49.2% vl <50
9/16/10 - CD4: 1011 vl: <50

Offline Finisterrae

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 06:11:33 am »
I've had herpes for nearly 21 years. As well as Ann I have taken suppressive therapy at a time, years past, that bouts had gotten to be too regular (5 - 6 times a year). In those days my inmune system was seriously affected (120 CD4s) and lifestyle habbits were not the most healthy ones: too much stress, unbalanced and healthy diet, too much cigarrettes and caffeine. All of this I've gotten to be able to control through the years which has turned out to practical dissapearance of those "pain in the..." bouts. Now I can have only about one every second year, not very significant disturbance while taking aciclovir and topic applications of alluminium acetate which helps to keep dry the zone affected.
Poz hugs to all of you from Spain

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.