Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:30:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 380
Total: 381

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

Dates for 2009 AMG.

Aug
21 (51.2%)
Sep
15 (36.6%)
Oct
4 (9.8%)
Any  other time of the year
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Dates of 2009 AMG  (Read 15080 times)

Offline Robert

Dates of 2009 AMG
« on: September 20, 2008, 06:26:58 pm »
I  noticed over in the Hotel Thread something about August dates for AMG.  This is the first I've ever heard of that. The AMG guy said,

" (...The date)... is another topic that is a major issue year after year.  It was to my understanding from our discussions in Mexico City we were sticking with August.  Those who voted for September all stated they could/would attend if AMG was in August. 

If the collective group would like to hammer this out (IN A SEPERATE THREAD), feel free to do so. 

Well here is that seperate thread.  I've put down 4 weeks of August and 3 weeks of Sept.  (I assuming the first weekend of Sept is the Labor Day weekend which is not a good day for travel.)

ALso there is nothing magical about late summer or early fall.  If any of you would prefer winter or spring, let us know.

Please vote.  You can change your vote any time.

Offline AMG Coordinator

Re: Dates of 2009 AMG
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 06:58:57 pm »
May I suggest you widen your vote parameters to either August OR September.  By voting down to the week you significantly limit yourselves. 

A lower group rate may be available one week in August/September over another.  By voting for the month rather than week I have greater flexibility in obtaining the best available rate for the group.

If you continue to the vote with these parameters I highly recommend researching any events which may take place during the week you are voting for.  Special events, festivals, and large conventions may impact the hotel rate.

Dennis

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 07:10:02 pm »
Dennis....

no problem. 

I have voted for Sept. It's fall in the NE. Fall follage is gorgeous (so I'm told.  I've only seen pictures) and there is a nip in the year.

robert

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 07:14:59 pm »
I voted for August cuz the kids won't be in school yet but I live in Mass so I can travel back and forth, if need be.
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 07:25:12 pm »
I voted for Aug, although it doesn't really matter to me -- just so long as we know as early as possible.  As for fall foliage -- in Sept, you are going to have to travel a bit north of Boston to see great foliage -- it doesn't peak in the Boston area until well into October.

Mike

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 09:53:57 pm »
I chose September because things are usually cheaper after Labor Day weekend.  August is fine, too, and so is October. 

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 07:23:02 pm »

Please vote.  You can change your vote any time.

Hey Robert

I have tried to change my vote, but don't see the option for doing so.  Am I missing something?

Also I think it's important to mention that one of the problems with using the poll option, is that anyone can participate in the  decision making process anonymously.  Meaning that anyone can vote, whether they are actually invested in attending or not.  Not that anyone would do that of course.

I just think a more honest reflection of those who hope/plan to attend might be represented by a vote where members actually take ownership of their preference.

I've tried to consider all of the positives and negatives and August seems to be the best choice, all things considered. 

But I'll go with whatever is an honest reflection of those who plan/hope to attend prefer.

RAB

Offline Dennis

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 07:37:12 pm »
Can someone please advise why it's necessary to vote on which month AMG is going to be held every year.  The first couple of years AMG was held in September.  This halted those in school/or have kids in school from attending.  When planning for AMG 2008 began, we compromised on August to open AMG up to more people.  Besides, most people who voted for September also stated they would and could attend in August.  In Mexico City this subject came up and it was the same scenario all over.  Those who preferred September also stated they could and would attend if AMG was in August.

In my opinion, an annual event such as AMG should be held the same month every year. As much as we all like democracy, there cannot be a vote for each and every single aspect of AMG.  The vote is never fully representative of everyone who actually attends AMG and an abundant number of votes hinders the planning process.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 09:16:02 pm »
September offers lower  travels costs, which matters to many potential attendees who have limited funds outside their ADLs. I think we originally voted on September for last year, with some of us, including me, recasting our votes for August to accommodate the people you mentioned.

I prefer September because it's cooler and it's closer to my birthday. I can go in August, because I can afford it, but I will not forget Montreal (which was August) and the Grants Committee which gave me the opportunity to attend when I couldn't afford it myself.  If lower travel costs mean more people have the opportunity to join us, I'm all for that, just like I said I would attend in August. I'm for it all.

I just want to hug and kiss everyone!

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 09:43:17 pm »
 Hi RAB...

I tried to edit the poll but I don't see the option where you can change your vote.  I know what you're talking about, I've seen it before.  I'll pm the powers that be and ask them for their help.

Dennis.

I agree with Bosquo.  The goal of AMG is to get the most number of people to attend.  That's why I'm open to offering 2 months and see what options are open to everyone.  I think what I need to do is post in the 'Living With'and 'Off Topic' and give others a chance to vote. 

robert

Offline Blixer

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 12:28:30 am »
I decided my original comment probably brought more complication than solution.  So I did a major edit.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 08:29:38 am by Blixer »
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 01:14:33 am »
My point being, this is an annual event that has occurred for 4 consecutive years now.  After 4 years, there should be some consistencies that remain year after year, making the planning of this event easier with each passing year.  Instead, year after year, the same issues are debated time and time again.  And time and time again we still fail to meet the needs of each and every single person, regardless of how many polls are placed out there.

With everything else taking place in my life at this time (school, career change, book writing), I'm afraid to say I just don't have the time nor the patience to act as coordinator this year.  It was my hope to speed up the planning process this year and get the basis out of the way such as time of year and accommodations so that I may have a good year to work on the other events and aspects of the weekend.  I anticipated 2009 to be much larger than San Francisco, therefore taking more time to plan.  I know I'm being selfish, but this just isn't happening in a timely manner for myself to act effectively as coordinator. 

I have put a few pm's out there requesting a replacement to takeover but have not had any response.  If anyone is interested in taking over the role as AMG Coord. please speak up.

Dennis

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 10:38:35 am »
Hi RAB...

I tried to edit the poll but I don't see the option where you can change your vote.  I know what you're talking about, I've seen it before.  I'll pm the powers that be and ask them for their help.

robert

Robert

I see that we now have the option.  However, with the totals tied, I'm not going to be the one who changes and alters.  My mama didn't raise no fool!   ;)  My original vote of August was based on what I thought would work out best for the majority, but now it seems that may not be the case, so I'm willing to reconsider if others are as well.

Dennis

I understand you are feeling spread a little thin and are frustrated at the moment.  I think we've all sort of noticed that in some of your recent posts.

But I'm hoping that once this last issue (dates) gets decided, then things will settle down. You've taken us this far and I hope you'll reconsider.

As far as consistency of when the AMG is held, I think we have been somewhat consistent.

Toronto was in September
Montreal was in August
San Francisco was in September
Mexico City was in August

In other words we (granted by coincidence I suspect) have alternated back and forth each year.  Maybe that's a pattern that offers the best compromise.  I don't know.

Is the Chandler available in September too?  Just in case that's what ends up being decided.

RAB   ;D

Edit to add:   Since either month is fine with me, rather than change my vote, I just removed it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 12:39:17 pm by RAB »

Offline allanq

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 01:53:57 pm »
Dennis,

One way to reduce the stress of planning an AMG would be to take yourself out of the CD and T-shirt business. I'm sure both those projects take up a good deal of time. If someone else wants to step in and take over those projects, that would be nice. However, the success of an AMG is not dependent on T-shirts or CDs.

Another possibility for reducing stress would be to not deal with having entertainment at the meet & greet. I didn't attend the Mexico City AMG, but I'm sure that the slide show you put together took up a fair number of hours. I know that for the SF AMG you put in a lot of work lining up entertainment and renting audio equipment. The truth is, the meet & greet would have been a great success even without the entertainment.

Fritz's Bar at the Chandler hotel is a good friendly neighborhood bar that would be a perfect venue for the social hours, so my guess is that it would not be necessary to make any additional plans for the social hour.

You could also remove yourself completely from the excursion and event planning and let others take on that role. I sense that there are a several members who have attended previous AMGs who would be able to plan some group events, as Jan has already been doing with the memorial service.

At this date, I'm not sure if I will be able to go to the AMG in Boston, but if I do (and unless the economy completely crashes, the chances are pretty good), I would be glad to plan one or two group walks. Boston is one of the great walking towns of the U.S., and, unlike San Francisco, it is mostly level. I don't know Boston that well, but with the help of guidebooks and information available online, I'm sure I can put together an enjoyable group walk or two.

Allan

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 04:18:19 pm »
I appreciate your comments Allan.  If I took your advise though, then my job is done.  Unfortunately, when I undertake a project, I put my all into it.  I won't do something unless I can do it "right".  I'm anal retentive that way. One of the jobs, in my opinion, as a coordinator is to have a vision.  My vision for Boston, due to the estimated large attendance, far exceeds that of what I did in San Francisco.  And unless the basics are squared away in a timely manner I can't proceed with planning. 

And you are correct about Fritz bar being the perfect place for the social hour.  That's one reason I presented the Chandler Inn to the group. 

If all the group is looking for is a destination and hotel to gather in, than there really is no need for a coordinator.  Is there?

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 05:37:07 pm »
I appreciate your comments Allan.  If I took your advise though, then my job is done.

Not true, but more on that in a moment.
  Unfortunately, when I undertake a project, I put my all into it.  I won't do something unless I can do it "right".  I'm anal retentive that way.

And I think we all have seen evidence of that in both San Francisco and Mexico City.  You've done a stellar job.

One of the jobs, in my opinion, as a coordinator is to have a vision.  My vision for Boston, due to the estimated large attendance, far exceeds that of what I did in San Francisco.

And that anticipated vision might be a perfect reason for you to be willing to let others take on some of the different projects.  In fact, I think the more people that are involved in the planning and orchestration, the more momentum that can be built.

And unless the basics are squared away in a timely manner I can't proceed with planning. 

Actually, we're only 6 weeks out from AMG 08, what you have accomplished thus far has been amazing.  So try and be a little patient.

And you are correct about Fritz bar being the perfect place for the social hour.  That's one reason I presented the Chandler Inn to the group. 

I think we've recognized the positives of why you recommended the Chandler and have essentially endorsed it.  Good job I say.

If all the group is looking for is a destination and hotel to gather in, than there really is no need for a coordinator.  Is there?

Actually Dennis there will always be a need for a coordinator.  Someone to keep things moving forward and try and respond to the majority consensus.  But the coordinator has to take his/her cues from those members who are invested in attending.  Allowing for honest feedback and expression of opinion.  You've handled this masterfully in the past as is evident in the success of both San Francisco and Mexico City.  But I think Allan's suggestions are something you should take to heart. 

For instance, the tshirt project is something I'd be willing to take responsibility for. I'd commit to soliciting suggestions from members, I'd be willing to orchestrate the deciding vote, and I'd shlep the darn things to Boston.  That offers the potential for you to focus your limited availability on the broader vision you mentioned.  I don't know nothing about burning CDs.  The only two things I know how to burn are supper and candles  ::), so I can't possibly help with that one.

I'm excited about Allan's offer to plan a group walk (lord knows that man loves his walks--and he's VERY good at them) because it would give us another chance to do something together as a group.

To Robert:

When do you anticipate concluding the "date" vote?  It seems to me that is the next major decision to be resolved. 

RAB

Offline allanq

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 06:11:53 pm »
It looks like planning a group walk in Boston will be very easy. "The Freedom Trail is a 2.5 mile red-brick walking trail that leads you to 16 nationally significant historic sites, every one an authentic American treasure."  Here's the official website for the walk: Freedom Trail

I could look into other walks as well.

Allan

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 07:02:38 pm »
Hello Everyone:   ;D

I just find myself asking:  "Is this really that big of a deal?"

I mean seriously think about it, at the most we're talking about a 4 or 5 week window of difference.  Are our lives so busy and complicated that we can't possibly anticipate/plan for a gathering that is still nearly a year away?   Am I missing something?

Surely, there has got to be some way for us to recognize that in the whole big scheme of things it doesn't matter whether the month is August or September. (Again I add, "unless I'm missing something") What matters is that we give ourselves the opportunity to gather.  What matters is that given the opportunity, members have the choice of making the decision to attend or not.
What matters is that we don't get deadlocked in things that really aren't that important, but instead look toward the possibility of a gathering with hopeful anticipation.  Sounds smarmy I know, but that's how I feel.

RAB

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 02:28:17 pm »
I voted August just cause - cause it works just fine for me.

I'll attend regardless of when it is.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 10:31:52 pm »
Dearest Friends,

While Thom and I are comfortable with either August or September, we have voted for August because we think it best suits some of our very special members (D&D).  We also hope that August will attract a member from Upstate NY who has issues with the school year.  Yes, RB we're talking about you.

We both hope that our much loved Coordinator will reconsider his decision to pull back from the next AMG.  He has done such a remarkable job over the past 4+ years negotiating the hotel accommodations.  We want you Dennis.  You just have to learn how to deligate some of the details to other members who are very willing to help.

Let's settle on a date frame soon.  Some members have to bid for their vacation weeks within weeks.  Let's not let them down.

With warmest regards and all our love, Ric & Thom

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 12:33:26 am »
Hello Everyone,

I appreciate and have listened to and processed your feedback.  However, please keep in mind that I have requested assistance in the past.  There have been few who have stepped up to the plate and then never followed through. Don't worry, I won't call you out.

I'm glad that there are several of you who are willing to take over a task. I have not doubt, that with a team in place, AMG 2009 will be even more successful than those in the past.

Dennis

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 08:54:01 pm »
Always the last to know things....So, AMG 09 is in Boston? I would still like to go, I know I say this every year and one thing or another keeps me from going. But Boston is closer to me than the other places. I voted for August because I don't like traveling in the winter.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 06:57:38 am »
I voted August because there is a dear friend who is a professor in Canada, that can't be absent for the opening days of school. We haven't seen him since Montreal, and I have missed him very much.
Having our gathering in September makes so much financial sense because of the reduced rates, but we do have a few who are committed in early Sept. I don't have a real preference(save the fact that I don't do heat well), so all I need to know is when and where.

Dennis, I'm sorry you are having such a stressful time with all of this. I wish I had a talent that could benefit the cause. I am willing to tackle any simple tasks, if I can be helpful. Phone calls, taking census,....I'm generally good with mundane tasks. Your leadership and enthusiasm have been indespensable for each of the gatherings, and I hope you can find a way to stay on, and not let this take over your life. I am so looking forward to seeing everyne again next year, especially since I missed this year.
Can't wait to kiss your face.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 12:12:04 pm »
Either month works fine for me, but I voted for August for the same reason as a few others:  there are a few here and there who are involved with school (through employment or as students) who may have an easier time making it in August.  I can go either way, though.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2008, 05:29:09 pm »
Hey Robert/Dennis/AMG Coordinator:

;D

So can we assume that the decision has been decided (good lord what the heck does that mean  ???)?

RAB

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 05:57:42 pm »
Hey Robert/Dennis/AMG Coordinator:

;D

So can we assume that the decision has been decided (good lord what the heck does that mean  ???)?

RAB

O.K. I'm going to ask this again.   ::)

Since the majority who voted selected August, are we to assume that AMG--09 Boston will be held on the dates of August 6 - 10?  (Which I believe were the original dates mentioned by the Coordinator in the hotel thread)?

It seems to me that now that the month has been decided then the dates originally suggested are the ones we should go with.

Barring some unforseen problem, I'd suggest we just set the dates and "keep on truckin".   :D

RAB

AMG--09
BOSTON

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 06:01:42 pm »
BUMP...

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Robert

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 06:47:32 pm »

Well, yeah, I guess so.  Let me get a note off to the AMG guy to see if it's official.....sorry I'm just so 'duh!!!'

robert

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.