Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:47:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 592
Total: 593

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Kissing with blood involved  (Read 10385 times)

Offline Afraid111

• Standard
Kissing with blood involved
« on: January 16, 2024, 08:27:36 am »
Hey,

could you tell me if there was a risk?
In November I engaged in deep kissing with a guy. About 20 minutes later I licked over my lip and I tasted some blood. I didn't have any wounds on my lips or in my mouth at the time, so I assume, that it was not my own blood but his. Now I am afraid, that he was bleeding during our kiss. While kissing I didn't taste any blood, but both of us were chewing bubble gum. I am afraid that he was bleeding but I didn't taste any blood because of the gum I was chewing.
I also gave him a handjob. We didn't have any sex.
The guy I kissed slept with a woman of unknown status 3 months before our kiss and didn't use any protection. About 75 hours later (which I know is too late) he went on PeP. He lied to the doctor and told him, that the unprotected sex has happened 1 day before, that's why the doctor prescribed PeP to him although it was already too late. He tested negative by ELISA 6 days after finishing PeP (which is waaaay too early), but refused to get tested another time after that.
Now I am afraid that that he might be HIV-positive with a current high viral load in the millions.

Since that day I am living in constant fear, but I am afraid of getting tested because I am afraid of a positive result.
I've been reading a lot of posts on this forum in the last few days and in similar cases people were told that they didn't have any risk, but my anxiety is getting the best of me and of course I think that my case is absolutely different from any other cases that happened before.
I also have another question: Why is it a risk to perform cunnilingus on a woman who is currently on her period and is bleeding while there is no risk in kissing with blood involved? Where is the difference? I mean...blood is blood and to me it doesn't matter where it comes from.

Kind regards and thanks for answering me!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 08:32:32 am by Jim Allen »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Kissing with blood involved
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 08:40:30 am »
The guy I kissed slept with a woman of unknown status 3 months before our kiss and didn't use any protection.

Irrelevant

About 75 hours later (which I know is too late) he went on PeP. He lied to the doctor and told him, that the unprotected sex has happened 1 day before, that's why the doctor prescribed PeP to him although it was already too late. He tested negative by ELISA 6 days after finishing PeP (which is waaaay too early), but refused to get tested another time after that.

Also irrelevant

In November I engaged in deep kissing with a guy. About 20 minutes later I licked over my lip and I tasted some blood. I didn't have any wounds on my lips or in my mouth at the time

So you kissed a guy, and 20 minutes later, you think you tasted blood but had no wounds.

I've been reading a lot of posts on this forum in the last few days and in similar cases people were told that they didn't have any risk

Perfect. You know the answer already. It's not an HIV risk.

Why is it a risk to perform cunnilingus on a woman who is currently on her period and is bleeding while there is no risk in kissing with blood involved? Where is the difference?

Well, the mouth and the vagina are different but it's generally not an HIV concern.

I removed your question about the other organization's claims based on a 1994 story.
Now, I don't represent them and therefore can't answer for them.

However, what I can say is this is generally misunderstood as it did not prove kissing was an HIV risk. When directly asked, the same organization has stated and admitted more recently that they have zero documented cases. Why they then hold onto outdated information/stories from before the HAART era, I don't know, but feel free to ask them instead of us.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 09:02:02 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 08:48:17 am »
Move on with your life. Use condoms for any intercourse, consider PrEP as an additional layer of prevention, and as you are sexually active, get an STI & HIV screening yearly.

Here's what you need to know to reduce your HIV risks:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse correctly and consistently, with no exceptions. Consider talking to your healthcare provider about PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV

Keep in mind that some sexual practices described as safe in terms of acquiring HIV still pose a risk for other easier-acquired STIs. So please do get tested at least yearly for STIs, including but not limited to HIV, and more frequently if condomless intercourse occurs.

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms; testing is the only way to know.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV" Forum, you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post, which will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread, and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be removed.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Afraid111

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 10:05:28 am »
Thank you very much for answering me!

So it wouldn't make any difference if he was actually bleeding during our kiss and had a very, very high viral load? This would still be a no-risk-situation?
Is it recommended to go on PeP after kissing someone with a high viral load who was bleeding during the kiss? I'm feeling a bit irresponsable because I didn't reconsider PeP for this situation.
Could you also tell me which STDs are transmitted easily through kissing or mutual masturbation?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 10:38:09 am »
I've already answered that the kiss situation you posted about here wasn't an HIV risk to you. I'm not sure why you are asking again, as the answer isn't going to change.

There was no HIV risk and no exposure; therefore, no PEP or testing is needed outside of standard yearly screening. Hence, I said:
Move on with your life. Use condoms for any intercourse, consider PrEP as an additional layer of prevention, and as you are sexually active, get an STI & HIV screening yearly.

Could you also tell me which STDs are transmitted easily through kissing or mutual masturbation?

Well, this is an HIV forum, not STIs, but in short, kissing; the risks include Herpes as this can spread through skin contact during viral shredding. Deep kissing could be a risk for Syphilis, Chlamydia and maybe a remote risk of Gonorrhea. I am sure there are a few more.

There is no need to panic or run out to test every time you kiss someone or jerk them off; just remember to get an STI screening yearly.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Afraid111

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 01:38:51 pm »
Thank you very much for answering.
I hope nobody here feels discriminated by my question. I am trying my best to accept that there wasn't any risk, but my anxiety is telling me otherwise. I always think that I'm sort of a medical sensation and the first person on earth who got infected this way.  :-[
And I made the mistake to read so many stories on the internet which totally confused me. I also had fever 5 days after this incident and now, 7 weeks later, I found 2 swollen lymph nodes near my throat and now I'm totally freaking out and don't know how to calm down.
Anyways, thank you very much again for the service you are providing here, Jim and I wish you the best. :)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 07:57:15 pm »
You're welcome. There was no HIV risk.

My only additional comment would be that if these HIV & STI fears are a barrier or are becoming a barrier to your sex life, then consider talking to a psychiatrist. 
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Afraid111

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2024, 12:59:45 pm »
Hello,

unfortunately I'm back with another worry. 12 days ago I met the same guy, we kissed again and I gave him a handjob. We didn't have any sex. My problem is, that I had a wound on my thumb from scratching it. The wound wasn't bleeding but I pulled away a big peace of skin and you could see the new fresh skin underneath. The wound was also a bit wet. So a had a plaster on (I'm sorry, english is not my primary languge). After giving the guy a handjob some semen landed on my hand but I used a tissue to wipe it away. After that I wanted to put a new plaster on and I rubbed the old one off. Whilst doing that I touched the wound with my other fingers which had semen on it before. It burned.
Was there a risk?
I called my national aids-hotline today and the employee seemed to be a bit unsure. He asked when this incident happend and when I said that it happened almost 2 weeks ago he became quite and said "Oh, there are medications you can take within 72 hours to prevent an infection, but now it's too late."
Now I'm totally freaking out.
Could you please help me and tell me if there was a risk?

Offline Afraid111

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2024, 01:05:08 pm »
I am so afraid and I've been crying the whole day.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2024, 01:24:35 pm »
Zero HIV risk.

Day-to-day cuts, wounds or skin issues are not a route for you to acquire HIV next to other barriers to your concern.

Reading the entire thread again, I would urge you to talk to your healthcare provider about PrEP. (Pre-exposure prophylaxis) this is a medication that will provide an additional layer of HIV prevention, not that you need it, but it will hopefully provide some peace of mind during any future sexual encounters, next, I would recommend you consider talking to a psychiatrist about sex and your emotional issues + irrational fears and lastly stop calling 1984...
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2024, 01:27:19 pm »
My only additional comment would be that if these HIV & STI fears are a barrier or are becoming a barrier to your sex life, then consider talking to a psychiatrist.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Afraid111

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2024, 01:30:20 pm »
Thank you very much for answering me!

But the wound seemed to be deep...you could see the "meat" underneath. Is this still a no risk situation?

I didn't have sex in 4 years and I'm not planing to have sex anytime soon. Would you still recommend taking prep?

The guy from the aids-hotline really gave me anxiety.

Offline Afraid111

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2024, 01:33:57 pm »
And what are the other barriers you are talking about?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2024, 01:38:34 pm »
And what are the other barriers you are talking about?

Lack of route and the concern ends there... also lack of viable exposure and a few other irrelevant things in this story.

But the wound seemed to be deep...you could see the "meat" underneath. Is this still a no risk situation?

Asked and answered. You did not mention bleeding to death and stitches, you mentioned a plaster, and functional enough to give a handjob, it's not an HIV concern.,

I didn't have sex in 4 years and I'm not planing to have sex anytime soon. Would you still recommend taking prep?

Yeah, as part of your mental health not for HIV prevention. Also, you have had sex ... sexual activity, includes kissing, touching genitals, and oral sex, its not only penetration and depending on how you view the topic, sexting, and sexual talk also is part of sexual activity.

You have been kissing people and giving them handjobs. You have had sex, prehaps sad sex, but it's still sex, end of the story. It's another reason to talk to a therapist, get on PrEP and after that have some good sex. Be happy, go do, you live only once.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 01:41:05 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2024, 01:41:57 pm »
I wish you well but don't ask again about handjobs or kissing, as ill consider it excessive and issue a ban out of kindness.

Thank you!
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Afraid111

• Standard
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2024, 01:54:24 pm »
I am sorry that I am bothering you with all of my questions, but I have no one to talk about this issue.

Of course you are right. Mutual masturbation is also sex. Not penetrative sex, but yes, you are right.

I will talk about prep with my doctor.

I have one last question: Is there some way to get infected with hiv sexually through anything else than unprotected vaginal/anal sex? I've read that oral sex is not a big concern. Are there any cases where people got infected sexually through anything else than anal/vagina or oral sex?
I know that it is possible to get hiv from sharing drug needles, but as you know I am worried about sexual encounters...
Have you seen anyone in this forum acquire hiv through any sexual contact besides unprotected penetrative or oral sex?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2024, 02:33:33 pm »
In short, your adult risks of acquiring HIV are limited:

- Sex; Condomless intercourse & a minute (more theoretical than true) HIV risk when giving a blowjob.
- Sharing IV drug rigs (Syringes)
- Blood transfusions (Rare thanks to screening in most nations)

Have you seen anyone in this forum acquire hiv through any sexual contact besides unprotected penetrative or oral sex?

Short answer, No.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Afraid111

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2024, 02:37:14 pm »
Thank you very much!

Offline Afraid111

• Standard
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2024, 12:09:41 pm »
Hello Jim,

on the internet I've read that hiv becomes inactive (or dead?) when it comes into contact with air. Do you know how long this process takes?
I don't really understand why I would need a deep open wound to come into contact with infectious material to get infect. Does it really matter? When semen or blood is exposed to air and becomes inactive...why is it still a danger if this semen comes into contact with a deep, gaping wound?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2024, 12:27:50 pm »
Hello Jim,

on the internet I've read that hiv becomes inactive (or dead?) when it comes into contact with air. Do you know how long this process takes?
I don't really understand why I would need a deep open wound to come into contact with infectious material to get infect. Does it really matter? When semen or blood is exposed to air and becomes inactive...why is it still a danger if this semen comes into contact with a deep, gaping wound?

You didn't have deep wounds, so it's a totally irrelevant question and a waste of time for you to be looking into... get back to me when you get into a knife fight and both of you are bleeding to half to death into each other's wounds and my answer would be that you have far bigger issues than HIV to worry about.

Semen in a wound on the body isn't a concern, I've never heard of anyone putting their penis inside someone's wound that requires urgent medical attention, I heard of the Dutch boy and his finger plugging a leak but penis would be a new one.

As for the exposure to air its also irrelevant as it's only one barrier and doesn't make any difference as you didn't even have a route to acquire HIV ...

Move on with your life, talk to a therapist. 28 day ban

« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 12:52:44 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.