HIV Prevention and Testing > Do I Have HIV?

What is my risk level?

(1/2) > >>

Concernedquestions:
Hello, worried to death right now. I am considering whether I should get PEP or not as my 72 hour window is closing in about 2 days.

I was the club the other night when I randomly felt a slight itch/tingle/prickling feeling on my lower leg. It was very packed so it could have been anything or anyone. I donít specifically remember seeing anyone injecting anything or any syringe anywhere near me in my peripheral vision.

Now I sometimes get leg acne that causes similar symptoms. However, given the specific context, I am now terrified at the possibility of being injected with a syringe for of HIV blood.

I went home and was horrified to see a red mark. Now once again I do sometimes get acne that looks the same. If this happened at home I would think nothing of it. I do remember I also had a thin layer of skin on top of the red mark. It could possibly just be an itchy zit or scab and it just started to itch/prick right in that moment. My sibling is in the medical field and looked at the photo and said it looks more like a regular scab than a needle mark, but that they are not 100% sure.

I was wearing a very thin nylon jacket and some pants underneath it. Iím not sure if that mitigates the risk.

Say I did get injected by a syringe with positive blood. Both through the thin jacket and pants. It couldnít have been too deep as the pain was not too intense. This was not a definitive 100% needle pain I felt but I am just not sure in this context. But what are the chances of infection then, and should I get on pep before my 72 hour window closes.

Thanks.

(Edit by admin, removed link to image)

Jim Allen:
Hiya,

It's not an HIV concern.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions.  Consider starting PrEP as an additional layer of HIV prevention going forward.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as safe in terms of HIV might still pose a risk for transmission of other far easier to acquire STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM, I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

Concernedquestions:
What makes you say this? If I did get injected for some reason, would it not be a very high risk?

Jim Allen:

--- Quote from: Concernedquestions on January 10, 2022, 03:54:29 pm ---What makes you say this? If I did get injected for some reason, would it not be a very high risk?

--- End quote ---

It's not a needle stick injury and nobody injected you with blood in your lower leg at the club. So thankfully you will not be making headline news anytime soon.

If this was the only concern then relax and move on with your life.

Concernedquestions:
I live in a very unfortunately crime ridden city where there are a lot of twisted people. I am just very concerned right now at that specific scenario.

You say it is not a needle stick, is that based off what it appears to be in the photos?

I truly hope you are right. Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version